General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Princess Flufflebutt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:49 pm
Tetra Master makes no fucking sense

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Princess Flufflebutt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:49 pm
Tetra Master makes no fucking sense
That's because whoever came up with it decided that it wasn't enough for it to just be an overly complex retread of Triple Triad, they needed to add a further random element to the gameplay to make it so that even if you try to play by the rules as they're explained to you, you can still get screwed over and lose because of the RNG.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 pm

I don’t like card games, or TCGs, they basically make no sense to me but that’s because I’m bad at math and don’t care enough to get better :-I :negative:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:34 pm

I like card games and I think Tetra Master is a giant mess so take that as you will
Image /// Image /// Image

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:31 pm

I've seen the inner workings of Tetra Master, like, its raw numbers.

It's really fucking random.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 am

I never played Dota or got into mobas in general, but man do I love Auto Chess :awesomedash:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:25 pm

A positive thing: Someone kindly got me New Suoer Mario Bros U Deluxe :memories:

A ridiculous thing: they changed how the spin jump works. while I was working this out, I died to the first goomba :-I how game, help

A weird thing: they made the option to toggle the spin jump a cheat code which is used at the title screen. Should just be a remappable option, but that’s Nintendo

Anyway, I haven’t played this in almost 7 years, so this will be fun.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Madeline wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:25 pm

A weird thing: they made the option to toggle the spin jump a cheat code which is used at the title screen. Should just be a remappable option, but that’s Nintendo
:psygum: what the heckles
ImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 pm
:psygum: what the heckles
That was how I felt too :-I You click down on the L stick for 3 seconds, then start by pressing L + R, and you hear Nabbit yelp when it works

It sounds like one of those playground urban legends but it’s not

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 pm

It sounds like one of those cheats they designed just for slow months for the nintendo power cheat section. "hold this and press this and you'll hear a sound and that unlocks yoda in terminator 2"
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:55 am

Does it mention it in the digital manual or something, because I'm not sure how else people would discover that to start with.

It's not the first time Nintendo has put things that should be core game options behind obscure cheat codes (see changing the time on the clock in Pokémon GSC, for example), but it does feel really weird in this case?

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 pm
It sounds like one of those cheats they designed just for slow months for the nintendo power cheat section. "hold this and press this and you'll hear a sound and that unlocks yoda in terminator 2"
It does!
Venusy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:55 am
Does it mention it in the digital manual or something, because I'm not sure how else people would discover that to start with.

It's not the first time Nintendo has put things that should be core game options behind obscure cheat codes (see changing the time on the clock in Pokémon GSC, for example), but it does feel really weird in this case?
Nope, it doesn’t mention it in the digital manual whatsoever. A redditor randomly discovered it at the end of January, GameXplain made a video about it, and only then did Nintendo openly talk about it. And even then only in the game’s News topic section on the Switch itself like a week or two ago.

The whole thing is utterly bizarre, especially considering the new control scheme actually makes the game harder by making it too easy to activate the spin jump, this causing you to fall to your death. It actually makes playing as Toadette worse because she’s supposed to be the easy option, with access to Peach’s floaty jump, and yet trying to use it gets you killed at random times when she spin jumps instead. The game wasn’t designed for this change in control schemes at all. Plus if you’re using a single joycon (in multiplayer, tabletop, or docked mode), you can still shake to spin jump. So why change it from being a separate button press?

The game is so much better with the original controls, and it’s just weird that Nintendo handled it this way.

The GameXplain video:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 am

I finally got around to digging out a game I never got around to playing, the original Spyro the Dragon. Is it possible for a game you never played to make you feel nostalgic for an era of games you barely experienced? Because that's what I'm feeling right now. That, and just a sense that this is the most fun I've ever had with a 3D platformer. I don't know why that is, and I'd very much love to get to the bottom of that. Especially since you don't often see it held up as one of the greats compared to its Nintendo 64 contemporaries.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:25 am

I think at the time, it was a combo of Spyro being a few years after Crash on the PS1 side, and the more limited selection of games on the N64 side. (I also don't remember any sort of major ad campaign for Spyro? I can remember "you will believe a bear can fly" and the guy in the Crash suit yelling through a megaphone outside Nintendo/Sega HQ, but not one for Spyro)

Additionally trying to do large open levels on hardware that wasn't really designed for them meant some visual compromises that Crash didn't have to make - and subsequently why I was so glad for Reignited allowing everything to shine, compared to N-Sane Trilogy where I didn't really need the visual update (at least for 2 and 3).*

Have you reached Tree Tops yet? And are you planning on playing Reignited to compare? :allears:

* Though I played N-Sane on Switch, and that version has a lot of visual features missing - including some that were present on PS1.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm

I don't know how major it was, but I remember the commercials that had a singed and pissed-off sheep being interviewed and ranting about Spyro being a menace. They were very much in line with the Crash ad campaign, but now that I've actually played the game I suspect they were also inspired by the interview theme of the game's opening cutscene.

