General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Yeah, but the Wiki says:
On December 23, 2016, Liam announced that he was leaving the Super Best Friends due to health concerns with his anxiety.

After leaving the Best Friends, Liam started a new Twitter account, Twitch account and YouTube channel called 『RISING SUPERSTREAM』

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 pm

They're still friends, is what I'm saying. He did a NieR: Automata LP with Woolie recently, too. My guess is that it's easier when he's not bound by the old channel's strict recording schedule and gets to take breaks when he needs them.

EDIT: Unless you mean "back" as in "back to content creation in general" in which case, yeah, he bounced back and found his own rhythm streaming pretty quickly.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am

THERE'S A GAMESACK SWORD IN BLOODSTAINED!

8MEGAPOWER
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:48 pm

(Source)

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is really good!

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 pm

That's a relief. I was never interested in Castlevania, but it's good to have one crowdfunded revival-in-all-but-name of a mishandled franchise that didn't turn out to be a disaster.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I had faith because Igarashi was in a spooky castle and tortured a man.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:03 pm

The Switch version isn’t that good. It’s buggy and crashes all the time, has trouble keeping a steady frame rate, and frequently drops to 15 FPS when in big areas. The opening book animation at bookcases is single-digit FPS. I knew it wouldn’t be PS4 or PC-tier, but I wasn’t expecting constant crashes and disappearing textures. It won’t save my backer ID (it resets on every save load) so I can’t see my name or clan and possibly won’t have access to IGA’s backpack, and I am not throwing down another $10 because the game is too bugged to get this option to work.

The underlying game is brilliant, but the port is so bad. Don’t buy it. Buy any other version of the game but not the Switch one.

I was so excited for this and now I’m just really sad that I made a bad choice. I had faith it would at least be a steady 30 fps alongside the downgraded graphics.

Waiting to see if there will be a patch before I play more, I guess.

Edit: Fuck me, I’m an idiot. My PC would have run this because it’s above the minimum specs. I’m so fucking mad at myself right now.

Maybe I’ll get it on a Steam sale someday, I certainly can’t afford a $40 game right now.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Yeah they sadly dropped the ball quite a bit on the Switch port. The game itself is basically impeccable, so it's a damn shame that one version is so much seriously worse than any other. Especially since playing this on the go would have been quite great.
Image /// Image /// Image

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm glad I don't have any money right now, because I was planning on buying the Switch version on release. Would have been screwed over pretty hard there.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:44 pm

One of the goons who backed the Kickstarter got an e-mail about the Switch version's performance issues:
We have been listening to the feedback regarding Switch performance. Our goal is for everyone, regardless of platform, to be able to enjoy the game and have it run smoothly. We want to live up to your, and our, expectations.

Throughout the QA process we have been addressing performance issues in the game. Update 1.01 was published to Switch prior to launch to add content and improve performance. It did not accomplish as much as we had hoped and we need to do more.

To address the concerns brought up by the community we are immediately shifting resources to improve performance and stability for the Switch. You can expect a number of small updates that will improve different areas of the game rather than waiting longer for one big update. We will have more details as we dive into the work.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Jason “Question” Ryan

Sr Community Manager – 505 Games
So if nothing else, they're working on it. It sucks that it wasn't ready to go right out the gate, but at least they're going to be fixing it as quickly as they can.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 am

Yeah, that's something at least. Hopefully they get it to decently playable state sooner rather than later.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:01 am

I’m glad they want to make it better, but it’s kind of too little, too late for me. By the time they get it fixed up I’ll have lost interest, because my attention span is hellishly short. That part isn’t their fault. :fluttersmith: Nobody’s going to be talking about it anymore by then, and being able to talk about secrets and strategies is half the fun with these games.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:33 am

Don't beat yourself up like that. You're by far not the only person who cannot or will not play the game immediately, plus other folks like you who want to play on the Switch too (again, being able to play on the go is a big perk). Don't talk yourself out of fun based on very pessimistic assumptions.

Strangething
Eventually that's going to stop working, Twilight.

Post by Strangething (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:43 am

The Steam summer sale is has started. Celestia have mercy on our wallets.
The poster formerly known as Strangepony.
I do nothing but play Warframe and Overwatch now. :-I

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am

Strangething wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:43 am
The Steam summer sale is has started. Celestia have mercy on our wallets.
Oh nooooooooooooooo
ImageImageImageImageImage

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:35 pm

I've got so many games no digital sale can affect me.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Same. I've reached the point where my backlog is so big that I feel guilty buying anything new. The fact that it's going to be too hot for the next three months to run my computer any more than I absolutely have to doesn't help either.

Not that there's a whole lot I still want. About the only games in the last year or so that have captured my interest are Subnautica and Parkitect.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:38 pm

So if any of you are past Final Fantasy XIV players, the new expansion is out and the Main Story Quests are absolutely incredible. If you get the chance, come back and go through it.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:26 pm

The music and zones are super great too.
ImageImageImageImage

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I learned the other day that the Steam Link app is finally out of beta, so I installed it on my iPad and gave it a test drive. It's basically this thing where if you have a compatible controller or a Steam Controller (which I do), you can stream games from the computer to your mobile device. And it's... OK-ish? I tried it first with BioShock Remastered, since I had a Steam Controller config set up for that, and there's noticeable input lag. Or rather, output lag, since it helpfully continues rendering everything on my computer screen and I was able to set the tablet right next to it and look at the difference. The process of streaming video from the computer to the tablet is clearly taxing one or the other.

But I noticed there was less of a delay in the Steam menu when the game wasn't running, so I thought, hey, maybe it's the video encoding having to compete with the game for GPU cycles. So I tried Portal, a game I knew to be way less demanding. Aside from learning that Portal doesn't play well with the Steam Controller (Valve please fix), the delay is indeed less severe. So it's possible I just need a less obsolete computer for this. Something to keep in mind next time I upgrade, I guess. I'm in no hurry, since this isn't something I'm likely to use except for the novelty of it.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:26 am

Holy moley you guys Heaven's Vault is so good.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 am

The Switch rumors came true. There's going to be a Nintendo Switch Lite coming in September for $200. Handheld only, the Joy-Cons can't be removed, and it comes in three colors.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Hmm. When they made a cheap version of the 3DS that was missing its namesake feature, they gave it a name that reflected this. But I don't know if that would have been an option in this case. What would you call a Switch that doesn't switch?

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Either a sub or a dom tbh

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Pocket wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:39 pm
Hmm. When they made a cheap version of the 3DS that was missing its namesake feature, they gave it a name that reflected this. But I don't know if that would have been an option in this case. What would you call a Switch that doesn't switch?
"Switch Lite" seems like a perfect name to me, really. It's a modifier appended to the name of Nintendo's current and extremely popular console instead of a name that sounds like it's something completely new. Nintendo has fucked this up in both ways in the recent past, with the Wii U sounding like a Wii accessory even though it was a new console and the 2DS sounding more different from the 3DS than it really was. But here, "Switch Lite" is clear: it's a smaller Switch with features removed and a lower price.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm

I mean, the DS Lite was smaller, but had features added (additional brightness settings). Here - honestly right now I'm not fully sure what they've cut, I've heard conflicting things about whether just the IR camera has been cut or if gyro controls are gone as well - the latter would affect a lot more games.

It doesn't fix my main issue with taking the Switch outside the home, which is the screen and sticks being exposed - I can't just casually throw it into my bag like I could with the 3DS. However, I could see myself just leaving this in a case all the time since it doesn't need to be docked... and I do like how the Pokémon edition looks...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I haven't seen any reports of gyro control being cut, whereas the marketing material so far has been very clear about what has been removed (the IR camera, HD rumble, removable Joy-Cons, the ability to go into a dock). Removing gyro would badly hurt a bunch of Nintendo's first party games and I don't think a gyro sensor and accelerometer are so expensive that removing them would be worth that, especially considering that the Switch Lite can get away with only using one of each instead of the two required for each Joy-Con in the original Switch.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm still salty they didn't call it a LiteSwitch.
New signature pending.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 am

I've seen people complain that it removes motion controls and hooking up to televisions, but since neither of those appealed to me in the first place...
If they ever start putting out stuff I'm interested in I might get this version I guess.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:22 pm

I tried reading about Bloodstained in the SA thread, but the Hollow Knight thread regulars have already shown up and ruined it by getting weirdly defensive that not everyone loves their favorite game. Heaven forbid that people have different opinions and preferences, on the internet

and for reference, I like hollow knight a lot, and am not out to trash the game. I just don’t get why dudes are so invested in ranking two games that are superficially similar but are designed with very different play styles in mind

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:22 pm
I tried reading about Bloodstained in the SA thread, but the Hollow Knight thread regulars have already shown up and ruined it by getting weirdly defensive that not everyone loves their favorite game. Heaven forbid that people have different opinions and preferences, on the internet

and for reference, I like hollow knight a lot, and am not out to trash the game. I just don’t get why dudes are so invested in ranking two games that are superficially similar but are designed with very different play styles in mind
Because they got nothing better to do and need their fix of pointless smugness.

They're both great games, don't bother with shitty goons.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:25 pm
don't bother with [...] goons.
ImageImageImage

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:12 pm

I managed to beat Dark Souls 3 and both of its DLCs. It was my first full playthrough of a Soulsborne ever and before I started, I never thought I'd be able to actually get far in one, let alone finish it. So I'm pretty proud of that!
New signature pending.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:14 am

Learning the Phantasy Star IV speedrun.

The menus are real finicky in this game and a bad input can really mess things up. There's also a couple spots where the game can just decide "hey your run is over" even if you've done everything perfectly.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am

So of all the trailers shown on Nintendo's indie stream, this is the game I'm most hyped for.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:02 pm

So I decided to roll up a new world again when Minecraft's 1.14 update came out, and I think I might have ended up with my favorite worldgen ever. Not only did I spawn right next to a field of horses and a huge mountain I can get emeralds out of, there are three villages directly north of spawn, along with a pyramid that I turned into a forward base.

