General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:39 am

Madeline wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:43 pm
This thread on the Donkey Kong Forums argues that the one in DK 64 is closely based on, but not identical to, the Japanese arcade ROM. So it could be a port or a rebuild, rather than straight-up emulation. I don’t know the game well enough to spot the differences. :-I
It's a port, same as Jetpac (despite GoldenEye containing an unused, somewhat functional Spectrum emulator). My guess is that they used the original graphics, but eyeballed the mechanics so they didn't use the original code.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:56 pm

I had to restart the Food Critic ET after the AI seemingly runs out of script about 10 minutes in, but it's pretty easy once you guess the obvious opportunity. Unfortunately, it seems like you need to be a lot more clever to get a higher score.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am

I finally beat the Core in Celeste. :black101: 91 deaths on my successful run, which is a lot less than I was expecting. I was on a hot streak until I got to the stupid autoscroller part.

I have almost all the A-side strawberries, and nearly all the B-sides unlocked. I still need to find two cassettes. After that, gonna start trying the B-sides, and see if I can at least unlock the C-sides.

BackgroundPony
I'm ready to initiate self-destruct sequence.
Faithful Students
Patreon supporter

Post by BackgroundPony (?) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am

SGDQ coming up this weekend. Do we have a thread somewhere that I'm missing?

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 pm

I got Battletech on amazon before it was pulled.

I then proceeded to fail the first mission.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:47 pm

BackgroundPony wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am
SGDQ coming up this weekend. Do we have a thread somewhere that I'm missing?
Not yet! Make one!
Image /// Image /// Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 am

Here’s the schedule if anybody wants to see what’s being run. Someone’s running Roundabout so Ixnay might want to watch that, at least :-P

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:47 am

My personal must-see list:
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Super Smash TV
  • Sparkster
  • Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Pikmin 3
  • Tomb Raider
  • Batman Returns
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • Cuphead
  • A Hat in Time
  • Celeste
  • Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
  • Paper Mario
  • Goof Troop
  • Everything TASBot
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight
  • Super Mario Maker
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 pm

i played through VA-11 Hall-A

i liked it so much that i ended up getting through it in one sitting, and secured the worst ending because i missed rent:

there's a very short list of games i've played for their writing, and this one easily tops it. it's hard to even express just how real and normal it feels for something that takes place in the year 207X where there are android sex workers and talking dogs and shit. everything happens through a lens of casual conversation, and the game doesn't try to throw any spectacular twists or display anyone as a weird special snowflake. (exception: anna) in this manner, the game allows itself to discuss mature themes without actually having to paint a picture of people fucking or killing each other or whatever

i'd say the whole experience was refreshing :smirk:

BackgroundPony
I'm ready to initiate self-destruct sequence.
Faithful Students
Patreon supporter

Post by BackgroundPony (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:07 am

va-11 hall-a was great. i never could quite decide if i completely hated or completely loved streaming-chan.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:19 am

There are some parts I felt were pretty badly handled IMO but overall it's a unique and very entertaining game, just kinda hit or miss for me depending on which character is on screen
Image /// Image /// Image

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 am

We committed a pogrom against the Moogles last night for a few hours, securing their likenesses to glamour our weapons.

Plus our weapons now make moogle sounds when they are drawn and put away.

Kupopo.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am

BackgroundPony wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:07 am
va-11 hall-a was great. i never could quite decide if i completely hated or completely loved streaming-chan.
do streamers in japan frequently use some overlay that marquees chat messages across the screen? cuz like...

i have yet to see a real life example of this

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:56 am

A few days ago I beat Yakuza 0 which was my first Yakuza game and I absolutely loved it. I don't know how the game manages to be goofy as fuck one minute and then get super serious and somehow makes it work and doesn't cause a tonal whiplash.

