Terrorist Center - Staying Strong Together

Old Mare Yells At Cloud. (News, Events, Philosophy)
Soft Snow

Terrorist Center - Staying Strong Together

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:24 pm

This thread is to report acts of terrorism and share words of encouragement during these hard times.

After the Los Vegas mass shooting I was hoping it would be a while before we got another one, I was dreadfully mistaken.
:fluttersmith:

Another mass shooting by a lone gunman killed 27 people in a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. After a chase into the neighboring county, the suspect was killed by gunfire from police.
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Re: Terrorist Center - Staying Strong Together

Post by Dexanth (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 am

No way to prevent this says only nation where this regularly happens, again

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 am

Dexanth wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 am
Not at least until 2018 2020 2024 Congress stops being bought and sold by the NRA, so I guess it'll be like this until the heat death of the universe.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:35 am

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 am
"This isn't a guns situation... ...This is a mental health problem at the highest level. It's a very, very sad event."

- Donald Trump.

So what about this...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tr ... al-n727221

My argument here isn't that the law could have prevented this. My argument is how does a politician blaming mental illness justify weakening the law in that area?
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:28 am

Our politicians blaming mental illness allows them to avoid actually taking any action on gun ownership. Doubly conveniently for them, matters of mental health then get mired in our healthcare clusterfuck instead of going anywhere.

Meanwhile the bodies are piling up from gun violence and ain't nobody in the government keeping track of it all because to do so would make such relatively unfettered gun ownership actually look bad!

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 am

I think the writers of Bojack had the right idea. Get liberal women to arm themselves such that you either have a badass liberal militia or you force gun controls to happen. It's a no lose situation.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 pm

The sad part is that yeah, the horrible lack of resources and funding for treating mental illness in the US is a serious issue, but you know exactly that's not even remotely what Donald Trump wants to adress.
Image /// Image /// Image

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 pm

17 dead in a Florida high school mass shooting.

WARNING: THE VIDEO IN THE FOLLOWING TWITTER LINK IS DISTURBING

It does not show anyone getting hurt, but the gunman is extremely close and the sounds are terrifying

It's depressing how often this happens in the USA. Gun sales will spike because of this shooting, like they always do, the NRA will profit from it, like they always do, and their lobbyists will do their best to make sure no restrictive gun laws are ever passed, like they always do, and shootings like this will continue to happen, like they always do.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Don't forget that we'll get lots of "prayers" and some platitudes from the right, as well as discussion of mental illness or something. But, y'know, no real action. :shepspike:

After the Sandy Hook shooting I basically lost all hope for any meaningful gun control to ever be enacted. The deaths of a bunch of children didn't change anything then and the deaths of children today won't change anything, either. What will it take? Another civil war?

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 am

Fizzbuzz wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 pm
Don't forget that we'll get lots of "prayers" and some platitudes from the right, as well as discussion of mental illness or something. But, y'know, no real action. :shepspike:
Not to mention that whatever they say about mental illness is pointless at best and actively stupid at worst, and not once will actually improving mental healthcare for those that do need it be a subject.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am

Surely this whole thing was the students' fault!

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:52 am

So how long until ICE's scope gets expanded to arrest people for being "mentally disturbed"?

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am

Fizzbuzz wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:52 am
So how long until ICE's scope gets expanded to arrest people for being "mentally disturbed"?
Well Trump signed a bill revoking an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun, so even if he were deemed "mentally disturbed", he still would've been able to legally purchase it.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am

So the solution here is to stigmatise people with mental illnesses as potential mass shooters?

Just add it to the list I suppose.

Gay people: Potential paedophiles.
Nonwhite people: Potential terrorists & criminals.
People experiencing mental illness: Potential mass shooters.
Atheists: Potentially all of the above.

For your safety please stay in a bubble of straight white Christians only, and avoid anyone who is acting in a way you feel is mentally unfit.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am

In case there are republicans or church leaders watching, that's supposed to be unsettling satire.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am

Let's just ban assault rifles and when people get mad about it, we can send thoughts and prayers their way. I think that would work much better than the current situation.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 pm

So I just saw the video I posted earlier on the news. They bleeped out the swearing, but nothing else was censored. :facehoof:

Really shows where our priorities lie when it comes to protecting children in this country. :unenthused:

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:04 am

I think I've got some perspective on this as a teacher, and I can be a little more forthcoming here than I can in my classroom. Fuck the Second Amendment. Fuck guns. Fuck anybody who has an SLR/AR gun, who wants an SLR/AR. Fuck anyone who talks about freedom when the issue of their metal death tubes comes up. Fuck all the people who change the subject whenever the Australian system is brought up. This is their fault. They're getting kids and teachers killed. All because some esurient, racist slave-humping assholes in the 1700s were paranoid about their breech-loading muskets. Good fucking job, America.

Other than single-shot hunting rifles, there's no fucking reason for civilian white men to ever have guns. The rest of us need guns to be protected from them.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 am

West Filly wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am
So the solution here is to stigmatise people with mental illnesses as potential mass shooters?
No. But at the same time, people with mental illness probably shouldn't possess firearms. Frankly, I would love to be legally barred from it due to depression, because it makes one avenue of self-harm that much harder. Even though I am generally in a good place, I would still love there to be a little something in a database somewhere going 'Oh, hey, she actively admits she still fights depression that sometimes has suicidal ideation, let's not allow her to have a firearm because that massively spikes the odds of successful suicide'.

I like being alive. I want to stay alive. I also know my brain doesn't work right sometimes and don't want to die because in one of those moments I had gun access and shot myself because I got overwhelmed by temporary despair and thought that the only solution.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:37 am

Here's an amazing speech given by a student of Stoneman Douglas

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 am
No. But at the same time, people with mental illness probably shouldn't possess firearms. Frankly, I would love to be legally barred from it due to depression, because it makes one avenue of self-harm that much harder. Even though I am generally in a good place, I would still love there to be a little something in a database somewhere going 'Oh, hey, she actively admits she still fights depression that sometimes has suicidal ideation, let's not allow her to have a firearm because that massively spikes the odds of successful suicide'.

I like being alive. I want to stay alive. I also know my brain doesn't work right sometimes and don't want to die because in one of those moments I had gun access and shot myself because I got overwhelmed by temporary despair and thought that the only solution.
But the people saying "he was disturbed" aren't actually proposing any kind of sensible laws. They're just offloading the burden of responsibility of this incident onto mental illness in order to avoid actually doing anything about it. Rather than suggesting any support for people experiencing mental illness, or any screening for people seeking to purchase a weapon like you're suggesting, it's just "the man was messed up". It's playing to the image of the foaming-at-the-mouth psychotic man that our media associates with mental illness in order to pass this off as a freak incident without addressing any of the systemic issues.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Context: the post dexanth quoted was a reply to donald trump's tweet and not Octavia's post directly above it. I wasn't stating a disagreement with Obama's laws.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Tried to call a local state legislator today to express support for gun control. I couldn't get the word in because the guy at the phone tried to argue back over semantics.

Are the guys who answer phones for representatives even allowed to argue back against constituents like this? This never happened to me before and I'm honestly dumbstruck.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:01 pm

Mr. Big wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:08 pm
Tried to call a local state legislator today to express support for gun control. I couldn't get the word in because the guy at the phone tried to argue back over semantics.

Are the guys who answer phones for representatives even allowed to argue back against constituents like this? This never happened to me before and I'm honestly dumbstruck.
I'm guessing you're not the first person to call in for the same reason and they're getting fed up with the calls, which means the tactic is working! If they're being this unprofessional about it, make sure you vote against them in the next election.

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:18 pm

The legislator in question graduated from my college (years before I enrolled), and is regarded as a total douche-nozzle by the locals who knew him in person. So yeah, even before this I have no desire to support him :-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Yeah, as far as Fontra told me, they're only supposed to listen and take note of your call. If they actually start arguing, that means you struck a nerve and they feel the need to defend themselves. All the more reason to speak out, vote, and all that stuff. Clearly people are fed up, and these politicians are feeling the heat.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Perrydotto wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 pm
Yeah, as far as Fontra told me, they're only supposed to listen and take note of your call. If they actually start arguing, that means you struck a nerve and they feel the need to defend themselves. All the more reason to speak out, vote, and all that stuff. Clearly people are fed up, and these politicians are feeling the heat.
Which isn't going to mean a thing as long as the NRA is lining their pockets and the districts are so gerrymandered that legislative control can't be flipped.

One of my coworkers went home early today because she's been sleeping less than two hours a night after having nightmares over and over about being murdered in her classroom. Nothing is being done for us.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 am

Next you're gonna tell me that arming teachers is an absolutely horrid idea!

In all earnest, I really am sorry that you have absolutely nobody in charge who isn't a total fucknut about this. The sheer brazen denial everyone involved seems to happily engage in in the face of lethal weapons killing their children is appalling on every level.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 pm

CorvusCaw wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:55 pm
Which isn't going to mean a thing as long as the NRA is lining their pockets and the districts are so gerrymandered that legislative control can't be flipped.
The good news is that the NRA themselves likely won't have as much money to throw around now that a lot of companies are cutting ties with them in protest. Not really sure why so many companies were partnered with the NRA in the first place, and it might be worth the media's time to get to the bottom of that because I'm kind of not comfortable with it.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:09 pm

It's a good look right now to cut ties with the NRA. It should have never been a thing in the first place, and I question how many companies are being serious and not just looking for easy PR, but here's hoping.

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 pm

Yeah, I had no idea so many companies had ties with the NRA. That's an aspect of the organization that I never considered.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Like, giving tons of free money to Republican politicians? That makes sense, because they're the ones looking out for rich people's ability to get richer and stay that way. But what's the connection as far as guns go? Is it a straight-up protection racket? Because I wouldn't exactly be surprised if the NRA were running a protection racket.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Someone has been sending mail bombs to prominent Democrats. First George Soros, now Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and "suspicious packages" are being investigated at CNN's New York headquarters and the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Live updates as the story develops.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:37 am

Trump has been encouraging his fans to be violent against his dissenters and they're listening.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 pm

On one hand, so many people send out death threats on social media that it might be hard to tell which ones are dangerous, as sad is that is to say. On the other hand, that people see no problem with sending out death threats and are being radicalized on social media thanks to people like the frigging President of the US is a huge problem.

It’s maddening, especially since you know nothing is really going to change, at least in the short term.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 am

Yet another mass shooting in the USA.

This time it was in Thousand Oaks, which is one town over from where I used to live. 12 people dead, including a police officer.

It's the worst mass shooting in the USA in... 11 days :facehoof:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 pm

Oh geez. I think we used to have a forum member from Christchurch. Hope they're okay.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Ah yes, 8chan. The place THQ Nordic deemed worthy of an official AMA just 2 weeks ago despite it being delisted from Google for hosting child porn.

Sometimes the worst of the worst really just clump together and nobody seems to give a shit about it.