ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:53 am

unfortunately the real reason I wasn't keen on going (no money) fixed itself while I was unaware so I probably could've/should've actually just gone. maybe next Monday then!
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:01 am

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 am
UPDATE: I woke up at 7 am and decided to not get up at 7 am
Understandable.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:29 am

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 am
UPDATE: I woke up at 7 am and decided to not get up at 7 am
mood
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:01 am

honestly it was kind of disgraceful. I must live up to my family name and face full life consequences
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 am

Princess Flufflebutt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:27 pm
It is time for me to do what has to be done by me and face full life consequences
oh man I can't believe I hecked up the quote this bad

i'm going to swear now to showcase how mad angry I am: peck!

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 am

full life consequences is a work of modern art
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am

you're goddamn right it is

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:26 pm

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 am
oh man I can't believe I hecked up the quote this bad

i'm going to swear now to showcase how mad angry I am: peck!
No, your version was right. The other line is "It's a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys [sic]".
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:43 pm

oh

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:43 pm

serves me right for randomly quoting a 1.5 years old post just because I happened to see it when looking for another one in my post history

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:47 pm

load bearing drywall
ImageImage Image Image

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:32 pm

You shouldn't go to the gym anyway, it's p. bad for you.

Research shows that people who regularly work out have a 100% mortality rate.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm

kookwowse wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:32 pm
You shouldn't go to the gym anyway, it's p. bad for you.

Research shows that people who regularly work out have a 100% mortality rate.
similarly, research has proven that you should never ever, under any circumstances, drink water and stay hydrated

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm

i should like actually try exercising again

i want muscles and that's the only way to get them
ImageImage Image Image

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm
I'm sure you could find some on Aliexpress :pinkieshrug:

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 pm

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 am

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm
i should like actually try exercising again

same and same

lets do this
Image /// Image /// Image

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:14 am

I want some mussels :plonk:
ImageImageImageImageImage

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:48 am

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:38 pm
don't believe me? fuck you! and also watch and judge for thyself:

the more I look at this, the more things I see that are wrong. please stand by for an effortpost later this afternoon

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:53 am

stop
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:49 am

There is no stopping this my friend

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:08 am

oh no
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:22 am

There turned out to indeed be a stopping it

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:53 am

OKAY eleventeen billion years later, here goes:

The original Windows 1.0 ad featuring insane salesman Steve Ballmer was a clownshoes ad for a clownshoes OS no wait, sorry, operating environment for MS-DOS version whatever coming years late, after promises of changing the world and giving everyone handjobs were made by Microsoft. It works in that regard, and it is cynically fitting of MS's adopted policy for promoting the incredibly sad end product that was the original Windows. They decided to laugh at themselves, invite themselves to be "in" on the joke that was Windows and all the awards it won for being vaporware etc etc. Ultimately, come launch day, it did make something of a splash, I'm told, but let's be real: it's a clownshoes operating environment. It's terrible, even for the time. It didn't see much success and from that perspective it's no surprise MS went with trotting out notorious clown with no applicable skills in software development Steve "Steve" Ballmer to be the face of the product in the TV ad. It's kind of amusing, but if you think about it too long you'll remember it's actually also a really sad attempt from MS to roll with the punches.

The Win/386 ad is an affront against mankind. Whoever came up with that should be shot. Preferably into the sun. Like, just the music itself is bad enough without the lyrics. The premise is bad enough. It's all bad enough. There is no redeeming factors here but oh boy does it ever set the tone for what's to come!

I can't really say anything about the Windows 3.0 ad. Of course it sucks, but Japanese ads especially from the era always seemed to really lean on the absolute crazy (see: all of Crash Bandicoot adverts in Japan) and although this probably still sucks, ehh I dunno what to say. I wanna be mad angry about advertisements, but this just doesn't do it for me. It'd have to be in English for me to really judge it harshly.

The Win 3.1 ad is pretty much bland, pre-digested, soulless corporate nonsense. Why they even bothered to film it, I don't know. It's nothing. There's just nothing there. I kinda get it - after all, Win 3 was a massive success for the company and that probably inspired some level of protectionism and conservatism in all aspects of the product, especially marketing, which would lead to the mediocre corporate pandering and general vagueness on display here - but it doesn't excuse producing a TV ad that literally nobody will remember ten seconds after it's aired. Unless they saturated the airwaves with it of course. I'll be honest, I'd want to die if I had to watch this tier of ads on repeat. It's not exactly a thrilling 1984 level masterpiece of corporate nonsense and posturing. It's not even 1982 level!