In the near future I plan to play Kiwami, then Kiwami 2, and work my way through the series from there. I'm glad to know 3, 4, and 5 are getting PS4 remasters.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Jill wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am
do streamers in japan frequently use some overlay that marquees chat messages across the screen? cuz like...

i have yet to see a real life example of this
I'm pretty sure niconico overlays comments on videos like that.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Did Mighty Gunvolt really make an "owo what's this" reference
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Jill wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am
Nico Douga does this (example). It doesn't do flashing text, though.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 pm

moon status: cleaved

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 am

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 pm

moon status: cleaved
Nice! I haven’t been able to do a Sologetsu run, it’s like playing through CV3 with the inferior US version of Grant. I get stuck at stage 7 every time

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:32 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:37 pm
(example).
It's been a super long time since I first saw this video, and there are like a jillion more comments then there were back in 2008 or whatever wowee. :-I

on

myo

gggggggggggggggg
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm

I grabbed Middle Earth: Shadows of War because it was on sale + I had a coupon, and the game is very fun.

However, all the things you heard about the story are true. Shelob isn't a spider pretending to be a lady like people who saw the trailer believed, she's a lady that turned into a spider because sauron wouldn't smooch her.

I'm assuming the reason they're allowed to just make stuff up where things are explained very clearly in the book to the contrary is because they have the movie license, not the book license. :-I

And the reason they're allowed to let a spider fail the bechdel test is because it's a AAA game or something :-I
ImageImageImageImage

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:32 pm
It's been a super long time since I first saw this video, and there are like a jillion more comments then there were back in 2008 or whatever wowee. :-I
The actual site also limits comments to the last few hundred, so you can only get that many by downloading the comments file (possibly multiple times and combining them). :ponynet:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am

I got Civ VI and DOOM because they were on mega-sale.

This is how I game now. I wait until 2 years after games are released and buy em for $15 or less. It's much more preferable this way, not only because I save a ton of money, but it also gives the developers (who love to rush games out before they're actually complete) time to release patches to fix common bugs.

Man I love the Civ series and based on the limited time I've played Civ VI so far, it's good to see that they kept the tradition of making Ghandi a complete asshole. :v:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:23 pm

So far I’ve picked up Prey, Narcosis and OneShot (the last may warrant an effortpost after I finish).

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am

Can anyone who's played Civ VI explain why cultural victory isnt triggering? It's been like this for at least 15 turns now. :rariwhat:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 am

some months ago i did a bored search for bunny-themed iOS games and downloaded a few that looked interesting

King Rabbit ended up being the real payoff to this. it's a grid-based puzzle/action game in the vein of Chip's Challenge or Frogger. there are lots of mechanics centered around pushing stuff, burning stuff, avoiding hazards, manipulating AI, etc.

Click for Fullsize

it's also one of the most generous F2P implementations i've come across. there is a premium currency (diamonds) that can easily be built up by playing through the game, and its usage is largely restricted to cosmetic changes or increasing your freedom with the level builder. there are ads, but any purchase removes them (aside from those you watch deliberately for a reward)

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

for $0 you get the base game's 256 levels, which i'm still just over halfway through. for $6 you get another 256 levels which were made by the game's community and picked out by the developers. it's theoretically possible to encounter these levels at random when playing community levels, but they filled the purchased versions with diamonds and the guarantee that you won't be wading through any bad ones

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

for better or worse, the level editor has an interesting twist to it: by default you are limited to what objects you've found in item packs, which give you 3 random objects to use in the level editor. some item packs are hidden throughout the game's main levels, and otherwise you can get one every 10 minutes by watching an ad. if you're playing community levels, there's also a chance for an item pack to show up on an eligible tile at random each time a new level is loaded. if you'd rather not deal with this system, you can buy the "infinite item pack" for $8 which essentially just unlocks the comprehensive level editor. in a way, though, i find the limitation of item packs to be creatively challenging and i'm not sure i want to bypass it just yet
:v:

my only real complaint is that some hazards can be very unforgiving with what counts as a collision, because ultimately the game is grid-based but with objects that move seamlessly between tiles. e.g. if you move out of an explosion right before it goes off, you may still die because your hurtbox does not move over one tile instantaneously. and yet, if you swipe quickly enough, you can start moving off a tile before you're fully on it, which leads me to think the controls are strictly based on grid logic despite collisions being based on some weird combination of grid logic and animation delay
:fluttershrug:

regardless, i've always been a sucker for intricate games with level editors and this one is pretty damn good

