General Comic Chat - 75 Issues of FiM and Counting

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Re: General Comic Chat - 75 Issues of FiM and Counting

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 am

The Cutie Mark Crusaders take to the woods to find the mythical Spirit of the Forest in a last-ditch effort to get Filthy Rich to change his scheming ways
But...
This one's too young

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:01 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:57 am
I'm curious, with the series ending this year, have IDW announced what will happen to the comic? Will it continue even after the show ends?
No clue. Well, we do have tweets from Ian Flynn hinting that he's doing something lore-related for MLP.

This could be whatever follows the Spirit of the Forest miniseries, instead of something later. But still, this is all we know about the future of the comics.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 am

Friendship is Magic #77
Much of this issue was pretty good, but it was frustrating once again spending a bunch of time on one group only for them to fall to Cosmos before they even realize she's a thing.

Discord's flashbacks solidify what I assumed last issue: it's being retconned that Discord wasn't actually that bad a thousand years ago, and he was only considered a menace because he took the blame for Cosmos's actions. Again, while I'm not opposed to the idea, I think the story went too far with this and it takes a lot of the meaning out of Fluttershy turning him good and the events of "Twilight's Kingdom" if Discord was always just a nuisance.

Despite that, the visuals during the flashback are great, and I enjoy the framing story of Discord describing this to a mutated (cute, but still mutated) Fluttershy, who then puts her hoof down and tells him to go stop Cosmos.

The sequence of Cadance, Rainbow, Rarity, and Spike talking about eating gems was fun, but again, it's disappointing that this just led to Cosmos taking over Cadance before they realized anything was happening. I did like Cosmos being infected by Zecora's rhyming, though.

The art is as fantastic as always, and there were good scenes, but I'm disappointed by some of the story choices.

Silver Quill's review is more critical, pointing out the repetition from previous parts and the waste of Cadance. He also points out things I missed: Cosmos is a straight up alien that came from the stars, and the ladybugs are stated to be the residents of Canterlot post-transformation. He theorizes that the characters Cosmos took control of will fight back in the final part later this month, but I assume Discord will just find the courage to face Cosmos and then one-shot her, as these things tend to go.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 12:44 am

August 2019 comic solicitations

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #81
Thom Zahler (w & 1:10 RI CVR) • Nicoletta Baldari (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B)

It's Foals and Friends Weekend at the Wonderbolts Academy, but after an accident during practice, Rumble finds himself grounded. Good thing General Dauntless is there with a story or two to tell! Including one about the only earth pony who has ever been a member of the Wonderbolts...

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet Point
  • We head back to the past in this brand-new Pony adventure!
My Little Pony: Feats of Friendship #1 (of 3)
Ian Flynn (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & CVR A) • JustaSuta (CVR B) • Katie O'Neill (1:10 RI CVR)

Come one, come all, to the School of Friendship's very first sporting event-the Feats of Friendship! As Sandbar, Smolder, Gallus, Ocellus, Yona, and Silverstream prepare for the new competition, they realize they're going to need one more pony to round out their team. Enter Swift Foot, a mysterious new exchange student! But will she help strengthen the Young Six's bonds of friendship-or just drive them apart? Jealousy threatens our favorite youngsters in this brand-new miniseries!

Bullet Point
  • Ian Flynn (Sonic the Hedgehog) makes his My Little Pony debut!
That first story looks pretty fun.
I actually haven't read any of Ian Flynn's Sonic stories, but I liked his Mega Man stuff. Nice to see a Student Six miniseries. With a mysterious transfer student Image

Mr. Big
Merry Meows
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am

I guess this goes here. There's a MLP 4-koma manga book.

Just got a copy!
Image Image Image

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 am

The book was good.

About that last chapter: the Japanese media parodies were fine, but it shows a lack of confidence there when Discord said the book needed "authenticity" (the quote marks were his).

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:20 am

It was a nice read however those titles above each page are really distracting for me.
I can barely look away when I turn the page and the puntastic titles were a little bit too spoilery for my taste.

The "Space Pony" stuff was strangely enjoyable.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Mr. Big
Merry Meows
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm

A second volume of the "manga" will be released next year on March.
The Great Cake Bake Festival is tomorrow! All of Ponyville is head over hooves with excitement as they prepare. But then…the big day never arrives. Each new day is still always the day before the festival. In fact, it seems like it’s been the day before the festival for as long as anypony can remember. What could possibly be the reason? A mysterious artifact from ancient Mesoponytamia? Is Discord up to his old tricks? Hopefully, somepony can solve the mystery and set things right!
Pony Groundhog Day :ponder:

So there's some new FiM contents confirmed after the show ends, at least.
Image Image Image

Mr. Big
Merry Meows
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:57 am

I got the copy of the Volume 1 manga today. It's definitely a lot more gag-centric and sillier compared to the IDW comics. Still reading through, but some of the highlights:

1. The first chapter has Pinkie getting lost into alternate dimensions, forcing Twilight and Spike to try to rescue her. They get help from an alternate universe version of Dr. Whooves and Derpy, who makes several more appearances throughout the manga.

2. Pinkie Pie is a horror movie fan in this book, and goes to watch a Pony version of "It" with Princess Celestia, who was a tad bit scared.

3. Celestia sends a claw machine to the moon. :gotcha:

4. A new character named Star Dancer, whom Pinkie thinks actually came from outer space. I won't spoil what happens, but it appears she'll be a big factor

5. The Smooze appears in it as a client for Rarity.

6. The final chapter, where the Mane 6 are Japanese High School girls. Fluttershy is popular with the boys there :fluttershock:

Also, sushi is canon in MLP-verse I guess, because Rarity, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash eat them in the last page.

But yeah, all in all very much a silly book. If you ever wondered what a MLP newspaper strip would have been like, this book is a close approximation. It's pretty cheap to get, so I recommend checking it out if you can.
Image Image Image

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:50 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:57 am
Also, sushi is canon in MLP-verse I guess, because Rarity, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash eat them in the last page.
Fish had been previously established as non-sentient, but this is a bit of a palette expansion from the show, you're right.

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 pm

I just spent over two hours and $130 going through my comics and ordering all the back issues I missed over the last couple years :-I
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:13 pm

If you want some drm-free digital copies of the comics, Humble has a bundle with a whole lot of them going on right now for the next 2 weeks

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/my-l ... 2019-books

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:45 am

MLP: Feats of Friendship #1
Before the previous miniseries even ends, we're starting this one, written by Ian Flynn. Twilight's school is holding a series of friendly competitions and the Student Six are a team of course, but Twilight introduces a transfer student into the group: Swift Foot. Sandbar immediately gets a crush on her, but she starts sowing discord among the rest of the group, leading to a reveal in the last panels.

I thought this was a pretty good issue, especially in how it brings up things the students should rightly be upset about. From the fact that the ponies didn't bother to help the hippogriffs until after the Storm King attacked the ponies, to how no one bothered to learn how to speak Yak after Yona went through the effort of learning Ponish, to how no one brings Smolder gem snacks. Well, some more rightly than others. Still, they all felt like in-character reasons to get upset.

This does all feel reminiscent of Cozy Glow in "What Lies Beneath", but oddly more individualized despite Swift Foot knowing them for less time (as far as we know). Still, Cozy was absent from that episode aside from the start and very end, while Swift Foot will be around the entire time. The fact that the Students are going to start fighting during a competition is reminiscent of Rainbow Rocks, and Swift's actions are like Sunset's in the first EQG but without the outright lies.

It's revealed at the end that Swift Foot is the Storm King's daughter and I'm curious how that would work.

The art was good. Yona especially has more moving parts (her fur and her blanket) depicted than either the comics before or the show. Swift Foot has a cute design. There were some people upset about Sandbar falling for her when the show has shipped him with Yona, but he's a teen colt. And of course, on surface level, that was always a story about just friendship.

Tony Fleecs has drawn for the comics before, but his stuff feels different now. That's almost certainly due to Lauren Perry providing the flat coloring, as noted in Silver Quill's review. I hadn't noticed all the digitally added details in the art, so I don't have the same problem he has.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the other two parts of this series.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 pm

ixnay wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:13 pm
If you want some drm-free digital copies of the comics, Humble has a bundle with a whole lot of them going on right now for the next 2 weeks

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/my-l ... 2019-books
Thanks for the heads-up.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Issue #81 was bad how bland it was and how its art was.

The art makes everything look amateurish that resembles the poor quality MLP magazine comics.
The outlines are very inconsistent and the proportions are warped beyond expectations.
Plot-wise it has some merits but introducing an earth-pony in the history of the Wonderbolts and NOT have Scootaloo replace Rumble in the show is a huge gaffe because Rumble was seriously hurt and the artificial wings put him again in a super high risk.
Also Scootaloo had not much of a reaction to a flightless pony flying, which upsets me very much.
It could have been a great opportunity to have Scootaloo take some action in that regard. She was just a bystander here.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 am

Silver Quill's review points out that the issue straight up uses show vectors at points.

So yeah, not an issue worth checking out.

EDIT: Oh damn, didn't even notice the white space between Rainbow's back legs and between her tail hairs until now.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:02 pm

New Feats of Friendship comic finally came out!

