ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Daikatuna wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am
violence in video games is a problem and something worth discussing but video games being video games it will just be pushed to the side and relegated to jokey jokes
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Octavia wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm
I guess I'm officially old because I'm super excited about our new washer and dryer. :granny:
Tested it out and oh man the dryer is a billion times better than my old one :awesomedash:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm

video games being video games it will just be pushed to the side and relegated to jokey jokes

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:49 pm

speaking of video games

homeworld is a video game that told it's story in a way i haven't encountered before or since

a combination of handdrawn black and white cutscenes with minimal animation, in game cutscenes and dialogue with no visible characters

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

a game purely dependent on getting the mood across through music, voice acting and only occasional framing

whether this was a stylistic choice, a limitation of late 90's computers or a combination of both it was very unique

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

deserts of kharak does abandon this though

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Fart is a gas, which means its molecules are trying to repel one another, but they can only travel so far when captured within another gas that also has repellent molecules. On Earth your farts are then reasonably localised by the force of the atmosphere held in by gravity bearing down on the pockets of fart gas.

If you fart in the vacuum of space, however, I think I'm right in saying that your fart molecules will theoretically disperse due to their repellent force and should then cover great distances in little time. I just wonder how far a regular poot can travel before it is spread so thinly that it isn't providing any additional repellent force vs the underlying gases in space.

Is it worth smelling for organic life among the stars?
👉👉🥜🏠

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

No because unless they're living in the vacuum of space, which seems unlikely, their farts will be contained by the atmosphere of whatever planet they're on

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:13 pm

So we'd only be able to smell the intelligent space faring species!

Or space whales.
👉👉🥜🏠

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm

I wonder if the satire-by-hyperbole in stuff like The Simpsons, South Park, and Grand Theft Auto ultimately became self-fulfilling prophecy. Like, people got so desensitized to the shitty version of America depicted in popular media that they never even noticed reality was catching up until it was too late.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 pm

If nothing else, the brand of humor in The Simpsons became much of the norm in sitcoms for adults, especially animated programs. You have to remember that before The Simpsons, nearly all such shows were terribly saccharine in how they depicted families. The Simpsons was new and shocking in its golden ages, with Homer being a not-great father and Bart being the bad boy. Believe it or not, back then that sort of material was fresh!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Similarly, edgy cartoons like Ren & Stimpy, South Park, and Family Guy took off because, back then, cartoons like that were just not being made, being mostly "safe", kiddy stuff at the time. It's amazing that something that was seen as fresh and innovative starts to feel stale when everyone else decided to start doing the same stuff.

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 am

Pocket wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:49 pm
You know how Chinese immigrants tend to give their kids white-sounding names and white Americans give their adopted Chinese babies Chinese names? I'm now imagining two Chinese Americans meeting each other and being like "Hi, I'm Randall Chang" "I'm Mei-Ling McCree" and then there's just this awkward pause and I can't stop laughing.
I've thought about changing my name to either 'Katjusha' or 'The beautiful appearance of a dragon in flight' (美龘)
A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 pm
If nothing else, the brand of humor in The Simpsons became much of the norm in sitcoms for adults, especially animated programs. You have to remember that before The Simpsons, nearly all such shows were terribly saccharine in how they depicted families. The Simpsons was new and shocking in its golden ages, with Homer being a not-great father and Bart being the bad boy. Believe it or not, back then that sort of material was fresh!
Holy shit, did I like King of the Hill precisely because it didn't do that
A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:54 am

I think I'm very hot. :vogue:

Seriously, this temperature is too much. :nngh:

pls halp ;.;
New signature pending.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:29 am

I had to go earlier from work because it was so hot that my butt almost fused with my desk chair.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 pm

What if we're just God's slice of life anime?

What if this was the meta humor?
👉👉🥜🏠

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 am

I have stuff I could post in my creation station thread, but the thread's gone since the forums died and I think I'm not up to remaking it any time soon.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 am

diribigal wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 am
I have stuff I could post in my creation station thread, but the thread's gone since the forums died and I think I'm not up to remaking it any time soon.
I’ll check it out when you do feel up to it :hug:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Same :vogue:
Image /// Image /// Image

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Random thought I posted watching a stream of a terrible sci fi movie where some people fought each other on the moon in space suits.
I'd dig a wrestling league where they go so deep into the wrestler's themes that instead of having rings and live audiences they have sets that match the themes of the wrestlers
I know the taker is old now but can you imagine the graveyard arena
in hindsight I'm basically describing a martial arts movie, but not quite? It'd still be a competition but you'd have the added detail of whether it'd be a "home" or "away" match - whose ring are you fighting in? There could even be fights over the territory and all kinds of cool stuff, but the main thing is that instead of having tables ladders and chairs be your only furniture, you can go crazy with all the stuff in the different environments.
👉👉🥜🏠

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I have not yet learned how to deal with wanting things I will never have. :fluttersmith:
ImageImageImage

