General Show Chat - Season 9 appreciation station

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Auxiliatrix

Re: General Show Chat - Season 8 appreciation station

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm
I look at this and all I see are my own regrets. How something so pure and wholesome can reveal itself in this physical form simply confounds me.

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Re: General Show Chat - Pony Hiatus Season

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:48 am

Auxiliatrix wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm
It's okay. It still gets to me too. :cry:

I'm not sure how Season 8 will go emotionally, but if they end up with anything even slightly close to as powerful as that episode, I'd be satisfied.
I regret to inform you all that having watched the above-referenced episode, 7x02, 7x04 and 7x14 this week, I am into this show again. :-I
ImageImageImageImageImage

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: General Show Chat - Pony Hiatus Season

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:11 am

CorvusCaw wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:48 am
I regret to inform you all that having watched the above-referenced episode, 7x02, 7x04 and 7x14 this week, I am into this show again. :-I
All according to plan :scheming:

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/04/ ... qus_thread

Looks like Canada might be doing it's 2 episodes a week thing again. They would pass the US airings on April 29 if their current schedule continues.

Rainbow Crash
Rainbow Racers

Post by Rainbow Crash (?) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:21 pm

:ohrarity: The ponies need to be spread out so they last longer!
:fancyhat:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 am

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm

At a Whinny City panel, Kelly Sheridan just said the brief for Starlight Glimmer described her as "a mix between Jim Jones and Delores Umbridge." That's perfect. :lol:

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:36 am

When does Umbridge get a redemption arc?
Image Image Image Image

Strangething
Eventually that's going to stop working, Twilight.

Post by Strangething (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:00 pm

I just saw a promo spot showing Spike with wings!

Is this new?

EDIT: Spoilers blocked. :dearcelestia:
Last edited by Strangething on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The poster formerly known as Strangepony.
I do nothing but play Warframe and Overwatch now. :-I

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:16 pm

Yeah, that's new.

I don't know if it belongs in the spoiler forum, since it's a promo commercial they're running, and will probably continue to run on Discovery Family.

But you might want to put it behind the /hidden tag.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Octavia wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm
At a Whinny City panel, Kelly Sheridan just said the brief for Starlight Glimmer described her as "a mix between Jim Jones and Delores Umbridge." That's perfect. :lol:
Amazing :-D
PhoolCat wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:36 am
When does Umbridge get a redemption arc?
IN HELL. :gotcha:

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:15 am

“Welcome to Wizard Hell, where you’re banned from using or even mentioning magic and locked in a small room with no contact with the outside world whilst the abusive bigots who should be caring for you slowly starve you to death.”
Image Image Image Image

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 pm

PhoolCat wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:15 am
“Welcome to Wizard Hell, where you’re banned from using or even mentioning magic and locked in a small room with no contact with the outside world whilst the abusive bigots who should be caring for you slowly starve you to death.”
But she's already dead...how could she slowly die a second time? Does she end up in Super Hell or something? :v:

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 am

No, it was a reference to the hell Harry had to endure when not at Hogwarts.
Image Image Image Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 am

Mildly interesting factoid: The first EqG movie was released in theaters five years ago today.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:53 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 am
Mildly interesting factoid: The first EqG movie was released in theaters five years ago today.
It's still good.

Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 am
I'll never forget the look that mother in the theater gave me when I told her that we in fact are all here to see Equestria Girls :allears:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Back the first saturday in august
?
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/06/ ... de-14.html
But...
This one's too young

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:26 am

I hope that holds true. If so, that'd mean the season wouldn't pick back up right in the middle of BronyCon.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Oddly it's episode 15 by production order listed, not 14

then again episode shuffling for no rhyme or reason has happened before

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Actually, the few times they did shuffle episodes around, they usually had a reason for it. "Hearth's Warming Eve" aired out of order so it would air close to Christmas, "Scare Master" was moved so it would air on the day of Halloween, "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" because they didn't have any CMC episodes in the latter half of the season, etc.

Curious to see why this switch happened.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:39 pm

They're both school episodes, so perhaps there's some sort of continuity between the two.

Then again, there was some debate when they switched "Just for Sidekicks" and "Games Ponies Play" about which order would've worked best.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:07 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:39 pm
They're both school episodes, so perhaps there's some sort of continuity between the two.

Then again, there was some debate when they switched "Just for Sidekicks" and "Games Ponies Play" about which order would've worked best.
Yeah, personally I think they aired it with Sidekicks first for the sake of kids who would be confused as to why Spike and the pets somehow were on the train at the end of Games Ponies Play otherwise.