I have no idea why the Win NT4 ad was placed here and not after 95's, but maybe the video maker thought it made more sense to not be chronological since IIRC the adoption rate for NT versions before 4 wasn't great and thus it would've essentially been an upgrade to 3.11 or something? No clue. Anyway, what a boring ad. Yeah it transmits the general idea (look! your OS does things, and looks like our other OS! wow! it's amazing!) but again, it's practically just a Microsoft mission statement, not a compelling advert. Of course NT wasn't meant for regular Joe Q. Public to acquire anyway so it's fair enough to say nobody probably cared about the ads. Demoing and selling the thing to OEMs and companies was far more important, and for that you don't need compelling TV ads.

The Win 95 ads definitely lean hard on the (even today) accepted formula for tech products: quick cuts of the product being used, sometimes really close up so the relevant details really pop (like the Star button), interspersed with people doing things. Sometimes they'll even be using a computer! There's also the mandatory random text about doing stuff. And things. And using our product. Which is all par for the course, really. I'd love to comment on this in new and original ways or make interesting observations but really they're obviously using some typical ad agency who're making typical computer ads. Being fair I guess you could argue they're sort of helping set or define the standard for these types of ads here, but it doesn't really help. Oh yeah and I forgot, the taglines are all Start [thing] because do you get it? Start button! Oh yes we are so clever here

The Windows 98 ad. A masterpiece. A continuation of the clownshoes advertisement/tech executive genre, this time Bill Gates joins in on the fun. See they're not so bad. They're a pair of goofy executives who make silly advertisements for their fun computer product that makes your life easier! Except for all the other side activities Microsoft engaged in and all the antitrust lawsuits, Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish... yeah uuh, oops? Sorry? We're really sorry. At least Gates has started to redeem himself since and Ballmer... well he tried his best but couldn't quite tank Microsoft despite a valiant effort, using all of his nonexistent talent. I'll give him an A for effort and all. Anyway it's a fun enough ad referencing something much funnier, which in turn I guess makes this a literal meme ad. Well then. MS really breaking some new ground right here. They invented memes! Anyway anyway, the problem really lies in the execution. It's a bit lazy in every respect. I like the reference to the other Gates/Ballmer ad series featuring Volkswagen and THE INTERNET where they recycle a Mac (with the changing music) (actually now I'm not sure and I'll bet it'll turn out that ad came after somehow) but after the music changes back Gates's timing is hilariously off and I can't believe they just went "good enough" and didn't do a retake. The other Win 98 ad just sucks and tries so hard to make Windows seem exciting. It's like one of those video game ads from when nobody knew how to make trailers. Weirdly they just show enough restraint to not beat you over the head with "IT'S A MULTIMEDIA OPERATING SYSTEM FOR THE INTERNET AGE" but that's basically all the ad is about. They probably were trying to make you internally connect the ad's fast pace with the super speed of Win 98 but yeah no. No it's just a poorly done ad. Trashcan material. Gates and Ballmer shoulda recycled this ad instead of a perfectly good Mac.

WAIT THERE WAS A THIRD ONE okay the hell is this. I... don't like this. I don't wanna talk about it.

I... I dunno. I think I need a break. More to come later. Next part we'll leap into the exciting Windows XP ad. I have words to say about that one. Many, many words.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:31 pm

PART TWO

So that XP ad. Huh. Hmm.

Yeah.

Umm.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:27 pm

ACTUAL PART TWO

Fuck that XP ad. It's such a sad and desperate attempt at aping the delightfully terrible and not at all amusing Windows 1 ad and it doesn't even manage that! They desperately try to merge actual feature showcase with clownshoes marketing and it just sounds so dishonest and cynical it BLOWS MY MIND

I hear Ballmer saying that in my nightmares, btw

Adding in that other dude who I don't know or recognize or care to read about breaks up the terrible monotonous screaming Ballmer nonsense, but it's just trash. Garbage! They seem to think that this is a valid format for delivering the key selling points/features/improvements over 9x but it just clashes so, so hard with the insane and irreverent style of the ad. Contrast with the Win 1 ad where Ballmer lists features like Reversi as selling points. That's at least vaguely amusing. Here it's like they can't help themselves - they gotta sell that product because people are too stupid to get the parody style of salesman tactics. Also calling XP secure or wireless networking ready is blatant false advertisement. Also note how Ballmer's spiel focuses (yet again) on the MULTIMEDIA OPERATING SYSTEM FOR THE INTERNET AGE thing Microsoft was stuck on for all of the 90s, even when most of the stuff listed probably weren't really used by anyone because Microsoft's services were and are trash. I do like the president of a major corporation insert since it's suitably dumb and a perfect parody of literally every single "look at all these satisfied customers" insert. But then it nosedives again with the nearly word-for-word copy of the price announcement. See, it doesn't work in 2001. Nobody sane was expecting to pay 500 bucks or more for Windows XP. I don't think anyone in the 80s was expecting to pay that much for Windows 1 either, but at least it felt more fitting since it was sort of a different type of software product compared to what Microsoft made before. Here it's just tonally out of place, it doesn't fit. Also the JUST NINETY-NINE DOLLARS for the Home edition, double that if you want all the features, you scum bit just kills any last bit of momentum they might've had. Again, it screws up the pacing and feels tonally wrong. Also no EXCEPT IN NEBRASKA, boo.

I dunno wtf they made a Server 2003 ad for, but sure. It seems realistic to me. Except a real IT guy probably would figure out pretty quickly that nobody cares and either get to the point ("yeah basically this'll save you a bunch of money") or just shut up altogether. Also he wouldn't be making an estimate on how much money is saved with Server 2003. Also nobody would care about him or what he's saying because he's the IT guy and when has any IT guy ever said anything worth listening to? Eh it gets the point across well enough. I dunno if it's smart to make the IT guy look better than the executives though, since it's not the IT guys who're gonna be buying Server 2003. Actually I'm pretty sure nobody will be buying Server 2003 now that I think about it, except arguably the three people who bought XP x64 since technically that's just Server 2003 wearing an XP skin. And some bolted-on features from Home edition. In a way I guess you could say Vista is Server 2003 but come on that's taking it too far.

Speaking of, the Vista ad is such soulless drivel, my God. It's a total throwback to those awful 9x ads that solely exist just for the sake of it. Nobody watches that ad and goes "oh yes Vista looks glorious". Nobody cares. That ad is so forgettable, it takes effort to create. Also like how they showcase all the cool visual features of the new OS that will only work an actually beefy machine for the time and then let OEMs sold repurposed XP era laptops with Vista like a bunch of, umm, Ballmers. Yeah. Also they don't actually show any compelling new features, like what the heck. What was even the point of making this ad when all you can show is mostly visual improvements and the frigging Sidebar. Remember the Sidebar? Yeah me neither. Also some of these things they show off are such blatant lies too. More entertaining? What? Because you revamped the Media Center and put it in the Home Premium version? Oh yeah they made like a bazillion versions of Vista too for some reason. Because fragmenting your userbase is good, I guess? Anyway it actually bugs me how this almost is like a circa 2006 modern remake of that earlier 95 ad. It's just as insipid too. Also why did that tagline happen. "The 'Wow' starts now." Really? That's the best you could come up with. Oh but see, see it makes sense since the OS is called Vista! Haha aren't we clever? Hey where are you going come back

How in the hell they'd get the Office team and the Windows team to share an advert anyway, I don't know

Windows 7's ad feels eerily similar to the Vista ad, except it has terrible patronizing narration to boot. Really I feel like that sums up the Vista -> 7 experience. Basically we sold you the same thing with minor changes and pretended it was a new product, and you dumb idiots actually liked it. Why are they pretending like themes or wallpapers are a new thing again? I digress. They seem to really be hammering on the overall point of "it's simpler!" which seems like Microsoft's motto or something at this point. Never has it ever been true because Windows tends to find new and exciting ways to ruin your day whenever you really need it to work. But that never stopped 'em. Other than again having no substance whatsoever, the ad is largely inoffensive and they probably needed that approach after the PR disaster that was Vista.

That Windows 8 ad. Oh lord. It's such an obvious example of the completely jacked up communication MS was doing around that OS. They're not even trying to sell the product, they're just going "if you keep using XP, bad things will happen! buy our new operating system!". It hurts how stupid it assumes ever Windows user is. The use of visual metaphors for viruses and such is just laughably dumb and given that's literally almost all of the ad, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is not exactly 1984 material. Or even 1982 grade material. 1977, maybe. Also note how the guy hugs his screen. No one anywhere ever has done this. Also note how they just had to show off the new and amazing Start Screen, much better, a massive innovation, the future of computing, Ballmer is a moron, life changing new feature of Windows 8. Never mind the fact it doesn't integrate with the actual OS, the desktop, which you will be using 95% of the time, which basically is just mildly improved Windows 7 with less gradients and translucency effects. Hell we're not even going to show you that for it is the past and fullscreen applications that you can maybe have in 70/30 split view at best are the Future of All Computing™, brought to you exclusively by Microsoft. What were they thinking? And again, just to reiterate, this ad made no attempt at actually selling the product or telling why Windows 8 is better. It even avoids comparing it to Windows 7 because MS knows they'd lose that comparison. It's like the exact opposite of the soulless drivel brand marketing they've been doing so far, in lieu of trying to be "quirky", "unique" and "memorable". Except the execution sucks and the idea is terrible. If you want people to remember your ad, you're gonna have to do better than this trash, Microsoft.

Of course, they had to make another ad. And that one follows the old formula to a T. Hedging your bets, I see. But then I must ask of thee, why oh why did this ad have to be? Because it's not very good. Again. Inoffensive enough, and the EIGHT, EIGHT, EIGHT countdown is a decently original quirk to be sort of memorable. But the visuals are just whatever random stock footage was lying around at the office that day, once again. Occasionally there will be people appearing to come dangerously close to using a computer in this operating system ad. This ad also furthers the obvious issue Microsoft had with Windows 8: the way they communicated it made it really, painfully obvious they only ever designed it to be used with a touchscreen. No effort was made to design the Metro UI in a way that would've made sense for keyboard and mouse users, also known as the vast majority of people running Windows. Oopsie daisy! Of course, as you'd expect, the ad never dares to show us the dirty secret known as the desktop, AKA the place where you'll actually be if you want to use your computer at all. They also really don't sell the Metro apps all that well. Look, you can draw! Wow! It's like a worse iPad! Calling it Windows reimagined is a bold, yet laughable statement coming from the people who decided that creating an unholy hybrid of a tablet and a crappy laptop was actually a good idea from a marketing perspective, and definitely the future of computing. This time we're serious. Well it wasn't and Windows 8 is best left where it belongs: a curious footnote in the long running history of the Micro$haft® Winblows® operating environment for MS-DOS version whatever it was.

And so we find ourselves at the end of our video journey. It was a- wait what

Oh yeah yeah this video isn't as old as I thought. Funny, I thought the video quality predated HD YouTube. Well then, let's continue.

One more ad! Ohhh boy this Windows 10 seems like a real winner. Imagine, these kids won't ever use a desktop computer! Oh, umm, okay, weird flex but okay, aren't you the guys who make Wandows? Oh I get it, you're talking about Siri and stuff, alright. Wait, Windows 10? What does that have to do with anything?

Okay I regret to inform you but apparently Microsoft failed to locate its own head and pull it out of its own ass and so we're still in the phase where we pretend Windows users want touchscreens or voice control. Sorry. Anyway I'm just tired. Another ad that says nothing, tries to sell you images and visions of what could be and actually I bet these kinds of ads are successful in reality and I'm just mad over nothing. Otherwise every other ad wouldn't be like this, right? Right?

Whatever the case may be, I don't know what to say. This is another one of those ads where it's so bland and uninspired, leaning entirely on the narration to even be recognizable as an advertisement for Microsoft's latest operating system, and leaving no impression upon the viewer. So I'd rate it as a failure, no matter what research says. Nobody sane likes this type of inoffensively dull ad.

