Could G5 be as big as G4?

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

CastletonSnob

Could G5 be as big as G4?

Post by CastletonSnob (?) » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 pm

Supposedly, G5 will premiere in 2021.

Is there any chance of G5 being as big, or maybe even bigger, than G4, or did Hasbro just catch lightning in a bottle with G4?

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Re: Could G5 be as big as G4?

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:51 am

Lightning in a bottle, most likely.

One of the biggest things G4 had to help it early on was, ironically, the 'End of Creator Driven Media' article that actually enticed people to check the show out.

G5 is not going to get that kind of attention, nor will it have G4's advantage of being a quality show coming after generations of sterotypically girly girl shows meant to hock toys first and be a show...maybe. G5 has to meet G4's bar and that's a high bar to hit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:58 pm

I doubt it. It was one of those rare things this time around and even it was more a fad than massive.

And given it will apparently be 2 years between series? And Hasbro's more evergreen ip mindset? It'll most likely just be a watered down G4 anyways. See Transformers.

BluePony

Post by BluePony (?) » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:42 pm

I doubt it. It was sort of flash in the pan, it just seemed like all the stars aligned for something like this to come into existence like it did.
20% cooler :v:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:41 pm

I'll watch it, and then I'll fix it with fanfics.

Or maybe it'll be good! Kid's shows are allowed to be good now. It's a possibility.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 am

Come to think of it, my question is whether they'll want adult fans this go-round, and if not, how they would filter us out.

The usual method is to actively make things uninteresting to adults. Make the show about numbers and letters and such, like Sesame Street. Or just make it consistently mediocre -- if the show had the writing of the G4 movie with the animation style of Teen Titans Go, I would be utterly unable to give a shit.

Do we know who's working on this?
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:46 am

Ragnar wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 am
Do we know who's working on this?
The only thing the leaks told us is that Boulder Media is animating under the direction of "Rob," which may or may not be Rob Renzetti, and that they were looking to bring in Kevin Munroe "who helped us get Jayson on track" during the MLP movie's production, and who directed the 2007 TMNT movie.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 am

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:46 am
The only thing the leaks told us is that Boulder Media is animating under the direction of "Rob," which may or may not be Rob Renzetti, and that they were looking to bring in Kevin Munroe "who helped us get Jayson on track" during the MLP movie's production, and who directed the 2007 TMNT movie.
"Rob" could be Robert Cullen, who's a creative director at Boulder.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:10 am

Interesting. he directed on Danger Mouse (the new one) and Transformers: Cyberverse. He was also an animation director on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Gumball. And... there was a new LPS? That looks like Pony Life?

He looks like someone with experience, but that still leaves up in the air what sort of tone they're going for with G5.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:23 pm

That LPS revival got one season and came and went pretty quickly. It follows the “two 11 minute episodes per half hour” formula that so many CN shows do, so maybe that’s what G5 will do

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:15 pm

I feel they will be more prepared for G5 then G4. I think they might try to focus more on character development and story instead of a toy commercial because that seems to have better results in selling toys. I'm hoping it will be more structured then anything. I doubt it will be as good unless they bring the passion into it.
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.