im looking at anime

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Re: im looking at anime

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 pm

more like PEE-CARD owned
ImageImageImageImage

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 pm

I watched another anime and it was all right. good things are happening, good vibes all around
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 pm

what anime Ruffles?

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 am

Adiwan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:04 am
A few moments ago I finished "My Neighbour Totoro".
Everybody seems to love and adore the film.
Either I'm broken or else but this film leaves me indifferent and it bothers me.
It's a decent film to watch as a child.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am

Brand New Animal is the Certified Good Shit™

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:45 am

!saak wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am
Brand New Animal is the Certified Good Shit™
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:11 pm

I've been reading Rent-A-Girlfriend ("Kanojo, Okarishimasu", I'd like to Borrow a Girlfriend, Rental Girlfriend, or whatever it's called) from a fan-translated source, all what's available.
There will be an anime released this Summer based on this manga series.

As far as I've read (134 chapters), I've enjoyed it quite a bit, however it's not unproblematic.
The main protagonist Kazuya broke up with his girlfriend and was so desperate (and had the money) to use the service of a rental service for girlfriends to build himself up. He falls relatively quickly a bit in love with her rental girlfriend Chizuru.
As it is expected both of them live next door, go to the same high-school, and run in all sorts of coincidental problems, as well as him managing to get over his ex.
It gains a lot more traction half way through (chapter 60-ish) when more personal goals are formulated.

To make some of the relationships work you need to take some leaps in logic.
Also there are some male friends of the main protagonists who are extreme pigs. They don't appear a lot but always a huge embarrassment to humanity. It contains from time to time sexy fantasy scenes, nothing explicit, but brief enough to be ignored.

6/10 Mostly likable characters, in some aspects repetitive-ish plots (especially at the beginning), but gains later with deeper personalities and character goals.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:38 pm

I really wanted this to be better

I mean, we're one episode in so there's a chance things'll improve but... if this opener is any indication then it's not gonna be a particularly strong showing.

It starts off with a bland and predictable premise of 'boy working in a trash heap finds a girl with amnesia who has a special power' and just plays it compleeeeeeetely straight.
And there's multiple "haha she thinks he's coming onto her or wants to show his DICK" jokes and isn't that funny.

It doesn't seem to have anything going besides that so it feels decidedly undercooked and trite.

The character designs are fresh at least and the retro-futuristic/audio tech inspired mecha are fun

Bit of a letdown overall tho.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 am

BECK the anime is one of those stories where the idea is much more interesting than the execution.

Based on a manga, the 2004 anime follows teenage Koyuki as he joins the titular band and tries to make it big in the music scene.
He navigates everything from his first love, high school drama, band troubles and... the unexpected story surrounding a legendary guitar with bullet holes.

I fn love animated shows about music: there's something about mixing the two media, about bringing music to life through animation that has so much storytelling potential.

You can show characters' growth through how well they play and watch them improve through every performance. You can see their personality, the things they think about and struggle with become part of the lyrics they write and define the sound of their music.

And when animated you can *see* these personalities made relatable, made 'real', in how they move on stage, how they hold their instruments, the energy they have when playing, etc.

The band can go on to play different shows, which in turn are vehicles for introducing more characters and locales.

Little underground concert halls, recording studios, band posters, bootleg CDs, music stores, amps held together by duct tape, effect pedals, recurring audience members, etc etc.

The keyword here is verisimilitude, or "the appearance of being true or real."

When done well it can really nail a vibe, an aesthetic, a world, an identity that's quintessentially "that show".

BECK's OP is gorgeously boarded and animated and shows the potential of a well-executed adaptation.
But unfortunately it's just that, a promise of a show that just isn't there.

The animation quality is all over the place: characters are frequently off-model and are animated poorly, sometimes with whole frames seemingly missing. Sometimes there's agonizingly long shots of just a building, or the sky, with characters talking over them.

Shots of the band playing get recycled ad nauseam, with entire performances getting copy-pasted across episodes.
A fact made more grating when BECK's entire setlist contains a grand total of just 3 tracks.

The vast majority of the animation doesn't match the music or lyrics at all, mind.

The frustrating thing is that sometimes there are glimpses of fantastic animation, making it seem like there were shenanigans going on behind-the-scenes.
Perhaps there were budgetary concerns, or maybe the production had near impossible deadlines.

And the problems don't stop at the animation.

At times the series is paced glacially. For much of the first 12 episodes it meanders around, moving around from one subplot to the next without real payoff.
There's very little in terms of narrative thrust or any kind of stakes. Things just sort of... happen :pinkieshrug:

The end result is then a show that feels cheap and awkward. A damn shame considering the promise of the material.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 am

I should watch Kids on the Slope

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:48 am

that's a classy cat
ImageImage Image Image

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:26 pm

!saak wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 am
I should watch Kids on the Slope
yes
ImageImageImage Very math.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:03 pm

I've started watching Inu Yasha.
Netflix Germany has only 44 episodes, however with high image quality, Japanese and German audio tracks, and only German subtitles but their quality is a bit splotchy. Almost every episode has some minor typos in the subtitles.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 pm

Well, minor typos are an improvement over the fansubs when it first came out :lol:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:03 pm

ImageImage Image Image

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Translation is difficult. But failing at your own language is a completely different beast.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 am

Adiwan wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:08 pm
Translation is difficult. But failing at your own language is a completely different beast.
The vast majority of famous sub errors aren't produced by native English speakers. The rest are intentional in context (e.g. "I like corm").
ImageImageImage Very math.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:46 am

ImageImage Image Image

Demeh
Limo Learners

Post by Demeh (?) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:36 pm

This season has Love is War: Season 2 so I'll gobble that shit up. First episode was great, so I've got high hopes.

Watched the first three eps of BNA, and I wasn't really into it. I'll try it again later but I'm not too interested in its type of story right now.

Watched the first ep of Yesterday wo Utatte and it seems to handle some relatable more "adult" themes so I'm curious to see what it will bring.

And on a related note, me and my partner have finally watched The Legend of Korra and just binged all of Season 4 today. I really, really digged it.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:21 pm

ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 pm

this is a concept artist on bna, btw
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:27 pm

ImageImage Image Image

Inkie
Princesses of Soul

Post by Inkie (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:48 am

Demeh wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:36 pm
This season has Love is War: Season 2 so I'll gobble that shit up. First episode was great, so I've got high hopes.

Watched the first three eps of BNA, and I wasn't really into it. I'll try it again later but I'm not too interested in its type of story right now.

Watched the first ep of Yesterday wo Utatte and it seems to handle some relatable more "adult" themes so I'm curious to see what it will bring.

And on a related note, me and my partner have finally watched The Legend of Korra and just binged all of Season 4 today. I really, really digged it.
I'd recommend checking out Wave, Listen to Me for something about adult working women dealing with adult things.

Protag looks like this:

and yes she exhudes that exact energy at all times. It's really good.

Inkie
Princesses of Soul

Post by Inkie (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:50 am

I'd also give a big, big warning about Sing Yesterday for Me. Technically a spoiler but it'd probably be bad getting into it without knowing that it's a story about a 20-something grooming a high school aged kid and you're supposed to be happy for them. Ends with the adult getting dumped by his same age girlfriend, so he goes back to his underage backup plan, forcefully kisses her, and since she was sufficiently groomed she cries tears of happiness and they date happily and will probably get married, the end.

it's disgusting

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:31 am

Demeh wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:36 pm

:-D

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 am

Finished this the other day and it's fn dope, and I'll prolly pick up the manga too.

Dorohedoro basically posits: "what if the world was really fd up, brutal and grotesque but friendship saved the day anyway".

The plot is as follows: humans live in the depressing and unforgiving city dimension of Hole. There they have to fend for themselves among the filth, the insects and try and survive the occasional Sorcerer that jumps in from another dimension and does horrifying experiments on them.

There's a lot of victims from these experiments and the anime follows Caiman, whose head has been replaced by that of a lizard following a Sorcerer's attack.
He has no memory of who made him this way or of anything else for that matter, his only real clue is the "man inside of him". He can bring him out by chomping down on someone's head and letting the chompee and the man have a talk.

Together with his friend Nikaido he tries to survive the day-to-day goings on in Hole and figure out the mystery behind his past.

The world is violent, grimey and p awful, yet the characters are (relative to everything) just nice and willing to help one another. There's a ton of attention giving to everyone in the cast, including the "bad guys" and it all serves to characterize them.

It's not all Big Epic Fightscene or Dramatic Character Plot. There's a lot of just "dumb" and off-beat stuff in there that's... Slice-of-Life-y?

They do groceries, work in a hospital, play baseball etc. But since it's all happening in this weird, fd up world where you can get hurt by magic or mutants it gives it all different spin.

Through all this Hole and the Sorcerer's dimension slowly come to life organically as the cast does their thing.

It's... cooky? But never cheesy or insincere. It's not just "oh the world is bad but through FRIENDSHIP EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY", nor does it do the tired "cute but brutally violent" schtick.

It has a specific tone and vibe that's all its own and if you're looking for something radically off-beat yet undeniably fun and lively, this is good shit.

Demeh
Limo Learners

Post by Demeh (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 am

Inkie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:50 am
I'd also give a big, big warning about Sing Yesterday for Me. Technically a spoiler but it'd probably be bad getting into it without knowing that it's a story about a 20-something grooming a high school aged kid and you're supposed to be happy for them. Ends with the adult getting dumped by his same age girlfriend, so he goes back to his underage backup plan, forcefully kisses her, and since she was sufficiently groomed she cries tears of happiness and they date happily and will probably get married, the end.

it's disgusting
oh.

Demeh
Limo Learners

Post by Demeh (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:20 am

well that doesn't sound fun at all

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 pm

my friend thought I was voluntarily watching an isekai and ive never been so insulted in my life

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:17 pm

rip
ImageImage Image Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:09 am

isekai is something that needs to enter VR or something because honestly it's a genre where people want to put themselves in the main character's shoes and you'll only wanna watch ones that would be fun for you with characters that are compatible, isekai won't be over until either every possible scenario is matched with every possible personality type, or they just make a vr game where you can just live out your own isekai life :v:
ImageImageImageImage

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:42 am

p sure Sword Art Online counts as a "VR MMO" anime and is not an isekai technically. "isekai" means "different world" and refers to characters going to a completely different realm.

So something like Spirited Away counts as an isekai.

p sure there's already games based on SAO, so uh... give it a few years lol

there's a couple of isekai I'm actually interested in, but none of them were made during the recent boom in the genre:

Twelve Kingdoms and Escaflowne

Then and Now, Here and There is supposedly also really good but also really depressing

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:45 am

Don't even mention Sword Art Online to me or I will defeat you
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 am

more like sword fart online
ImageImage Image Image

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:22 am

speaking of shitty anime im having another shitty anime evening with beer n shit so this should be good

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 am

rip

watcha watching
ImageImage Image Image

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:06 am

Mars of Destruction, a 20 min OVA that's apparently legendary:

And Kakumeiki Valvrave which is Code Geass levels of badness from what I'm reading

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:42 am

oh boy!
ImageImage Image Image

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:46 pm

DtF is still my uh... bar things need to tunnel under

Mars of Destruction is just a boring n predictable grabbag of things from popular shows strung together on a shoestring budgeit feels like something youd sew on Newgrounds circa 2002

Valvrave is

Uh...

Bad shit so far

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Batshit* I meant