IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN, PONYGOONS!
Gosh, if you were around last year, you'll remember all the fun we had making, buying, ordering, preparing, receiving, and posting about presents. This year we plan to do it again! In case you're new to the whole "Secret Santa" thing, everyone basically pools their names in and you're all randomly given someone else's name to give a present to. This of course means that since we're a community who mostly interacts from the comfort of our homes, we'd need to exchange addresses in order for Secret Santa to work. I will be that main node to which I collect and distribute addresses to whoever is paired up to you. That said, I'd like to give the usual disclaimer...
If at anytime you have doubts or reservations about this event, you can simply not participate. It is always the safest choice. This site nor I will be responsible for any misgivings you may have that comes from this event.
Also, this year there is no eligibility hurdle! I will remind you, however, that since we're handling addresses and it is a serious thing to abuse info about someone else, punishments will be severe if you do someone wrong. Anyway, the rules remain largely the same as last year, so I'm going to copy-paste what I had and change dates accordingly.
- Failure to comply to any of these can result in a ban! A CHRISTMASY BAN!
- You will be given a randomly selected participant Ponygoon to give gifts to. No asking to trade persons.
- There is a $25 limit. This doesn't include shipping, but keep in mind there are European/International fellas here (relative to the United States) so budget accordingly if you get one. I am not doing separate brackets for countries.
STOLEN FROM SASS:how expensive should the thing I send be?
That's the wrong question. The right question is "How expensive a gift should I expect to receive?" The answer to that question, which I really wish you would ask instead, is "between 0 and 20 25 dollars". You may, of course, send something of any value you want (excepting less than 0 dollars), and amazing things have happened in past years. Don't you want to be amazing?
- HOWEVER! You can volunteer to be randomly given an international person! We would appreciate it! Read further below on where to include the info.
- If you're ordering something to be shipped, you may have it shipped straight to your giftee, but please do this after DECEMBER 1st, 2012 so someone doesn't receive their gift super early and be tempted to open it prematurely. If you're sending something abroad, however, PM/e-mail me about it if you want to send it early because I can allow that because last year we ran into shipping problems with some overseas stuff.
- Gifts must be physical. No promises of a service upon request or any of that.
- No cash. Not only is it not creative, but it's downright dangerous to send because unsupervised mailmen can just pretend it got lost in the sorting warehouse.
- Food is allowed, but please be smart about customs and all that. Ask your local post office or just don't send food.
- Be advised it is up to my discretion if your gift included no effort or is a terribly unfunny joke. Ironic joke gifts are allowed if you really know that person (like through IRC). Please just be sincere for the holidays.
- Art as a gift is allowed, but it better be of some quality and thought. We know whose art is actually present-worthy.
- Of course, send nothing illegal. Even if it's legal in YOUR country and it's not legal at your Santee's country, DON'T SEND IT.
- Keep all presents family friendly. No creepy shit.
- Christmas card recommended to go along with your gift, but not necessary (I will call you a scrooge).
- All participants must post what they got! Not only will it be fun, but it is proof to me that the sender did his/her deed. Please e-mail me if you have plans to be elsewhere from your shipping address on Christmas and you don't get your present before leaving. Even if your Secret Santa sends you your stuff super early, do not post about it until DECEMBER 25th, 2012 (if your time zone is already there, go for it). Opening presents early is fine but post about it after Christmas.
- The present(s) you are sending should obviously reach your person on or before Christmas. There is a one week grace period because Christmas shipping will be crazy and we understand. If I do not hear from you within or before this time, I will be cracking down hard. AT LEAST tell me your situation so I know.
- If you live with anyone else like parents, roommates, significant other, make certain that they know to expect a package with your user name or whatever name you decided to submit to me. Certain delivery services require the receiver to sign for packages, and if you live with someone who might refuse to sign for a package with an unrecognizable name, it's in your best interest to let them know ahead of time. If you are paranoid about giving out your real name and someone you live with turns away the gift intended for you, your Santa is not required to have to try shipping it to you again and waste money on your ineptitude. They may keep your present at no fault.
- At all times you will not spoil who your giftee is. Do not *hint hint wink wink* or try to be cute and clever because you can't hold a secret. Please don't ask others for recommendations for a person. Read the next section regarding this.
- You may only reveal who you are after your giftee posted about what they received. You may also choose to remain anonymous to your person if you so feel like it.
- At all times you are to never post or give out your shipping address unless it's to me through e-mail. Also read the next section regarding this.
- If your Secret Santa is banned before Christmas and you haven't gotten your gift, we'll pair you up with someone else if there is anyone else. If there's no one else, then I'm terribly sorry.
- Very important: For the love of all that is holy please do not get sore if you don't get something you exactly wanted or whatever was listed as #1 on your gift ideas.
- You are never allowed to back out. If you think there's a good chance you'll forget because "I got busy with school" or you think you might not make next month's rent or something, please don't participate.[/list:u]
So let's get started:
- Everything sounds good? Are you cool with this? WELL!
- Begin by sending an e-mail to ponyxmas[at]gmail[dot]com (this is me, Willsun) with your username on this forum and shipping address. If you're up for volunteering to be paired with an international person, let me know in the e-mail.
- Make a post here with 3 recommendations of gifts you want to give your Secret Santa some ideas. Remember the $25ish limit and don't be a crybaby if you don't get something from your recommendations. Do not post your (generous) desire to volunteer to be paired with an international person here for secret's sake.
- If you post a bunch of outrageous recommendations without anything real your Secret Santa can use, I'm just going to exclude you and then ban you for wasting my time.
- Optional information: include your shirt size. There are tons of awesome shirts people want and if you asked for one, then please be a doll and include the info. Remember, you might still not get them anyway! Joke's on you!
- DEADLINE TO PARTICIPATE IS BY NOVEMBER 17th, 2012, 11:59pm PST. I will randomly pair people up and e-mail you who your giftee is ASAP.
- If you are reading this late and still want to participate, go ahead and send me an e-mail anyway and if there's someone else in the same boat as you, I'll pair you guys up. Just remember that there is no guarantee you get to participate. If I let you know that I found someone for you, do not post your recommendations in the thread or else it'll be too obvious to everyone. I'll simply e-mail your Secret Santa your list. I'll also assume you will take international people. If you're not okay with that, then don't join. It's too late.
- Again, we here at Ponygoons are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods involved in this event.[/list:u]
Secret Celestia is watching.