Quarantine philosophy thread!

Old Mare Yells At Cloud. (News, Events, Philosophy)
EvilMorty

Quarantine philosophy thread!

Post by EvilMorty (?) » Fri May 29, 2020 6:45 pm

Let's talk the meaning of life and other things about the quarantine! How has your life changed? What is your funniest story? Saddest?
:-I :-I :-I :-I :-I :-I :-I
Hi, I made a new character here: Frost Shard (you could do me a favor by checking her out)

The Many Lives of a Dead Moth (my fanfic)

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: Quarantine philosophy thread!

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 pm

I've realized that I can spend a lot of time indoors, but also i can't stand being stuck with other people.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 pm

I've come to appreciate the conditions Americans were forced to put up with during World War II. Entire industries were effectively commandeered by the government, so many men were drafted that a previously unemployed underclass (housewives) had to take over at their jobs, and even food was rationed, all so the nation could fight a remote enemy as effectively as possible. An enemy that, at the time, not all Americans believed was that big of a threat.

That's what decisive leadership looks like. That's the kind of leadership a nation needs during a crisis and all of the time.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat May 30, 2020 6:04 am

The Good:
  • Despite being stuck with my partner 24/7, which would normally cause tension for most couples, I feel like our relationship has only gotten stronger.
  • Our cat LOVES that we're home all the time now and has gotten even more affectionate.
  • I've always done all the cooking for us, so it's actually been great to challenge myself with new recipes based on whatever is available at the store, since the selection is a lot more inconsistent than it usually is and we go less frequently, requiring us to buy less perishable products. There are SO MANY things you can make with potatoes.
  • My partner has been baking a lot of new stuff, which I'm always happy to eat. His best new creation so far has been choux au craquelin, which are fancy cream puffs filled with vanilla pastry cream, topped with a crispy crust, and dipped in dark chocolate.
The Bad:
  • Shortly before shelter-in-place, my father was diagnosed with ALS. The pandemic forced me to cancel my trip to see him for the first time since the diagnosis. It's so incredibly frustrating because every day my dad's condition is deteriorating and I'm missing out on the short amount of time I have left with him while he's still in relatively good shape.
  • My hockey season was canceled and I can't play anymore. Hockey is the only form of exercise that I truly enjoy, so being stuck on the stationary bike at home pales in comparison and it's also not as effective at keeping my weight down.
  • Finances are a lot tighter than usual. My partner had to take a pay cut since his company's revenue stream was cut almost completely. For me, royalties have dropped by over 50% since so many businesses that play music have stopped operating. Work on other projects was extremely slow at first, since production on TV shows has almost completely halted, but lately it's finally starting to pick up again.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am

I was sick with the flu in Feb-Mar, so I had already been quarantining before it became mandatory for everyone. The transition was easy to make.

Our office transitioned everyone into working from home, and at first I was a little uneasy about it but I quickly learned the benefits. When there's not much to do, I can take a walk or do laundry or play a video game or meditate, whereas at the office I can only sit in my chair and try to look busy. And when I *do* want to work from the office (it's a short drive & I am an "essential employee"), I can do that. Few people are there and I have the place to myself.

Health issues trigger my anxiety very sharply, and I've had more than one bad moment in the last 3 months, but it's also forced me to look after myself better. I've given up soda and cut down on carbs; not sure how many pounds I've lost but it's at least 3 belt holes' worth. Dealing with anxiety has also caused me to develop new meditation techniques that work really well for me.

In short, I've been flourishing during the quarantine and, if anything, am a little nervous to see it end. I don't want my life to go back to how I was living it before.

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Sat May 30, 2020 11:30 am

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 pm
I've realized that I can spend a lot of time indoors, but also i can't stand being stuck with other people.
Same :hishovel:

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun May 31, 2020 10:13 am

Almost nothing has changed for me, which is kind of a sobering thing in its own right. Lives which I've found it difficult to imagine living are now finding great difficulty in having to live more like I do. It just feels weird.

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Sun May 31, 2020 1:16 pm

What sucks most for me is that being able to go to restaurants. I usually try to limit my meals to just once per day because I don't want to be in the bathroom all the time, so I sometimes went out for lunch. It also got me out of my apartment to socialize.

With the restaurants closed, most of the week I am stuck in my apartment, and the only socializing I can do is with everyone on Discord. It's a little better now that Saturdays I'm working at the package store again (with masks and sanitizer of couse), but it still sucks that most of the week I just sit at my computer to work or play games. The days seem to be merging together.

Oh, and I also can't make an appointment with my doctor to talk about seeing a therapist and endocrinologist, so my plans to start HRT before the end of the year is still up in the air. :cry:

Name: Tammy

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:30 pm

All my plans were ruined and I don’t have the means or ability to repair them. I don’t plan on living much longer tbh. I’m so tired of everything.

Sage

Post by Sage (?) » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:02 pm

For me, I started therapy last september and we were making all these plans for me to go out and socialize with other people, go to local events and mingle with people who have similar interests. There was even going to be an event at the local comic book shop where a seasoned DM comes in to help people with how to DM their own games and I was pretty excited about that but the day before the event, everything was closed, which really sucked. Lately, I've been having a hard time with maintaining a positive attitude, I haven't been in contact with a therapist in a while since I only had a set amount of sessions with them. Why would the system make a limited amount of sessions? This is mental health afterall, why not extend the time you're seeing a therapist??????? Before I finished the last session with him, we were talking on the phone and to me that doesn't feel the same as actually going in to talk with him at his office.

I was doing loads better last year at this time than I am doing now and I hate it.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:52 am

I guess the overriding question I keep asking myself in the midst of all this is "How did it get so bad?" Image
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Erythema

Post by Erythema (?) » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:45 pm

The thought that continues to plague me is that the COVID-19 outbreak might have been quelled by this point had appropriate corrective measures been taken from he start. It was not enough that easy travel over long distances could help the virus spread - complete idiocy in the population made it all worse. :-/

What is truly unfortunate is that the virus does not discriminate between who was culpable in its spread and who made their best efforts.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:07 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am
I was sick with the flu in Feb-Mar, so I had already been quarantining before it became mandatory for everyone. The transition was easy to make.

Our office transitioned everyone into working from home, and at first I was a little uneasy about it but I quickly learned the benefits. When there's not much to do, I can take a walk or do laundry or play a video game or meditate, whereas at the office I can only sit in my chair and try to look busy. And when I *do* want to work from the office (it's a short drive & I am an "essential employee"), I can do that. Few people are there and I have the place to myself.

Health issues trigger my anxiety very sharply, and I've had more than one bad moment in the last 3 months, but it's also forced me to look after myself better. I've given up soda and cut down on carbs; not sure how many pounds I've lost but it's at least 3 belt holes' worth. Dealing with anxiety has also caused me to develop new meditation techniques that work really well for me.

In short, I've been flourishing during the quarantine and, if anything, am a little nervous to see it end. I don't want my life to go back to how I was living it before.
Update 7 months later: I’ve kept the weight off (40 pounds at last count), am physically fine, and can’t fucking wait for this to all be over. I may have been upbeat in the early months, especially with summer rolling in, but that is long over at this point. Pandemic + cold weather + short days has not been easy for my mood.

But I’m getting through it day by day. More than ever, I’d really like to get to the other side of this without me or my loved ones getting sick.