Actual Pokemon Switch - DYNAMAXING

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Actual Pokemon Switch - DYNAMAXING

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 am

There's also a very detailed 4chan leak going around that posted a lot of what was shown in this Direct, correctly, in late May. With a bunch of new details.

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/463209182

Juju&Lulu

Re: Actual Pokemon Switch - DYNAMAXING

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

Finally, Pokemon Kaiju battles

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm excited this more for a fanart/screenshot/anime perspective more than a gameplay one. I was never too keen on Z Moves, and this appears to be a 3 turn Z Move maybe with some other buffs. :fluttershrug:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:52 pm

I want to see how big a Dynamaxed Wailord looks!!
Image /// Image /// Image

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:46 pm

I wanna dynamax Alolan Exeggutor and like half the Ultra Beasts.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:54 pm

finally, the feature we've been asking for for years, big pokemon
ImageImageImageImage

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 pm

I can take or leave giant pokemon (though raid battles sound pretty sweet), but what I'm most excited for are camera control, wide open fields rather than narrow routes, and the Let's Go style wandering pokemon. Now we just need to see some story details.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 pm

I really really hope they sell a cheap bundle with the game comes out since a switch isn't exactly in my price range at the moment. Any word on that yet?
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 pm
I really really hope they sell a cheap bundle with the game comes out since a switch isn't exactly in my price range at the moment. Any word on that yet?
A bundle of some sort strikes me as a safe bet, but I have no idea how much it'll cost. Its release date puts it just two weeks before Black Friday so I expect there'll be some sort of a deal. Keep an eye on Nintendo during E3 to see if they announce that rumored Switch Lite.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:45 pm

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:35 pm

News from the Treehouse stream - there's some new Pokémon that they've shown off, as well as the PSS replacement, but the bigger news is that only Pokémon in the Galar dex can be transferred to Sword and Shield via Home. :facehoof:

That treasured Lugia you got from XD and have transferred it through every game since? You'd best hope that's in the Galar dex!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:54 pm

I strongly assume the transfer limit is either a National Dex unlock style thing or just temporary. I'd wait for clarification from Nintendo on that one.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 pm

And even if you can't bring them into Sword/Shield, couldn't you still keep them in storage? That would mean your Pokemon would be held hostage even more so than they currently are in Pokemon Bank, but at least they'd still be there.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:54 pm
I strongly assume the transfer limit is either a National Dex unlock style thing or just temporary. I'd wait for clarification from Nintendo on that one.
It was translated twice during the Treehouse stream, and was apparently very similarly worded in Japanese.
Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 pm
And even if you can't bring them into Sword/Shield, couldn't you still keep them in storage? That would mean your Pokemon would be held hostage even more so than they currently are in Pokemon Bank, but at least they'd still be there.
Yes, they would be safe in Home - but also the transfer into Home from Bank/LGP/LGE/Go is one way only, so they'd be unusable in anything other than Home.

I genuinely hope it is something they patch rather than being a selling point for the third version/second pair/Sinnoh remakes. Otherwise, multiplayer between Sw/Sh and what comes next is going to be very awkward from the restrictions.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Here is the clarification:
(from https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemo ... -interview)

The thing is, at least from what's been shown so far, I can't recall any animations on returning Pokémon that weren't in the 3DS games? (Granted, I play with battle animations off so I don't know that for sure)

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Huh, thanks for posting that. I suppose that makes sense. We really have a giant amount of mons now. For those who care about competitive, that stuff has gotten more and more impenetrable with each generation.

Not saying this is a fun proposition, because I'm absolutely certain some of my faves will not carry over either, but I can see the logic at least.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm

if audino is not in this game it's a non-buy

i'm full of shit

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 pm

hopefully the Galar dex is at least 500 pokes, maybe 600, and it's obscure Pokemon like Dunsparce who get cut. that would limit the damage.

still a bleh move, especially if cut Pokemon return as paid DLC sometime.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 am

I can't see them doing paid DLC - they'd need to update the game anyway in that case for compatibility reasons (and also, anyone needing to take advantage of it would already be paying a subscription for Home). If they're going to make you pay a second time, it'll be for the next game - even though Game Freak's historical arguments against patching no longer apply on the Switch*.

Famitsu is out, and that says there's no plans to patch things in - however, that article was written before the backlash to the decision, so could change. It does say they'll have "an active role in Pokémon Home" - which makes me wonder if Home is more similar to Ranch or Poké Pelago rather than Bank.
It also confirms that Megas and Z-Moves are out, so I'd strongly suspect that some Pokémon that had a Mega will be out as well (looking at Kangaskhan, Pinsir, and Mawile, for starters - the returning Pokémon we've seen so far are heavily biased towards those with evolution lines)

* I believe for local multiplayer, Switch games can send out updates to nearby Switches that aren't on the latest version.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 am

In case you missed it: certain Pokémon can Gigantamax rather than Dynamax - which is basically a mega evolution + one of the special species unique Z moves (for example, Gigantamax Corviknight gets "G-Max Wind Rage" - which is apparently Defog + a flying attack, Drednaw gets one that does Stealth Rock + a rock attack).

Oddly, apparently only certain Pokémon within a species can Gigantamax, which is probably going to annoy everyone that would use it if it can't be bred for. Also, the champion's Charizard probably can do it because Mega Charizard X and Y just weren't enough!

Also, this is a minor thing but the new rival is directly reusing animations from Hau

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:26 pm

A couple more details today that further confirmed a 4chan leak from May.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:55 am

The games have apparently leaked, so if you’re trying to avoid anything not officially released now might be a good time to get off social media for a bit.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Like, broke street date leaked or someone actually dumped the ROM or something like a crazy person?
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 am

As far as I can tell, all the in-game screenshots I've seen have been from the same source, so for now, just broke street date to someone that doesn't have the capability to dump the ROM.

However, someone else also got the strategy guide early.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:57 am

Leak discussion now that the full dex is out:
My biggest worry when we first heard about the cuts was past-gen starters and legendaries. It's unfortunately worse than I thought in that respect - I was at least expecting Bulbasaur and Squirtle to make the cut, but apparently not!

The impact on competitive play is going to be fascinating though. So much stuff is missing that some playstyles and potentially even some metagames are gone.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Amazingly, they managed to remove -literally- all my favorite pokemon from this generation soooo yeah I'm not getting this game :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm

GF released a trailer today with some nice quality of life improvements:
- The stat bonuses/drawbacks associated with Natures can now be changed around with mints - it doesn't change the nature itself to avoid issues with thoughts of brainwashing, but I guess that'll only really matter rather than the stat changes if you're catching stuff with Synchronise or they bring back the Battle Palace.
- The EV boosting items (Protein/Calcium/Carbos/etc.) can now take a Pokémon from 0 EVs to 252 in a stat - before they'd stop working after the stat reached 100 EVs. So yeah, Poké Jobs work like Poké Pelago if you don't mind waiting, otherwise just buy up all the boosters you can.
- Max Raid Battles can give various sizes of EXP candy, which can give at least a flat 30,000 EXP for the best ones (this will take a level 1 Pokémon to at least level 27 going by the current formula).
- If two Pokémon of the same species are in the Day Care, parent A has an egg move, and parent B has less than four moves*, parent B will now learn that egg move - so if you've got a good one without that move, it's very easy to teach. (This is also very good for Pokémon with event moves that would really benefit from some egg moves too).
- Much like Let's Go, the Pokémon Box is now accessible anywhere once you get a key item. Unlike Let's Go, the Escape Rope now also seems to be a key item.

Some of these are really lovely tweaks, and I just wish more things could use them - the mints would be so helpful for legendaries!

Something not so nice, from the leak:
TMs use the same infinite use system as the other modern games, but there's a new thing called Technical Records. These ones are apparently one use again - at least some of them are purchasable with Watts you can earn in the Wild Area, but I don't know if all of them will be.

Dragon Dance is the only TR I know at this point, but I could have easily missed the mention of more.

These could be just a replacement for move tutors if they're all purchasable, I just hope they don't make EQ single use or something.

* Remember that the move deleter (and relearner!) is now accessible in every Pokémon Centre.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:37 am

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:26 pm
Amazingly, they managed to remove -literally- all my favorite pokemon from this generation soooo yeah I'm not getting this game :v:
i wasn't interested in the game anyway but for all that's missing, there are at least two (2) new designs that click with me. one is obviously Scorbunny and the other is obviously this leaked mon:

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am

Black and White are my favorite Pokemon games, so the idea of going into a game with literally none of your favorites available for use and having to just make do is already super appealing to me. Plus there's the fact that I have absolutely never bothered with the National Dex in any game that had it, so it being missing doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Combine that with some really cool QoL stuff, the Wild Area, and Game Freak being tight lipped enough that I'm able to go into this game nearly blind, and I'm super looking forward to it!

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:40 am

My current stance is that I'm interested to see how things work with the combination of the power creep being (mostly) turned down and the QoL improvements, despite a lot of my favourites being missing. I do like completing the full dex, but at this point, I've got a living dex of everything from gen 1 to gen 7, so it's just a case of filling in the new stuff and then transferring once Bank (or now Home) gets updated.

