spoilers

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Daikatuna

spoilers

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Daikatuna

Re: spoilers

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm

stop posting spoilers you bastard, some people haven't seen these before
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:20 pm

The Ghost of Ember wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm
stop posting spoilers you bastard, some people haven't seen these before

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

The best thing about this spoiler is it's completely stock. Gotta love the Plymouth Super Bird.
👉👉🥜🏠

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 pm

that's a big spoiler

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:26 pm

/drs
👉👉🥜🏠

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 pm

nice

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:31 pm

RIP Group B

Also RIP Group B Spectators, you crazy idiots.
👉👉🥜🏠

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm

there will never be something like group b

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm

The IOMTT comes pretty close, and not just the motorbike races. There have been some cars tearing up Snaefell circuit from time to time.
Last edited by West Filly on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
👉👉🥜🏠

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm

post more group b spoilers
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Dong Strongly
What I am now
Patreon supporter

Post by Dong Strongly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Thicc like molasses thx 4 askin
:sweetielarm: Image :sweetielarm:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

What to do when a huge piece of steel weighing at least a metric tonne is going to be travelling at over 60mph?

That's right, get a crowd of hundreds of people to stand exactly where it's coming through, see if you can all duck out of the way at the last moment.
👉👉🥜🏠

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:09 pm

W.T. Fits wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:13 pm
put that behind a spoiler box at least
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 pm

I should hate it. These old Japanese cars are worth a lot in stock/restored condition. They're copycats of old US muscle cars as well as being the early models in long lasting car ranges. I think this would once have been an early Nissan Skyline. It's now sliced up and garish, probably worth less than it could have been if the same efforts were put into restoring it.

I just can't hate it though. It looks like it came out of a comic book and that's awesome.
👉👉🥜🏠

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:10 pm

ooph

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:10 pm

that's got style, yeah

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:12 pm

West Filly wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

What to do when a huge piece of steel weighing at least a metric tonne is going to be travelling at over 60mph?

That's right, get a crowd of hundreds of people to stand exactly where it's coming through, see if you can all duck out of the way at the last moment.
ohhh yeahhhh that's the good stuff right in my veins goddamn
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm

also actually Group B cars were pretty light because they were so stripped down and had shitloads of light materials like kevlar used. it's why they were so ridiculous, high power + low mass = car go fast

Group B was purebred, glorious, insanity. it's like everyone was masturbating over how crazy fast and powerful they could make the cars with the lack of strict regulations and also innovations like four wheel drive making it far easier to handle that kind of power on low traction conditions

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm

it was a short, but utterly insane moment in rallying history

stuff
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by stuff (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:18 pm

here;s one: snape killed jesus

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm

mushroom kingdom

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 pm

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm
also actually Group B cars were pretty light because they were so stripped down and had shitloads of light materials like kevlar used. it's why they were so ridiculous, high power + low mass = car go fast

Group B was purebred, glorious, insanity. it's like everyone was masturbating over how crazy fast and powerful they could make the cars with the lack of strict regulations and also innovations like four wheel drive making it far easier to handle that kind of power on low traction conditions
This is my issue with F1. They've gotten way too wanky with the health and safety/control/competition nonsense. Sure the cars are faster now but the raw turbo era F1 cars were thrilling in a way these new computer controlled hybrids can never be

👉👉🥜🏠

Dong Strongly
What I am now
Patreon supporter

Post by Dong Strongly (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 am

West Filly wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 pm
This is my issue with F1. They've gotten way too wanky with the health and safety/control/competition nonsense. Sure the cars are faster now but the raw turbo era F1 cars were thrilling in a way these new computer controlled hybrids can never be

The bleeding edge of performance is inherently unsafe. Taking steps to mitigate those dangers isn’t wankery. Besides, there’s still plenty of risk to the drivers’ lives even if it isn’t thrilling enough for you.

The thing I like about these top tier motorsports is how everything is about compromise. The most aerodynamic profile would have a driver laying completely flat watching the road through a periscope but the best visibility would come from having the drivers head up over the top of the car. The compromise is a mostly recumbent position where the driver can just barely see over the cockpit/nose. Other compromises are the wings’ AOA and ride height/ground effect and tire rubber hardness. There’s an incredible amount of thought put into the trade offs that come from adjusting one thing or another and in that regard it’s more of a contest of wits, like chess, instead of brute force, like arm wrestling. If the latter is the thrill you’re looking for, maybe look into top fuel drag racing. That shit is purestrain “more is more” although there’s a still a lot of intellectual nuance there. It’s just a lot louder and faster and louder and much louder on top of that.

Actually you know what, watch a tractor pull. I don’t think those dudes have any rules whatsoever.
Thicc like molasses thx 4 askin
:sweetielarm: Image :sweetielarm:

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:23 am

when's lastcar gonna rereg, we need their expert car thoughts
ImageImageImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:23 am

they're gonna rereg last

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 am

GROUND EFFECTS

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 am

good

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:03 am

Dong Strongly wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 am
The bleeding edge of performance is inherently unsafe. Taking steps to mitigate those dangers isn’t wankery. Besides, there’s still plenty of risk to the drivers’ lives even if it isn’t thrilling enough for you.

The thing I like about these top tier motorsports is how everything is about compromise. The most aerodynamic profile would have a driver laying completely flat watching the road through a periscope but the best visibility would come from having the drivers head up over the top of the car. The compromise is a mostly recumbent position where the driver can just barely see over the cockpit/nose. Other compromises are the wings’ AOA and ride height/ground effect and tire rubber hardness. There’s an incredible amount of thought put into the trade offs that come from adjusting one thing or another and in that regard it’s more of a contest of wits, like chess, instead of brute force, like arm wrestling. If the latter is the thrill you’re looking for, maybe look into top fuel drag racing. That shit is purestrain “more is more” although there’s a still a lot of intellectual nuance there. It’s just a lot louder and faster and louder and much louder on top of that.

Actually you know what, watch a tractor pull. I don’t think those dudes have any rules whatsoever.
It's not just safety that has intervened, add ecology and this need to make the "competition fair". You end up losing some real gems: turbine engines in indycar; rotary engines in group C; two stroke engines across motorbike racing; mechanical fan based downforce improvement systems across FIM motorsport. Maybe being a fan of motorbike road racing makes be biased here, but I feel like car racing has been playing it too safe at the expense of some glorious machines.

Judging by the laws in my country, my opinion on this kind of thing is unpopular or unpolitical at least. Here goes anyway: While the cutting edge is dangerous, if two guys want to duel with swords and consent to the obvious risk then fair play to them and RIP to the loser.

Also we have tractor towing in this county and it is freaking awesome. The machines create several thousand horsepower and seem to be made of multiple engines crudely bolted together on something that was once a tractor. :plonk:
👉👉🥜🏠

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 am

I'd rather a driver survive and race again than die.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:17 am

I think Henri Toivonen's death was kind of fucked up enough that it proved to everyone that hey, maybe let's actually have rules in this race

I mean those cars were going so fast it's very doubtful the drivers really could even watch the road effectively. The were most likely largely going by feel instead of actually seeing things because everything was largely just a blur

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:17 am

Like, you can make up all the justifications you want, but there's literally no reason to just throw safety out the window with a "they knew what they were getting into" attitude, because most of the time they in fact don't know what they're getting into because no one thinks that they're going into a race to die that day.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 am

Sure they haven't planned a specific crash, but they knew it was possible. They're accepting the gamble. You don't sit at a blackjack table, put your chips down and then say "let's agree that I have at least this many at the end, in case I lose some" You do it knowing that there's a good chance it could go horribly wrong, and isn't that what makes it exciting? Or one part of it at least. The skill, and all the other interesting parts are there too, but mortal danger makes me hard.

Or you can dodge the argument and say what about a racing competition where we have batshit insane cars but control them remotely or have an AI do it. We have the tech to achieve this. I still think there's glory in having someone ballsy enough to sit in the death machine rolling the dice, but if we're talking compromise then why not group B rally with the drivers outside of the car?
Last edited by West Filly on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
👉👉🥜🏠

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 am

I don't watch races to see whether someone will live or die, but see who will win or lose and whether said race will be exciting in that regard.

Also you're blackjack comparsion makes no sense.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:55 am

What I'm saying is no one plans a specific fail event, else they wouldn't have done it, but if you're a grown ass person you're allowed to accept a general setting where the failure event is a distinct possibility. Like drawing cards from a shuffled deck, you can't be in complete control of every variable and you may be competely screwed in one particular instance, but you can still choose to draw from that proverbial deck knowing that you might die.

It's a response to your idea that no one knows what they're going into because no one enters a race to die that day. They enter the race knowing they may, knowing that not everything is under their control and it might kill them. They consent to the possibility of losing their life. That takes balls, and that's why it's amazing.

There's a long list of reasons to appreciate motorsport: the cars, the skill, the competition and how it unfolds both in each race and (where applicable) across championships. The guts to put your life on the line and actually go for it is just another thing to appreciate.
Last edited by West Filly on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
👉👉🥜🏠