At the moment I've just finished Dream Weavers, and (albeit with some pointers) have 100%ed every normal level except Tree Tops, because holy crap that's going to take so many attempts. Even some of the lesser supercharge challenges have required me to resort to savestates just to save time on the literal dozens of attempts they took. I slammed into so many walls going for the one in Haunted Towers. I've also been holding back on the flight levels, which might have been a mistake because now I have to tackle them all back to back.

As for the remake, well, that depends on whether Activision plans to release it on PC (which seems likely, but anything could happen), and whether I can be assed to upgrade my computer by then.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:32 am

Yeah, with Reignited retroactively adding the gem finder to Spyro 1 and 2, Tree Tops was the main thing where I had to search how to 100% the level (memory of Spyro 1 was a lot fuzzier than the other two), and even then I'm pretty sure it took a lot of lives/attempts even knowing where to go.

And yeah I imagine Activision probably very much do want a PC and Switch release for Reignited - though whether Switch will be possible without some massive compromises, I'm not sure. The issue there was the aggressive release date they set; Spyro 3 was apparently in a state resembling Sonic 06 before the delay, so TFB would have had no time for optimizations for other platforms.
I'll definitely double dip once it comes to PC, and maybe triple dip on the Switch version.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am

My brother got me an eShop card so I bought World of Final Fantasy Maxima when it was half off. I haven’t beaten a jrpg since Skies of Arcadia and FFVIII :-I Just trying to play different things rather than platformers and Metroidvanias.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 pm

I've barely played the halo games, since I didn't have an XBOX. My friend did and had me play the multiplayer but boy howdy I did not enjoy that :-I How's the single player stuff though??

Also, could this porting of a long time standing console-exclusive FPS to PC mean that we'll finally get a pc version of metroid prime, please say yes even if it's not gonna happen.
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 pm
Also, could this porting of a long time standing console-exclusive FPS to PC mean that we'll finally get a pc version of metroid prime, please say yes even if it's not gonna happen.
Microsoft is in the odd position of both dominating the PC market by operating system usage and having the Xbox be weak enough that they're openly flirting with Nintendo in regards to console gaming. Nintendo meanwhile has no presence on PCs and relies on their strong first-party games running on their consoles, so if it ever got to the point where they would bring past titles of theirs to any platform other than a Nintendo console, it'd mean they both needed money and had run out of fresh ideas that would print money for them. (Amiibo coming out seriously kept Nintendo afloat during the doldrums of the Wii U era, for instance.)

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 pm
I've barely played the halo games, since I didn't have an XBOX. My friend did and had me play the multiplayer but boy howdy I did not enjoy that :-I How's the single player stuff though??

Reach and ODST are fantastic single player/co-op campaigns, 3 and 2 are okay, and 1 doesn’t hold up very well these days with its repetitive levels that go on for too long and have way too much backtracking. Haven’t played 4 past the first level so I can’t speak to it.

One neat thing about the collection is that it has a bunch of playlists of levels from all the games, so you have one that lets you play through all the levels where you’re in a tank or all the levels where you are escaping an exploding facility

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 pm

The first two games in the series did get Windows ports, eventually. The second one infamously required Windows Vista despite not actually making use of any of its features (it literally just checked what OS version you had and refused to run if it was older; this was easily circumvented) and I'm not aware of anyone I know ever buying it.

I can't vouch for the campaign being better than the multiplayer because my issues with the multiplayer extend to pretty much the entire genre at the time; it always seemed like the only viable strategy was "find the one stupidly-overpowered gun and then steamroll everybody". But I guess I'd describe the first game's campaign as being kind of like Half-Life's but with cutscenes and worse level design. Humans are at war with a coalition of alien races, and one of the Space Marines' last ships crash lands on a mysterious artificial ringworld. As the Marines' token super-soldier, you're tasked with protecting what used to be the ship's AI and the data it's carrying as you explore the ringworld hoping to unlock its secrets—which may be the key to winning the war—before the aliens do.

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 pm

I've beaten Halos 1-4 (Reach and ODST included) on Legendary and really enjoyed them. The level design tends to be just open enough for you to approach any given encounter from a variety of angles, though occasionally you'll find yourself checkpointed into some unwinnable corner. This is less of a problem on easier difficulties because you'll generally have enough shields to make it back to relative safety. The weapon variety is also pretty good, with a selection of physical and energy weapons to choose from. The human weapons tend to pair 1-1 with the alien ones, but they function differently enough that you usually don't feel like they're rehashes.

I'm also pretty fond of the story, as it's a pretty interesting and (usually) thoughtfully set up sci-fi universe, and I'm a sucker for those. It's nothing spectacular, as far as storytelling goes, but it serves the games well and has a lot of background info and a bunch of surprisingly good tie-in novels to read if you like what you see.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am

I only played what I estimate was about 1/3 of the way through the first game at a friend's house way back, so this is perhaps the biggest bit of Halo lore I know:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:21 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am
I only played what I estimate was about 1/3 of the way through the first game at a friend's house way back, so this is perhaps the biggest bit of Halo lore I know:
btw, people think this is actually something from the Halo novels but as far as I understand it the picture showing the text was fake

so it's one of the marvelous running jokes of the internet that are great fun but not for their reality value :v:
Image /// Image /// Image

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 am

Baba Is You came out recently and oh my god just play it

i usually don't do proper reviews but i feel like i owe it to this game to gush about it a bit, so i have a short one up on steam here

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Switch-havers, Nintendo is running a whole free week for Splatoon, along with a free week of Nintendo Switch Online (even if you've previously used the free week you normally get). Unlike past demos, your progress will carry over if you buy the full game, which is available for 20% off. This all starts tomorrow!

Click here for details.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Neat. Taking a page from Steam's playbook.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Super Metroid turns 25 tomorrow (well, now-ish, in Japan)! Happy birf to my sentimental favorite game :party:

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 am

Super Metroid has a special place in my heart as the first Metroid game I ever played, and also one of the first video games I can ever remember evoking a visceral emotional response from me on a purely storytelling level.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:10 am

Have gotten into Neolithic city builder Dawn of Man. It's pretty neat so far, it's fun to see my play style change as I move through the ages.

Here we see prehistoric puppers hanging around my tribe's totem.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:14 am

LET'S DO THIS THING.

UPDATE: I DID NOT DO THE THING.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Holy moley you guys Return of the Obra Dinn is so damn good.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:38 pm
Holy moley you guys Return of the Obra Dinn is so damn good.
I got at least one buddy voicing in it, and it looks amazing.

===

Also, I dug out my old PSP and turns out it is a 3001 model, much to my surprise. So I've spent the day installing custom firmware and a bunch of new programs on it and I'm excited.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Yeah, I bought a PSP Go recently for emulation on the go at a portable size while also supporting Bluetooth so I can use my earbuds with it if I want to, and I'd forgotten just how much I used my old one for.

(It is best to own another one if you own a Go so you can rip UMDs for use on the Go)

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 am

Aramek wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:03 pm
I got at least one buddy voicing in it, and it looks amazing.
Tell 'em they did a great job (as every VA did a great job).

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm

So I finally bought a Switch. Only have Breath of the Wild atm but i plan on getting Diablo 3 and a bunch of indie titles to tide me over until Pokemon comes out.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Click for Fullsize

Who has been playing 3 out of the 4 AdnD Gold Box Quadrilogy? This guy. Only completed 1-3 on my C64 bitd and the 4th was on higher end systems. And is brutally tough so you almost need a strong group of bad ass mofos that have been forged in the previous 2 games. (The first one is missing 2 PC classes and a lot of QoL improvements. Heck, it's not till this one it had 256 color graphics.)

I need to finish the fight and a quick to boot up Mac iisi is just the ticket.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Juju&Lulu wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm
So I finally bought a Switch. Only have Breath of the Wild atm but i plan on getting Diablo 3 and a bunch of indie titles to tide me over until Pokemon comes out.
Flash us some digits yo
ImageImageImage

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:24 pm

I dipped back into Assassin's Creed Odyssey to continue the base game's story, and it's still such a gorgeous looking game. :allears:

New signature pending.