And naturally I think it should have been the other way around because GPP has a great cliffhanger lead in to Sidekicks because you KNOW something goes horribly wrong.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:52 am

Promo for Discovery Family's Summer Surprise tomorrow, where there's a surprise premiere every Friday this month. In this promo, they show silhouettes of Equestria Girls characters and say, "These friends are in for a bumpy ride." That means the next EQG special, Rollercoaster of Friendship (AKA Me, My Selfie, and I) will almost definitely be premiering tomorrow.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:17 pm

In 2 weeks it's Comic Con time again. :smirk:
But...
This one's too young

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:00 pm

SDCC panel is going on right now.

One non-spoilery tidbit was that the student group is being called the "Young 6" internally.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:00 pm

They've been releasing a bunch of 80's themed videos and images. Here's the latest one.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Can't believe they haven't remade FRIENDS' opening yet :v:

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 pm

EQD did a big write up on the writers panel from Bronycon. Some fun stuff in there.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/08/ ... .html#more
Nick Confalone - "Party Pooped"

Original concept --> Pinkie was planning a "Cutie Mark anniversary" party but couldn't think of any ideas, went on a "vision quest" to find a good idea (this was nixed in "story break" stage by MA Larson)
Yaks were supposed to just make real-life yak sounds (Fluttershy would translate)
During her quest, Pinkie escapes from lemurs because they see an old statue of a pony that looks like her and think she's their god (nixed by higher-ups for religious elements)
Alternate: she gets involved in a tribal dance/ritual w/ lemurs involving a cave painting that looks like her --> nixed for potential references to IRL cultures
Pinkie was supposed to meet Cheese Sandwich atop a mountain as a "Party Guru" (couldn't get Weird Al to voice again, so Nick's solution was he'd taken a vow of silence)
PP had a "Cupcake Leaf" companion (a la Wilson from Castaway)
Second draft
13 pages of notes from Hub, Hasbro, and DHX (DHX particularly concerned with first draft, but apparently that was a pattern for them)
In Nick's opinion, corporate notes made the episode complex and unfunny, so he and MA hashed out a new concept entirely that looked a lot more like the final episode (centered around five major important points while cutting out the rest)
All told: 3 months between premise submission and polishing stage
Cut scene Nick wishes had stayed in --> yaks originally got to see a beautiful view of Equestria from Twilight's castle and sadly admitted yaks didn't have any friends and they didn't know why; much more overt emotional core to the story

Amy Keating Rogers - "The Mane Attraction"

Meghan McCarthy (MMC) was short a writer and asked AKR after "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" if she wanted to do the one with Lena Hall in it; she was originally fine with it but then it hit her how "f*cking awesome" it would be to write that episode
MMC wrote original premise --> Coloratura was always based on Lady Gaga
Original stage name --> "Duchess Frivolity"
Original real name --> "Daisy Whimsical"
Original concert name --> "Ponechella" (complete with pony pun band names: "Nine Inch Tails", "The Talking Herds", "Red Hot Filly Peppers", etc.
Attempted to tie in some band names from a GM Berrow book
AJ's original contribution --> offered a job as Duchess' manager, had to wrangle her overbearing entourage together
AKR came up with Coloratura's final name --> multi-paragraph pitch to MMC
AKR wanted a line from AJ involving "Color-a-PURE-a" pun that was later nixed by higher-ups
Original hope from Hasbro was that Neil Patrick Harris would play Svengallop, but that didn't work out
Svengallop's original name --> Pony Baloney
First notes on original premise --> cut out entourage so antagonist focus could be entirely on Rara's manager
Hardest part of writing eps for AKR was always "teasers" / cold opens --> only about three pages in script to work with at most
Original cold open focused on pony pun band names & Granny Smith being way cooler than Applejack in terms of who she'd heard of
MMC had the idea that when she's frazzled, Pinkie's hair turns into an afro --> Hasbro edits pushed them back towards straight-haired Pinkie, then DHX pointed out she's only like that when depressed and suggested it should be an afro...