By the way, I love that you can mark stuff on your map now by right clicking banners. AND, you can dump a whole stack of banners into an anvil at the same time and name them all the same thing for the price of one. Handy for making all the village ones.

The pyramid turned out to be a fixer-upper; a surface lava pool generated intersecting with one of the pillars, so I had to clean that up. In the process of emptying my lava buckets, I molded a nether portal at the bottom of the treasure shaft and that's my main portal now.

There was also a lava cave at the bottom of the shaft just behind a wall, which I decided to clear out and use for a basement. While I was doing it, this guy came through the portal and made himself at home. He left again before I was rid of it all, so I didn't get to kill him for free gold.

I also started digging a combination mine and subway tunnel straight north to try to link up my two bases, and on the way I intersected with four different east-west underground ravines, one of which includes a mineshaft I have yet to explore.

Then I packed up my bed and went on a long expedition to try to fill out my (fully-zoomed-out) maps, ran across a big ocean instead and kept going because treasure. One of the shipwrecks yielded an empty map and enough paper to craft a map-making table and zoom it all the way out. Also, two stalks of bamboo, hence my bamboo farm. Still haven't found a jungle yet.

I did, however, find two more villages. They completely overhauled village generation so that not only is there more variety to the structures and more variety to the styles (desert villages for example now look North African), there are more specialty ones similar to how there were already churches and libraries and forges. Specialty buildings have the purpose of defining a villager's profession, and they do this by containing what I can only describe as a "tool block." Brewing stands, grindstones, blast furnaces, barrels... and villagers spawn unemployed (and thus unable to trade) and when they get close to an unclaimed tool block, they become whatever profession uses that block. So if your village has a church, you will eventually end up with a cleric. If it has a forge, you'll eventually end up with a weapon smith, etc.

Except this building generated with three cauldrons, turning all three locals into leatherworkers. I don't know if that's normal or not, but I don't think it's a bug at least. And yes, if you want, you can add your own buildings and craft your own tool blocks and make the leftover villagers have whatever jobs suit you.

Bonus funny-looking rock formations:

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:10 pm

i just started checking out the latest Minecraft snapshot yesterday myself

i really dig all the improvements they made to villages in 1.14, and many of the new profession blocks are actually useful. in my first world, i provoked an illager raid by accident while exploring and learned the hard way that illagers are not to be fucked with until you have top-of-the-line fortifications and gear:

only one villager survived, likely due to the protection of some AI pathfinding quirk. i might have done better if i had actually bothered to craft a shield or two, but i had grown too accustomed to things in Minecraft being not remotely difficult

the new bee mob is friggin' adorable and seems potentially useful for accelerating crop growth, but the specifics of how they work are still a bit vague to me. spawning them is fairly simple because all you have to do is plant oak saplings in the correct biome and they will have a chance of spawning a bee nest when they grow. managing them beyond that is kinda difficult because their AI is still very buggy (HEH) and you can't move hives around without getting aggro'd every single time. dying to bees isn't much of a threat, but any that hit you will die off within one minute which is not ideal when you're experimenting and trying to build an effective crop pollination system

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Yeah, I knew about the Bad Omen effect ahead of time, so whenever I've come across illagers in the wild, I've made sure to kite them so they shoot their own flag carrier dead before I start going after the rest. And I've been avoiding my own world's outpost entirely since it didn't seem worth it.

As for bees, I've been told they won't sting you if you're holding a flower, and the aggro goes away after a while.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:38 am

i think i found a pretty good way to handle bees as they behave in the current snapshot:

i started by planting saplings in a dense checkerboard fashion near the tilled area and cutting down the trees. before long i had ~4 bee nests with a few flowers around each one. while those produced honeycombs, i was breeding bees at every opportunity to make sure the nests were more than full

eventually the center of each 9x9 tilled area had two bee hives on top of a composter on top of a waterlogged slab, allowing both farmers and bees to work there. i made sure the hives had several occupants before getting rid of the nests, which circumvents a bug where bees will wander off and never claim a new home if theirs is destroyed

bees seem keen on just hovering around their hives and flowers for no apparent reason, so instead of trying to put crops along a path between their hives and flowers, i just put everything within the crop field itself. each composter has a flower planted 3 spaces away from it in every direction, which bees will often hang around for a while after collecting pollen, potentially adding several growth stages to the crops around it

while this farm does not have any mechanism for collecting crops from the villagers who harvest them, i ended up turning 2 villagers into a horde with incredible speed due to their excessive food supply. all i had to do was place a bunch of beds:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 am

CorvusCaw wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:14 am
There's also a couple spots where the game can just decide "hey your run is over" even if you've done everything perfectly.
If the run were shorter I could see that, but only five people have managed a sub-three hour time in the any% no major glitches category. How do you deal with a run that long still having that heavy of RNG?
:snoop: Image :snoop: