Splatoon Thread: Finally going paid DLC

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Splatoon Thread: Finally going paid DLC

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Let's start this up again with the news everyone has been waiting for: Octolings.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: Splatoon Thread: Finally going paid DLC

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 am

HI I LOVE THIS GAME AND ALREADY PREORDERED THE EXPANSION PACK :twonk:

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am

Digging the urban decay in comparison to the pristine Inkopolis Square
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:53 am

I instabought the damn thing

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 am

Here's a bunch of details on rank X. The short of it is that, once you make it into X from S+9, it's basically going to be a monthly ladder. The ranked map rotation will be reduced to about eight maps per month and several new guns will also drop at the start of each month instead of one per week. Someone on Reddit translated the whole thing.

Here's one other interesting detail:
This is the rank breakdown of all players who played at least one ranked match in the week ending March 4. If you have made it to S+10 or above, which will become the new rank X, you're in the top 1% of all players.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 am

Japan has a new Splatfest coming up, this one sponsored by Nike. Usually I wouldn't bother commenting on a Japanese Splatfest here, but this one came with some similarly-styled shoes popping up in the SplatNet gear shop:

As of this post there's only 24 minutes left to get both pairs. I snagged both of them, so if they don't appear in the regular shop rotation or on SplatNet again, you might still be able to get them by ordering them off of someone you encounter in-game who's wearing them.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Okay so I tried motion controls again and hoooly shit

how do people actually aim with that shit?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Use the right stick for most of your aiming and the gyro to get it exactly on target. It might help to increase the sensitivity, too, depending on how much you tend to move your arms. I have my motion sensitivity turned up almost to the maximum.

The single-player campaign is a good way to get used to the controls. Even if you're already 1000% fresh, head back there, pick your favorite gun, and run through some levels with motion enabled.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Okay, I'll try that next time I'm not playing with handheld.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

Which weapons do you most commonly use, by the way? Several weapons and some entire weapon classes (particularly most rollers) don't provide much opportunity for you to aim a shot in the first place, so depending on what you normally use, you might not be able to learn too well how much you're staying on target.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Generally I use a splatling or the N'zap

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am

The Heavy Splatling would be good to start with. Its spinup time forces you to make your shots count, but its long range and high bullet speed help make sure your shots hit their mark so long as you're aiming well.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:08 pm

The Splatoon presentation at Game Developers Conference 2018 is up.. It's about 45 minutes long, but I found it well worth it, since it goes into both the early development of Splatoon and the motivations of the developers going forward.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 am

If you ever doubted how popular Splatoon is in Japan, peep this: the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology is partnering with Nintendo for this month's Salmon Run gear and for the next Japanese Splatfest. When you have a governmental agency sponsoring your video game, you know you've made it big.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:07 am

Version 3 patch notes just dropped. It's supposed to go live in-game tonight.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 am

Splatoon 2's first sponsored Splatfest is coming, and boy is it a doozy.

From the way that tweet is written, it looks like it's going to be a Splatfest tournament to pick the best of the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Here's a preview of one of the Octo Expansion levels. Looking at this my first thought was that this feels kind of like Portal, where the puzzle of just getting around is the main challenge.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 06, 2018 12:39 am

I finally got Splatoon. The first one. Because I can’t afford the new one, and I hadn’t played it before. :sheepish: But I was dumping off more old games, and the local indie game store had it used for $20, which seemed like a really good deal, so why not.

I’m not really sure if I prefer gyro or stick aiming. I’ve tried both but I’ve only played like two levels in the single player to make sure the disc worked. Gyro felt faster and a little more accurate, but if I got distracted or stopped sitting perfectly still, the resulting camera jerk made me feel sick. Using the sticks was okay, but slightly slower. I’ll experiment more once I’ve unlocked more weapons.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun May 06, 2018 1:48 am

Yeah, keep experimenting - IIRC in Splatoon 1 I turned gyro off but turned the stick sensitivity up a bit, the GamePad is just so heavy that my hands were shaking a bit too much.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 06, 2018 5:53 am

