S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Re: Spike Dies: Season 2 Info/Spoilers/Speculation Station

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Frosthawk wrote:Is it possible they have a new show-opener this season? Something tells me that at least the Twilight clip may be from something like that.
Didn't Daniel Ingram say something about this at one point? I want to say I remember hearing that there wouldn't be a new opening but there might be a different version of the theme song. Or maybe that there wouldn't be a new theme song but there would be a different version of it. I could just be making that up, though.

At any rate, it doesn't strike me as something that'd be from the opener. The background is almost identical to the one we see when Twilight pulls out that pill in A Bird in the Hoof, so there's no reason why it wouldn't be from an episode.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Throbulator wrote:
I can't put a finger on the location. Anyone want to give a stab what the thing on the wall is supposed to be?

That's the window in her bedroom, next to that scarf-hanger she uses in Winter Wrap-up.
ImageImageImageImage

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Twilight has the occasional ACTION SHOT like that. Remember the pills?

Throbulator

Post by Throbulator » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Grilox wrote:
That's the window in her bedroom, next to that scarf-hanger she uses in Winter Wrap-up.
Yeah, I think you're right about that. Though the scarf hanger is her cuckoo clock.

VaultAggie

Post by VaultAggie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Calling dibs on the angry Celestia as an av when we get a clearer version of it. :smug:

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:01 am

VaultAggie wrote:Calling dibs on the angry Celestia as an av when we get a clearer version of it. :smug:
Ballin'. Our first season 2 avatar reservation.

blonk

Post by blonk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:11 am

I was going to ask to see if the video was up anywhere else (the photobucket AND youtube ones have both been taken down/privatized) but it seems like Throbulator basically covered it. Good work!

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:53 am

blonk wrote:I was going to ask to see if the video was up anywhere else (the photobucket AND youtube ones have both been taken down/privatized) but it seems like Throbulator basically covered it. Good work!
The uploader pulled it because he got a better-quality version.

Westy543
RIP old forums

Post by Westy543 (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:15 am

So, higher quality screencap it is!

Edit: And because #equestriadaily requested it (protip: expand the thumbnail)

Edit2: Yeah #eqd is pretty much insane http://westy.cncfps.com/Pics/MLP/angrycelestia.svg here have this automated vector trace!

reidransom

Post by reidransom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:52 am

Looking at it now, I'd say they're all just squinting, aside from Pinkie, who is immune to all such things.

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:56 am

You know, my interest in ponies was waning and I was figuring on dropping out until season 2 rolled around and renewed my interest. Then these tidbits dropped and I'm all :ponydrugs: again.

I wonder if the first shot of Twilight comes from the same episode as the previous leaked images, both seem to be happening at night with Twilight in the library. with the revolver
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

SoundBlastin'

Post by SoundBlastin' » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 pm

That is some serious "do you know who you're fucking with?" face going on there. Especically with the blink.

S2 is going to have villains, yeah? I could see it having to do with that. Just fdlgkndf;gler gerlisdfsdfdsf at the wait. Stupid august.

numsOic

Post by numsOic » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Westy543 wrote:Yeah #eqd is pretty much insane
Protip to those who want a huge-ass resized shot of a blurry video: wait until a real HD rip of the ad comes out, then go nuts. Or, commission a vector trace by one of those guys on deviantArt if you're that desperate.

I wonder how many of these people were in the "DANIEL INGRAM SAID HE'D RELEASE A SONG SOON IT'S ALREADY BEEN THREE HOURS" group.

Westy543
RIP old forums

Post by Westy543 (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:50 pm

numsOic wrote:Protip to those who want a huge-ass resized shot of a blurry video: wait until a real HD rip of the ad comes out, then go nuts.
Yeah it was pretty much tongue-in-cheek resizing/running it through vector magic. It's pretty obvious we can't glean anything from a few frames, no point in actually vectoring it, especially not from such a low quality. The lighting isn't standard either. :spike101:

As for Season 2, it better have an overarching villain. It'll be kind of hard to top Nightmare Moon.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Zoom in and enhance! :haw:

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Now that I take another look at it, I think the problem with trying to figure out what's going on in that shot is that Pinkie kind of blends in with Fluttershy's hair and it turns both of them into a blurry mess so you can't really tell what their expressions are. Applejack and Rarity don't look too happy, though.