Feats of Friendship #2
Last we left off, Swift Foot revealed to the reader that she's the Storm King's daughter.

Now, the Feats of Friendship itself has started. Swift Foot is surprised her goading hasn't broken the Student Six, so during the games, she continues doing it, and by the end of the issue, it seems like that did the trick. It doesn't help that the Mane Six aren't pulling their punches for the Feats. Two of the three involve big monsters, and one involves a hidden true objective that Gallus figures out but the others don't listen to him.

The big reveal of this issue is that there were actually four different pony tribes at the founding of Equestria on Hearth's Warming. For currently unknown reasons, King Thrace's faction (seemingly also earth ponies) was excluded and he went on to found the island nation of Thrace. This is a pretty classic type of retcon, and I'm sure it will be revealed he was a jerk and that's why he was left out. I'm curious what the connection is to the Storm King. Swift Foot mentions he "didn't need anyone's help to survive the storm", so I assume he was the original Storm King and the one we know took his title.

I thought it was realistic for the Students to get past the issues they had last issue, but for it to guide their actions here. Yona speaks yak despite no one understanding her. Both Smolder and Silverstream push back against Gallus taking charge. Ocellus is upset Silverstream transforming is OK but she needs to get permission so people don't freak out. Sandbar says things are bogus.

The Feats we saw seemed fun. Gathering apples but then an orthos comes barreling in. The teams have to build bridges, but it turns out they each only have enough material if they all work together. Last we see, the teams have to get a chimera into a cage, though oddly we don't see the other teams for this.

Ocellus is shown to be way more OP than she is in the show, if that concerns you.

Overall, this is a transition chapter, but I enjoyed it.

This miniseries is only 3 issues long, which is a shame. And this is the final miniseries as far as we know.

From Silver Quill's review, this page I didn't pay much attention to has tons of details in the background. Every pony in the stands is actually distinct, and included recognizable characters, including Sunset Shimmer.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 am

Feats of Friendship #3 (end)
Thus we reach the end of the miniseries, and it unexpectedly doesn't resolve Swift Foot's storyline, seemingly leaving it for the "season 10" comics coming later. Also I guess I was just mistaken about the Storm King symbol, since they don't mention him at all.

The Student Six fight and Swift Foot realizes she didn't actually want this. We get a flashback, which has a color filter that confused me at first, because only Swift Foot herself serves as a color reference, and I assumed at first that her hair is naturally a different color and she changed her hair when coming to Equestria, but I realized otherwise. Anyway, through the flashback, we see Swift Foot's sisters, who have nice designs.

The king of Thrace, Diomedes, decides for... reasons, that they need to break up the Student Six in order to demonstrate that friendship is weak. He already has a full write-up of them and forged documentation for Swift Foot to use. It's a bit contrived and a bit inexplicable, but it works well enough for MLP's setting I suppose.

Back in the present, we get a really nice sequence of the Students all making up with each other, despite Swift Foot being sure this would be the breaking point. It turns out the others actually had been learning Yakkish, though they still can't speak it well, and everyone apologizes to each other, all without realizing Swift Foot's role in their fight.
ImageImage

They then team up to fight an illusory hydra and easily take it out by working together, though Ocellus does most of the work by turning into a hydra herself. Seriously, Ocellus has been pretty OP this miniseries.

During the award ceremony, Swift Foot is absent. She decides to go back to Thrace, hoping to convince them that friendship is good.

Overall, I thought this was a really good miniseries. It was nice to see more exploration of the conflicts that would naturally come from different species mingling and becoming friends for the first time, and Swift Foot is an interesting character. In retrospect, I'm a bit surprised we never got a "villain is befriended who then has to face their former superiors" character in FiM before; that was actually fairly common back in the first G1 cartoon.

Silver Quill's review mentions the Mares of Thrace of Greek mythology, who Hercules / Heracles had to tame in one of his Labors. They were fierce man-eating horses, which explains why Thrace is anti-friendship here in MLP. Even the names of Swift Foot and her sisters are all references to the Mares of Thrace: Podargos (the swift), Lampon (the shining), Xanthos (the yellow) and Deinos (the terrible). MLP-ified, they are Swift Foot, Shining Light, Blonn Di, and Terri Belle. And of course, the king, Diomedes, is named after the man who owned the Mares of Thrace. Clever. Though Blonn Di and Terri Belle still aren't good names.

He also points out that Swift Foot realizing she was wrong on her own is better than her being rescued by the Student Six and realizing they're good that way, which indeed is a direction they easily could have gone.

Silver Quill is suspicious about whether we'll get a followup, given past plot threads that have been dropped, but I think we'll see Thrace and its mares again.