The Garbage Dump: 100+ pages of well-aged compost

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Re: Garfield (Garbage) Dump Thread Episodie (?) A Nermal Dump

Post by Dal (?) » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Octavia wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:06 am
Nice.
Edit: :fluttersmith:
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 am

Your style comes through clearly enough that if I'd seen it with no context I would've assumed you worked on it!

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am

Dal wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm
Edit: :fluttersmith:
hahahaha
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:30 pm

The US Women's National Team won their first World Cup match 13-0. :starity:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Octavia wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:30 pm
The US Women's National Team won their first World Cup match 13-0. :starity:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Goal differential is the first tiebreaker in group play, so keep piling up those goals. :dwi:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 am

I'm legit excited for these. They're doing 1,000 minutes of new Looney Tunes cartoons of varying length (this one is only 90 seconds, for example). They're doing it in the spirit of the classic shorts, and the samples shown look GREAT.

Can't wait to see more :yay:

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 am

It fooled me...when I first saw it on Twitter, I thought it was old. Image
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 pm

gotta say one thing i wasn't expecting to see again was bugs with his yellow gloves
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:35 pm

The Ghost of Ember wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 pm
gotta say one thing i wasn't expecting to see again was bugs with his yellow gloves
Pee glove.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 am

I'm legit excited for these. They're doing 1,000 minutes of new Looney Tunes cartoons of varying length (this one is only 90 seconds, for example). They're doing it in the spirit of the classic shorts, and the samples shown look GREAT.

how was this only 90 seconds there was so much happening wtf

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:51 pm
Whoops! Here's the correct link
This link doesn't work either because Washington Post thinks that because I'm not using one of the main 3 browsers that I'm in 'private browsing mode' and it wants me to spend money to subscribe in order to read their website :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm
This link doesn't work either because Washington Post thinks that because I'm not using one of the main 3 browsers that I'm in 'private browsing mode' and it wants me to spend money to subscribe in order to read their website :-I
Yeah, news sites are gung-ho on paywalls lately (because, let's face it, journalists need food, too).

Here's the article copy and pasted:
What are we teaching boys when we discourage them from reading books about girls?
By Shannon Hale
October 10, 2018

I’m on book tour for the latest installment in the chapter book series “The Princess in Black.” A woman asks, “So when are you going to write a series like this for boys?” I say, “These books are for boys. And girls. For anyone who likes to read about a monster-battling hero.” The woman looks skeptical. She is certain that no boy would be caught dead reading a book about a girl, let alone a princess.

I publish the graphic novel “Real Friends,” an autobiographical story of my elementary school friendships. Book bloggers and online reviewers begin to recommend it but advise against giving it to boys since most of the characters are girls.

A school librarian introduces me before I give an assembly. “Girls, you’re in for a real treat. You will love Shannon Hale’s books. Boys, I expect you to behave anyway.”

At a book signing, a mother looks sadly at my books. “I wish I could buy some for my kids, but I only have boys.”

A little boy points to one of my books and exclaims, “I want that one!” His father pulls him away. “No, that’s a girl book.”

I’ve published 30 books over the past 15 years, and I’ve heard all this and much more in every one of the 40-plus states I’ve toured.

It’s clear that our culture assumes:

1. Boys aren’t going to like a book that stars a girl.
Content from A Hulu Original The Handmaid’s Tale
“Creative resistance has been a quintessential part of the American experience,” author Jeff Biggers. Read More

2. Men’s stories are universal, while women’s stories are only for girls.

After all, books about boys (“Harry Potter,” “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” “Holes”) are for everyone, but books about girls (Judy Blume’s novels, “Anne of Green Gables,” “Twilight”) are just for girls.

I wasn’t always sure this assumption was incorrect. Early in my career, I was publicized as “the author of Princess Academy,” my most well-known book, and predictably, only girls and their mothers attended my signings, with just a few brothers lurking in the back or the occasional forward-thinking home-schooled guy.

But after my book won a major award, teachers began reading it to their classes. Dozens of teachers reported to me the same thing: “When I told the class we were going to read a book called ‘Princess Academy,’ the girls went ‘Yay!’ and the boys went ‘Boo!’ But after we’d read it, the boys liked it as much or even more than the girls.”
“The Princess in Black and the Mysterious Playdate,” by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale and illustrated by LeUyen Pham (Candlewick)
“The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare,” by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale and illustrated by LeUyen Pham (Candlewick)

For the first time I had evidence that contradicted everything I’d been taught about boys and reading. I started to pay more attention and found I did in fact have many boy readers — most likely hundreds of thousands of them at this point, but they’d been reading in secret because they were embarrassed. I got better at noticing the myriad ways adults teach boys that they should feel ashamed for taking an interest in a story about a girl, from outright (“Put that down, that’s a girl book”) to subtle (“I think you’ll like this book even though it’s about a girl”). There is peer shaming as well, but it starts with and is supported by adults.

I’ve now asked thousands of kids the same question: “What kind of books do you like?” They answer: fantasy, funny, comics, mystery, nonfiction, etc. No kid has ever said, “I like books about boys.” Yet booksellers tell me that parents shop for their sons as if books have gender: “I need a boy book. He won’t read anything about a girl.”

Not only does this kind of thinking prevent boys from learning empathy for girls, it also prescribes narrow gender definitions: There is only one kind of boy, and any boy who doesn’t fit that mold is wrong.

Stories make us human. We form bonds by swapping personal stories with others, and reading fiction is a deeply immersive exercise in empathy.

So, what happens to a culture that encourages girls to read books about boys but shoos boys away from reading books about girls?

What happens to a boy who is taught he should be ashamed of reading a book about a girl? For feeling empathy for a girl? For trying to understand how she feels? For caring about her? What kind of a man does that boy grow up to be?

The bias against boys reading about girls runs so deep, it can feel daunting to try to change it. But change can start with a simple preposition swap: When talking to young readers, we can communicate that a book is about girls without prescribing that it’s for girls.

The goal is to encourage lifelong readers, and the more we try to tell kids which books are for them, the more reluctant the kids are to read. I have four kids, and I am terrible at predicting what books they will like. The best I can do is fill our house with lots of different genres and styles of books — and then make sure we have a mix of books written by male and female and non-binary writers, writers of color and from other countries and backgrounds, writers of different abilities and beliefs. When I offer these books without shame or judgment and let my kids choose for themselves, they read broadly and voraciously — and we have great conversations.

At a recent school assembly, I asked students from kindergarten through fifth grade, “If a book is about robots, does that mean only robots can read it?”

“No!” they yell.

“Is a book about cats only for cats?”

“No!”

“So, if a book is about a boy, does that mean only boys can read it? How about a book about a girl?”

Kids get it. They just want a good story. They have the potential to be lifelong readers of all kinds of books, learning empathy for all kinds of people and gaining all kinds of experiences different from their own. They’ll be fine. If we adults would just get out of their way.

Shannon Hale is the best-selling author of more than 30 children’s and young adult novels, including “Real Friends,” and the “Ever After High,” “Goose Girl” and “Princess Academy” series.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 am

In “the internet of things is still shit” news:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 am

It was so terrible that Samsung deleted it. I only saw the tweet via this Discord preview.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am

"malware viruses"
ImageImageImageImage

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 am

This is so good it actually makes me a bit angry. Like, you guys could have been making quality stuff THIS WHOLE TIME. :glare:

Do we know anything about the (obviously very talented) team making this? Are they relative newcomers to the animation scene?

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:06 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:23 am
Do we know anything about the (obviously very talented) team making this? Are they relative newcomers to the animation scene?
I know that a lot of people are working on this, in addition to the ones listed in the end credits. Michael Ruocco is one of them, for example. Mike Milo said elsewhere that he worked on some of the shorts as well.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:56 am

Somehow I found out about this.

I can never tell if Andy Kaufman intentionally planned this, or he really did get into a fight during live television unscripted.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm

It's actually both, I watched a documentary about him once, and they interviewed Richards about that. Andy and the producers knew about it, and nobody else did. As Michael put it "I suddenly found myself...getting up and bringing over the cue cards."

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 am

Welcome to SUMMER

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:18 pm

I wonder if Solstice is what all the people who make modern 8-bit soundtracks like VVVVVV got their inspiration from.
ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:12 pm

So I came across this comic newspaper from 2013 that had my name on it. I VAGUELY remember submitting something to them, but I don't remember them saying anything about accepting it for publication. So I ended up ordering the copy on Amazon (the last one they had), and it was some comic involving a black cat that I forgot I've drawn.

At least I have a copy of that publication now for my archive, 6 years later :-I

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Holy shit I love this animation.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:12 am

What did I just watch? Image

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:18 am

Discord is down so I am going to PANIC!!! :qaugh:
ImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Holy shit I love this animation.

Just want to reiterate that "Bluehilda" is an example of a cartoony "anything goes" animation that is WELL DONE, with good pacing and great sense of humor

I sat thru "Cans Without Labels". Worst mistake of my life.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:59 pm

It's not only more energetic than Cans Without Labels, but it actually tells a story in its time frame, instead of "some guy gets mad". And it doesn't make me feel dead inside.

"Cans" felt like that scene in a Ren and Stimpy episode where Ren found that his cousin and Stimpy ruined all his stuff and just kind exploded and then calmly said what he was going to do to them. Makes me wonder if John K was in charge of that episode without any help, it would be nothing but that.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:22 pm

The fact that it took 7 years to make astounds me.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:21 pm

:ponder:
New signature pending.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Bought some collections of comics published in the 1970s. I was kinda struck by just how many cartoons made fun of second-wave feminists in a single book.

(Why yes, most cartoonists ARE male :-I )

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm

With the death of animator Kaj Pindal, I have to share this film he wrote and co-directed at the National Film Board of Canada: "What on Earth!"

The idea that it's a documentary from Mars looking at life on Earth, mistaking cars as Earthlings. Was nominated for an Oscar.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Quote after my D&D bard character was very emotional when his rival confronted him that my character's tavern was crashed by drunk people (and my character's wife is still held hostage by a green dragon) and wanted initially do a skill check (performance or persuasion) to enhance the probability to induce some empathy in his rival:
Emotional breakdown is not a skill.
:-I
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:28 pm

:-I

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm

How It Should Have Ended: The Invention of Lying
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:10 am

RULES OF NATURE
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:09 pm