It's probably just Celestia being upset at Luna for something relatively harmless but I still hope it'll end up being a "shit just got real" moment because that'd be kind of badass.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:56 pm

One thing about this promo that suddenly makes me happy: This is confirmation that the girls will be going back to Canterlot for at least one episode this season.

:awesomedash: :crack: :D

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:39 pm

numsOic wrote: I wonder how many of these people were in the "DANIEL INGRAM SAID HE'D RELEASE A SONG SOON IT'S ALREADY BEEN THREE HOURS" group.
Hahaha
A layout artist will spend all day on a few seconds of animation and consider himself flying.

Badass?! How can Princess Rainbow SparkleHorse be badass?!
And yet, here we are.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:48 pm

OpposingFarce wrote:It's probably just Celestia being upset at Luna for something relatively harmless but I still hope it'll end up being a "shit just got real" moment because that'd be kind of badass.
When they open the chamber and pan the shot around, watch it be Luna in a Hannibal Lecter-style holding cell, complete with muzzle and straight jacket.

"Hello Claricestia- I mean, Celestia...

Strangething
Eventually that's going to stop working, Twilight.

Post by Strangething (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Casual Viewing wrote: Celestia is opening a door of some sort, and the ponies are wincing while she has a big serious face.
I think the other ponies are shielding their eyes against the Ominous Glow from inside the door. Celestia isn't affected, because a sun goddess has to have tough eyes.

:chillin:
The poster formerly known as Strangepony.
I do nothing but play Warframe and Overwatch now. :-I

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:22 pm

So there's a rumor floating around that season 2 will start on September 17th with this episode:

"The Return of Harmony" - Discord escapes from his stone prison and Twilight and her friends act quickly to find the Elements of Harmony to stop him.

Normally I'd dismiss it as a fake and wouldn't even bring it up, except

I won't rule out the possibility that it's just an elaborate impersonation, but they appear to be legit. I don't know that the airdate is correct or even if that particular episode will actually be the season opener, but it does appear to be a real description.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I was taking the whole thing with a big grain of salt, but since that episode description is apparently real, I'm much more willing to cautiously trust the whole thing.

:awesomedash:
Last edited by BartonFink on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Pony

Post by Electric Pony » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm

OpposingFarce wrote:So there's a rumor floating around that season 2 will start on September 17th with this episode:

"The Return of Harmony" - Discord escapes from his stone prison and Twilight and her friends act quickly to find the Elements of Harmony to stop him.

Normally I'd dismiss it as a fake and wouldn't even bring it up, except

I won't rule out the possibility that it's just an elaborate impersonation, but they appear to be legit. I don't know that the airdate is correct or even if that particular episode will actually be the season opener, but it does appear to be a real description.
Well, if nothing else the description seems real. So, who is Discord? Is he/she/it the overarching villain we have been wondering would appear? I'm not real good on MLP history, has Discord ever been mentioned before?

Also, I wonder where this stone prison is. Canterlot?

The great M

Re: Spike Dies: S2 Discussion - SEASON 2 PREMIERE DATE (MAYB

Post by The great M » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Strange, didn't someone say the first two episodes would be the ones they made for season 1? That description doesn't sound like something they would have made for that.

Electric Pony

Post by Electric Pony » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:38 pm

The great M wrote:Strange, didn't someone say the first two episodes would be the ones they made for season 1? That description doesn't sound like something they would have made for that.
I was reading the comments at the posting on EqD about this and the Sabrina person is adding little bits of info. She says this episode was actually made for last season but was not aired. She says more info will show up tomorrow. Not sure who Sabrina is but if she isn't real it's one hell of a good troll.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Sabrina is also known as Sibsy, who works on the show. Here's her DeviantArt: http://sibsy.deviantart.com/
And here's the blogger account she used to give the info, around since 2008: http://www.blogger.com/profile/08105085436863164485

If this is a troll it's a brilliant one. I'm cautiously buying it for now.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:44 pm

:awesomedash:

I'm willing to bet that it's at most a two-parter, so I wouldn't worry too much. The way Sibsy talks, the two S1 episodes were supposed to be the original season finale. I guess they decided to make them the S2 opener instead.
VVVV
Last edited by mochabean on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reidransom

Post by reidransom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:48 pm

I gotta say, I'm a bit skeptical about them introducing a villain, but I trust the production crew to make it good.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Don't wanna ruin the mystique by trying to think too hard about the summary, but still... so wait, they have to find the Elements again? What, did they all lose their necklaces in the past year or something? :rariwhat:

Still, my curiosity as to how the team will write a pilot-esque big bad adventure story now after having a whole season of character development and slice-of-life injokes under their belt is, to say the least, piqued.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:10 pm

More info from that thread, since Sibsy is in a "tell things" kinda mood:
- The episode is apparently a two-parter. The reveal of this info involved our old buddy Kein, oddly enough, heh.
- S2 might have more adventury episodes like Dragonshy/pilot, though not much more info than that.
- The two parter is therefore presumably the two unaired episodes leftover from s1.