I had the same problem with the Gamepad. I’ll definitely try adjusting the stick sensitivity the next time I play.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun May 06, 2018 8:34 am

I don't know how much action you'll see in the first game's multiplayer (the impression I got is that, given the Wii U's lackluster sales, nearly the entire community jumped ship as soon as Splatoon 2 dropped). Still, $20 is worth it at least to play the original campaign, especially if you have any of the Inkling Boy/Girl/Squid amiibos to unlock the extra challenge levels.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Yeah, I figured $20 was a cheap way to try out the game, since I couldn’t afford the second one. The campaign is good fun so far.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Mon May 07, 2018 4:18 pm

I finally bought this. I've played a couple of levels and really enjoyed it, though getting used to motion controls is gonna take a while. I should probably tweak their sensitivity, I like them a lot but after aiming for a bit my controller ends up in an awkward position and I'm forced to press Y to reset the camera so I can keep aiming around.

I haven't played online yet but I get the feeling I'm gonna like it a lot :-P

UPDATE: I like it a lot.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 am

Part of the reason I never got into Splatoon before is because people at college kept telling me, “oh, it’s not worth it if you weren’t online day 1, and nobody plays the campaign.” So, maybe I’m biased because I got an ok deal (albeit with a used copy), but... the campaign is really good! It feels like it’s designed to nudge you into learning how to be a better player, and I’m leaning towards finding all the collectible stuff, which I usually don’t do any more.

The same shop had a used Inkling girl amiibo for like $6, so I’m going to see if they still have it and if I can buy it. Really wanna try those extra challenges.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 am

Neither title is worth full price for just the campaign (in the first game, it was literally an afterthought by the developers), but you'd have to be one of those hardcore gamer jerks to ignore it entirely. For players new to shooters they make an excellent training ground and I should hope players of all skill levels would enjoy the characters and lore. And the music as well, since (save for one particular song, which got played again in the final hours of the final Splatfest) the rest of the game didn't use anything from the campaign's soundtrack.
Madeline wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 am
The same shop had a used Inkling girl amiibo for like $6, so I’m going to see if they still have it and if I can buy it. Really wanna try those extra challenges.
The Splatoon 2 versions of those three amiibos will work with the first game, too, if you happen to find them.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Surprise announcement at the end of the Splatoon 2 World Championships: the Octo Expansion pack drops tomorrow. Also, new guns and maps will be added at least through the end of this year, something that was originally supposed to end next month (a year after the game came out).

Additionally, they're making amiibos of the Octolings.

Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:13 pm
Also, new guns and maps will be added at least through the end of this year, something that was originally supposed to end next month (a year after the game came out).
I hope they'll keep adding stuff after december, it's kinda weird that they're gonna drop it shortly after they start charging people for online play.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:52 pm

They'll likely keep coming, perhaps at a slower pace, but still as long as the game keeps getting played (or at least once it's time to start work on a third Splatoon title). I imagine Nintendo didn't initially want to commit to too terribly long of a support period in case the Switch flopped or ARMS ate Splatoon's lunch or something.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:31 pm

80 stages, didn't the main campaign have about 30-40? are these going to be shorter?

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 am

Yes, the Octo Expansion is shorter stages with different gameplay mechanics, so the challenge might be "use this infinite jetpack to navigate this course without touching the ground", for example. Some of them are probably remixes of existing single player stages.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Octo Expansion is out now. Update your game if you haven't already.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:45 pm

The first Rainmaker stage in Octo Expansion gives me serious "oh, my entire team disconnected" vibes :v:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Octo Expansion review: it's really fun, it's inventive, but it can also be hard as nails. There are some challenges here that you probably won't be a fan of (likely the 8-Ball ones). If you're interested in the lore, it confirms a lot of things.

I ascended with about 43/80 test stations complete. I don't know if I'll be able to complete all the rest, but I'll try!

Ascension spoilers:
For an expansion that already felt a lot like Portal, the final phases were even more so. And just wow at MODE: Turf War and everything associated with that.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:25 pm

I just got done 100%ing it. I don't think there's any reward for completing every test with every weapon (for those that give you a choice of weapons), not even the bragging rights of being 1000% fresh if you use every weapon in the entire original campaign. From what I heard, you can get the rewards for each set of tests even if you skip some of them, but the reward for completing all 80 has to be done without skips. Of course, if you just want to be an Octoling in multiplayer, all you have to do is find the four thangs and get out, no matter how many skips you use.

Maybe my only gripe was with the pre-ending bosses, and even then, it's a minor one. They're just the four bosses from the original campaign, scattered through the map and changed in some minor fashion; two of them are just harder, and two of them give you no guns but infinite Inkjet/Baller respectively. It was interesting, but versus how fresh the rest of this expansion pack was, I feel like I would've rather had maybe fewer new bosses before the end or even just four more regular tests. Aside from that, some of the tests were indeed extremely difficult. I loved the challenge, but for those who don't, they're always skippable.

And yeah, the end sequence was wild.
Venusy wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Ascension spoilers:
For an expansion that already felt a lot like Portal, the final phases were even more so. And just wow at MODE: Turf War and everything associated with that.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking of those games this whole time through.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 pm

New Splatfest theme just announced, it's orange juice with pulp vs. orange juice without pulp. I instalocked no-pulp like any sensible person, then realized that this'll be the fifth Splatfest in a row I will have to miss. April's I had to spend out of town in a meeting regarding my trip to Germany, the TMNT series in May I missed due to being in Germany, and now next week I'm going to be out of town due to me visiting my grandmother for my birthday. :shepspike:

Oh well. I wonder what Europe and Japan are going to be getting now or shortly.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Prepared for pulp to lose popularity in a landslide but win the other two

Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 am

Europe gets the same one. And I have to miss it too since I'll be out next weekend :v:
Last edited by Highbrow Dash on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Maybe my only gripe was with the pre-ending bosses, and even then, it's a minor one. They're just the four bosses from the original campaign, scattered through the map and changed in some minor fashion; two of them are just harder, and two of them give you no guns but infinite Inkjet/Baller respectively. It was interesting, but versus how fresh the rest of this expansion pack was, I feel like I would've rather had maybe fewer new bosses before the end or even just four more regular tests.
The only one of these I saw pre-ending was Octo Oven XXL, and I felt it was different enough to warrant the inclusion due to the different feeling to the final phase from having to dodge a lot more things being thrown at you.

Octo Shower was my least favourite boss in the main campaign (at least with some weapons), but being able to unload on it using the Jetpack was nice.

Octo Samurai seemed initially interesting with the Baller, but once you figure out how to position yourself so it's very difficult to get knocked off, it's less so. At least they didn't die in 2 seconds like the original one depending on weapon?

Octostomp's changes are of very limited impact (basically, it has a new fairly easy to dodge attack/counterattack, and it has more places that you need to unclip the armour), and I didn't die during the fight at all.

I think they could have done more interesting remixes for some of the fights (and I mean this musically as well, rather than re-using the original music), but being already developed content, they were cheaper to add in than even a small test chamber would be. :pinkieshrug:
EDIT: I'm now at 78/80, I'm unsure of the best strategy for Dinky Ink Station or Girl Power Station.

EDIT 2: Dinky Ink:
My issue here was that I was going left at the start but trying to do it the way I did it in the other limited ink level; to force the Octarians off the ledge. You need to use stealth, once I got that bit, the rest sort of clicked after a few more attempts.
Girl Power:
Basically, this video with a slight tweak:

I'm bad at not dying, so instead of creating a curling bomb path at start, jump up the left side and grab Splashdown + armour. Beyond that, it's a case of learning the spawn points and making sure there's a clear ink path between the middle spawn point and your preferred spawn point on the edge - once they start using the edge spawners, spawn camp your preferred one, zip to middle and kill that one before it can do any damage, then get the other edge one (who probably is dealing damage by this point, but should not have their special).
And now onto the bonus boss. This is not going to end well. :twonk: