Technical Computer Stuff

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Re: Technical Computer Stuff

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 am

As a former Windows Phone user (I know), we got an early example of this - sites were not designed for mobile IE/Edge at all, filled with WebKit specific extensions and user agent sniffing. Will the rendering just break completely when it tries to push the WebKit specific page? Will it only view IE as a desktop browser and give the desktop version? Will it understand IE is a mobile browser, but in the context of Windows Mobile 6 and so push the legacy WAP version?

I can only imagine Firefox Mobile has the same issues - at least on Android.

There's an example recently of Google pushing a "only works on Chrome!" page that is just user agent sniffing like the bad old days of the web; there is no technical reason it doesn't work on anything else.

Pocket
frist of all how dare yo u

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 am

Venusy wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 am
There's an example recently of Google pushing a "only works on Chrome!" page that is just user agent sniffing like the bad old days of the web; there is no technical reason it doesn't work on anything else.
OUCH. That is Halo 2 Windows port levels of bullshit right there. I mean, at best it means "We didn't take two seconds to pull this up in some other browser to see if it worked"; at worst it means "We are actively sabotaging our competition; suck it, losers!"

Factory Factory
*horn toot*
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 am
So, I've been thinking of getting a new laptop.
[....]
Lenovo's T-series ThinkPads [....]
I really have nothing to add. It's a solid laptop, and while there are others worth looking at (like the 2018 models of the Dell XPS 13 and 15), I think you'd love a ThinkPad.

For reference, the GeForce MX150 is roughly a desktop GT 1030. It is not very fast. Its main use is not even gaming per se, but it could still be useful to you as a way to develop and run CUDA applications, CUDA being Nvidia's proprietary GPGPU API.

Also, WSL is limited but is improving with each yearly update. Here's the April Creator's Update (ver. 1803) notes: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/comman ... ws10v1803/

There's also some enhanced integration with HyperV-hosted Linux VMs, and a Kali distro environment for WSL.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Mr. Big
The Queen of Kitteh
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Cross-posting from PPPP:

I'm shopping around for a new computer. Specifically, one to work on animation and video work.

What computer would one recommend for video editing? For either laptop or desktop. Windows preferred, around $1,000 or less.

I'm hoping for a laptop, although I realize a desktop is usually cheaper.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:22 pm
I'm hoping for a laptop, although I realize a desktop is usually cheaper.
Do you particularly need to be able to take your work with you? Video editing beyond splicing together YouTube poops in Windows Movie Maker is pretty demanding, enough to where you could likely build something decent with $1000 on a desktop (especially if you already have a display, keyboard, etc.) but I feel like you'd be compromising pretty hard with a laptop. I'm not here to dictate your use case to you, but at the $1000 level I do feel it's worth considering if you can do your creative work at home and save other work for when you have to be on the road.

Mr. Big
The Queen of Kitteh
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:45 pm

I've thought about it (I figure I'd have a good enough laptop to do digital art stuff), but I figure for when I need to edit together animation, a desktop would suffice.

Factory Factory
*horn toot*
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Are you already set for a drawing tablet? Or is that not a concern (IIRC you scan real paper more often than not). The good news is that still art does not need much "oomph", so you can get away with a lower core spec in return for fancier features, e.g. with a Microsoft Surface Pro of some lower-end variety.

Either way, I'd prioritize a good screen if you went with a laptop. Dell's refurbished outlet has a number of nice XP 15 (model 9560) for exactly $1000, all of them coming with a quad core CPU, 8 GB of RAM, a sizable hard drive with a wee SSD cache drive, a GeForce 1050 (more a gaming thing, but I wouldn't say no to it), and a high quality non-touch/non-pen display. RAM and storage are upgradeable for down the line.

You could also look into a ThinkPad like Fizz is. I see some new ThinkPad P50s in the outlet store for about $1050 with the 1080p screen. These are ones where a corporation ordered a bunch of one spec and then backed out, leaving a whole bunch of new, unused laptops piled up in the warehouse. They need a little adjustment (for example, they come with Windows 7 installed, but are licensed for 10 as well, so you'd need to do a swapperoo to 10 IMO).

If you decide on a desktop instead, I wouldn't stress too much about specs - again, drawing is typically one of the least intensive professional computing workloads. The big question there is whether you want to build your own or buy a pre-built, and what kind of screen you get to go with it. Or split the difference; get an Intel NUC and mount it directly to the back of whatever nice monitor you get.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Mr. Big
The Queen of Kitteh
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Factory Factory wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm
Are you already set for a drawing tablet? Or is that not a concern (IIRC you scan real paper more often than not). The good news is that still art does not need much "oomph", so you can get away with a lower core spec in return for fancier features, e.g. with a Microsoft Surface Pro of some lower-end variety.
I do have a drawing tablet, and am planning to do more digital art (for animation, drawing it digitally is easier for me, while my comics is mostly traditional), so yeah.

I might have a few ideas on what I want, though, at least for the start.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Well, balls. I got the latest feature update for Windows and now YouTube videos are stuttering. You know, that thing where the audio stutters Max Headroom-style but at 1000x the speed so it's more of a buzzing sound? Normally I'd suspect an impending hardware failure but it literally just started after I applied the update. I tried updating my video driver as well and restarting, but that didn't help.

EDIT: Just confirmed that it happens with games and playing music as well. My computer has essentially been rendered unusable. Lovely.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 am

I got the feature update last night as well and haven't seen that, but... maybe the sound driver got borked? I know mine was really screwed up when I first updated to Win10.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri May 18, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm not sure if it would even be possible to fix the audio driver. The computer is over 10 years old now, and I'm sure the on-board audio device has long since stopped being supported. But I don't think it's just the sound. The video seems to freeze during these hiccups as well, as if the entire computer locks up for a fraction of a second.

Also, I am now sure it's not a hardware issue because I rebooted into Linux and everything is working fine.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Fri May 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I had a laptop that was dying due to physical ossies and a clean linux install made it run basically smoothly again, for a little while, and then that gradually degraded too.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu May 24, 2018 2:35 am

I had a thought. Would it be of use to write a little program that just runs through a loop printing the current timestamp down to the millisecond or whatever, and looking at the output to see if there are sudden gaps? I feel like if both audio and video are affected, then whatever's doing this could be literally stealing clock cycles somehow.

EDIT: Ooh, or maybe program it to store the previous timestamp in a variable, then compare it to the current timestamp every cycle, and flash the screen if it detects a discrepancy of more than 1ms. Then I can watch to see if the flashes sync up with the audio hiccups.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:31 pm

Vintage computer question: The internet tells me that Commodore's 1541 disk drives contained a MOS 6502 processor, the same used in the VIC-20. Are they totally 1:1 interchangeable? Because I have a busted VIC-20 that I have reason to believe is suffering from a dead CPU, and that seems like the easiest way to find out for sure.

Factory Factory
*horn toot*
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Pocket wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:31 pm
Vintage computer question: The internet tells me that Commodore's 1541 disk drives contained a MOS 6502 processor, the same used in the VIC-20. Are they totally 1:1 interchangeable? Because I have a busted VIC-20 that I have reason to believe is suffering from a dead CPU, and that seems like the easiest way to find out for sure.
Check the pinout for a sanity check (Google the chip's part number to get the datasheet), but yes.

Mr. Big
The Queen of Kitteh
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:00 pm

I finally, finally bought a large-format scanner, using the recommendations Tony Fleecs gave me when I met him at Bronycon.

Needless to say, I'm gonna have an easier time scanning large drawings now.