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 pm

West Filly wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 pm
in hindsight I'm basically describing a martial arts movie, but not quite? It'd still be a competition but you'd have the added detail of whether it'd be a "home" or "away" match - whose ring are you fighting in? There could even be fights over the territory and all kinds of cool stuff, but the main thing is that instead of having tables ladders and chairs be your only furniture, you can go crazy with all the stuff in the different environments.
A fighting game. You're describing a fighting game, but in real life.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Fighting in different locations for control of territory?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm

ToastGhost wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:51 pm
I have not yet learned how to deal with wanting things I will never have. :fluttersmith:
Is this more a feeling of hopelessness in your ability to get things ("I could have thing X if only I were able to be successful in life") or more that you want something that literally isn't possible at all to have? I've felt both, I think.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Is this more a feeling of hopelessness in your ability to get things ("I could have thing X if only I were able to be successful in life") or more that you want something that literally isn't possible at all to have? I've felt both, I think.
The latter. It comes up when reading fiction. I want some cool magic or to able to fly or some shit. :(
ImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 pm

It just occurred to me that "Family Guy" technically began in the 1990s.

Specifically, January 1999. Which means it's going to be 20 years old in less than 6 months :starity:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 am

Almost as old as its humour
👉👉🥜🏠

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:47 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 pm
It just occurred to me that "Family Guy" technically began in the 1990s.
Technically, the non-short run of The Simpsons is from the '80s, as the very first episode aired for Christmas in 1989. :spike101:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Listening to a lot of anime theme songs from the 1960s and 1970s, I'm struck just by how MASCULINE these are. About what it takes to be a man, how you are THE MAN when you play baseballs (or whatever sports anime the song was done for :v:), etc.

They don't hide the fact that they're very emotionally-charged, too. Remarkably badass at times.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 am

ToastGhost wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:58 pm
The latter. It comes up when reading fiction. I want some cool magic or to able to fly or some poo poo. :(
I just am like "Well vr is doing good so I'm not worried, I'll probably get to do those things" :-I
ImageImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:57 am

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 am
I just am like "Well vr is doing good so I'm not worried, I'll probably get to do those things" :-I
Yeah, this keeps me going. Also the chances I'll get to upload my brain into an AI is steadily increasing. :v:
ImageImageImage

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 pm

I have to wonder why extremely cheap "found footage"/"guerrilla horror" films only started getting big about 10 years ago. It seems like such an easy way for studios to make lots of money while saving millions on a budget, especially if the movie ends up getting good reviews or gets marketed extremely well.

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Sometimes, the only thing a trend needs to get started is for someone to figure out how to do it effectively. And for found-footage horror, that someone was The Blair Witch Project (which was 1999). Blair Witch was effective on a film level, but also on a marketing level, both of which elevated it above the cheap drive-in fare you’d normally expect for something this low budget.

Although after Blair Witch it took a while for anyone else to be successful at it. You’d have to fast forward to Paranormal Activity for the next big hit in found-footage horror (also Cloverfield, although that’s as much action/scifi as horror).

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 am

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 pm
Sometimes, the only thing a trend needs to get started is for someone to figure out how to do it effectively. And for found-footage horror, that someone was The Blair Witch Project (which was 1999). Blair Witch was effective on a film level, but also on a marketing level, both of which elevated it above the cheap drive-in fare you’d normally expect for something this low budget.

Although after Blair Witch it took a while for anyone else to be successful at it. You’d have to fast forward to Paranormal Activity for the next big hit in found-footage horror (also Cloverfield, although that’s as much action/scifi as horror).
I guess the next question would whether or not audiences are seeing through the gimmicks in the marketing/film-making of found-footage films now. While the movies you've listed were successful, we've seen how the Paranormal Activity series has basically gone on and on, to the point where I don't think anybody looks forward to them at all anymore. If the originators/big successes of the genre are no longer succeeding, any future found-footage films may have to try something new or risky in order to catch any attention. My guess is that's probably why Unfriended exists, but given a sequel was just released, I'm presuming that series (if it keeps going) will get stale even quicker than Paranormal Activity did.

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:11 am

You know how Chinese is a tonal language? Like, if you say a word with a different tone of voice, it's literally a completely different word? Then how come transliterated Chinese doesn't have a bunch of diacritical marks to distinguish between those tones?

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:12 am

Pocket wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:11 am
You know how Chinese is a tonal language? Like, if you say a word with a different tone of voice, it's literally a completely different word? Then how come transliterated Chinese doesn't have a bunch of diacritical marks to distinguish between those tones?
Hanyu Pinyin does indeed include four tonal diacritics.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I opened that link and got a ludicrous crowd of clones speaking Mandarin at me.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:19 am

I could swear I've already posted this here before but maybe I'm just going mad. Someone ought to invent digital audio and video codecs whose compression artifacts manifest as a grainy picture and scratchy, lo-fi sound, so they'd be ideal for recreating old-timey media. I'm picturing them being used primarily in video games, for stuff like the kinetoscopes in BioShock. Current mainstream compression methods are especially bad at preserving things like film grain or TV snow.