PL1E11-12: A Camping We Will Go/Campfire Stories/Friendship Gems/Dol-FIN-ale

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

PL1E11-12: A Camping We Will Go/Campfire Stories/Friendship Gems/Dol-FIN-ale

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53 am

A Camping We Will Go
When the Mane 6 go on a Trail Trotters camping trip, Rarity has trouble leaving behind the comforts of modern life.

Campfire Stories
Separated from their technology, the ponies entertain themselves by telling some good old-fashioned campfire stories.

Friendship Gems
The ponies get crafty and teach Trixie the true meaning of friendship.

Dol-FIN-ale
The ponies go to extreme lengths to introduce Fluttershy to her celebrity hero Finn Tastic.
Y'all know the drill! Tune into Treehouse at 11 AM Eastern, or hop on Discord and check #ponyday for a stream link. Will Fluttershy finally get to meet her dolphin husbando?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: PONY LIFE 11-12: A Camping We Will Go/Campfire Stories/Friendship Gems/Dol-FIN-ale

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:34 am

Dol-FIN-ale's lesson was a surprisingly complex one, even versus FiM's standard. "Lying is bad, but maybe it's not really bad when your friends are going to great lengths to help you achieve something you never could've otherwise, and you can at least appreciate that" is absolutely not a take I expected. :-I I'm not sure it's something that should be emulated, but I suppose the point was that it's something we do to each other so often that it helps to learn about it anyway.

The setup for Campfire Stories really makes me want to see the production notes Hasbro gave Boulder Media. It would have been extremely easy to lead in off of the previous episode, whereas "the Mane Six overload Sugarcube Corner's electrical system and are stuck without Wi-Fi for a while" is clearly more complicated. Was it in service of showing a situation we're more likely to encounter IRL? Showing them hanging out by sitting around and poking at their phones is at least dead accurate to how people socialize today, enough that I feel like it's something Hasbro would have specifically asked for.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Re: PONY LIFE 11-12: A Camping We Will Go/Campfire Stories/Friendship Gems/Dol-FIN-ale

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:46 pm

:gotcha: oh good, apparently Starlight doesn't exist anymore.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Wait, if the power's out how are they using wi-fi?

Edit: my eyes play tricks on me and i somehow saw "without" as "with" despite reading it twice
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:11 am

It's here, the end of the Finn Tastic story arc! I will say, it's weird that Pony Life has had tighter continuity than FiM, lol.

The first story reminds me of "Sleepless in Ponyville" of course, which also had Rarity complaining about camping. I was surprised the story actually treated Rarity well, telling her that she was doing fine camping already. That said, it did mean the story felt low-conflict.

In a reference only old-time PonyEra stream viewers will get, here's a clip of Rarity meeting Aya from Super Gals.

The second story not actually being connected to the first is strange, given the titles. A minor thing, but I appreciated the lesson about plugging in too many things. This was fun, though I felt like the ways the girls' stories differed didn't really reflect their characters as strongly as they could have.

But forget all that, story three has freaking TRIXIE.

No Starlight, alas, and it also doesn't seem like Trixie had any friends other than herself. The story of the episode was a bit odd, with the Finn Tastic stuff being unconnected to the Trixie stuff, and Trixie herself learning friendship through friendship bracelets, but it was fun.

Rarity lying about the invitation; I love Tabitha's delivery here. Nicole Oliver mentioned in whatever convention was last that Tabitha improvised a lot of her Pony Life lines; I imagine the "congratula-fins" part was all her.

Trixie with wings!

Fluttershy being weird

Trixie's transformation

And at last, we see the dolphin himself! Finn Tastic actually turned out to be a pretty swell guy. Let's give him the Element of Honesty. Things worked out for everyone, in fact. And now the CMC's troupe has more leaders than members! It was a fun story, and I enjoyed the bits with Fluttershy on her own, though everything resolving so easily did feel weird. Also Celestia out of nowhere, who already knew what was going on.

Biggest fan

Rarity being weird

They really had fun with the gree-ee-ee-eets