Also updating the OP with this info and stuff~

Walkin Goon

Post by Walkin Goon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Originally posted this in the Hoofington Post thread, but it's probably better suited here:
______

I don't know why, but the name of the new villain is giving me theatrical madhatter/trickster vibes, possibly in the vein of HIM. And the need to rediscover the elements of harmony: friendship troubles, maybe?
:nngh:

Too soon to call anything, anyway, though I wonder if there's a slight chance that it'll be a two-parter, like the first season's premier was.
Xavier Genisi wrote:Man, I hope that date is official. Or at least the start date is in September. Season 2 can't come fast enough.
I wasn't expecting anything until mid-October myself.
Also, this long ponyless summer...finally over? It feels so, strange. Image

Maximum Tomfoolery
formerly Maximum Horseplay

Post by Maximum Tomfoolery (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:25 pm

My money is on "Discord" being the evil magical force that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon, and he/she/it is still at large.

Side bet: They kinda forgot about the Elements, thinking they wouldn't need them anymore, so they go through the forest to get to the ruins to search for the elements all over again. They mistakenly believe the elements are hidden in some trinkets or rocks or something, when in fact the power was inside of them all along.

edit: Then Pinkie throws a party. :pinkietoot: There will be at least two parties in the first two episodes combined.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Welp, nothing left to do but wait now.

p.s. I have never, ever in my life anticipated the season premiere of anything. What has this fandom done to me :gonkity:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Durandal wrote: p.s. I have never, ever in my life anticipated the season premiere of anything. What has this fandom done to me :gonkity:
Something magical, that's what.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm actually looking forward to the Community premiere, whenever that is.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:53 pm

FYI:
sibsy is a storyboard artist

and caakies(?) on DA who had the early g4 designs is Nicole Gauss - character designer

Durandal wrote: p.s. I have never, ever in my life anticipated the season premiere of anything. What has this fandom done to me :gonkity:
Yeah well.
Con: College kids will be taking midterms by then. :chillin:
Pro: 26 new episodes

Oh wow. An honest to goodness villain? And they're not ignoring the pilot? Well that's interesting.
Last edited by Scuderia on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:01 am

Maximum Horseplay wrote:My money is on "Discord" being the evil magical force that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon, and he/she/it is still at large.
I sure hope so. What kind of pony would name their child "Discord?" Only some messed-up Negative Nancy kind of pony, that's who! And there be no such thing in Equestria

...AFAWK...
ImageImageImage

Blarghalt
Gaze into the Abyss, until the Abyss awkwardly comes up with a reason to leave.
Patreon platinum

Post by Blarghalt (?) » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

Are you kidding? I would so name my kid something villainous if it meant they'd grow up to be a badass.

Everyone, meet BONECRUSH BILLY. :black101:

Henry Plainview

Post by Henry Plainview » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 am

BartonFink wrote:The reveal of this info involved our old buddy Kein, oddly enough, heh.
I can't get away from him either, he posts on ponibooru a lot now, so a post by him is often the source when ED posts art I haven't seen before...

I wonder if their goal was to remake Mare in the Moon/Elements of Harmony, but actually good, because the similarities sound more than trivial. It would be interesting if they took this approach. That might be their only way out to explain Nightmare Moon without tainting Luna's character too much, although if I were a child I would be kind of disturbed by themes of possession.

And I cannot believe that new ponies may be less than a month away.

r.t.

Post by r.t. » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:18 am

Blarghalt wrote:Are you kidding? I would so name my kid something villainous if it meant they'd grow up to be a badass.

Everyone, meet BONECRUSH BILLY. :black101:
I'm sorry, but your son will grow up to be a mook tier villain at best. My boy Sinestrevil will be happy to give him a job though, I'm sure.