General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Jill (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:36 pm

W.T. Fits wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:32 pm
I'm playing Super Mario Odyssey and I feel dumb because there's this one check point flag I can't seem to get to in Cascade Kingdom. I just feel like there's something super obvious I'm supposed to do to get to it, but I'm blanking on what that might be and it's really killing my enjoyment because my OCD demands that I GET ALL THE THINGS and there's three of those purple coins over there near it.
i don't remember the specific checkpoint flag you're talking about but i know that some of them can only be reached via a painting in another kingdom so don't sweat it too much

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:42 pm

This one. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get over there and it's driving me nuts.

Edit: Okay, so apparently all I had to do was beat the stage and then a way up there appeared. :-I

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:28 pm

i don't think you're supposed to reach that one on your first visit there, but i know i did. if you use the dinosaur or a certain jump tech (long/triple jump into Y > ZL+Y > ZL+Y) you should be able to make it. i believe there's even a point near the top of that kingdom where it's easy to jump down to

there's a warp pipe that takes you up there if you break a block next to one of the chain chomps, but if memory serves it only appears after you leave the kingdom and come back

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah, your first priority should always be clearing the story missions - because some things in the level will not be accessible at all until those are done. After that, you don't need to necessarily leave immediately, but it is important to recognize that you can't get everything in the vast majority of levels on your first visit - if you pass by Hint Toad, and they say that they have no more hints for this kingdom, you've done all you can for now. (The one level where you can get everything on your first visit is a post-game bonus level with one single Multi Moon).

Complete the story missions, pick up whatever hidden moons you find along the way to meet the target, maybe pick up a few extras if you like, but then move on to the next level. Take screenshots of anything you need to as a reminder to come back (take a screenshot of the map location as well) - leave the full checklist for the post-game.

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Quanta wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:54 am
I was completely unprepared for the kind of game Digimon World: Next Order is turning out to be. Imagine Pokemon, only they expect you to have a full team of endgame Mons with perfect stats by Viridian Forest. Not that it's bad or anything--I'm actually quite enjoying it--but it does feel somewhat poorly paced. Like, the end-chapter boss (and the boss before that) are both Mega-level Digimon that can one-shot your two Mons even as Megas themselves (unless you get the Defend ability first, which is part of your Tamer's ability progression rather than just given to you right away). If you look up the stat requirements for even the weaker Megas they seem pretty absurd given you're probably training your Mons in the Training Centre where it's an hour of in-game time spent for +18(0) points in a stat depending on whether it's STR/WIS/SPD/etc. or HP/MP.

What you're actually supposed to do is use the training hall to get your two Rookies and then go out and beat up stuff in the world, since stat gains from beating up Mons that are challenging for them ups their stats way faster than the training hall ever will, but the game doesn't really explain this to you.

I guess my expectation was that the game would emulate the anime in terms of its progression, where you and your Mons would gradually grow together until endgame where they'd both be in Mega-form all the time, but it's ended up being more of an open-world game, which I'm perfectly okay with. I just wish it explained itself better.
Why do they always seem to do this with the Digimon video games? I mean, Cyber Sleuth is a very good game, but they all seem to be massively grindy.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Picked up Thimbleweed Park really charming so far.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm

initial impressions of sonic forces (copied and pasted from my mastodon account):

do you like games where you can see what's going on or where you don't get ill from low res + low framerate + high speed combo

if so, do not get the switch version of sonic forces - or at least, don't play it in docked mode

in portable mode, it's... more playable, at least, i think the low res on my big TV is the main thing that's making me ill

level design seems to have taken a step backwards in general
the last OC level i played was just "stand on falling platform, walk right to a spring, repeat"

classic sonic's physics didn't bother me too much in generations but after mania the difference is very obvious (also they seem to have removed generations' one button spin dash? at least i pressed y and it didn't seem to do anything - probably to encourage use of the drop dash instead)

i quit out at the first boss because i was on the third cycle of not figuring out where his weakpoint is
there's a point where the camera zooms in on the boss so i guess it's then but using the homing attack when it zooms in doesn't seem to do anything