There are some losses that sting, and some stuff I wanted to use but now can't. In general though, I'm less worried for my initial playthroughs* and more if I ever want to replay - B/W features a limited in-game selection, but I could always trade over eggs to use a non-Unova team if I wanted to start over - or just play a randomized version.
SwSh just doesn't give that option; the best that could be done is trading over one of the Pokémon from near the end of the game**.

The thing is that I'm already thinking about this game's "third version" - be that Sinnoh remakes or Max Sword/Shield - and that's entirely because of the Pokémon restrictions. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't think about that until after it gets announced and possibly most of the way up until release. (I didn't have too fond memories of R/S and so wasn't too enthused by ORAS until they revealed some of the QoL stuff it did). Here, I'm already banking on whatever the new one is fixing at least this aspect.

* I've ordered both Sword and Shield this time - I want to complete the dex before Home comes out, and fuck trying to deal with item based trade evolutions on the GTS. (Shield is physical, so I could end up trading it in at some point)
** Rotom in particular is one that I suspect is near the end of the game but want to do a playthrough with.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Jill wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:37 am
i wasn't interested in the game anyway but for all that's missing, there are at least two (2) new designs that click with me. one is obviously Scorbunny and the other is obviously this leaked mon:
okay maybe I will get it, that's a fine bun
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm

but seriously not having misdreavus or new best friends pheromosa or lurantis is too harsh
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am

The games are now being actively datamined.

Pokémon:
There’s 35 extra species in the data, including Gigantamax forms for some of them. The other Kanto starters, the Alola starters, Mewtwo, Mew, some of the gen 5 legends, a handful of Alola legends, and some other mythicals including Meltan and Melmetal.
Unexpected cut thing:
Some moves are just gone - Hidden Power, Return, Sky Drop, and Pursuit being the most noticeable. They just give a message similar to “this move can’t be used. We recommend deleting this move, once deleted it can’t be relearned”.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Main story complete with about half the dex caught, now onto the task of catching the rest.

I liked some stuff a lot more than I thought I would, but some of the omissions are notable.
The towns look lovely, but I was surprised at just how much of many of them is walled off or otherwise inaccessible.
Spikemuth in particular is the obvious example - Po Town didn't have a lot in it in S/M, but there was more to it than just being a straight line.

I wasn't expecting to like Dynamaxing and Max Raid Battles - the former due to not liking Z-Moves much, and the latter due to Go. But the lack of item restriction means I'm more likely to want to use Dynamaxing (as is standard, once I find the Amulet Coin, my in-game lead never has any other item) along with the moves being slightly less of a nuke than Z-Moves were.* For Max Raids, they provide a bit more consistent way of catching things than trying to weaken things (or trying to throw a Quick Ball turn 1), I can waste a maximum of one ball per encounter (as opposed to the Farfetch'd I tried to catch which I used up my entire ball supply on), and I still get some rewards even if the catch fails.

The missing Pokémon aren't really noticeable while playing through. They might be in the Battle Tower/competitively, but there's a whole lot of relatively accessible variety so much that you definitely could do some varied playthroughs.

* I still don't know how I'll feel about it competitively/in the Battle Tower.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm
but seriously not having misdreavus or new best friends pheromosa or lurantis is too harsh
there's a new psychic/fairy mon you might like
hatenna -> hattrem -> hatterene

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:58 pm

that is, very powerful, I have to get the game now, hecked up
ImageImageImageImage

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:50 am

Hey, anybody here have Sword and want to trade me a Darumaka? I need it for some egg move shenanigans, but it's version locked. I'll gladly trade something Shield exclusive if you'd like!

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:00 am

What are the exclusives at the moment? For when I have money for a switch + game? :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 am

Pokemon Sword:
Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd
Seedot, Nuzleaf and Shiftry
Mawile
Solrock
Basculin (Red Form)
Darumaka and Darmanitan
Scraggy and Scrafty
Gothita, Gothorita and Gothitelle
Rufflet and Braviary
Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon
Swirlix and Slurpuff
Passimian
Turtonator
Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o and Kommo-o
Stonjourner
Indeedee (Male Form)
Flapple (The 'Tart Apple' item required to evolve is exclusive to Sword, but can be traded from Shield)
Zacian

Pokemon Shield:
Galarian Ponyta and Galarian Rapidash
Corsola and Cursola
Larvitar, Pupitar and Tyranitar
Lotad, Lombre and Ludicolo
Sableye
Lunatone
Croagunk and Toxicroak
Basculin (Blue Form)
Solosis, Duosion and Reuniclus
Vullaby, Mandibuzz
Spritzee and Aromatisse
Goomy, Sliggoo and Goodra
Oranguru
Drampa
Appletun (The 'Sweet Apple' item required to evolve is exclusive to Sword, but can be traded from Shield)
Eiscue
Indeedee (Female Form)
Zamazenta