And so, I have reached the conclusion of my journey. It took me way too long to write this and I look upon it and it's about as interesting as most of these advertisements. So, umm, now you know my pain. Suffer. Have a pecking good day PPPP cos I'm going to bed now

A more human way to do is btw easily the worst tagline ever

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Supergiant games exists in a weird limbo where on some level their games should be my jam, but whenever i get to the actual game it's the opposite.

there's always this "oh that's the actual game. oh." feeling to it
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:40 pm

example, transistor. visually pretty good, it's a mix of some kind of retrofuturistic art deco that seems to exist in cyberspace was totally looking forward to it when i saw it was going to be free on the epic store a while back

actually starting up the game and playing it? i bailed after 15 minutes and never looked back.

pyre i saw someone play and was like "oh that looks neat" and then forgot about it in a day :-I

it's strange
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 pm

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:27 pm
Remember the Sidebar? Yeah me neither.
The "widgets/gadgets" fad of the mid-to-late 2000s was so weird. Like, it's in the same category as netbooks for me, of being this super-short-lived tech fad that everyone thought would be the next big thing and then it died off so fast and so hard that we're left to wonder why we ever thought it was a good idea in the first place. Sure, let's take the desktop, which is supposed to be the empty space that gets covered up by the stuff you're actually doing, and clutter it up with even more things. Things you can't even bring into the foreground if there's a window covering them. Funnily enough, much like with netbooks, it started out on Linux, and at least some versions of Linux still support it because Linux never drops support for anything.

And then there was Apple's implementation of it: Putting them all on their own separate screen so you have to tab back and forth between that and the desktop, and can't have them open and see any of your other apps at the same time. So if you want to use the calculator, you have to tab back and forth between whatever has the numbers you want to calculate on it, and the widget screen, three times instead of just punching them in while glancing over at the other window.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm

i forgot widgets were a thing
ImageImage Image Image

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:54 pm

I used to have the analog clock widget in vista since analog clocks are neat

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Princess Flufflebutt wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:54 pm
I used to have the analog clock widget in vista since analog clocks are neat
I still wear my analog watch on my wrist. I look at it more for time than thru my phone

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Pocket wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 pm
And then there was Apple's implementation of it: Putting them all on their own separate screen so you have to tab back and forth between that and the desktop, and can't have them open and see any of your other apps at the same time. So if you want to use the calculator, you have to tab back and forth between whatever has the numbers you want to calculate on it, and the widget screen, three times instead of just punching them in while glancing over at the other window.
It didn't used to be like that, even! The original version had the widgets as a translucent overlay on the screen and they popped in and out when you hit the button, so it was very easy to have them available or out of the way and you could still mostly see what was going on. I assume Apple changed it since it was easier for them to integrate it into their multiple desktops feature than to maintain it as it was.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:18 pm

I don’t wear a watch, but then I haven’t worn one since I was in 6th grade :-I I just look at the time before I leave and I always end up being about 10/15 minutes early to wherever I have to be and it works out okay

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:52 am

I wear a digital watch
ImageImage Image Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:20 am

I have an Apple Watch. Before I got any kind of a smartwatch, I had worn digital watches since I was 12 years old or so, and I get nervous if for some reason I can't constantly know what time it is.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:22 am

Pocket wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:46 pm
Sure, let's take the desktop, which is supposed to be the empty space that gets covered up by the stuff you're actually doing, and clutter it up with even more things. Things you can't even bring into the foreground if there's a window covering them. Funnily enough, much like with netbooks, it started out on Linux, and at least some versions of Linux still support it because Linux never drops support for anything.
Micorsoft's brilliant solution to this little problem (at least I think it was meant to be judging by the relevant Longhorn builds) was to just make the sidebar visible at all times. Can't ignore the giant block of pixels if they're always on screen! You'll be looking at that analog clock, the picture sideshow and quick launch buttons whether you want to or not (unless you hit the sidebar hide button near where the clock used to be). That said I do have terrible things to say about the people who exclusively use their windowed operating system running everything maximized

I do remember thinking widgets were cool as hell and not just a nuisance that was surprisingly heavy on startup times and also ugly and really useless. The RSS feed reader was useful in theory but actually not really because it was so small. It's kind of similar to live tiles in that sense that they're both attempting to give you "live" information in a place that's only ever visible on screen for seconds at a time for most users. I actually don't mind it in 10 since there's that effect of spotting something interesting in the newsfeed which works even at a glance, but even so it's just dumb and the Start menu should just revert back to how it used to be
Last edited by RIP Syndrome on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:23 am

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:52 am
I wear a digital watch
Same. It's way easier than taking my phone out.
ImageImageImageImageImage

minty

Post by minty (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:09 pm

Time is for squares.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 pm

wow look at you going beyond the fourth dimension
ImageImage Image Image