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm liking my Lotharek drive. What I do not like is Autoduel's permadeath bs that requires me to cheat and make backup copies of my character disk so I don't have to redo it every time I die until I get enough money to make an in game clone. Permadeath is stupid and even back in the day anyone with half a brain learned to make character disk copies and cheat because it's ass even when you have the limited amount of games but higher free time of a teenager. And nowadays it's more like a war crime cuz I got shit to do. Only I may choose how to pointlessly waste my free time on this crappy mudball planet. :twiright:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 am

Venusy wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm

i quit out at the first boss because i was on the third cycle of not figuring out where his weakpoint is
there's a point where the camera zooms in on the boss so i guess it's then but using the homing attack when it zooms in doesn't seem to do anything
if you mean the very first boss as modern sonic, you need to be on the ground when it smacks down for the homing attack prompts to show up. Yeah it's dumb that the homing attack won't show up if you're in the air.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah, I figured that out after a few more goes, and updated other places where I posted those impressions but not here. :v:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Blizzard CEO on loot boxes: 'I don’t think Overwatch belongs in that controversy'

I don't have much to say on that other than "lol", considering Overwatch was instrumental in making loot boxes a smash hit with AAA games in the first place. Overwatch definitely didn't invent them, but considering they put the loot boxes front and center as the only kind of reward you get, it's a pretty damn prominent example.

Fittingly, Heroes of the Storm will introduce premium currency-only skins.
Image /// Image /// Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 pm

I guess the thing is that, while they're technically not gambling in that you're not getting actual money out of them, you are still getting value. Even if that value is you merely getting a hat you'd wanted for a long time, it's still something to entice you to roll the dice again and again. And that's to say nothing of games where these items can be traded; back in TF2, hats with particularly desirable particle effects (which could only be obtained as ultra rare crate pulls, of course) could be sold to other players for prices easily in the hundreds of dollars.

It brings to mind how in Japan, pachinko parlors technically aren't gambling since the prizes they pay out are either goods or nominally worthless tokens. But oh hey, there just so happens to be a shop right next door that will buy those tokens and give you actual money in exchange!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Games like Overwatch don't allow you to trade your items, so there is no in-game third party market ... not like that stops it from being an addictive form of gambling, though.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Ironically it's the trading system that makes the item drops in TF2 tolerable for everyone besides those Unusual hunters, because it makes it really easy to get at least some of the items you want without having to outright buy them.

But yeah, the blame for introducing technicallynotgambling™ into online games ultimately comes back to Valve for those goddamn crates. Even at the time, I was angry that they weren't getting in legal trouble for it, and I guess I still am.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm

In a way, that almost makes it worse. Instead of having the market there to provide greater opportunity overall, if you're locked into only what you can pull then I suppose that makes you more likely to spend to get what you want.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm
In a way, that almost makes it worse. Instead of having the market there to provide greater opportunity overall, if you're locked into only what you can pull then I suppose that makes you more likely to spend to get what you want.
Overwatch has a system where you can also acquire currency that can then be traded in for specific items that you want, and my experience with the game has been that it's really not hard to get the stuff you're after with regular play and spending money on loot boxes seems like a really unnecessary excess. That's just how it plays out for me, of course, and I realize other people with different dispositions might be more vulnerable to those sorts of schemes and the whole blind box you can buy with real money setup is inherently exploitative, but the limited pool of items in Overwatch and the rate at which you unlock them through regular play always made it feel like a fairly reasonable, unobtrusive system compared to other games I've played that use similar monetization schemes, whether it's the TF2 crate-and-key thing or those mobile gatcha games that take this stuff to another level.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:51 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm
Overwatch has a system where you can also acquire currency that can then be traded in for specific items that you want, and my experience with the game has been that it's really not hard to get the stuff you're after with regular play and spending money on loot boxes seems like a really unnecessary excess. That's just how it plays out for me, of course, and I realize other people with different dispositions might be more vulnerable to those sorts of schemes and the whole blind box you can buy with real money setup is inherently exploitative, but the limited pool of items in Overwatch and the rate at which you unlock them through regular play always made it feel like a fairly reasonable, unobtrusive system compared to other games I've played that use similar monetization schemes, whether it's the TF2 crate-and-key thing or those mobile gatcha games that take this stuff to another level.
The biggest issue here is that they frequently introduce new items, but only via events - At least, a few exceptions aside, the entire time the game has been out so far, new skins have generally been in limited time events, not normal loot boxes. That pressures people to play more, and also pay more - Because the event skins cost triple the amount a normal skin of its rarity would cost, and getting 3000 currency in one event is pretty dang tricky even for regular players, let alone doing it more than once if your drops are unlucky. Plus, as much as I like that they reduced the chance of dupes, it also means you get less currency to buy stuff with.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 am

Yeah. I spent money during the Summer Games 2016 and Halloween 2016 events - because yeah, I could completely ignore the regular lootbox purchases, but the time limited nature of the events combined with not having enough time to play meant that I felt compelled to get these things before they go away FOREVER*. For a game I barely played by the time the Halloween 2016 event rolled round.

Now, on both occasions, I spent like $10. I can afford that, and I got most of what I wanted from doing that (but not all). But they are hoping some people spend a whole lot more money than that trying to get the one thing they really want, and not all of those will be able to remotely afford that.

* Which as it turns out was actually until next year.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:55 am

Welp,

I was pretty interested in Need for Speed Payback and was considering picking it up at a discount at some point.
That was before I found out that there's no open-ended cop chases while freeroaming, no actual online freeroam and microtransactions.

But what really did the game in for me was how the microtransactions have pretty much gutted the way upgrading your car works.
Performance parts are no longer parts, rather they're "speed cards" that you use for your car's different "performance slots". Different speed cards have different perks.

You get these cards from winning races, or through "shipments" (lootboxes) that you either periodically get or can buy with real world money.

Now what's really insidious is that you can't use the same upgrade for multiple cars. So every time you wanna fully upgrade a car you have to either grind races in hopes of getting specific cards, or you have to use microtransactions.

Yeah there's parts shops, but they change their stock every 30 minutes, so you have to drive around the map and pray that you'll find that part you're after.

Absolute garbo :-/

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 am

I finally finished Pyre. Supergiant's laudable dedication to never doing the same thing twice has finally lead them to make a game that doesn't absolutely exactly match up with my tastes 1000%, but it's still really good and I like it a lot.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Diamondheart wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm
Why do they always seem to do this with the Digimon video games? I mean, Cyber Sleuth is a very good game, but they all seem to be massively grindy.
It wouldn't be so bad if they did a better job of laying shit out and explaining things to the player. Like, they tell you that red bars over enemies' heads means they're tougher than you, but that doesn't mean they're *that* much tougher. For instance, there's a group of level 5 Goblimon in one of the areas that's easy enough for early players to grind on if they have sufficient healing items. These Goblimon also get replaced with Numemon at nighttime, which are a level and an entire evolutionary step higher than the Goblimon they replace, which translates to a significant power boost that can easily catch you off-guard.

Considering the above, the game ends up being a confusing mess where you don't know what's safe to fight and what's going to send you back to Floatia with 1HP and an injury that shortens your Mons' overall lifespans for that generation. So you avoid everything instead, meaning you're not getting money, skills, or stats, which comes back and bites you once you end up fighting a boss.

Speaking of which, the game kinda fucks you over on the very first boss. The player's character has their own skill tree, and one of those skills is the ability to issue defense orders to your Digimon, and it is absolutely required for the first boss. The game doesn't even hint at this, let alone go over how indispensible an ability it is, they just expect you to have it. They couldn't make what is perhaps the single most important ability in the entire fucking game a part of the standard kit, so you can spend all your skill points on buffing your Mons' stat gains and end up overlooking it entirely. Whoops!

All that said, the game is okay once you understand how to raise Mons and how to defend against enemy Ultimate abilities. Having two Megas with stats in the 5000+ range and 30k HP/MP is sufficient to beat the main story, which is short enough that I was able to do most of it in a couple of in-game days. The post-game requires you to have stats quite a bit higher to beat most of its bosses, and the DLC final boss basically requires you to have Mons with nearly maxed stats and/or a shitton of healing items.

Cyber Sleuth is in the mail, so I'm probably going to put Next Order down for the time being. I'll probably come back to it for trophies or something though.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, EA bought Titanfall developer Respawn, so get ready for that studio to close in about five years.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 am

ImageImageImageImage

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 am

I was gifted a game.

Not gotten too far in it, but it's way way better than it has a right to be.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:34 pm

I just got PC Mordheim for 10 bux due to a Humble Bundle sale. I can't play it till Monday. I ideally will Skaven it up and name my dudes Mrs Grisby, Pinkie, the Brain, and other cartoon mouse names. Depends on what factions you can play in the pc port without spending more money on. Sigmarites would be cool if only because Sister Mary Facesmasher needs to be more than a mini I bought years ago.

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Everyone play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's a great game so far. The combat is a little repetitive, but it's not the main feature, thankfully.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 pm

How do you feel about the way it portrays the whole trauma/mental illness aspect?

I've heard mixed things, both good and bad, and am definitely curious to try the game myself sometime. As far as I've understood it, the portrayal is flawed but at least above the usual Hollywood-grade garbage; something that's not quite there yet but has potential is at least discussion-worthy, rather than either "nonexistant" or "shallow as hell".

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:08 pm

I need to finish the game before I pass judgment, but so far its portrayal of psychosis seems accurate.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 am

RudeCyrus wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 pm
Well, EA bought Titanfall developer Respawn, so get ready for that studio to close in about five years.
Meanwhile pretty much everyone, both players and reviewers, are taking a huge dump on Need for Speed Payback and Star Wars Battlefront 2 cuz of their microtransactions :party:

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am

I bought .hack//G.U. Last Recode on Steam and my laptop even struggles to run it. My laptop isn't even that old! The framerate is just unplayably bad.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Aramek wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 am
I was gifted a game.

Not gotten too far in it, but it's way way better than it has a right to be.
Oh man I played that way back (surprise). Had no idea it was on Steam.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm

I got Night in the Woods yesterday and started playing it. I haven't gotten very far with it (as far as I'm aware), but it's pretty fun and interesting.

And... rather depressingly real right from the get go.

gregg rulz ok

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm
I got Night in the Woods yesterday and started playing it. I haven't gotten very far with it (as far as I'm aware), but it's pretty fun and interesting.

gregg rulz ok
Without spoiling anything, pick one of the two people to hang out with, and pick them every day.

You can't see all the scenes in one playthrough.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 pm

For our Rocket League friends:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 am

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm
YEP IT CAN GET WAY TOO REAL AT TIMES

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 am

Watching the Best Friends play The Evil Within inspired me to download the demo. They must have been talking over it pretty hard, because only by playing it myself have I noticed that some of the sound effects of opening doors are the same as when you open crates in BioShock.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm also impressed that the damn thing actually runs on my PC without issue, considering it claims to require an i7 and I'm still rocking a nearly ten-year-old Core 2 Quad. This is at 1080p with the letterboxing off, even.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 pm
For our Rocket League friends:

want

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 am

EA have managed to get the most downvoted comment in Reddit's entire history:

Someone ran the numbers, and IIRC from this morning, it takes about three hours of gameplay to earn enough in-game currency to open a lootbox which may contain a random hero. Also, since those lootboxes contain gun upgrades, you are probably not going to be having a good time for those three hours vs. someone who bought the $100 microtransaction and has opened 72 lootboxes.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 am

Here's to all this negative feedback making EA back down from shitty business practices.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:30 am

!saak wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 am
Here's to all this negative feedback making EA back down from shitty business practices.
<insert Jim Sterling laughing here>
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752