Prehistoric Pony: The Early Days of the Show

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Re: Prehistoric Pony: The Early Days of the Show

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:07 pm

BartonFink wrote:Also funny in general to see terms like "butt symbol" being used since the cutie mark concept hadn't been introduced yet.
Point of contention: Fluttershy said "cutie mark" way back in "Part 2", when she comments that Rarity's necklace matches hers. So either they weren't paying attention to that scene or were deliberately ignoring it because they hadn't been exposed to enough :ponydrugs: yet and still thought it sounded stupid.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

For what its worth, Lauren Faust herself used the term "butt symbol" (or a close equivalent) on her DA account a few times.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:33 pm

"Butt Symbol" is a lot more humourous phrase anway. :v:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Bag of Magic Food

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Pocket wrote:Point of contention: Fluttershy said "cutie mark" way back in "Part 2", when she comments that Rarity's necklace matches hers. So either they weren't paying attention to that scene or were deliberately ignoring it because they hadn't been exposed to enough :ponydrugs: yet and still thought it sounded stupid.
I think the term was introduced sometime in Generation 3, but I don't know how to pinpoint it. It was a plot point in "Toola Roola's Mixed-Up Painting Party", at least.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Mr. Big wrote:For what its worth, Lauren Faust herself used the term "butt symbol" (or a close equivalent) on her DA account a few times.
I think that she or someone else said that in the studio they called them "butt stamps" :gotcha:

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Bag of Magic Food wrote:I think the term was introduced sometime in Generation 3
I should certainly hope so.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 am

Ok, updated with all the interesting stuff Barton found, as well as Episode 6, Faust's /co/ appearance, and some more late forums.
Pocket wrote:I should certainly hope so.
On the other hand, G1 is responsible for "winking out."

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:20 am

Nissl wrote:Something Awful
Thread 1 - need something that can be seen without archives upgrade, for now if you do have the upgrade go here
Hey, I have archives and some random webspace, I could rectify this!

Here!

(note: this was a quick crtl+s, minor editing, upload; if something is wrong I'll fix it when I get back later today)

edit: fuuuuuuuu okay you'll have to use page 1 to navigate for the moment, but again I'll fix that later :modesty:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:24 am

Nissl wrote:On the other hand, G1 is responsible for "winking out."
I still think that must have been on purpose. :gotcha: Some jaded staffer going "Man, I really hate this girly shit they force me to work on..."
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:37 am

Aramek wrote: I still think that must have been on purpose. :gotcha: Some jaded staffer going "Man, I really hate this girly shit they force me to work on..."
I'm convinced this is how "Pinkiemint" happened in G3.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm

If I search the phrase "love and tolerate", the first post is this: http://archive.no-ip.org/co/thread/23703024#p23704175
The thing is the fact it's an image means it might've been around before that. Seems to start being used a lot more in February, either way.

I was gonna look up "Mods asleep post ponies" but that's more of a /b/ thing I think. (note: I kinda have no idea) (edit: actually it seems like "mods are asleep, [do thing]" has been around longer than just a pony thing)

Okay, and I made the mirror to the initial SA thread a bit more better gooder: http://minusx.info/Bartonfink/firstthread/1.htm

edit: Equestria Daily beginnnnnsssss

(I find this fascinating for some reason)

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Updated, thanks. Might leave "love and tolerate" off since it was probably generated on /b/ originally. I also screwed up the pre-launch stuff slightly. I missed a few threads, and the "first" ss I put up seems to be some sort of publicity thing that was out before the show. This should be the correct version.

Wylie

Post by Wylie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:50 am

Halfway through the Winter Wrap Up leak thread appears to be one of the first times someone notices the unicorn filly that would become Dinky and makes the connection that Derpy's her mom.

And let's just point out that we're not saying that all this stuff originated on /co/, we're just able to find /co/'s history a bit better than most. I imagine someone in #ponyspoilers chat (if it existed back then, did it?) would be making the same observation at around the same time.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 am

Wylie wrote:Halfway through the Winter Wrap Up leak thread appears to be one of the first times someone notices the unicorn filly that would become Dinky and makes the connection that Derpy's her mom.

And let's just point out that we're not saying that all this stuff originated on /co/, we're just able to find /co/'s history a bit better than most. I imagine someone in #ponyspoilers chat (if it existed back then, did it?) would be making the same observation at around the same time.
I'm pretty sure the #ponygoons IRC channel didn't exist until the second SA thread took off, and I'm pretty sure #ponyspoilers was only created some time after. (I remember when #ponyspoilers first turned up, but I don't remember when it was, exactly; it may not have been until the first Return of Harmony spoilers started popping up.)

Also, where did the Derpy/Dinky connection come from, anyway? Was it based on some background detail in Winter Wrap-Up I've forgotten or was it just one of those 'let's make fanon out of literally nothing' scenarios?

Killing Vector

Post by Killing Vector » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:20 am

OpposingFarce wrote:Also, where did the Derpy/Dinky connection come from, anyway? Was it based on some background detail in Winter Wrap-Up I've forgotten or was it just one of those 'let's make fanon out of literally nothing' scenarios?
I'm pretty sure it's based on nothing other than their color schemes being similar.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 am

Someone probably noticed her colors looked similar and, going off the Berry Punch Has a Unicorn Child With Similar Colors thing from "Bridle Gossip", decided she and Derpy were related.

A post over in OSS got me wondering where "poni should poni poni" came from, but my search only brought up results from last October or later, so that's probably not it. I guess it probably came from /b/.

Wylie

Post by Wylie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:42 am

Pocket wrote:Someone probably noticed her colors looked similar and, going off the Berry Punch Has a Unicorn Child With Similar Colors thing from "Bridle Gossip", decided she and Derpy were related.

A post over in OSS got me wondering where "poni should poni poni" came from, but my search only brought up results from last October or later, so that's probably not it. I guess it probably came from /b/.
If you're thinking of the "PONY VERBS THE NOUN" meme, it's from the actual toy packaging. There are ponies with little pets and a wagon, and a sticker on the box spells it out for the kids: "PONY PULLS THE WAGON". There's a different version with a saddle, and predictably, "PONY WEARS THE SADDLE". It took off from there.

Unless "poni should poni poni" is a different thing, in which case enlighten me because I've never heard of that.

pastalunch

Post by pastalunch » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 am

Pocket wrote:"poni should poni poni"
Came from "pony should lick pony", replacing the verb with other verbs, and eventually replacing it with "pony". There is a G1 gif of Sparkler licking Applejack, ponies used to lick each other a lot in the G1 series. It was definitely mentioned alongside the gif and didn't just come out of nowhere like the threads show. Mind that archive.no-ip is not complete. Even though it has only one CartoonBrew "end of the world" thread, there were at least two, and the other one was longer than the archived one. For example of missing posts and threads, see this thread on arch.413chan which is missing from archive.no-ip.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 am

I approved that post tentatively because it explained what went on, but I removed the link because that string of posts are kind of creepy. If you want that link, nissl, talk to pastalunch in PM.

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Hmm, perhaps I should put it up with a big disclaimer? I could also just link to pasta's post. I haven't really run across the "poni should poni poni" thing more than a few times, truth be told. Perhaps that's just the areas of the web I frequent.

Disappointing news about the Cartoon Brew thread, thanks for letting me know though. Most of the episode threads seem to be fairly complete based on timestamps and connections between threads, but I'm sure lots of smaller threads are missing too. I'll update in a minute to make a note of it. If anyone can find the other thread that would be great.

pastalunch

Post by pastalunch » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:48 am

archive.no-ip is as good as it gets. Unless someone personally archived the other CartoonBrew thread, you're not going to find it and it's as good as "never existed". If it's any help, both threads were posted on the same day and only a couple of hours from each other. Once arch.413chan kicked in, barely a pony thread went by without being archived. Where there are gaps they are usually filled by archive.no-ip. Truth be told, the "CartoonBrew did it" line and "bronies started on /b/" line have been repeated so many times that I doubt anyone would question them any more.

Edit: Oh, you got both threads. I don't think there was a third one. For some reason I thought the second thread was longer, I guess not. Turns out they weren't on the same day either. Whoops.

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 am

Phew, finally actually got a free hour to myself and finished up the /co/ links through the MLP general era. I'm not really planning to add much more unless people have suggestions as this thing seems to have run its course. I did want to ask whether anyone with more technical expertise has an easy solution to take a screenshot of entire threads other than print screen and laboriously paste together in Photoshop. I'd like to make sure none of this disappears if no-ip ever goes offline.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 am

You may want to consider getting in touch with whoever runs 413chan and suggest that he rehost all the pre-archive MLP generals you found. I'm sure he'd be interested considering the lengths he went to to get his own auto-archiver set up and working.

@Zebra_ebooks
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by @Zebra_ebooks (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Firefox and Chrome both have tools for taking screenshots of entire webpages.

Incendia

Post by Incendia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Well, hello there, both to the site and to the thread. I guess I'll give a quick introduction.

I saw a screencap of this topic in 4chan /b/'s pony thread. Apparently, you're interested in history of ponies on the internet? Well, not only am I also interested in it (including the pre-/b/ history), but I have quite an incredible wealth of information concerning the beginning of the whole "brony" thing on the internet.

To specify, I've been a 4chan-goer for years. Last January, I found a couple of pony threads that popped up on /b/ and I was skeptical at first, but they drew me in and, over a year and three months later, I am that much richer for the experience of watching the brony phenomenon's creation and quite rapid growth.

As someone pointed out before, yes, the "love and tolerance" thing was started on /b/. I can elaborate on that, if anyone is interested, and I can elaborate on pretty much anything that concerns early /b/ history. /co/ might have started the love for the show, but /b/ is truly where the "spirit" of the "bronies" was born, and where its torch still shines brightly, with a pony thread running 24/7, uninterrupted (moving from image limit to image limit, from 404/bans to new threads) way back from January last year.

Bans, 404s and other mod actions (mostly speaking about /b/ here) are also something that dramatically impacted the "bronies" and the fanbase in general, and shaped it. For example, I believe that, if the initial pony bans in February last year haven't happened, that the "bronies" would never have appeared as a thing, and even if MLP became popular, it would not have been even close to what it is today. Not only did the constant 404s and bans attract new, curious people, as well as people who did not hold a very good opinion on 4chan's quite bratty staff team, but a mod's stickied call for a raid on Ponychan did a LOT to increase the popularity of that site (and, again, the curiosity of people, which also grew the whole fanbase).

Did I mention that I am in possession of several gigabytes of thread archives, that cover multiple time periods? There's a small number of extremely old threads from February and March last year, then there are a lot of threads from April to May, and then people's heart-felt speeches about the effect of the community (and generally looking back at everything that happened, including our history) on them. Then the threads during the Great Hiatus and the threads during the second pony-banning storm which happened from October to December last year (as well as the first threads of Season 2), and then, the freshest threads (these are the most plentiful, since my thread archival system became much easier to use recently) that cover the events of the creation of /mlp/ and another desperate, futile attempt of 4chan's staff to rid /b/ of ponies (which they're already giving up with, if they haven't given up already, and most people that took refuge on /mlp/ will soon return once everything stabilizes).

I also saved most threads when the new episode aired, and some threads concerning the "neutrals", which I must say, shaped our little community very much, and as members of our community left and established communities all over the internet, shaped the "bronies" in general.

I also have a limited number of Ponychan-related important events (oh, and I was also the part of the great shitstorm where ponies were almost banned from /co/, once, that was fun) that happened, which I thought might have been important, but that isn't exactly history, and considering that when I saved those threads, we have already spread everywhere, it didn't affect the big picture, just Ponychan, but it's good to mention, if anyone cares.

So, yeah, if anyone is interested, you can ask me ANYTHING about the history of the /b/ threads, which were the source for the brony mentality and "values", as well as the threads that basically gave MLP a massive rocket boost that made it as massive as it is today. And, as I said, I have a massive amount of saved threads, so it won't be only words, that's for certain.

Have a nice day.

-Aeris/The Great and Powerful Trixie/Darth Lyra/Incendia

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Willkommen, Incendia.

Wow, that's...a lot of useful* info! I would be interested in this stuff in general, but I suppose I'll just ask a few basic questions:
- Given the "nature" of /b/, how did it even spread there in the first place? I can recall reading something to the effect it was four posters who were basically doing a major troll, but then it actually legitimately picked up...any truth to that at all?
- Someone mentioned it being inaccurate earlier, so what's your opinion on KnowYourMeme's pony history summation?
- And yeah, I'd dig an origins of "Love and tolerance" rundown.

Thanks. :twasnothin:

*True usefulness is admittedly arguable

Redeye

Post by Redeye (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Whooo!

Yeah, I think that'd be fascinating stuff to have--you might want to forward that to Headless Horse, our resident :words:mith, as well as anyone else who expresses interest (which I include myself in!).

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Me too. A lot of these threads are otherwise lost to the aether, and I think the beginnings of what's become a ridiculously huge internet phenomena are really interesting.

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 am

Hey, I recognize your name from the few times I dropped in on /b/ to survey the culture there. I'd be really interested to see all of the threads, and if you don't mind I'd also try to organize it and put some key threads in the original post.

(After I screenshot all of the linked /co/ threads, if archive.no-ip ever comes back up... kicking myself, but I know there's a zip file with most of those threads floating around somewhere).