Backing up all the pony! The pony archive

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

King Sombra

Backing up all the pony! The pony archive

Post by King Sombra (?) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:24 am

The impending COPPA changes to Youtube have everyone scared. Some content creators have already pulled their videos down. A group of people are working hard to backup everything on Youtube and other places to make sure content doesn't get lost forever. They could use some financial support if you think this is an important thing to do.

https://new.theponyarchive.com/

There is also the unknown situation with channels where no one controls them anymore. The channel that belonged to MelodicPony is the one I worry about most. What happens to channels where the owner passed away? If no one is there to pick if the channel is kid safe or not. The Pony Archive has the videos and I backed up all the comments on MelodicPony's six videos using a scraper program. Those comments are a memorial to MelodicPony and it would be a shame to lose them because of some dumb Youtube bullshit.

I have been trying to help them find videos to backup. I went through one of the old Something Awful MLP threads for links but most YT links are long dead. I did find one video that wasn't in the archive at least. One thing I liked was seeing everyone's old pony avatars and how many people used to be into MLP. I've been saving the avatars just to keep them from being lost one day.

King Sombra

Re: Backing up all the pony! The pony archive

Post by King Sombra (?) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 am

I went through all 146 pages from that SA MLP thread and saved every avatar, gif, and picture that still exists. Here is a ZIP file of all of all 657 of them.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ztnci8kb1 ... e.zip/file

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:00 am

This thread that we rescued from the old forums may interest you: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=374

Sadly, the archive of the /co/ threads mentioned seems to have vanished, and it looks like MLP Arena locked down their old forums, but it does at least have an archived copy of the old SA threads.

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:03 am

Nice! Thanks I didn't know about that thread. I managed to find three youtube videos not added to the archive yet in the second thread. Nothing too special but we are backing everything pony related.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:20 am

There was a 4chan thread covering similar territory to that old forums thread, which I saved in a Google Doc. I have additional commentary and links in this ResetEra post.

My favorite bit, and old picture from the first toy reveals.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:36 am

If you guys are serious about this I know a bunch of data hoarders that have things like youtube + reddit crawlers and lots of storage space.

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:05 am

If you think you might have lost youtube videos or anything else pony related that can be archived please join their discord server and explain what you have. There is usually someone on who knows whats going on. Their archive is quite extensive already and they have lots of room for anything pony related.

https://discord.gg/dGtwRph

Thanks SigmasonicX for those links. I am going to go through them for videos and check to see if they are backed up yet.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:14 pm

King Sombra wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:24 am
There is also the unknown situation with channels where no one controls them anymore. The channel that belonged to MelodicPony is the one I worry about most. What happens to channels where the owner passed away? If no one is there to pick if the channel is kid safe or not. The Pony Archive has the videos and I backed up all the comments on MelodicPony's six videos using a scraper program. Those comments are a memorial to MelodicPony and it would be a shame to lose them because of some dumb Youtube bullshit.
From what I understand, the worst YouTube is planning to do is demonetize content it flags as being for kids. (It would be pretty fucking stupid, even by their standards, to declare that everything that might be kid-friendly must be straight-up purged.) Even the people who are panicking about this and threatening to delete their own channels are doing so because YouTube is actively spreading lies about how the FTC is going to personally fine everyone the Algorithm thinks is posting kids' videos. And obviously if the creators have disappeared, those are the channels that are the least likely to be going anywhere.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Yeah your probably right, but I backed up the comments just in case. Better safe then sorry! Several channels have privited/unlisted or out right deleted their videos already. Like https://www.youtube.com/user/DivinumX/videos , luckily the archive got his videos already. Don't know if these people will come back when nothing happens next year.
Last edited by King Sombra on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:46 am

Squeaky_Belle asked me this but I couldn't help. Does anyone know anything about this mystery game?
Squeaky_Belle wrote:@King Sombra if you find any active members from NeoGAF who knows where they're at these days please do tell. Some of them were developing an early pony game that never got released because of Fighting is Magic
:smirk:

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:01 am

Maybe referring to that point and click Ace Attorney Investigations style game, My Little Investigations? The website is still up. There's also PonyKart. I can't think of anything particularly tied to NeoGAF, though.

I'm in a Discord with several former PonyGAF members, so if you have more information, I could help.

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:29 pm

I got more info about what Squeaky Belle was looking for. It was a game called "Cutie Mark Crusade: A Dash of Adventure" made by a team called Manestreamgames and someone named Bufbaf might of been working on it? Here is a Youtube channel with videos of it still. https://www.youtube.com/user/Manestreamgames/ , This is all for archival purposes. Is it possible to get an invite for that discord for Squeaky? I can pass it along to them.

Also I went through part of the NeoGAF thread and uploaded some pics from there to derpibooru. Mostly of Belle Eve and Pandaman. I have 300 more pages to go through. Although one of the archivers says he will have a bot download the images from it. Would be a lot faster.

Here are the few I got so far:

This is the "vulgar" one:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:34 pm

I remember Cutie Mark Crusade, there was only a demo of it released, but their site is down.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:45 pm

There is an archive of the site that has some working downloads still although the exe files seem awfully small for a game demo. I haven't tried to run them. There appeared to be more work done to the game then the last archived demo has. That is what the archivists hope to find.

https://archive.vn/m3Tkp

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Sure, I can give you an invite. I'll PM you.
I asked on Discord and the people who worked on Cutie Mark Crusade: A Dash of Adventure are Myke Greywolf, (EDIT) Orcastar, and Bufbaf.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Just make sure Friendship is Witchcraft is saved. Also Totally Legit Recap. The Mentally Advanced series/Rainbow Dash Presents maybe? I still have issues with its take on Scootaloo. But Tubby Wubby Waifu and Pinkie is Hooked on a Feeling are glorious musical treasures.

The .mov series can probably be sent to the ether outside of Fluttershy's Shed Song.

Destroy all of Pony Thread Simulator because I can just read the news if I want to wish for the destruction of humanity and to have the Earth taken over by Penguins who replace us.