Post your game lists 2019 Edition Feat: Dante from Devil May Cry

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post your game lists 2019 Edition Feat: Dante from Devil May Cry

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Another year has come and gone, and now it's time to take stock in what the past year gave us. for nerds like us, it's the time when everyone starts talking about what games they played this year, usually in the form of a top 10 list

post about games you played this year in list form. do you just want to talk about this year's new games? did you just spend this year working on your gaming backlog? just want to list whatever fun games you got around to this year? Were there some games that you hated? Do you want to rank the games you played in some way? i'm not your mom, go nuts. post about your year in gaming however it went for you!

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: Post your game lists 2019 Edition Feat: Dante from Devil May Cry

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:48 pm

My year in games was all over the place. Played a number of games, but right now I'm gonna list them here and then edit in my thoughts on them (and add in any other games I may have forgotten about) later

Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Kingdom Hearts 3
ZeroRanger
Baba Is You
Onimusha 1
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Astral Chain
River City Girls
Untitled Goose Game
Luminous Avenger iX
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Shield
Shovel Knight: King of Cards
Death Stranding

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Did... did I even finish any games this year? :ehhh:

Oh, I did, whew. A few of them. :-I
  • Surviving Mars is a management sim for building a space colony. Pretty decent, had some stretches near the end that needed a lot of fast-forwarding. I terraformed Mars after about 200 years and only one near-mass extinction.
  • Two Point Hospital is a management sim for running a hospital. Corny in the way Theme Hospital was. Decent, but gets tedious in the last handful of levels because of how the completion challenges are set up.
  • They Are Billions has a good sandbox mode, which is what it was designed as, but the story mode they added afterward is a disaster. Difficulty spikes are ludicrous. Just play survival and skip the campaign.
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Untitled Goose Game Image
Still working on:
  • Jedi: Fallen Order, having fun with it, just haven't made it to the end yet
  • Hitman 2 is still going, although the monthly content is probably drying up. Fun while it lasted.
  • Disco Elysium got set aside when Jedi came out, will get back to it eventually.
  • Satisfactory is good building fun but still in early access.
  • The Outer Worlds: another victim of all the good games bunching up at the end of the year. On my short list to finish.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: I uhhhh I'm sure I'll finish this someday. :liarjack:
  • DOOM: Way late to the party on this one, will finish when I get through other high-priority backlog items
  • Watch_Dogs 2: Felt Ubisoft, might finish later
Games I bought and haven't even opened them yet:
:wat: :thehorror: :twonk: :terrified: :byodood: :qaugh:

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:18 am

This year I got a lot of new games and barely played any of them, instead I continued playing games from last year. Tops among these were Oxygen Not Included and Surviving Mars, and near the end of the year I even warmed up Stellaris again (I guess space games were my theme this year). Seriously, I dumped a lot of time into ONI. And I didn't even get to rocketry because I restart after cycle 200 or so.

But new games that I bought and played this year include Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan, Dawn of Man, Disco Elysium, Eastshade, Heaven's Vault, Islanders, Return of the Obra Dinn, Unavowed, and oh yeah, The Witness. I spent a lot of time on The Witness and I think I'm close to finishing it, just need one last big push to tackle the remaining puzzles.

I could mini-review all these titles but not tonight, it's late. :effort:

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:15 pm

I played

A fuckton of Apex
A fuckton of The Outer Worlds
Started Celeste finally.

Forgot what else I played

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:02 pm

Just gonna use this thread to post about the games on my list.

Islanders is a very chill game where islands are randomized for you, and you place buildings on them to earn points and gain more buildings. This is not really a city-builder, though, in the same sense that Mini Metro is not a transport simulation: it's a minimalist strategy game which uses city-building as its aesthetic.

You begin with a starter pack of buildings. Each building you place affects your score, and all buildings have radii within which your points are affected by what other things are nearby. Sort of a simplified NIMBY/YIMBY system. For instance, a Lumberjack Hut gains points from trees in its radius, but loses points from other Lumberjack Huts, meaning you'll want to space them out while still covering as many trees as you can. On the other hand, crop fields gain points from being near other fields, so you'll want to cluster them together.

Earning points gives you access to further building packs and islands. The game ends when you run out of buildings to place and you don't have enough points to buy more or move on to a new island. When you're done with your island, you will generally end up with something that looks like a real city.

With its colorful graphics, simple yet unexpectedly deep rules, and dreamy soundtrack, Islanders is a game you play to relax and make something pretty.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:39 pm

Continuing the theme of chill games, here's Eastshade, a sightseeing game where you explore a pretty island and take pretty pictures of it. And that's basically it.

It's enough.

You, a painter, have arrived on Eastshade to fulfill your mother's dying wish: there are four sentimental vistas on the island you are to visit and memorialize on your easel. But you'll be making a lot more than four paintings, since Eastshade's selling point is that every damn frame of this game is postcard-beautiful:

The place is just oozing with gorgeous scenery everywhere you turn, whether on a moonlit cliff or inside a cozy inn. The day-night system means the lighting is dynamic, and for good measure there's an eclipse every single day at noon.

There are people to talk to, an inventory system, and a smattering of simple quests (mostly to unlock access to new areas), but for the most part it's simply a free world for you to explore and discover new sites to make beautiful paintings out of.

Once you've painted a canvas you can keep it, overwrite it, or export it as a file. NPCs will sometimes commission a work from you and will proudly display your handiwork in their home or place of business.

Also everyone in this world is an animal person of one kind or another.

Eastshade is a prettiness simulator. You're exploring what is basically the Shire, meeting the locals and picking flowers and taking pictures, and if these are things you've ever wanted to do this is a delightful world to do them in.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:37 pm

BABA IS YOU

BABA IS BEST

this game fucks with one's brain in a good way because its very premise - a boxxle clone in which the rules themselves are objects to push - means it has a shitton of options for just getting weird.

I've played as the absence of any object, I've made a level fall, I've made Baba explode so many times.

It's wild.

BLOODSTAINED: RITUAL OF THE NIGHT

I waited a fucking decade and I am so happy jumping in a castle is back.

UNTITLED GOOSE GAME

an inventive puzzle-gooseformer game in which you aggravate a town for esoteric purposes entirely your own. the low-key shenanigans simulator we were missing.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 am

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:39 pm
Continuing the theme of chill games, here's Eastshade, a sightseeing game where you explore a pretty island and take pretty pictures of it. And that's basically it.
I heard of this from the guy who does terrible things to management simulators.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:56 pm

I’m A Bird! Kid is pretty awful and never fails to ruin my chill.

Fontra
forums shittiest ponisters

Post by Fontra (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:42 am

Can't post long but best of 2019 for me was:

DMCV

RE2

3 Houses

Mario Maker 2

Nintendo and Capcom killed it this year

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 am

Honorable mention: Baba is You

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 am

There were too many good games in 2019

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm

Let me show one I forgot to list: this year's (by which I mean 2019's) We. The Revolution.

From Polish developer Polyslash, We. The Revolution is a story of the French Revolution and of Alexis Fidèle, drunkard, gambler, family man, and up-and-coming judge of the Revolutionary Tribunal. In this volatile setting -- which only gets more so as the Revolution gains steam and the Reign of Terror dawns -- your job is to hear criminal cases and levy guilt or innocence as necessary. You'll read the details of the case, ask questions of the accused and witnesses, and when the jury has heard enough to make a decision, levy a verdict.

Now all of this sounds very much like a case-solving simulator, the sort of game where you might play the part of an investigator or ace attorney, sifting the facts and discovering contradictions and, at the end, arriving at the truth so that justice may be served. But no. That is not the world of We. The Revolution. This is Revolutionary France and every court case, from simple burglary to treason, has political weight. The various factions of Paris, from the revolutionaries to the common folk to your own family members, all have their preference as to how a particular case should go and your rulings will make or break your goodwill with them.

And that's your real goal -- to survive and hopefully prosper in this system. You'll quickly learn that your task as judge isn't to ferret out the truth, it's to decide which verdict would be most beneficial to you politically, and then to skew your questioning to make sure the jury sways that way. You're not playing Phoenix Wright, you're playing a cross between Papers, Please and The Godfather. And it's kinda wonderful if you're into that.

When not deciding cases, you'll be scheming to expand your influence in Paris and move up the chain of power. You'll rub shoulders with historical figures such as Robespierre, Jean-Marie Roland and Antoine Lavoisier, and maybe sentence one or two of them to the guillotine. You'll maneuver for control of the neighborhoods of Paris with your loyal agents (there's a mechanic for that), pursue intrigues against your rivals (there's a mechanic for that), and get people drunk and beat them at dice (there's a minigame for that). Meanwhile the stakes keep rising as Paris gets bloodier and your machinations bring yourself and your family increasingly in harm's way.

There's a lot to do in We. The Revolution and I'm quite fond of it. The story is compelling and the art is done in a neat polygon style. I can't quite bring myself, however, to call it an overlooked gem. Despite its polish, a lot of the mechanics are obscure and poorly explained, and figuring out what you need to succeed in a particular minigame is frequently a matter of guesswork. Very often it feels like the main challenge is figuring out how to play it, as if they're being unclear on purpose to make it appear more deep than it really is. This is basically the fault of the writing, which is otherwise quite good when it comes to dialogue and case details (and I've heard similar complaints from people who've played the original Polish so I don't think it's a localization issue).

I'm enjoying it and while I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, or without reservation, if this kind of cynical political historical stuff is your bag then maybe check out a Let's Play or something to see if it suits you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 pm

I forgot 3h, fire emblem has geopolitics and social pressures back baybee I missed the idea that the populace suffers from conflict when awakening and fates focused so much on magic dragons

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 pm

Hey I said that I would write up my thoughts on games that I played in 2019 and oops it's the middle of February, i took forever to do this!!!! lets fix that cause I've got a lot to say about everything in general, so let's start:
  • Final Fantasy Record Keeper - If there's one game I've played all year and enjoyed, it's FFRK, a mobile gatcha game. God help me. I had a lot of fun playing this game, and it's honestly one of the better gatcha games out there, imo. Only problem is that I'm kinda entering the content void, not helped by the current latest hard content being absolutely garbage. I'm still gonna ride it out and see where it leads me, but at least the time I've had with it has been great.
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 - Kingdom Hearts is a dumbass series and I love it, so I was looking forward to this one. It turned out to be a wild as hell theme park ride of a game and I loved it, though it's had it's ups and downs. The Pixar worlds were the best, though the Frozen and Tangled worlds were a bit weaker. The endgame is a bit messy and everything about Kairi getting killed was very annoying, but I still had a blast with the game. It was, however, disappointing that there wasn't anything really engaging about the postgame. You can go back and do some minigames, clear out the excellent Gummi Ship content, and then build the Ultima Weapon keyblade, but there really isn't anything to use it on at all. You got one postgame boss, and that's it. The Re:Mind DLC came out this year, and it fixes a lot of my beefs with the endgame/postgame, revisting the endgame, expanding and improving it. Additionally, it throws in 14 brand new superbosses ready and waiting to kick your ass. I really enjoyed it. KH3 + Re:Mind feels like a real good complete package and I love it. Vanilla KH3 is a bit more flawed, but still a blast.
  • ZeroRanger - Technically, I started playing this game in 2018, because I got it in 2018, but I really got into it in 2019. It's an arcade shooter game, but it's a bit more than that. It's a love-letter to the genre, and a very clever and unique game in it's own right. It can get quite difficult at times, but 1) it's not a bullet hell, and 2) it encourages the player to keep playing and try to get better and get further with how it lets you restart from the beginning of the latest stage you reached when you get a game over, and how you're adding all of the points you earned before game over-ing to unlock a greater amount of continues you get to use from that point on. Great music, great gameplay, great story, great game in general. Easily one of my top favorites from 2018 and 2019
  • Baba Is You - I love and hate this game. It's very good and I love baba and keke but I am very stupid and I'm no good at these kinds of puzzle games so if I wanna get anywhere now, I'll probably have to look up a guide. It's a good game, but I will admit that it's probably Not For Me.
  • Onimusha: Warlords - Never played this game before, but the switch port that got released at some point, so I picked it up on a sale. This game is basically what if Resident Evil but it's samurai fighting demons in feudal Japan. And it's actually a lot of fun! It's a fun and interesting, very unique game, thanks to the RE fixed camera angles and the much more action-y hack-n-slash combat than RE's resource and ammo management survival horror angle. This is one game I wanna replay sometime.
  • Bloodstained Ritual of the Night - I've played a lot of Metroidvanias in my time, and while I love stuff like Hollow Knight and La Mulana 2 and Metroid, I've been missing this exact style of game that the GBA/DS castlevanias offered. God, have I missed this. This is a sequel to those castlevania games in practically every way. I loved Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, etc, and this is the true successor to those games. I kickstarted this, and it was worth the wait. This game was just an absolute joy to play. Easily one of my favorite games of the year, and I'm looking forward to future content updates.
  • Astral Chain - Platinum Games released one of my favorite animes of last year. I kinda got this Day 1 and then proceeded to just play it almost nonstop that weekend until I beat it. It's wild as hell, and the mechanics for the chained stand gameplay are fun and novel. I kinda want to get back to it and replay it sometime, maybe get 100%. Man it was just rad as hell.
  • River City Girls - This was honestly one of the ones that was a bit of a dud in my eyes. This one has a lot of great stuff going for it! Great characters, great music, great gameplay and spritework by great developers! It's a goofy game about two crazy badass girls trying to rescue their boyfriends, and it's got built in co-op! What's not to love? Well, it can be a bit challenging, which is annoying with some bosses (lookin at you, Abobo!), but that's not quite enough to drag it down. No, what's really a drag is the ending. It turns out that the boyfriends weren't kidnapped, and both Kyoko and Misako are considered to be crazy stalkers by Kunio and Riki, who were just taking a day at the bathhouse. The whole thing (expanded upon via the secret boss/ending) is effectively a meta joke about the state of things in the kunio games that weren't released outside of Japan and what not, and like, I get it, but to me it just kinda sucks. The game is really enjoyable, but honestly, the more I sit on that ending, the more it feels like an absolute drag.
  • Untitled Goose Game - Sometimes you just want to cause problems on purpose. And this was a very fun little game to do so. Interesting puzzle-esque game, trying to complete tasks as this horrible goose that's terrorizing a village. It felt like a very one-and-done game to me, but it was a very enjoyable playthrough, and well worth checking out.
  • Luminous Avenger iX - Hey, it's that Gunvolt spinoff, which is basically a Mega Man Zero clone series made by Inti Creates, the developers of the Mega Man Zero series, as well as Mega Man 9 and 10. Gunvolt 1 and 2 were basically anime megaman but with a kind of weird ability set that's not super straightforward. Luminous Avenger, instead, uses the Copen player character from 2, and focuses all around his much more megaman playstyle, where you're shooting enemies, but also bouncing off of everything with airdashes and airdashing into enemies so you can tag them and hit them for focused damage. It's very satisfying, very fast, and just very fun. It's a pretty short game, but it's all based around doing time attacks/score attacks, and there's also extra challenge stages to unlock after beating the game, with harder versions of the main bosses, as well as a boss rush with a harder version of the final boss. The only really big fault with this game in my eyes is that one of the characters has a badly designed outfit. She's an underage girl, and yet she wears a bit of a skimpy outfit. And it's just a bad design and a bad decision. And the game puts her front and center in the main gameplay menu between stages. It's the sort of thing that makes me go "come onnnn why do you gotta lean in that direction, you really didn't need to actually do this, not everyone is going to look the way here, come onnnn". It's one of those things that isn't a big deal, but it's a bad design decision that sucks all the same, and it bugs the crap out of me.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - I LOVE LUIGI'S MANSION and while I enjoyed Dark of the Moon a bunch, I do honestly believe that this is the true proper sequel to that. It takes what worked with both games and combines it into a giant, multi-floor hotel with a ton of unique environments and bosses, and it's great. Well, mostly great. Some stuff does whiff (the pipeworks boss sucks, and some puzzles aren't super clear sometimes) and it has spider pests that get to me. But those things aren't enough to ruin the overall experience. This is just a fun, spoopy game that I had a blast with. It's easily the best Luigi's Mansion game to date, imo.
  • Pokemon Shield - Ah, to pokemon yet again. Despite all the sound and fury from folks mad about the national dex, the game was not a disaster. It was quite enjoyable! It was not super outstanding, and there's definitely points where I could absolutely see where the devs were like "okay, we absolutely don't have enough time to expand on the spectacle of some events, so these big pokemon causing problems are just over there, off screen. trust us, don't worry about it". It's a fully complete game, but you can definitely see those incomplete bits where it's obvious that they wanted to go a bit further, but due to time or whatever, they just couldn't. I had fun with the game though, and while Team Skull is still the best, Team Yell is still a fantastic group of dinguses. Not super sure if I'll get into any of the future dlc yet though.
  • Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Shovel Knight is finally complete!!!! And King Knight is just an absolute blast to play as. This Wario-ass motherfucker is just a lot of fun and his campaign shows the ultimate extent of how far Yacht Club has come with designing things after all these years of working on the game. It's a great game, through and through. Joustus can seem a bit intimidating and confounding but it's a fun little card game. It feels kinda weird that Shovel Knight is fully complete now after all these years. But the journey of this single game ended triumphantly with the King of Cards campaign.
  • Death Stranding - Let me just quote myself from the Death Stranding topic:
    TBH, as I was getting closer to getting the game, I was basically expecting something more akin to a Final Fantasy 15 situation: a game that's legitimately fun and interesting, but it's also rather flawed in ways that can really get in the way of the game actually being great. Instead of that, the game is actually just genuinely great?

It's a slow-paced, methodical and actually a bit intricate game about the perils of actually hiking through the open world wilderness of a post-apocalyptic America, trying to deliver packages to cities and homes and hook them up to the nationwide internet. It's an online enabled game where you and other players build various structures and place various ladders and ropes, as well as contribute to rebuilding roads and sharing supplies to better support each other for traveling across the open world. It's Hideo Kojima's curated narrative about Norman Reedus going from a brooding loner who doesn't give a shit about anyone or anything other than continuing to live to see the next sunrise, to someone who's willing to help connect everyone again, so that everyone can come together to better survive and try to make something better in this new, post-Death Stranding world.

It's got some flaws. kojima is not subtle as he wants to be in his writing and tends to repeat some points at times to make sure that you get them. Fighting the ghost monsters sometimes feels like a pain as they seem a bit bullet sponge-y. Stealth feels like an actual pain vs human enemies. The whole game is actually pretty self-indulgent at times on Kojima's part, and the actual gameplay is something that not everyone is going to be into.

But having played it from start to finish? It's quite honestly one of my favorite games of 2019. I didn't expect to really enjoy it quite as much as I did, but I'm glad I took the plunge. I really enjoyed this a lot, warts and all.
    Frankly, if I were to name anything as my personal Game of the Year, if it's not ZeroRanger or Bloodstained, it's going to be Death Stranding. It's just that fucking good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 pm

[*]Baba Is You - I love and hate this game. It's very good and I love baba and keke but I am very stupid and I'm no good at these kinds of puzzle games so if I wanna get anywhere now, I'll probably have to look up a guide. It's a good game, but I will admit that it's probably Not For Me.
But Me is in it.