General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

diribigal
Special Flowers

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by diribigal (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Davyinatoga wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm
Okami looked nice on the Wii, and used motion controls better than I'd expect the PS2's analog stick could.
It looked nicer on the PS2 because the Wii couldn't reproduce some of the neat graphical effects.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Mario Galaxy is very very good, even if you are not a big fan of Marios. Xenoblade features lots of huge damage numbers and it’s always Reyn time. Lost in Shadow is a neat puzzle platformer. MadWorld is a really odd/unique brawler from Platinum Games, if you like their output. Shiren the Wanderer is good if you like roguelikes.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:07 pm

If you've got a half decent PC, get Super Smash Bros. Brawl, use that to prepare your Wii for homebrew, put your games on a USB stick and play them in Dolphin.

(You can connect Wii-motes to your PC via Bluetooth, but this still isn't ideal for games with heavy reliance on the sensor bar unless you buy a 3rd party one designed for the PC)

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 pm

You don't need Brawl to homebrew. It's actually super easy these days:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Letterbomb
https://please.hackmii.com/

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Venusy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:07 pm
(You can connect Wii-motes to your PC via Bluetooth, but this still isn't ideal for games with heavy reliance on the sensor bar unless you buy a 3rd party one designed for the PC)
Suddenly I'm reminded of that old trick where you could put two lit candles at a sensor bar's width apart to reproduce the effect.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm
Suddenly I'm reminded of that old trick where you could put two lit candles at a sensor bar's width apart to reproduce the effect.
Putting lit candles on top of your TV or close to your TV surely seems like a great idea. :v:
Image /// Image /// Image

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:26 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 pm
You don't need Brawl to homebrew. It's actually super easy these days:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Letterbomb
https://please.hackmii.com/
Somehow I thought Letterbomb and Bannerbomb were the same thing and had been disabled in an earlier update. :facehoof:

EDIT: But Letterbomb will not work if you want to do anything with virtual Wii mode on a Wii U.

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 am

My favorite Wii Jailbreak is still the TwilightHack which involves creating a horse name so powerful it allows arbitrary code execution.

I feel this is appropriate, because many real-life horse names are extremely powerful, e.g. Potoooooooo

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:41 am

Well my main project has been to get a new toy up and running properly and of course that means I gotta WORK ON THIS BABY THE SAME WAY, GOTTA GET MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE THAT CAN PIERCE THE HEAVENS WITH THE FURY OF A THOUSAND SUNS: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2018/03 ... -iisi.html

But I have also gone back to my PS4's Special Place:

Click for Fullsize

Because its still amazingly good.

I am also working on another project if not multiples. A videogaming one involves getting every Might and Magic game, ideally complete though ok if loose. Not counting spinoffs I am nearly done already. I need a physical copy of 1 and not just the manual, a cluebook of 1, the manual for 7, and the manual and cluebook for 8. And the latter is on its way to my house and I have a possible reasonably priced lead on the first though probably not the cluebook. I actually looked at a retro shop today for a couple console only spinoffs but didn't see them but no real worry as I don't particularly CARE about Crusaders, Dark Messiah, and the DS titles. (I have a collection of the HOMM games and don't really GAF about their cluebooks or complete manuals or nothing. Though HOMM 3 is a hella good game. If folks play it and it works I HIGHLY recommend the Dragon Warrior/Quest map someone made for it. What can I say? I love my RPG franchises even the second stringers like Might and Magic.)

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:23 pm

I was just gifted FF14 by a buddy because he wants me to play with him and his wife.

So, guess I'll be doing that a for a bit.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm

It finally happened, everyone! The Curse of Monkey Island is now on GOG!
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 am

If you still have a Wii (or a Wii U), today is the final day to add points to the Wii Shop Channel. If there's anything on there that you think you'll ever want to buy, go add some points now, because Nintendo is going to be disabling it later today.

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:17 am

Been playing MGS V lately. It's alright, gameplay is top notch.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:32 am

it helps when you know that the game isn't quite finished and thus you won't get a satisfying story conclusion

the stuff that's there is generally super fun and well crafted, some of the worse Kojima shit aside

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:33 am

Fultoning shit never gets old

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:22 pm

I've been playing a game called The Quest on steam and it's been really fun, but I want to vent about some of the quest design

You see, there's a quest near the start where this rich old dude wants to you rescue his wife from the bandits. When you go to the bandit camp, the wife says she was forced into the marriage and actually just ran away with the bandit leader. Well, whatever, right? Probably just have to go back and say so for the 'good' quest reward.

Nope, the 'good' quest reward involves you getting her drunk and then leading her back to the old guy under false pretenses. If you do it the other way, working with the wife to get the ransom money from the old guy, you get evil points.

... that's messed up, right? The rest of the game's been totally fine, so this early quest feels really out of place and skeezy :nngh:
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Yeah uh that's really strange for a "good" option

Usually being a good guy in games means you do what's right, even if it means doing something unpopular or against your original quest giver's motives

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Morality systems in games always have weird consequences like that.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Yeah. I haven't noticed any issues with this in the expansion missions they also released (By a different author). In the first one, the main quest by the king is to go kill this guy and rescue his daughter 'unless she's lost her honor'. Now you'd think "oh this is also really bad" but the good resolution to this quest is to not kill the daughter holy crud, and instead help her safely get to a ship to escape and seek asylum. And unlike the first question I was talking about, this one has the option to tell the king 'holy crud you crazy man' though he puts you in jail for it, but it's nice to at least have the option.

I just wish the random male NPCs would stop saying "Why aren't you in a kitchen making food for someone" when I talk to them. Since it's apparently a default dialogue, I guess the new author didn't rewrite all of those :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:23 pm

The more you describe this, the more I'm starting to suspect the writer of the game had an agenda...

EDIT: The fact that it's a game made post-2014 is not helping assuage these thoughts.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:35 pm

It's by a Hungarian developer and I hear that they have a huge problem with casual sexism there so I'm not sure it was even a conscious thing. It's super annoying though, either way. There's game development tools for it though, so I'll make sure to spend some free time to make an expansion with it that doesn't have these issues :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:33 am
Fultoning shit never gets old
My favorite type of side op is the "eliminate tank unit" ones because fultoning a tank is still funny.

Also going back to base via shipping container.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm

hey tailspin you live in vaguely that area of the world, do you know if I am right re: hungary or did I hear incorrectly? :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm
hey tailspin you live in vaguely that area of the world, do you know if I am right re: hungary or did I hear incorrectly? :v:
I'd say it's correct. Eastern europe in general has major issues with sexism, along with a stubborn desire to not examine these issues or just outright deny them as being a problem.

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 pm

I am pleasently surprised that the side ops are fun to do, I was worried about them being more of a grind to do because they were missions that you just walk into compared to the story missions. But i've basically played a side op anytime one would turn up and it always felt fun. Especially because it varies it from time to time, like having a helicopter turn up at a "eliminate tank unit" missions. Plus, you do get useful stuff, i nabbed a heavily armed soldier that had A+ and A++ ranks all across. It's also like interesting how much i've gotten the hang of the game over time, when i first started i fucked up constantly, had a poor graps on how sneaking and grabbing enemies worked. Now i'm really methodical, especially with someone like DD helping out in finding targets. Granted, it also helps I have a tranq sniper rifle with a silencer, so I can clear out guards from a distance. The lethal assault rifle is still there if needed, but it's mostly there to knock out their radio.

Basically, this game is super fun.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 pm

I've been playing around a whole lot with Kirby Star Allies ever since it got released. Currently, I'm just playing a lot of The Ultimate Choice, this game's version of The Arena/True Arena. After I whole bunch of practice and repetition, I beat the highest difficulty, Soul Melter! I used a solo Kirby with the hammer power, and it went by pretty alright, though the last fight got really too close, as i was one hit away from death by the end.

Then i discovered that the hammer toss was a viable move to use over and over again, and so I tried it again, this time with Dedede.

Turned out that thanks to the hammer toss, I could easily clobber a number of bosses in record time. The added height that Dedede and Bonkers get over kirby was alot a great help. I'm planning on doing more full Soul Melter runs with other powers too.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 am

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:39 am

Playing Celeste with joy cons is giving me some serious tendonitis. Not sure if I’m going to make it all the way through the B-sides. I’m aiming to make it as far as I can.

Mad Surge
Who put sparkles all around me?
Semper Pie

Post by Mad Surge (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:44 am

Using a d-pad, and my left thumb isn't too happy about it :v: I've gotten all the b-sides, and I dunno if I'm gonna go for the golden strawberries; I'm still gonna try the c-sides at least!
Image Image Image

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Madeline wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:39 am
Playing Celeste with joy cons is giving me some serious tendonitis. Not sure if I’m going to make it all the way through the B-sides. I’m aiming to make it as far as I can.
Get a grip.

No, really, get one :-P It makes them a lot more comfortable. My hands aren't that big, but I can't handle Nintendo consoles without using an ergonomic grip.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 pm

That’s a great idea, thank you for the link! It would definitely help.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:35 pm

I would recommend a Pro Controller, but the D-pad on it isn't the greatest. Apparently it's gone through a couple of hardware revisions to make the D-pad better, but without knowing which is which I think it'd be best to wait on possibly buying one for now.

I say that as someone who owns one. Aside from the D-pad occasionally registering left or right inputs when I press only up or down, it's really great.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 pm

I beat Kirby Star Allies (including the bonus stage unlocked upon beating it). That final boss was fucking wild. And the fact that it had Kirby's face, despite how cute Kirby is, for some reason made it terrifying.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 pm

So... anyone else playing Dragonball Fighers Z?

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 pm

I have. I'm still working through the story mode (it's freaking LONG) but I'm loving it. I just downloaded Bardock and Broly.

I love playing as a majority of the characters, too. I think Frieza/Cell/Android 18 might be my "main team" but I really enjoy experimenting and trying out all sorts of characters.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:49 am

I should try FighterZ, Fontra has it and Family Sharing exists.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 am

I normally suck at fighting games but FighterZ feels very accessible and welcoming for new comers. I actually feel somewhat decent playing it, unlike games like Street Fighter where I have no idea what I'm doing. Plus the game looks so pretty that even when you lose it's a feast for the eyes.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Knowing how bad of a singer Kirby is, I'm pretty sure any musical instrument in his likeness counts as a weapon of mass destruction. :nngh:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Mass destruction via cuteness, maybe. :allears: