Pony Joe's: Post Not-So-Great Things That Happened

Where everybody knows your name. (Safe Spaces and Self-Help)

Moderator: Momo

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Re: Pony Joe's: Post Not-So-Great Things That Happened

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:12 am

Perpetual Motion wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 pm
My sleep has been super messed up for way too long.
The same here.
But...
This one's too young

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Every person who's been interested in my RV has backed out the last second. I don't know what to do, I'm losing money on it and it's about to be trashed. I was hoping to use that money to maybe get a few nights at a hotel. Get out of the cold, soak in a tub for a minute and relax. But gguess I'm not allowed to have good things happen to me. Only bad.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:27 am

so, i've had this years-running Thing where i get headaches on and off that don't quite feel like ordinary headaches and more like they could be migraines. they always seem to be localized to one side of my head at any given time and are mostly felt somewhere around the back or outer sides of my eye sockets

and over the last month or two i've been having an increasingly ridiculous amount of fatigue. it's gotten to where i can end up spending maybe ~20 hours of a day in bed if i can't find something engaging to distract me from the sheer discomfort of not resting

and finally, since yesterday i started waking up with a strange half-congested feeling in my right nostril, and i'd see some blood only coming through that nostril the first few times i'd blow my nose after sleeping

this morning i finally decided to do some research on all these symptoms and it seems the most likely cause is the one i anticipated: a sinus infection. there are of course some other possibilities that fit the bill (meningitis, respiratory infection) but the point is i now have a concise enough concern that i might actually remember to bring it up with my doctor the next time i see him. because this honestly really sucks and i'd rather do something about it if at all possible
:-I

i'd urge anyone else to do the same if they've ever noticed some of the above things without thinking much of it, because if there is a problem then let me tell you it will only get more harsh as you neglect it

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:02 am

I get sinus infections all the time, especially in winter. Have you tried psuedoephedrine (e.g. "sudafed")? You can get it in the US without a prescription but have to show your ID to the pharmacist.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 am

I'd also recommend getting a humidifier for your room when you sleep. The weather in Winter can be extremely dry depending on where you live, and the blood when you blow your nose in the morning makes me think it's due to excessive dryness.

I'm also a chronic sinus infection sufferer, and Pseudoephedrine definitely helps.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try Pseudoephedrine for a while and it didn't seem to make any difference. That probably confirms the slight congestion and nose bleed after sleeping are simply from dryness and probably have nothing to do with the other symptoms, which have been coming and going for some time now without following any kind of seasonal pattern.

At any rate, I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday and he said the first thing I should probably do is get a CT scan of my head to rule out any serious cause, which I had done today. If I don't hear about the results anytime soon, that's probably good news.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am

So Aline and I are working on buying a house, and have been busy with it for the past several months. We were supposed to have an appointment with the notary on monday to finally get everything taken care of.

Turns out the notary is not aware of current European law and is refusing to cooperate, according to him we're not allowed to buy land as foreigners. This is actually wrong as this legislation changed back in 2012, but it's proving to be difficult to convince him.

We do have a way to get it taken care of, but it just means yet another bit of delays... I was really hoping we'd actually be living there by now.
Image I shall sing you the song of my people
ImageImageImage

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Jill wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm
At any rate, I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday and he said the first thing I should probably do is get a CT scan of my head to rule out any serious cause, which I had done today. If I don't hear about the results anytime soon, that's probably good news.
welp (click through if you don't see two tweets)

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Holy shit! Hope it's nothing serious :ohdear: Wishing you the best

And yeesh, the reviews of that doctor :nngh:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Oh yeesh, is there any way to get a second opinion ... ? Rooting for you in any case.
Image /// Image /// Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Yeah, I hope you can get a second opinion. :nngh:

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:18 pm

FYI, you missed an instance of his name.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 pm

ah, welp :-I

I'm not going to bother fixing that since it only makes it a little more inconvenient to just find the guy's office by googling a string of text from one of the reviews.

