ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

West Filly
Stare Masters

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 am

Would the library of Alexandria be nearly as famous or as significant if it hadn't burned down?

Just thinking it'd probably still be abandoned and crusty by this point, making it a place with maybe a handful of un-looted and intact works for people to read, and they'd probably be some really dull intellectual treatises of their time. Rather than being the cool mystery that it is today, if the library had remained maybe it'd just be this somewhat known archaeological site that's popular among history nerds for being the source of some documents.
👉👉🥜🏠

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Libraries are for nerds
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Where flaming ruins are badass.
👉👉🥜🏠

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:16 pm

I was at a dollar store today and there was a kid in front of me buying birthday cards. I don't know what the dispute was (maybe the kid was unclear about whether the cards came with the envelopes?) but I overheard his mother saying that if he got an envelope he didn't pay for then he would have stolen an envelope and they would call the police and the kid would go to jail for stealing an envelope.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm

We should pronounce envelope and Penelope the same way. We should change one, I don’t care which.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 pm
We should pronounce envelope and Penelope the same way. We should change one, I don’t care which.
When I was a kid, I used to think that the latter was pronounced like the former.
New signature pending.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm

West Filly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 am
Would the library of Alexandria be nearly as famous or as significant if it hadn't burned down?

Just thinking it'd probably still be abandoned and crusty by this point, making it a place with maybe a handful of un-looted and intact works for people to read, and they'd probably be some really dull intellectual treatises of their time. Rather than being the cool mystery that it is today, if the library had remained maybe it'd just be this somewhat known archaeological site that's popular among history nerds for being the source of some documents.
It's possible we'd be much more advanced technologically if it didn't burn down. Same thing goes for if the fall of Rome never happened.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm
It's possible we'd be much more advanced technologically if it didn't burn down. Same thing goes for if the fall of Rome never happened.
When America falls in the next 50-100 years, do you think China will have stolen enough of our tech to avoid this particular fate?

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Spaceship Earth taught me that the important stuff in the Library of Alexandria wasn't lost because the Arabs had copied it down, and they took up the mantle of making advancements at that point. And if you can't trust a theme park ride to teach you accurate history, who can you trust?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 am

Pocket wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:14 pm
Spaceship Earth taught me that the important stuff in the Library of Alexandria wasn't lost because the Arabs had copied it down, and they took up the mantle of making advancements at that point. And if you can't trust a theme park ride to teach you accurate history, who can you trust?
We're whalers on the moon!

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:27 am

West Filly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 pm
Where flaming ruins are badass.
well, yeah
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 am

Octavia wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm
It's something I hear a lot when people talk about the Antikythera mechanism. Its intricate gearing isn't just a wonderful and useful mathematical device, it also shows the kind of tooling and machinery required to kickstart the mercantile/imperial age and the subsequent industrial revolution.

I'm not sure, myself. If you think about how long people have had electrical generators kicking about as an academic item and how long it took for that to become something more than just a showpiece, I'm inclined to say that just because the Greeks could gear doesn't mean they were set to build factories before the end of the first millennium. There's sometimes a huge inexplicable gap between knowledge, prototyping and then full implementation.
👉👉🥜🏠

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm

This is why I'd love it if someone ever produced a real-life "tech tree" showing all of humanity's important scientific advancements and what the prerequisites were. Alternate history is full of "what if we had invented X earlier?"s but it's probably always done without regard for whether it would actually have been possible.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Void Chicken
Stare Masters

Post by Void Chicken (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:13 pm

From what I understand, the major thing that enabled the industrial revolution was the concept of mechanical tolerance and interchangeable parts. If you took a dozen 18th century rifles, took them apart, mixed them up, and put them back together again, you'd be lucky if any of them could fire.

Each part of a machine was built to work with the other parts that had been made. Once parts were built to a specification instead, you could crank out a hundred of them on a line and not worry about which went where.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Sometimes tech is based more on societal changes or even dumb luck, it seems.

Like the wheelbarrow arrives on the scene surprisingly late (in Europe, around 1000 AD!) for something so simple and agriculturally handy. It feels as if the wheelbarrow’s a thing that could have been invented almost any time in human history, and just ... wasn’t, I guess?

Unless there’s some reason in the history of agriculture for wheelbarrows to not have been useful until a certain point.

I suppose a lot of inventions are labor-saving devices and maybe in an era where there’s labor to spare (due to slavery/serfdom/Pharaohs), there’s just not much demand.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

every time Aria posts, I'm reminded that I drew Steven Universe and his lion in Johnny Test style

Aria will not let me escape my sins, I appreciate that
Image /// Image /// Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm
every time Aria posts, I'm reminded that I drew Steven Universe and his lion in Johnny Test style

Aria will not let me escape my sins, I appreciate that
I'd say I should change my signature to that picture of me and Fontra, but I have a brand to uphold. :snobtavia:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 am

The best thing is that timeline of things Ireland invented, and then whisky happened, and it was, like, fucking nothing for 300 years.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:08 am

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

This time next week I'm moving cross country and the idea that theres this long stretch of land I'll be going across that I've never seen before is just kind of surreal.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Juju&Lulu wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm
This time next week I'm moving cross country and the idea that theres this long stretch of land I'll be going across that I've never seen before is just kind of surreal.
It's a huge trip. My parents just came back from California and they spent about six days driving. They only spent about eight hours on the road each day, and could've done it faster if they took turns driving for 12-plus hours each day, but still it's a long trip.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I drove from Boston to Los Angeles with a U-Haul in 4 days when I graduated from college. :insomnia:

Boston to Chicago day 1, Chicago to Colorado Springs day 2, Colorado Springs to Las Vegas day 3, then Las Vegas to Los Angeles day 4. I had the valet at Caesar's Palace park my giant truck with all my stuff in it. :smirk:

Colorado and Arizona are the two prettiest states to drive through, imo.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah we've got 2 trips mapped out: 1 for 12 hrs of driving a day and 1 for 10 hrs of driving.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:45 pm

You know how at the beginning of "Ballroom Blitz", it's just the drummer playing as the four of them are like

"You ready, Steve?" "Uh-huh."
"Andy?" "Yeah."
"Mick?" "Okay!"
"All right, fellas.......... LET'S GOOOOOOOO!!!"

I was suddenly reminded of this when I was watching some people play PUBG, and now I can't unhear it as them readying up for some co-op game, and they all rush into the battlefield on that last line.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 am

AND THE MAN WITH THE EARS
SAID EVERYONE APPEAR
AND IT TURNED INTO A BALLROOM YIFF :plonk:
ImageImageImage

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 am

I feel like a character from the wrong show, lately.

Like, imagine there's this sitcom, right? And it goes for several seasons, and then suddenly the zombie apocalypse happens, and it's not a joke at all, it's serious, and this is just what the show is about now, and even though all the characters are the same, it's not a sitcom anymore; it's a dead-serious drama.

That's about how I feel any time I read the news. Like my entire life up to a few years ago has ultimately had no point, and now I have to either completely reinvent my character or get written out for being thematically inappropriate.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 am

Allow me to propose that real life has no theme, you need not feel beholden to any script or showrunner, and you have just as much right to impose YOUR presence on the world as the world does to impose its on you. :hug:

Taking it fictional, which TV shows changed the most over the course of their run? I.E. started as dark comedy but retooled to full-blown horror, or drama to comedy, or what have you?

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 am

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 am
Taking it fictional, which TV shows changed the most over the course of their run? I.E. started as dark comedy but retooled to full-blown horror, or drama to comedy, or what have you?
The biggest example I can think of is "Moral Orel". It started off as a edgy comedy poking fun of religion (which fit in perfectly with the rest of the Adult Swim comedy block), but by the final season it turned into a depressing, semi-serious drama.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:25 pm

Oh god yes you’re right, Moral Orel has to be the champ in that regard. :nnngh:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Pocket wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:30 am
I feel like a character from the wrong show, lately.

Like, imagine there's this sitcom, right? And it goes for several seasons, and then suddenly the zombie apocalypse happens, and it's not a joke at all, it's serious, and this is just what the show is about now, and even though all the characters are the same, it's not a sitcom anymore; it's a dead-serious drama.

That's about how I feel any time I read the news. Like my entire life up to a few years ago has ultimately had no point, and now I have to either completely reinvent my character or get written out for being thematically inappropriate.
I know exactly what you mean because I feel the same way.

My only consolation is knowing that as long as I exist, no person can erase me and how I feel about myself, no matter what the law says. If that’s all the consolation I can get, that’s better than nothing.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 am

Madeline wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 pm
I know exactly what you mean because I feel the same way.

My only consolation is knowing that as long as I exist, no person can erase me and how I feel about myself, no matter what the law says. If that’s all the consolation I can get, that’s better than nothing.
I have your back, Maddie :hug:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 am

As long as I exist, no person can erase me and how I feel about myself, no matter what the law says
Frame this post, because it will always be true.
Don't forget you're far from alone.

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:19 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:34 pm
When America falls in the next 50-100 years, do you think China will have stolen enough of our tech to avoid this particular fate?
话说天下大势,分久必合,合久必分。
The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. This has been so since antiquity.
A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:54 am

I feel like I'm unknowingly surfing the rivers of time, so that when a major Bad Thing happens I narrowly avoid going down that stream and continue down the the one that means life continues. Whether through accident, dumb luck or design I shall never know.

This is why all those predicted apocalypses and cataclysms never actually happen.

At least, I hope this is the case with the chasm of Brexit fast approaching!
Image Image Image Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 am
I have your back, Maddie :hug:
:flutterunsmith:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm

I am still bad at debating or making arguments without either sounding patronizing or like a clueless doofball

to be fair, I am clueless half the time. I can forget anything important with ease :-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Communication is hard for everyone (especially in text-only form), some are just better at pretending otherwise. You're fine, try not to overthink or criticize yourself too harshly. :flutterunsmith:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:21 pm
Communication is hard for everyone (especially in text-only form), some are just better at pretending otherwise. You're fine, try not to overthink or criticize yourself too harshly. :flutterunsmith:
I’m trying :flutterunsmith:

In unrelated news, I now own a shirt with Sailor Moon on it and it’s rad

Thanks for reading my random thought

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:04 pm

oh heck yes :allears: Got a picture of the design?

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:07 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:04 pm
oh heck yes :allears: Got a picture of the design?

I had to go down a size smaller than normal. They’re sized quite large and it hung down a bit more than even a dorm shirt does on me :-I It’s meant to be tucked in, but I don’t need it hanging near my kneecaps to be able to tuck it into my pants