General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Venusy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:53 pm
apparently slightly less cheap than i thought

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bu ... icy-extras
Dig down in the fine print and the say the game's basically already done, they just want to fart out some extra DLC if the fans (not sure if Bubsy really has fans, or just the attention of people with a lot of money and a lot of irony) have cash.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 pm

To me, some of the tiers seem a bit desperate if DLC is the only thing they're thinking of. The later tiers are all relying on the Bit.Trip Runner series, but it's rare to see "unrelated" video games in a video games Kickstarter - Psychonauts 2 included one/a few copies of Psychonauts 1, not copies of Iron Brigade and Stacking as well. And if they were wanting to sell the game in the same $15-20 initial price bracket as Woolies Strike Back, the only reason for pricing the game + any DLC that gets created as part of this Kickstarter + OST + Woolies Strike Back + Bubsy Two-Fur at $25 would be that they expect to sell next to nothing at the initial price on other storefronts.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm

I suppose I feel like conventional wisdom just doesn't really apply to Bubsy. Accolade must surely know he's a meme at this point and they're thus rolling with it for however long people will keep buying into it. Kickstarter is a good way to test those limits by tossing out a fairly open-ended set of stretch goals.

Pocket
Good Graphics™

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 pm

And so far, people are taking the bait.

Imagine living in a world where like half the population is starving to death, and choosing to give your money to a bunch of yokels making bad games for the sake of memes. Like, that's just about the ultimate fuck-you-humanity move right there.

Pocket
Good Graphics™

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 am

On a lighter note, I just looked up Annapurna Interactive because reasons and found out that they're going to be publishing a Windows port of Journey. I was just thinking about that game and what a shame it is that I'll never get to play it because it was a PSN exclusive. So that's pretty cool.

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:05 am
That doesn't sound bad, thank you for explaining in more detail! My question still sorta remains, though - What does Anthem have going for it where I'll wanna put down the dosh for it? I do really like good co-op experiences, and exploration sounds fun, but I still can't really picture how it'll hit my "shoot and loot with friends" button in a way that Warframe doesn't already. If Anthem has a neat story or cool maps and secrets to explore with friends while you fly around and shoot stuff, that'd be something, for instance. I'm just generally skittish about games with three dimensional movement because I am really prone to getting disoriented in anything remotely approaching flight-based, so I'm just really curious how this game does its thing. If it draws me in with strengths I enjoy, I'd be happy to give it a go at least. I'm just really unsure because this is new territory for Bioware too, and I don't know how their writing fares in this one (considering it can be extremely hit or miss). I'll have to keep having an eye on Anthem, I suppose.
So speaking as a Destiny player, and since Anthem is trying to get that audience, some notable differences are...

1) Destiny is 90% FPS, with some third person elements during Supers or using swords. Anthem is all third person, even when using normal guns.

2) Destiny is far more focused on gunplay than abilities, with only your grenade, melee, and Super as non gun attacks. Anthem is far more focused on abilities rather than gunplay.

3) Destiny has you choose a class (Titan, Hunter, or Warlock) and you have 3 subclasses for each. However, you can't change in the middle of the game. The only thing you could do is start over with a different class. Anthem allows you to switch out suits, which are basically classes, whenever you want.

4) There is no PvP in Anthem. You might get bored just doing PvE all the time, depending on how much content there is at launch. Destiny has both.

5) Anthem is more about verticality and flying. Destiny has jumping and jumping puzzles, but you don't literally fly around the map.

Also, Jim Sterling likes Destiny a lot more than Anthem in its current state. If that's anything to go by.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm gonna put the Nintendo Direct that's coming on tonight up at my Cytube, if anyone wants to be there to chit and/or chat: https://cytu.be/r/perrydoesthings

Image /// Image /// Image

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm

The Zelda reaction should be interesting, the art style is going to be as polarizing (to begin with) as WW's was back in the day, I have a feeling.

Kamiya / Platinum's new IP seems to be... robocops? Not much to go on for now.

There was a lot of anime 3rd party stuff otherwise.

Weird Autumn
I never wanted to change the world, but I'm looking for a new New Jersey
Because tramps like us, baby we were born to die
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:41 am

I'm excited for Astral Chain, I'm always down for a Platinum/Kamiya joint and I'm definitely hyped about ROBO STANDS

Madeline
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Link’s Awakening remake looks cute, not really interested in anything else but this:

Hornet gets her own full game :yay:

Madeline
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Okay, Astral Chain does look good, but I suck at character action games :-I

Actually starting to get hyped for Mario Maler 2, maybe this time I’ll actually make a level instead of getting drawn into the tedious grind of trying to unlock all the costumes

Madeline
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:32 am

Oh Jesus, I’m gullible. People found some rando Doug Bowser’s Facebook and assumed it belonged to the new Nintendo guy. :facehoof: why do I always do this, why am I so fucking dumb