Anyway, I'm probably going to cancel and look for someone else. The odds of him being any better than a waste of my time and transportation seem really slim, and I don't believe anxiety has clouded my judgement here. He is like 0 for 20 on favorable reviews and only has handful of 5* votes on a site which he is loosely affiliated with.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Doctors can be difficult. I've had doctors straight up leave for various reasons, not telling me at all and leaving me stranded. Which nobody seems to find wrong. :unenthused: Sometimes I feel like I'm living the story of the emperor's new clothes every day.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 pm

G I just fucking love my luck. I am currently suspended summer job I'm out of money meaning not a lot of food and I can buy to feed me and my roommate been a long day how to keep the RV heat keeps running

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:05 pm

My psych doctor’s been slow to approve my Rx refill this time. I’m working on the problem, but meanwhile this is day 4 since my duloxetine ran out and the withdrawal symptoms are really not fun today. :cuckoo:

For 2019 I’d really like to lighten the dosage and start weaning off the stuff, if I can, but obviously going from 60 mg straight to zero isn’t how I want to do that.

Till I get this Rx nonsense cleared up, I’m just going to have to adjust to a few days of anxiety, distraction, bizarre dreams and weird head sensations.

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm

My mother passed away suddenly last Thursday. I don't know if it's really sunk in yet. Recent and ongoing events in my life have left me emotionally crippled, and right now it feels like I should be more upset than I really am. I feel a ball of grief and rage building up in my throat, but nothing seems to dislodge it.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm so sorry, Momo :cry:

My partner lost his father suddenly to a brain aneurysm shortly before I met him, and I'm sorry to say that the grief and rage you're feeling will abate with time, but never truly go away. :fluttersmith:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm so sorry Momo. Losing parents sucks. :cry:

Name: Tammy

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Holy fuck, Momo. I am so sorry for your loss. If you need it, I'm always ears.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Oh geez, Momo. I'm so sorry. My condolences to you.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Momo. Don't worry about grieving right or wrong, there's no way to properly judge that and every person is different in how they handle difficult situations.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 pm

I'm so, so sorry for your loss, Momo. There is really nothing I can say to make this better or easier, but please know you are surrounded by friends and sympathetic people, and you can reach out to all of them absolutely anytime. You're not crippled, or worthless, or doing any of this wrong. But it's hard to process, and that's legit. You're not alone, but you are loved, and there are resources for you. You deserve them anytime you need them.

My father's death was not sudden at all, and it still wasn't a feeling I was prepared for. I think nothing could have prepared me for it, no matter how happy, healthy or emotionally mature I could or could not have been. It still hit me like a truck and there were no answers on what to do and how to deal with it. It was a grueling, ongoing process with many shapes and forms and facets. I think some part of me will never be done with this path. My father died 14 years ago and the pain still comes back in various forms that have transformed over the years. Like an old scar, it still hurts some days, sometimes in ways I didn't expect. On other days it merely itches, in little ways that make my father's absence felt. Like a scar, the raw pain has healed over the years, but it is always a part of me, and I'm not expecting it to go away.

What I do know is that through this incredibly individual, personal process, I'm definitely changed. Loss and grief change people, I think that's a fundamental truth. But it doesn't need to leave you broken or damaged in some way. You're not damaged goods or messed up beyond repair. Grief isn't some poetic, romantic thing that makes us better people, but in some ways it will always transform us, and not all of those ways have to be bad, or lasting damage. My own grief and trauma made me a different person, but nobody in their right mind would call me a bad or messed up beyond repair type of person today. I'm still worthy and capable of love, I'm still a person worthy of respect, a person with strengths and flaws and likes and dislikes. The same goes for you now, and will always go for you in the future. Some days are really hard, but they don't make you a bad or unlovable person.

I hope my rambling helped you in some way. Please, anytime you need to, you can message me on Discord.

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Oh I'm so sorry for your lost Momo. The grief may not hit you in a typical way, but we are all here for you no matter what

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 am

I'm so sorry, Momo. If you need to talk or just like... be, but with company, my ear is open.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:49 am

I’m so sorry, Momo. If there’s anything I can do to help, just ask.

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 pm

So my luck just gets worse and worse and worse.. my cab got hit so I can't work until I get reviewed which probably won't happen until Monday. I've got bills due and no way to buy food. I don't know what to do. I'm hungry and the place that I sleep is basically towed.:fluttersmith:

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:02 pm

Sailor Yue wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 pm
So my luck just gets worse and worse and worse.. my cab got hit so I can't work until I get reviewed which probably won't happen until Monday. I've got bills due and no way to buy food. I don't know what to do. I'm hungry and the place that I sleep is basically towed.:fluttersmith:
I'm really sorry. :fluttersmith: I wish I could suggest anything beyond the obvious (I assume you've already looked for food banks, etc. in your area, and you'd know better than I would what resources are there.)

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Why the fuck to i have shit luck??? At did I do in life to deserve this???? My card got skimmed and $95 was just stolen from me so now I can't pay my phone bill

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 am

I hate my life. Nothing will ever go right. : :fluttersmith: :

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 am

So for my Kickstarter, in an effort to earn pledges, I offered to do sketch commissions in exchange for a pledge.

Well, one person I did a sketch to cancelled his pledge as soon as I hit 100%, temporarily making it few dollars short of the goal (I've since gained new pledges, currently having 101% of the total). Needless to say, the fact that he had the galls to do that pisses me off, especially since I did a drawing for him.

Apparently he does this kind of shit, having complained about him in an Discord art group I'm in. Other users told me they had bad experience with him as well.

Lesson learned, he will pretty much be "blacklisted" from future commissions. Other artists in the group agreed and followed suit.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:53 pm

I always said that I'm tech-illiterate when it comes to computers, and here's a proof: I bought some extra rams to add to my hard drive after doing a research.

So I get them in the mail and put them in and...TL;DR: I bricked the entire hard drive. It's now unusable no matter what. I may be a millennial, but I might as well be a baby boomer when it comes to computers.

I have back-ups, so nothing important got lost, including the comics and book files, but still, this is an absolute worst time for this to happen :fluttersmith: I'm honestly really fucking tired of this right now.

I have dad's old HD that I can use for the time being, but I may still need to buy a new pre-build hard drive, and they don't come cheap. Anyone wanna become a Patreon backer?

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:58 pm

.... What, um.... What part is the "Hard drive?" Because I think you're using that term to describe something different than I would use that term for.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Uhhh, "rig", is that it?

Yeah, I don't know exactly what it's called, but the computer itself, I guess.

Let me emphasis this: I might as well be a Baby Boomer when it comes to understanding computers.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 pm

I really mean this without irony or trying to be mean, but it definitely sounds like you could benefit from a beginners tutorial/course on computer hardware 101. Having a basic understanding of what goes on in your computer can save you a lot of headache and expensive support services in the future. Factory knows this sorta thing better than me, so I'm certain he can link some videos.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that might be beneficial.

In hindsight, it was time for me to get a new rig anyway, given that i had this for over 10 years at this point, and it's been going slow lately. The RAM slots were rather hard to reach: it was behind a DVD drive, and to get there I had to remove that, put the RAMs in, and put the DVD drive back in. I may have damaged something in the process while doing this.

I'm starting to think my rig was badly designed/engineered, and it was only a miracle it lasted this long.

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Here, Newegg has a good basics video. The goal is for you to get comfortable building a system from parts, but like.... Geez I dunno any good sources! I did find a wikibook as well.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Computers ... The_Basics

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:48 pm

And don't forget, we have a computer thread in the Fence Post, and it's absolutely zero shame to ask for help there.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Needless to say, while it's very likely I only damaged it because of how badly laid out the inside was (again, the RAM slots was behind a CD drive), I'm really terrified to try to install RAMs again in the future, even if it's more easier to reach the slots.

I'm kinda peeved about it, because friends told me it was easy to install RAMs. But I had no idea how the inside looked. From what I gathered, this isn't normal for rigs.

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:07 pm

For specific topics like that, TechQuickie is a good Youtube channel. It's a LinusTechTips channel, and Linus is a bit of a personality, and older ones are less professional, etc. etc. etc....

But that said, memory modules are indeed easy to install, once you know the trick to it. But with computers, 99% of the work is in the "knowing the trick of it".

To be clear: Your computer may not be dead. It can be pretty hard to damage a reasonably recent PC (which yours is) doing most maintenance tasks (which includes installing RAM). The next step would be to undo the changes you made - take out the new memory, reinstall the old memory, etc. - and see if the system starts up again.