PYF: Post things that Happened!

Where everybody knows your name. (Safe Spaces and Self-Help)

Moderator: Momo

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: PYF: Post things that Happened!

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Well, I might've had a lot of struggle and worry regarding my performance in school this past semester (see my RUSP posting), but it's done now. My university finally posted all my grades and I got straight A's.

I hesitate to say it was worth it. After all, toward the end I got into a very negative mood, to where I could feel my old sort of self-harming thoughts coming back again. I'm pretty sure that if I were perfectly able to handle anxiety, it'd have only a positive effect on my academics. I should remember that I was able to do well despite worrying, not because of it.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Since we don't seem to have a haul thread, I'll just post here:

- Nintendo Switch (Neon Blue/Red Joy-Cons)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Switch (Explorer's Edition, which is just the stock game in a box with a map of the starting zone and a booklet that's...not that well written)
- Super Mario Odyssey for Switch
- The Binding of Issac Afterbirth + for Switch (sis got me this, not knowing I actually have Afterbirth + on steam, so the receipt is on the back. Not sure what I'll get in exchange for it though)
- Oster Belgian Waffle maker
- Awesome camo pants
- MLP blind bag figure; Shoeshine
- Hot Wheels "Boom Car"
- Stafford "Genuine Leather" built-in RFID shield wallet
- one White Mountain 2000 piece puzzle and two 1000 piece puzzles
- Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction (from my uncle, who heard I was doing National Novel Writing Month and have plans to get into self-publishing next year. It's a great looking book and guide).

I also got about $200 in gift money which will be going to some items that I've had interest in for some time. Also have a Gunpla care package (GM Striker, Chinagguy, bonus Christmas file) due sometime this week or next.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:21 am

You can share your gifts here, I imagine that works fine: http://www.roundstable.com/forums/viewt ... f=9&t=1249
Image /// Image /// Image

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

A friend and I were really depressed and anxious around the holidays so we decided to spend New Years Eve together at his parents' place. We ended up pretty much alternating between cuddling, crying our eyes out, getting baked, making delicious vegan treats, and starting over again xD... That was nice. We really needed that, I feel like we helped each other through some of our darkest moments and shared a lot.

I hope I'll get to see him again soon. :3:

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Just got an "Employer Identification Number" to set up my own personal LLC, the first step in establishing my own "company" which will lead to being able to partner with a friend and set up a publishing label for our works.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Kronos wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm
Just got an "Employer Identification Number" to set up my own personal LLC, the first step in establishing my own "company" which will lead to being able to partner with a friend and set up a publishing label for our works.
Good luck! I did something similar with my own publishing "label", and hope that it works out for you!

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:25 pm
Good luck! I did something similar with my own publishing "label", and hope that it works out for you!
Thanks! The next big hurdle is having to clear this with the parents (gotta set up a business bank account and all, plus the $100 filing fee with the Sec. of State to establish a legal entity), but given how hard it is to get a job for me for some inexplicable reason, my personal hope is that I can use my writing to get some money in the mean time (and of course the big dream being one of my titles becomes the next big pop culture hit and lands me a zillion bucks, a movie franchise, and loads of merchandising :flimflam: ).

Plus, being able to say I'm a (self)-published author on my resume would be a fairly unique achievement.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 am

I can speak from experience that it's definitely a challenge to make in-roads in the world of publishing, but with a smart plan and persistence, you should manage well!
Last edited by Mr. Big on Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 am
I can speak from experience that it's definitely a challenge to make in-roads in the world of publishing, but with a smart plan and persistence, you should manage well!
Yeah, I'm working with a friend who has run his own business for some time and he's got friends who actually have succeeded in self-publishing, so I know I'm working with good people on this. Still, appreciate the kind words!

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 am

My phone was getting very close to dying. Some of its main functions were glitching or just completely not working and it would die at 60% battery at some point... So Kiith got me a new phone. O_O Holy shit.

I'm really not used to getting gifts and don't really handle it well, I'm having a lot of trouble feeling like I deserve this. But either way, I'm really grateful and glad to have a working phone again.

Kiith, you're way too sweet. Thank you. :3

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:14 am

If someone gets you a present, they most definitely think you deserve it. Try believing them. :flutterunsmith:

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I bought myself a TF Leader Overlord and Yuudachi (remodel) figure for my birthday -- they should arrive in 2 weeks

Also, surgery was successful, and return to work tomorrow after just 14 days since my surgery. Gonna be in light duty for 2 more weeks.

Also, just realized I missed Perry's birthday (since we're both from the 4th)
SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Glad you are on the mend. :yay: Happy belated birthday!

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I also lost some lbs, but I'm guessing that's on account of losing an organ
:v:
SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Aramek wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:28 am
I just put an offer in for my first home.

Fingers crossed, and we'll see where it goes from here.

:sweetielarm: :sweetielarm: :sweetielarm:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 pm

My day didn't start off well this morning. I had some work-issues, and I was so exhausted I was basically dumb today, being forgetful to the point of embarassing.

Things picked up later today, tho. I got paid for the said work, eventually, and I managed to win something I really, really wanted on eBay. Little things in life, I guess.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 pm

It was a good day today.

Had to head upstate to an interview, but my uncle - who happened to have gone upstate last week with my dad to see a ball game - discovered the interview location was literally three blocks away and so already knew the location, so he just drove me up there. My uncle and I always have a good time when it's just the two of us on a trip. Also got to see a double-header freight train consist which is a bonus.

Then the interview went over super well. Lasted 90 minutes, well over three times what these interviews usually last so here's hoping that's a good sign. The people I talked with all seemed impressed with me, so that's hopeful.

I hadn't eaten lunch then, so after the interview my uncle and I went to a nearby Steak & Shake for a late lunch. Turns out my uncle had a favorite item on the menu - a cheese melt - that wasn't on there anymore BUT the waitress (who was super awesome and we had a nice chat with her as the resturaunt wasn't busy at all) knew exactly what he wanted. She also recommended the red velvet milkshakes and HOLY GOD THEY WERE AMAZING. We left her a really nice tip for a great lunch.

Then, upon getting home, not one but TWO packages I'd been waiting on arrived sooner than anticpated - a replacement item from an online store for something that hadn't been shipped, and a rare Gunpla model a friend from another forum sent me last week.

THEN, mom let me order my favorite pizza for dinner.

AND THEN, after dinner, I was drafted to help dad and uncle install the new kitchen light (replacing the faulty florecent system with a new LED) and it was speculated it was going to be super hard because of some kind of weird multi-lock system. It took five minutes.

AND FINALLY THEN I checked my email and found out an even better job I'd been hoping for, which I hadn't heard from in a week, is still potentially on the table.

I don't think this day could have been better at all, considering.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Steak n Shake is well known for making every day better. :allears:

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Hell where do I start?

According to my calendar I've only been in preproduction (of my documentary series) for a little over a week but already I've talked to half a dozen industry vets and experts who've helped shape the story and history and gave their input on the project and plan itself.

The more it takes shape the more excited I get.

I'll also be moving into an actual 40 square meter office right in the middle of a creative hub.
Next week I'm talking to two composers who'll be producing music for me, end of this month I'm shooting at two Global Game Jam locations and come April I'll be moving!!

I have so much fucking momentum right now :-D

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Double posting cuz I got some additional thoughts.

It's like a ... idk, like a slow wave coming in? I think when I first landed the funding I knew it was big, but I was still "sceptical", or something. Like I'd gotten burned before so I was hesitant to jump on the hypetrain.

So I've slowly been getting... uh... "accustomed" to it?
idk

What I do know is hay I'm exactly where I want to be in life right now.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 pm

That's so awesome, Isaak. Keep enjoying the heck out of it :allears:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm

It's a good feeling, huh? :allears: Good luck, Isaak!

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 am

This is amazing, Isaak. You're incredibly talented, intelligent, and driven. It's fantastic that you have this opportunity, and I know you're gonna do great!

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm

After weeks of silence, the top job that I've had my fingers crossed for actually just got back to me. The recruiter (who is a super nice woman) said I'm still in the running and wanted me to provide some stuff citing my technical experience up to this point. Fortunately, I still had a sumary of a major internship project from a few years back, so I cleaned it up a little and sent it to her right away.

The job was supposed to have been filled back in December, so I'm happy I could still potentially get something that pays very well and is local.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:24 am

Golden Earring concert was great! :3: I had such a blast there.
New signature pending.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:53 pm

It's my birthday today! :party:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Happy birthday! :yay:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Happy birb :yay:

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 am

Gonna spend the night at a friend's place. I can really use the rest and company. A new hostile drunk roommate has been putting this place upside down day and night, so I'm glad I can get a break from it.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 am

i just got home from a miserable 4-day stay at the hospital due to pneumothorax (collapsed lung)

i brought some kind of fever home with me but at least my breathing's good and i can see my bunny again

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:29 am

Today I went out to have a nice luncheon with a recruiter in an area of town I used to live in, which gave me a chance to visit a hobby shop I've been meaning to go to for almost over a decade. It was a great little shop that largely catered to vehicle and military hobbies, though there were some character models and old board games. But best of all, they had some Gunpla so I picked up a new kit I've been wanting - not the flashiest but something more low key as I need more Feddy grunts (though how much the Blue Destiny Unit 1 counts as a "grunt" beyond using the GM head is up for debate)

And then when I got home, another recruiter called me up (they'd actually called me in the hobby shop so I asked them to call a bit later when I was home) asking if I was interested in what sounded like a great job position, which was great. And I've got job interviews lined up tomorrow as well as next week, so it's a productive week in job hunting.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 am

Going to Home Depot tomorrow because I'm gonna eventually treat myself to a new fridge and stove. Never had a new stove before.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am

Aramek wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 am
Going to Home Depot tomorrow because I'm gonna eventually treat myself to a new fridge and stove. Never had a new stove before.
You usually spend a good 90% of your free time at Home Depot for the first 3 months after buying a new home :v:

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 am

Octavia wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am
You usually spend a good 90% of your free time at Home Depot for the first 3 months after buying a new home :v:
There's a Menards Home Depot and Lowe's all equidistant from me.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 pm

Dad and I managed to fix the leaky tube in the basement yesterday with a compressed joiner, so we don't need to wait for my uncle to come this weekend.

EDIT: Okay, need your input folks, because I'm sure many of you remember my disasterous "job" back in Atlanta and I'm getting some red flags with this new potential job.

Essentially, after two phone conversations and a live video skype...it feels like all I've done is talk to the same guy and say the exact same story about my internship (from 2015) three times over. This job is, thankfully, local so I won't be marooned in the south this time, but the company is not getting great reviews online (already reason enough to turn this place down, sounds like a place where the management just doesn't really care about the employees) and this interview stuff just reinforces that. Especially since the "technical" interview didn't have a single question about my knowledge of technology (Despite being told to bone up for that by the recruiter). Should I be more worried that these interviews have been really short and just retreading the exact same topic three times over?

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 am

There is only a tiny bit of correlation between "company has a good interview process" and "company is good to work for". Personally, I'd ask a lot of questions about what it's like to work there/what work they plan to have you do, maybe visit/try to talk to other employees (past or present), but I wouldn't write something off just because the interviewer doesn't know how to interview.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm

diribigal wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 am
There is only a tiny bit of correlation between "company has a good interview process" and "company is good to work for". Personally, I'd ask a lot of questions about what it's like to work there/what work they plan to have you do, maybe visit/try to talk to other employees (past or present), but I wouldn't write something off just because the interviewer doesn't know how to interview.
Well, the guy did ask for my personal info as it seems like I will get the offer - and with no alternative close in sight (interviewed for much better paying jobs but I'm only on round one of those interviews) it looks like I will take this job. I really do need income and health coverage, which this job offers, and hopefully you're right in that the interviewing just wasn't good but not reflective of the company.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Broke my phone this morning like an idiot. Got a nee phone and a free tablet (I have to pay to have it use my data plan but it'll be on Wi-Fi prrtty much most of its life.

So while this is gonna cost me some money it could have been worse I guess.

Now ill just be using the weekend to grt used to my new phone.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Well, my mind is made up - and I should be pretty happy because after eight months, I finally have a legitamate job and can finally put Atlanta behind me! :party:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Congrats! :yay: