my soul was swallowed by FEH long ago, AMA

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

my soul was swallowed by FEH long ago, AMA

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:06 pm

i don't really play that much anymore. every so often i just come back to check up on new units, skills, etc.

fire emblem is a bad series

bandwagon thread

dead to rights

metal gear

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Re: my soul was swallowed by FEH long ago, AMA

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:16 pm

i heard about this game, it was pretty controversial when they added byleth to it

there were too many swordsman and it was really throwing off the balance of the weapon triangle i think
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:25 pm

yeah

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Thoughts on the new subscription service?
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:44 pm

Quanta wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:52 pm
Thoughts on the new subscription service?
i was actually unaware of this until you mentioned it, as i don't usually keep up with Feh Channels

it is a blatantly stupid idea that gives p2p a distinct and exclusive advantage over f2p

so like, they give you freebies of existing units with special costumes that confer +2 to all stats. there is no way to acquire this bonus without paying, which is a terrible idea and is rightfully going to piss f2p people off. then there's the thing where you can summoner support two additional allies, which means instead of one unit getting a bonus of +5 HP and +2 to all stats, you get three, and this provides another paywalled advantage for arena offense if nothing else

even if we ignore all that on the basis of it being a small advantage in the grand scheme of things, the price tag is completely absurd! it costs more than double a monthly NSO subscription, and six times as much as a yearly one. even assuming they offered a bundled subscription with the same level of generosity, it would come out to $50/year. for a few advantages in an otherwise f2p mobile game. i already have a lot of problems with NSO on principle, but jesus christ

being able to rewind by one turn should be a standard feature. a battle in FEH always plays out the same way when you make the same moves with the same units. on the harder maps where you lose as soon as any of your units die, it's very tedious to keep playing out the battle up to a certain point so you can try one slightly improved branch of action so that you might narrowly avoid being killed by some brick shithouse. over, and over, and over again until you finally win the battle or give up and swap out team members to start the whole process over. heaven forbid you are trying to do a Squad Assault and have to keep playing through four maps to take another swing at the fifth

being able to automatically repeat battles is already a standard feature in many mobile RPGs but for some reason the larger developers don't want to go for it. games like GBF already suffer from not having auto-repeat because they are actually grindy enough to warrant longer-term idle options for people to multitask while they play. on the other hand, FEH can only be grindy during certain events like Forging Bonds and Tempest Trials, so you are not only paying for a bafflingly not-standard feature but one that amounts to a very tiny convenience at that

in conclusion, it's shit

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Do you think this new subscription option and DeNA hemmoraghing money with a $450m writedown in their Q3 earnings might somehow be related?
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:29 pm

how long are ability/weapon descriptions now
Image /// Image /// Image

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Quanta wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 pm
Do you think this new subscription option and DeNA hemmoraghing money with a $450m writedown in their Q3 earnings might somehow be related?
yes, absolutely. they are no doubt looking for ways to keep their older games cranking out profits, and even if it's to the detriment of the games themselves, there is a good chance they will succeed. most people who actually play these mobile games long-term either aren't critical enough of unsavory business practices or don't care because it doesn't personally impact what they get out of the game (guilty as charged)
Perrydotto wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:29 pm
how long are ability/weapon descriptions now
the longest one that comes to mind is New Year Selkie's weapon

but beast units always have inflated weapon descriptions due to the whole At start of turn, if unit is adjacent to only beast or dragon allies or if unit is not adjacent to any ally, unit transforms (otherwise, unit reverts). If unit transforms, ...

otherwise, the general length of skill descriptions isn't much different than it's been since +eff forges have existed

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 am

Fire emblem is a good series actually, just not this 'game'

I used to play this piece of shit too and tbh sub service feels like a more explicit version of what they were already doing. It was already mathematically impossible to reach the top tier of arena without whaling and that's the only place where comparatively higher stats vs other players actually matters

Sorry none of that was a question but 'nothing' is part of anything