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:37 am

Chameleon Elusive Target down. I thought of a faster way to do it while on my way out the door, but oh well, still got SA. :pinkieshrug:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 am

Restarted Axiom Verge because I had no idea where I was or what I was doing when I left off, and I got to Kur in about a quarter of the time it took me the first time through. I also found a weapon I hadn’t found before.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Madeline wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 am
I also found a weapon I hadn’t found before.
was this in one of those hidden "glitch" spaces? 'cause from what i remember, there are like 5-10 of those per playthrough but their location is randomized between like 100 possible hiding spots
:-I

theGECK
People don't "become an adult", they just get too old to be called a kid
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I started playing inFAMOUS. It's pretty fun! Really easy to pickup and play for 10-30 minutes and put down. Like a mobile game for my TV.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 am

Jill wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm
was this in one of those hidden "glitch" spaces? 'cause from what i remember, there are like 5-10 of those per playthrough but their location is randomized between like 100 possible hiding spots
I haven’t found one of those yet, but I did find a weapon called Firewall which was literally hidden in a wall. I had to :golfclop: for that one. I haven’t found any of the glitch spaces yet. But I’ve only just fought the fourth boss and found the remote drone.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 am

Eventually figured out the Blackmailer Elusive Target. Wound up with a really easy opportunity after half an hour of unsuccessfully trying to coin the guy into a corner. :facehoof:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 am

Jill wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm
So a little while ago I found one of the glitch worlds. I was going through Absu looking for items and filling in the map when I saw something.

Kinda hard to tell here, but the rocks just above and to the right of Trace were flickering. I dashed at them to see if there was an item hidden in there, because I have played way too many Metroidvanias over the years. I didn’t actually expect to find a glitch world considering how random they are.

Some random shots of how odd and messed up it looked. The enemies were pretty much the same non threatening early game enemies you find in Absu so I didn’t bother taking any shots of them :-I

This one shows off the artifacting from the CRT filter. The screen shudders when you dash like an old CRT having overscan issues, which is a neat effect

Map of the area, just because

Guessing it was one of the easy or medium ones, because all I found in there were a Range Node and a Health Node fragment, still pretty nice to have though. Fun easter egg :pinkietoot:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:45 am

I beat Axiom Verge, and since things are quiet tonight, I also played through Mega Man 1 for the first time in years.

I got a lot of game overs, but I did it :pinkietoot: Took about two and a half hours.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 am

I've been working on it for over a month now, but I'm finally on the penultimate leg of the 60 paladin relic quest in 14.

All purely for fashion.

Because the gear was outclassed a long time ago.

Fashion is the real endgame.

And I will be beautiful.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Aramek wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 am
I've been working on it for over a month now, but I'm finally on the penultimate leg of the 60 paladin relic quest in 14.

All purely for fashion.

Because the gear was outclassed a long time ago.

Fashion is the real endgame.

And I will be beautiful.
Not a single Rarity emote in the whole post.

I’m not mad, just disappointed

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 pm

After playing a bunch i have concluded that

short video games are good and better than any game that claims to have 60 hours of content

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:22 pm
Not a single Rarity emote in the whole post.

I’m not mad, just disappointed
I'm on my phone 99% of the time, and using BBcode or emotes is too hard.

:gonkity:

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Aramek wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm
I'm on my phone 99% of the time, and using BBcode or emotes is too hard.

:gonkity:
Lol if you haven't memorized the smilie codes by this point :scootatrue: