PL1E9-10: The Fast and Furriest/Disappearing Act/Badge of Shame/Discord's Peak

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

PL1E9-10: The Fast and Furriest/Disappearing Act/Badge of Shame/Discord's Peak

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:39 am

The Fast and Furriest
Feeling competitive, the ponies build derby cars and enter their pets in a thrilling race.

Disappearing Act
Rarity performs a fabulous new magic act, but her disappearing spell works a little too well.

Badge of Shame
Twilight Sparkle attempts to earn her Trail Trotters Engineering Badge by facing a foe unlike any other, a list of incomprehensible instructions.

Discord's Peak
Fluttershy encourages Discord to join her Trail Trotters troop, but her chaotic friend insists on going solo.
It's that time again, y'all! Or rather, 11 AM EDT will be that time again. No synopses for today's episodes, but you may be able to glean some details from two videos that Hasbro posted on YouTube earlier this week. (They almost certainly contain details on future episodes, too.)

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: PONY LIFE 9-10: The Fast and Furriest/Disappearing Act/The Master of Instructions/Discord's Peak

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:43 am

Kind of related to what I was saying last week, I have come to appreciate how Pony Life has let us see a side of the characters that only barely ever came out in FiM. Twilight Sparkle's perfectionism manifesting as a bold streak of hypercompetitiveness was there, for instance, but outside of A Trivial Pursuit we barely got to see it. Pony Life's take on her is a refreshing one, though I don't remember her having nearly as much of an appetite as she seems to have here. :-I The same goes for Fluttershy; to me it always seemed stated in FiM that she genuinely liked Discord's sense of humor, but in Pony Life she feels more like someone who truly shares his interest.

Discord was played by Peter New, who I think did a great job. Michelle Creber, Maddie Peters, and Claire Corlett reprised their roles from FiM, though (for what little they got to speak today) I got the feeling they sounded more like the adult versions of the CMC we saw at the very end of that show. Maybe that's just me assuming based on how similar they look to grown-ups in Pony Life's style. :pinkieshrug:

SigmasonicX

Re: PONY LIFE 9-10: The Fast and Furriest/Disappearing Act/Badge of Shame/Discord's Peak

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:06 am

It's kind of surreal actually seeing the pets do stuff again, lol. Though Angel looking nice and cuddly and seemingly not being a jerk anymore is really weird.

Speaking of weird, Rainbow and Twilight having a rivalry. I don't think it really made sense enough that I'd consider it a consistent relationship between them, but it was interesting. We also got Applejack as a narrator a lot this set of episodes.

Rarity acted a lot more like Trixie than herself in the second story of the first episode, though she amused me. It was also kind of nice to just have the CMC act as a single unit ala FiM season one. Regarding their voices, they did sound older; I imagine it's because they saw a new show as an opportunity to use voices closer to their natural voices.

Something about "Badge of Shame" just felt nice.

"Discord's Peak" was interesting for seeing Discord in Pony Life, and Fluttershy's relationship with him. Covering the second first, wow, they're really pushing Fluttercord, huh? She has hearts when talking to him, and she makes a volcano erupt to make the hike more exciting for him. I know some people are uncomfortable with Fluttercord, but as this is an AU, you could headcanon a different backstory for him. He's no longer voiced by John De Lancie, but rather Peter New. Voice feels a bit off, of course, but it isn't bad. Discord also comes off as less of a jerk. Oddly enough, he's also far less random.

I enjoyed the second episode more than the first, though I liked the first fine.

This is the first set of episodes to have male writers, and they haven't written for pony before, it seems. Dave Horwitz most recently wrote for Rick and Morty, and Greg Levine worked on Parks and Rec.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: PONY LIFE 9-10: The Fast and Furriest/Disappearing Act/Badge of Shame/Discord's Peak

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Kinda surreal that a Rick & Morty writer is involved in "Pony", although we had former South Park writer Dave Polsky in FiM.

Fluttershy's personality in Pony Life really is something, like they're aiming to make her MORE chaotic than Discord is. I thought Peter New did a good job with his voice.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:02 am

Let's endanger animals for rivalry!
Let's experiment with substances on friends for vanity!
Let's obsess over a poor instruction manual and build somehow an organ combined with a baking oven with gears!
Let's endanger all Ponyville with a pun-tastic volcano and a giant cupcake just for ... I DON'T KNOW OR COMPREHEND.
The last one was structurally awful.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:19 am

Adiwan wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:02 am
Let's endanger animals for rivalry!
When you put it in those words, I realize that's not exactly off-brand for Rainbow Dash. :v:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:42 am

I was more surprised by Twilight for indulging in this competition.
Sure she puts her knowledge to the test in building the car but it does feel very much against the character I have in mind.
In "A Trivial Pursuit" there was a similar thing but it was less prone to kill anyone.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:42 am
I was more surprised by Twilight for indulging in this competition.
Sure she puts her knowledge to the test in building the car but it does feel very much against the character I have in mind.
In "A Trivial Pursuit" there was a similar thing but it was less prone to kill anyone.
Really, it's best not to consider the FIM version of the character for this show.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:43 pm

It's hard for me to forget it when there is so much from FiM, like Pinkie Pie mentioning that she took over Sugarcube Corner and such.
It's a continuation but also not.