Hey the forum thinger is busted! Issues known and found.

There are too many subforums. Please eliminate three.
Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: Hey the forum thinger is busted! Issues known and found.

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:01 am

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:39 am
Yeah what's up with this? Is there any reason I still get redirected to the standard version and have to manually add in the https bit so I don't have to look at the THIS SITE IS UNSAFE warnings. Every other site has long since moved to https exclusively so I'd assume any potential breakage is probably pretty minimal at this point.
Seconding this.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:25 am

I’ve been trying to send PMs but they don’t appear in my Outbox or in my Sent folder. I have no idea if anyone is actually receiving them. Has anybody else noticed this? The folders aren’t full.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:15 am

When you add recipients, do you click the "Add" button immediately below? If you just type the recipient's name in and go straight to the subject and body, then when you click "Submit" you will get bounced back to the compose PM screen with either your recipient confirmed or an error message saying the user you wanted doesn't exist.

In other words, if you click "Submit" and don't see this:
Then it's not being sent.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Madeline wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 pm
Is SSL being forced yet? I still have to manually change the domain to https every time I get logged out and want to log back in.
The forums should now be all secure sockets all the time thanks to the efforts of void and narylis.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:41 am

Big Boss wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:53 pm
The forums should now be all secure sockets all the time thanks to the efforts of void and narylis.
Thanks, kefka, void and narylis :awesomedash:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:25 am

I've been getting a very specific and strange issue these past couple days. After a while the site just stops letting me interact with it. Like, I'll click a link or button and it puts up the spinning progress icon, but after waiting for about as long as you'd expect it to wait before timing out, it just stops. Doesn't 404 or redirect to a blank screen, just... stops trying to load and pretends nothing happened. This is happening on Firefox on two separate computers on two different operating systems, but not on the iPad, so I wonder if something's just refusing to play nice with its tracking protection. I've had it more specifically fail to load the CSS, as well.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:10 am

Are you trying to view specific threads when the site stops working? Maybe there's something someone posted in one of those threads that is problematic for Firefox.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:01 pm

I've done some experimentation, and I can now confirm five things:
  • It's not just this site; The Allspark (when it was still working), The Escapist, and Weasyl all have consistent issues loading new pages or images or videos or stylesheets.
  • Any part of the site may be unworking at any given time, even the homepage. There doesn't appear to be any specific pattern.
  • Edge has no trouble with any of this, so it's definitely something specific to Firefox. I don't have an Android device to try true mobile Firefox on.
  • It's not something specific to the major Firefox update that happened around the time I started experiencing this, the one that redesigned the tab bar. I was finally able to get back into my Windows install after months of troubleshooting, and it hadn't been updated since May, and it was still having trouble with all four sites.
  • Turning Firefox's Advanced Tracking Protection on or off does not appear to have any effect on this.
Good luck figuring any of this out. If I knew a single other person on this planet who actually uses Firefox, I'd ask them if they're having trouble too, but I don't.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:38 am

I use Firefox (currently 88.0.1 and 90.0) on Debian Linux and I haven't experienced any problems recently.
I also have Firefox on all of my Windows installs and had also no problems yet.

Enhanced Tracking Protection is on.
I disabled uBlock (Ad Blocker) as it interfered with some embedded media posts.
I use NoScript but roundstable is allowed.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:56 am

I also use Firefox and haven't had any of the intermittent loading problems you describe.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:36 pm

Update: This appears to have, finally, magically fixed itself. I have a hunch it was something to do with my ISP, because it happened after some lengthy downtime. Hopefully I'll never get a chance to find out.