MA Larson - "Slice of Life"

AKR did original treatment of this episode; MA traded "Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" with her so he could work on this one
Rolled through many potential titles early on: "The Other Mane 6", "Grand Tour of Equestria", "22 Equestrian Shorts", "Princess of Stress", etc.
Idea of using a wedding to frame the episode came from three-way meeting b/w AKR, MMC, and MA
Hub wanted big name VAs (think Jeff Bridges...) but obviously that didn't work out
MA originally wanted to avoid using fan characters (i.e. Lyra was just "Background Pony #3" internally; we had created so much lore for these characters and he didn't want to step on any toes); eventually, though, he took the perspective of writing this as a "fan episode" and just went for "batsh*t insanity" and pandered a lot
Incorporated barest amount of fanon, tried to focus on in-jokes that were present in the show (i.e. Bon-Bon is a secret agent because her voice always changed in every episode)
Lots of things were cut:
Namby Pamby --> Featherweight's older sister, previous editor of Ponyville Free Press (mentioned in passing in that episode); she was initially the only who messed up the invitation dates while criticizing Featherweight for using an "amateur" font
Vinyl Scratch was going to have a voice (MA wanted her vibe to be "Brad Pitt from True Romance") but Hasbro insisted she was silent
Flash Sentry had a scene asking Cranky why he wasn't invited to the wedding; Cranky responded that there was just something he didn't like about him...
Dinky Doo, Truffle Shuffle, and Ponyville kids had a cameo arguing about who was best princess
Two identically designed but color-swapped background ponies were going to meet at the wedding and have an awkward moment together
Lyra was originally kicked out of Octavia's band but reconciled with her at the wedding (big theme of all these disparate characters bonding over the wedding)
(This has been said before, I think) MA's favorite cut gag was Celestia & Luna's royal guards (inc. batponies for Luna) doing mocking impressions of the princesses as an aside scene
Berry Punch was going to provide a cask for the wedding
Episode originally ended on a zoom-out to show a distant swarm of changelings approaching
MA built a 10-page outline complete with Wiki links for all the characters he wanted to include
Coco Pommel had a scene where Golden Harvest ordered a green dress from her instead of Rarity because she had a villain-origin-story stemming from Rarity criticizing the color green in Season 1 (Golden had to dye her mane orange!)
Act 3 started w/ Octavia playing cello alone on stage, with the background fading out into swirling shapes and Sombra appearing with a fiddle ("Devil Went Down to Georgia" reference); her battle would be interrupted by Vinyl's beats waking her up from her dream
MA at one point had to write a "Come to Jesus" email to higher-ups explaining how their edits and cut requests were removing all the fun jokes and references and essentially making this a regular episode, when he wanted it to be crazy and all about the fandom to an extent; Hasbro acquiesced, but still had some things cut anyway
MA "borrowed" the scene of Vinyl's turntable rolling through town collecting characters from a very similar scene in Kick Buttowski (which both he and Nick worked on together)

Panel Q&A

How would MA Larson write Starlight Glimmer becoming an Alicorn? --> He would quit.
Nick's self-admittedly not great at pony puns; AKR and GM Berrow are great at them (Lauren Faust came up with a bunch originally)
Nick was surprised to discover that unlike some other show, FiM scripts generally stayed the same from writing to final episode (few late cuts w/o writer input or VA improvising)
Lebowski ponies were MA's creation
Show started out w/ writers being assigned concepts, then there was a period where they had pitch meetings and came up with their own ideas, and now it's back to mostly being assigned concepts
Spike was originally in "The Cutie Map", but MA cut them out; since he didn't have a cutie mark, he kind of broke the episode
Lauren Faust's original vision for Luna was basically Aubrey Plaza's character from Parks & Rec (i.e. surly, sarcastic teenager); Hasbro notes actually improved the character in the writers' opinion by suggesting she should have a more "mare out of time" feel to her

Press Conference Q&A

MA Larson wanted “Fame & Misfortune” to end with townsponies learning they were being assholes; he wrote the whole script and still likes most of it, just had big issues with how the ending seemed like it damaged the in-universe feel of Ponyville (I.e. didn’t feel like it fit the show or a particular message)

AKR: Diamond Tiara, probably focusing a lot on working to be nice after her last episode in S5, definitely not tied up in AKR’s basement

AKR: Writing for EqG was not terribly different from writing for the show (she only worked on shorts for EqG early on)

Nick: in his mind, EqG is inherently “a little dumb” (these characters work in a fantasy world, but not really in high school); if you take it too seriously, it becomes absurd, so he enjoys taking it as it is and finds working on it really fun in a self-aware way

Is EqG canon? Nick: canon is not whether the audience likes something, it’s what’s narratively true... so everything he writes is canon

Nick: Hasbro hasn’t really stopped him from doing what he wants with EqG (higher ups have actually contributed some great ideas)

For songs, writers always write lyrics first, then they go to Daniel Ingram, who makes music to go with them and adjust lyrics as necessary to fit his tune

AKR and MA Larson both base song lyrics on other tunes that they write new lyrics for (for instance, Dash’s song in “Tanks for the Memories” was based on “Defying Gravity” from Wicked

First version of Rara’s pop song in “The Mane Attraction” was much darker (tone of Rara singing about selling her soul and putting so much work into her career); Hasbro backed her off of that track

MA: writing for the show was carefree at first (no one really cared or paid attention to what he wrote before), but eventually writing for FiM helped toughen him up and self-critique

Show writers often agree with fans when fans criticize parts of episodes; Nick - a lot of times, scenes fans don’t like were really hard to manage behind the scenes and he feels the same looking back at them; AKR - Hasbro actually made a note encouraging her to make Pinkie Pie really forceful towards Fluttershy in “Filli Vanilli”, which a lot of fans didn’t like

Nick once threatened to quit rather than write “No Second Prances” (he pitched & wanted “Maud in Manehattan”), but Josh Haber called his bluff

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 am

I've been to 7 Bronycons and 3 Whinny City cons, and that writer's panel was the single best MLP panel I've ever been to. Nick's presentation was amazing. :-D

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm

https://dlife.disney.co.jp/program/vari ... epony.html

It seems MLP is back on the air in Japan, on one of Disney's satellite channels, at least for reruns.

They also redubbed the opening song, which had been replaced in the earlier broadcasts with different songs.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm
https://dlife.disney.co.jp/program/vari ... epony.html

It seems MLP is back on the air in Japan, on one of Disney's satellite channels, at least for reruns.

They also redubbed the opening song, which had been replaced in the earlier broadcasts with different songs.
Them not using an original song for the opening seems to indicate less money going into this airing. I think it's pretty likely they won't end up dubbing more episodes, and this will just be seasons 1-2 again.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:51 am

Following up on the above, it's airing on normal Disney Channel Japan now. Still just the first two seasons, as far as I can tell, though.

Well this is interesting! Some "official fan art" (Instagram source) by the director of the Equestria Girls franchise, Katrina Hadley (her Twitter). She's the one who drew the art in the ending credits of Rainbow Rocks, if this style looks familiar. This is the first bit of publicly released MLP art from her since then, as far as I can tell.

Here's a comment she left on the Instagram post:
isitlunchyetdrawsLots more where that came from. Maybe one day we’ll be able to share all the extra fan art the crew makes behind the scenes!
Crew members of shows drawing "fan art" isn't unusual. We've seen examples of this when upcoming Disney cartoons were announced and crew members showed their enthusiasm with art, same with the upcoming She-Ra. A famous example is with Steven Universe, where a crew member drew art shipping Lapis and Peridot (I think) and she proceeded to get harassed by fans who didn't like that ship.

I hadn't thought about the fact that the same would be true with MLP and EQG. I really want to see it now.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 pm
MA Larson - "Slice of Life"

AKR did original treatment of this episode; MA traded "Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" with her so he could work on this one

Show writers often agree with fans when fans criticize parts of episodes; Nick - a lot of times, scenes fans don’t like were really hard to manage behind the scenes and he feels the same looking back at them; AKR - Hasbro actually made a note encouraging her to make Pinkie Pie really forceful towards Fluttershy in “Filli Vanilli”, which a lot of fans didn’t like
As someone who has always been a big fan of AKR's work, I find both of these really interesting! The first one intrigues me because I have to wonder if there were differences between the Larson script we got and the original Rogers treatment, while the second one confirms some of the things I've speculated on before about Hasbro's involvement in the show. Plus, it was fascinating reading about "Slice of Life" and "The Mane Attraction" (two episodes I really love) and how those episodes changed over time.

Some of the best episodes of Season 5 getting attention in general is nice to see (though I'd also want to hear Larson talk about "Amending Fences"). :-I

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Eight.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Eight.
Pretty simple and straightforward for Agrol's videos, but cute.

Sharing this video I made.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Time flies. It's soon NYCC so let's see what interesting news is ahead.
But...
This one's too young

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 pm

The holiday special will in fact air on Discovery Family before it comes out on DVD.

two weeks after the S8 finale. basically an episode 27/28.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Can't believe Hasbro is waging war on Halloween like this. :rainbert:

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:56 pm

That looks cute and fun.