PYF: Post things that Happened!

Where everybody knows your name. (Safe Spaces and Self-Help)

Moderator: Momo

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Re: PYF: Post things that Happened!

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Whoop! You deserve all the best :awesomedash: Congrats!
Image /// Image /// Image

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Heck yes! :yay:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:09 pm

I finally set up a proper business account at a bank. Got a business debit card with my "company" name and everything.

I feel so...official.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Today has been truly a great day for me. Every store I went to had something I really wanted for an extremely good price, so I ended up with all this:

The train stuff especially is notable because I went to the train store hoping to find some road materials. I didn't succeed in that regard, but I did find that on top of a glass display case was a bunch of older rolling stock and an Engine. The owner saw I was interested in the artillery gun and offered to sell me about half the lot for a very agreeable price. I thought about it and vocally asked what the price would be for the whole lot - he mistook it for a counter offer and accepted immediately, so I got an even BETTER deal than I was expecting! I essentially paid about $4 per item - including the engine which works and is in mint condition, if a bit dusty - and each item is extremely well kept. The worst condition item is them missile carrier but even that in perfectly displayable condition. Two of the "out of box" coaches are actually doubles of two of the in-box ones, but I don't give a damn because I finally have enough passenger cars for a good passenger train! Additionally, the Dining, sleeping, and mail car are not doubled so that's extra nice.

And that artillery cannon? It actually has a GEAR SYSTEM that allows the cannon to raise and lower. No idea if it can negotiate my track but for $4 it's an amazingly well built little toy and I plan on detailing it so if nothing else, I can make it a display piece in a park...along with the missile carrier because Space Race train style stuff is something I've always has interest in.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Erythema

Post by Erythema (?) » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

I am someone who just hates wasting food. I would sooner stuff give it away than see it thrown out. If that's not an option, I get this compulsion to stuff myself and even going beyond my limits for eating.

So, last weekend we had guests and my parents ordered too much food. The day after we ate some of the leftovers but there was still a lot to spare. Since I also happened to be visiting my friend that day, I figured I'd take what's left and give it to them. Imagine how giddy I am to hear they had quite the feast. As for what it was, it was fried rice with small bits of ham, chicken, shrimp, egg and various vegetables with leftover chop suey. I still remember how my one of my friends (they're two siblings) proclaimed that they didn't have to cook the next day. Sounds like that was a good bonus. As for the quantity, it was more than they thought I'd bring along. I'm not sure they even finished it, in fact. Not going to ask either.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I was accepted for a study abroad program that my university will be conducting this summer. In May I'll be spending three weeks in Germany, visiting Munich, Nuremberg, and Berlin as well as other regional landmarks and attractions.

I'm glad I actually took the initiative to apply for this. I've never been overseas and likely wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to travel internationally until I was well into my career. This is easily the sort of thing I could've dismissed, assuming I wouldn't be accepted even if I did apply, but in the end I was!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh wow, good luck! :party:

And maybe you can say hi to Perry and Fontra while you're there. :v:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm

You gave yourself a chance and here you are :yay: So awesome! Would really love to meet you if you are up for it, it would be a blast. :allears:

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 am

So, had a terrifying moment today on my way to work. On a small road a few intersections away from my workplace, some asshole comes barreling out of an intersection (I had right of way) and nearly hits me. Reacting defensively, I swerve to avoid him - and immediately I can feel the right front tire make contact with something on the curb. I hear a loud popping noise and the car suddenly shifts - the fact the air pressure alert goes off underscores that my tire just went flat, as does the odd noise coming from the right side of the car. This is in the middle of rush hour and I'm less than a few hundred meters from work, so I manage to limp the car into the parking lot safely.

I call dad, since I'm not sure what exactly to do - this is the first time I've ever gotten a flat tire. He comes out around lunch time with the idea we'll swap the tire with the spare, then he'll take my car to the tire shop and get a replacement, while I take his car home at the end of the day. We end up needing AAA to come out as the tire is bolted on TIGHT, but the tire is able to be swapped. I came out around that time to exchange keys with dad and was able to snag a photo of the blown tire - it was punctured from the inside edge somehow:

Unfortunately, the tire shop did not have the right kind of tire, so the car is basically out of commission until Tuesday when it comes in. Additionally, because I had to drive on a completely blown out tire for any amount of distance, we don't know if the axle, rim, or alignment have been damaged, which could be costly. Thankfully, now that I have a job, money is not nearly as much as a worry and the car for the most part isn't damaged, but it annoys me so much trouble was caused by some asshole who didn't know how to drive.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 am

This happened a couple weeks ago, but I got to see the Seattle production of Hamilton for free.

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Someone has decided to buy my old chevy avalanche -- so tomorrow I'm doing a trip out of town and maybe trade my kia soul for lightly used 2017 Honda Ridgeline (if all goes well)

:vogue:

SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:51 am

update: got cold feet and did not make the trip — telling myself that if the truck is there next week, then its meant to be and ill buy it

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 am

Back on the job market, same place I was at the beginning of the month but with the stigma of already having lost what would have been a good job within a week. Might end up having to go back to working at Target if I don't get something soon. :fluttersmith:

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 am

I found that Metropolis movie finally (via ebay) and thoroughly enjoyed it. :-D

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:28 pm

On one hand....Goodbye Dash, Goodbye Rarity... you two served me well.
:cry:

On the other hand, Welcome home Rarity 2.0
:vogue:

I still feel sad about giving up my two older vehicles, but Dash is going to a great home. Sadly, no idea how Rarity 1.0 is gonna fare at her new place... so that makes me sad.
:sadrarity:

Edit:
Pondering what kind of decals I should use on it now -- thinking of some Kanmusu decals but outside of Kongou, there are no cool silhouette decals if the girls... well, the other sisters do have cool decals but don't have a matching "Team" decal... First World Problems.
:ohrarity:

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 pm

I've signed a lease. I'm no longer technically homeless.:yay:

Now if I could get the money I need to get my storage unit paid up and get everything out of it into my new home

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Guess who finally got a smartphone? :-I

I figured that, since I'm traveling more and more, having a proper smartphone is a step-up from a flip phone I've been using. Wanted to get one before I leave to Chicago next month.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 pm

I got contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn for a developer position locally.

Here's hoping that this not only works out, but that it doesn't end up being a shitty experience like my previous two "jobs" in this field.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm

Rooting for you to get the position and to find healthier ways to cope with stress, so you don't have to fear your temper being an issue so much. :flutterunsmith:

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm
Rooting for you to get the position and to find healthier ways to cope with stress, so you don't have to fear your temper being an issue so much. :flutterunsmith:
Yeah, I've talked with my therapist and it turns out the anger sort of stems from my condition - I've got ADHD, though the whole "Attention Deficit" thing largely is behind me now - where my brain apparently gets in such a state that trying to rapidly adjust to new work conditions makes it difficult for me to keep calm. I'm starting a new pill this week that's supposed to help with that, so fingers crossed.

And thanks for the well wishing - makes me so happy to be part of this community to know such great people are here. :-D

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 pm

g'luck!

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 pm

So my depression scale is a 1... Hoping the upcoming court goes well... And they'll let my daughter come home

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Just had a phone interview with the recruiter - the potential new job is twice the distance from my house (other side of town really) but at the same time has better roads (a major interstate goes from near my house right up to it vs. the old place which had some incredibly bad intersections and narrow road traffic), is more in line with the technology I know, full time with benefits, and pay will be roughly the same if not potentially slightly higher.

Also, the dress code is 'casual' meaning jeans, which is good - I absolutely HATE dress pants, or really formal wear at all. Fingers crossed that third time is the charm since I've already had two jobs go bust (Atlanta and last month).

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:20 pm

best of luck!

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 pm

So pretty sure I secured a job today. He wants me to start Monday.

There are a couple of downsides. The client I am working for has a 2 month period to decide if they want to continue with the project I will be working on, and if they don't, this place I'll be working for won't have any other work for me and I'll probably be let go. But if they decide to keep going, I'm pretty much guaranteed to stay there as long as I do good work.

The other thing is this company doesn't offer health insurance, so I'll have to shop for what I can afford.

But yeah I go in to sign papers tomorrow. It's over a $10000 per year raise from my last job, so not bad. :yay:

Name: Tammy

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 pm

That's still progress regardless. Congrats, Snow!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Nice! Rooting for you that this pans out well. Make sure to look around properly for health insurance, US health insurance love their hidden costs, especially for specific areas (like hospital stays, mental health, etc) so take your time to look. Best of luck! :yay:

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Just random, but I figured how to make my own avatar, using 2 websites :yay:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:14 am

Few weeks ago a friend, looking for freelance work, inquired me about a client I work for. I gave him information on who to contact.

Sometime later, he later told me that my client was impressed by his portfolio and assigned him a job.

I'm honestly happy that I was able to get someone work. :party:

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Got a call from another recruiter, this time actually setting a date and time for a phone screen next week. If only I had this much luck in getting attention from people in this past month during that ridiculous seven-month drought after the incident in Atlanta...!

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am

Just had the phone screen, job sounds like a perfect fit for somebody trying to get their foot in the door. Better commute than the previous job, too, but the downside is that initially it's a part time position with half the hours of full time. However, I am in a bit of a desperate situation and so I need any kind of experience on the resume. Job also has the potential to become a full time with benefits so there is that as well.

Need to hear back, of course, so I'm still applying everywhere I can.

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Managed to make all bills, and extra. Still behind on storage, gotta try to catch it up so I can just sell the damn rv.

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:39 am

Had a first appointment with a counselor/personal... coach? Kinda person? She seems very nice and resourceful, and she actually sees potential and listens rather than being a human multiple choice form and/or broken record. There was a very good click, and I feel like I can trust her, so... Yay, good help! What a breath of fresh air!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:41 am

That's awesome, I'm really happy for you :yay: Having someone professional to talk to who clicks with you is great.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Been trying to put in time on my Camp Nanowrimo story, barely keeping on the 1,667 word pace right now, and I already got an idea for a completely different story.

This month is going to be a real challenge it seems.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:11 pm

The good news is that I most likely have an in-person interview to be scheduled a week from next Saturday at the same place I interned at three years ago. Potentially for even more money than at the job I got kicked out from last February.

The bad news is that I have no idea of the time yet (I've been told I will be informed next week), but more worryingly I've had no less than SIX people call me from this company trying to get me interested in the same job and none of them seem to be in communication with one another.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 pm

I got some sort of stomach virus during the con while in Chicago, so I wasn't as active as much this week. Although today, I managed to do some drawing, a birthday card for a friend. Not a good drawing, but at least I managed to do something after a week of non-drawing.

Progress, I'll take it!

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm

I have a face-to-face job interview with the same company I interned with back in 2015, as well as a phone interview with the big grocery chain's tech dept. in about 30 minutes, so the job hunt is doing decently at the moment.

But the better news is that because, love it or hate it, I have lost between 20-25 pounds over the past 2.5 months, dropping my waistline enough that I'm able to comfortably fit into the same clothes I wore at that internship three years ago. I haven't been able to wear them for a long time so to be able to do so again is pretty encouraging.

BeautifulShy
Your perfect is your perfect. You don't have to look like anybody else to be beautiful. You can just look like yourself
Stare Masters

Post by BeautifulShy (?) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm

I just passed my High School Equivalency!!

After being at Rio Salado Northern for about 5 months and all that time from 1996 when I dropped out to now I am pleased I was able to finish.

Name- Alexis

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 am

Good job! :party: Proof that it's never too late for that sort of thing.