Old Mares' Tales - General Fanfic Chat/Purgatory

It's lovely, darling! (Fanart, Fanfics, Pony or not Pony. If you're creative, post here!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

SigmasonicX

Re: Old Mares' Tales - General Fanfic Chat/Purgatory

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:52 am

Wrote a one-shot
I Can't Click This Book, Auntie by SigmasonicX
Rarity just learned Li'l Cheese doesn't know what a book is. Twilight will arrive in Ponyville soon. This calls for desperate measures.

Contains series finale spoilers.

Note this story includes mild RariTwi.
This started as part of a conspiracy to make Li'l Cheese non-cis in fanfics, but I needed an actual story, so I was inspired by this Jargon Scott comic.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm

SigmasonicX wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:52 am
This started as part of a conspiracy to make Li'l Cheese non-cis in fanfics
I'm so entirely down for this that I may have to help.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 am

Ragnar wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 pm
I'm so entirely down for this that I may have to help.
The more the merrier!

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 am

So, uh, yeah. Once upon a time I used to write some fics. They weren't that great, in my opinion, but were decent enough to get featured on EqD, for whatever that was worth back then. Eventually, though, poor mental health and the never ending march of canon crushing what were meant to be canon-complimentary stories kinda killed my enthusiasm. For the last few years I've been trying to write original works, but the spark and enthusiasm just wasn't there, either. It wasn't until FiM ended that I figured I might give fanfiction another go, since the show's ending kinda flung the doors wide open to speculation about the future with just enough concrete details to work off of.

So I started writing this! It's just in its infant stages, with just about 5k words written, but its initial trip down the New Stories section was surprisingly successful, garnering positive ratings/comments and ~200 views, which seems to be pretty good if I'm analyzing the statistics right. Nowhere near Feature Box material, but I'm not that good of a writer, and I'm not writing dark drama or romance, so I'm counting it as a victory in my book.

The gist of the story is that it's a sci-fi adventure tale about Cozy Glow, who is released in the far future for not entirely clear reasons by a much older Princess Twilight, and is more or less conscripted into working as an assistant to the princess until she both proves that she can be trusted not to cause trouble and earns enough money to strike out on her own.There is of course a lot more going on, but like I said, this is just the beginning.

Unfortunately, this premise is rather similar to several other popular stories about Cozy Glow that cropped up shortly before mine, but I swear that I was writing this well before I saw them. I am a very slow writer. :-I In any case, I'm hoping that the more sci-fi bent and less dark tone will help it stand out in the end, but only time will tell. It certainly feels great to be back writing about something I have some passion for, that's for sure!

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:00 am

I'll check it out

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Up to 4 chapters and ~12k words in my story now. Reception is pretty positive, but I only get about 4 comments per chapter and don't really have a way to draw in new readers given that my story doesn't exactly leap off the page and draw people in with its tags. It's not too bad, though, and I'm glad that people like what I'm doing.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Perpetual Motion wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 pm
Up to 4 chapters and ~12k words in my story now. Reception is pretty positive, but I only get about 4 comments per chapter and don't really have a way to draw in new readers given that my story doesn't exactly leap off the page and draw people in with its tags. It's not too bad, though, and I'm glad that people like what I'm doing.
Posted a review, it's good.
And four comments per chapter is plenty to be proud of. You have more comments and views than either of my stories.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:04 am

SigmasonicX wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:10 pm
Posted a review, it's good.
And four comments per chapter is plenty to be proud of. You have more comments and views than either of my stories.
Thanks for the feedback! Avoiding the grimdark cyberpunk feel was a big part of my goals, and I'm glad it comes across well and sensical.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:29 pm

For FimFiction's Jinglemas Secret Santa event, I wrote Lyra Meets Anime, and the gift I got was a Shimmy Shake and Lighthoof fic, Big City, Big Dreams.

Looking at the other fics, two in particular stood out to me. From Equestria With Love, featuring Sunset and Rarity, and The Last Trial of Clover the Clever, featuring Clover.

Here's the full collection.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:12 am

So, about two weeks ago, after completing the latest chapter of Glow to the Future, I was overwhelmed by an idea for a really dumb crossover with one of my favorite video games because of ~thematic parallels~ and had to write it. It was supposed to be a quick, light thing about 5-7k words long and would only take me about three or four days to write. It ended up being three times that length and took me until yesterday to finish. :-I

And thus, I present The Sun, but Not a crossover with Hollow Knight, a game I consider to be one of the best games of the past decade and probably my favorite Metroidvania of all time. It's not terribly entangled in the game's lore. It just mostly exists because the game's main villain is a literal Sun deity who draws the insect people of the game's world into a twisted dream-based hive-mind and I couldn't help but think "this would contrast great with Celestia as a character" and felt like Breezies would be a good vector befitting Hollow Knight's insect proclivities.

Of course, it being a niche crossover with a relatively niche game means nobody has given a shit about it since I published it, but I wasn't exactly expecting much so that's okay. I mostly just wanted the damn idea out of my head so I could move on with my proper story, so mission accomplished! :-I

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:11 am

Checking with a quick search, there are actually a decent number of Hollow Knight crossover fics.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:49 am

I've returned from the grave with more writing! I had a pretty bad past month when it comes to depressive and anxiety-based episodes and wasn't able to write much at all during that, but I managed to pull myself together and finish a new chapter of Glow to the Future! Hopefully I won't end up on month-long breakdowns again any time soon :-I

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon May 11, 2020 1:06 am

The Enchanted Kingdom had another big milestone chapter, with chapter 21. If you've been reading this or TEL but have fallen behind, I definitely recommend catching up. Especially if you've been wondering what exactly is Rarity's deal.

Also, I wrote a dramatic fic for a contest. Not sure I'll do that again.

Almost Like Home
Silverstream looked forward to showing a potential new hippogriff student how fun the School of Friendship is, but those hopes were shot when a stallion showed up to a party they went to dressed as the Storm King. Now Silverstream finds things moving faster at the school than she can handle.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Wed May 20, 2020 12:58 am

And The Enchanted Kingdom has ended Act II, minus an epilogue, after years of work!