PL1E3-4: How Applejack Got Her Hat Back/Cute-pocalypse Meow

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

PL1E3-4: How Applejack Got Her Hat Back/Cute-pocalypse Meow

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:48 am

How Applejack Got Her Hat Back
Applejack finds herself in the midst of an identity crisis when her signature hat becomes a city-wide fashion craze; Applejack joins a group of alternative ponies in the hopes finding a new style to replace her old look.

Cute-pocalypse Meow
Pinkie Pie practices for the Royal Jelly Juggernaut; Fluttershy makes an adorable new friend with a dark sense of humor; Fluttershy has to muster all of her cuteness to protect her friends from Bubbles' dark side.
Hey ponygoons, this set of episodes is airing today on Treehouse at 11 AM EDT! Come see Applejack, the pony that Hasbro forgot to introduce to us until a week after the rest.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Re: PONY LIFE 3-4: "How Applejack Got Her Hat Back"/"Cute-pocalypse Meow"

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:19 am

Show has been stupid cute so far, I'm excited.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 am

Aramek wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:19 am
Show has been stupid cute so far, I'm excited.
So much so that there was a cuteness duel today!

I feel like today's episodes went over a whole lot better, like the writers were a lot more comfortable with the format than with last week's. There were actual morals in them, of Rarity using her power of social influence out of consideration for others and of Fluttershy teaching the worthlessness of token displays of friendship, beyond the rapid-fire wacky jokes and bizarre situations. Hopefully the show can keep this up.

I had been expecting only Fluttershy to actually be able to talk to Bubbles, but I suppose it's wackier overall for him to be able to talk in general. Or maybe I'm expecting too much based on her FiM incarnation, and her overall gimmick this time is being cute and changing in size based on how she feels.

One last thing: Hasbro better give us a squishy cube as an accessory in at least one Pony Life toy. :argh:

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:45 am

I enjoyed both of these episodes a lot more than the first set. The pacing felt better and I got a better sense of what this show was trying to do. Aside from the below sequence from the first episode, which I really liked, the second episode was stronger. It was just my type of dumb humor and there were some sweet friendship moments with Rarity and Applejack. The sequence of Applejack changing hats was great, and the alt-ponies with normal human names were fun.

I was surprised to see Pinkie's participation in the Royal Jelly Juggernaut still come up as a side story in both episodes.

Spike is now being played by Tabitha St. Germain rather than Cathy Weseluck, which is really weird. I guess that goes to show they're really cutting down on VAs.

Also there were some really nice pieces of background music between these two episodes. What stands out to me are the gym sequence in the first, the clip below, and Applejack's comeback in the second.

Hasbro is actually going hard on YouTube clips for this... but Twitter is all good!

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:52 pm

I'm still not very convinced of the show.
Episode 3 was fine for the most part. Applejack's hipsterness was not what I've imagined her having. Also those grey hipster ponies with the human names...
Episode 4 had ramped up in weirdness. Fluttershy being mean... A talking domestic cat?
Yeah, she can talk to animals but having the others understand the cat too...
I can accept the size changing power of Fluttershy's as an expression of her emotional state but that talking cat was a bit much.
It was too anthropomorphic.

As for now I think I'm still hanging too much in the FiM head space and try to subconsciously compare Pony Life to FiM.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:02 am

Another two great episodes!

I thought Applehat was the better of the two, I really enjoyed those hat-changing sequences. Cutershy was fun too but I was a bit weirded out by RD fainting over cute things, imho it’s kinda OOC for her to publicly admit to being affected by that.