Welcome to Ponies

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Wulfolme

Re: Welcome to Ponies

Post by Wulfolme » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 am

We clearly must have far more discussion of serious characterization and the specifics of physics and politics in Equestria. Maybe some more focus on specific bits of animation as well.

For the bitter, the admin posts in the pony threads in FYAD read like a 4chan page, but on to happier days.

Snofeld

Post by Snofeld » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 am

Slily wrote:Seeing all these avatars makes me think of better times,

*pulls harmonica out of pocket*
Hey, at least you can put your credit card back in your pocket! Free ponytars all around!

The old thread was basically 50% ponytar talk, but it was also the friendliest thread on SA so :pinkieshrug:

lexicalunit

Post by lexicalunit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks for the forum. Sometimes I miss really nice touches in the show, so catching up on the posts in the SA thread every now and then definitely enriched my viewing.

Candy Dawn

Post by Candy Dawn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Thank you so much for this forum! I only noticed the lack of Pony awesomeness on SA about an hour ago. It was such a nice and civil thread for the most part.

Oh well, :ponydrugs:

miscellaneous14

Post by miscellaneous14 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Rocketfish wrote:Would it be possible for us to get a banner back in the forums that links here once the hubub has died down?
Y'know, I can't help but imagine that if they found out about this forum, FYAD-ites would throw another fit and start demanding that all MLP-fans get immediately banned for whatever reason. Maybe I shouldn't have used the exact same name I have on there? :tinfoil:

Liska

Post by Liska » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Snofeld wrote: Hey, at least you can put your credit card back in your pocket! Free ponytars all around!

The old thread was basically 50% ponytar talk, but it was also the friendliest thread on SA so :pinkieshrug:
Yeah, but the fact that everyone was spending so much money on ponytars for every newcomer that joined, is what made it significant. People weren't just 'sperging about animated gifs, they were essentially spending time making and buying gifts for one another.

I would have loved to have seen how far that thread could really go, but ah well, c'est la vie.

miscellaneous14 wrote: Y'know, I can't help but imagine that if they found out about this forum, FYAD-ites would throw another fit and start demanding that all MLP-fans get immediately banned for whatever reason. Maybe I shouldn't have used the exact same name I have on there? :tinfoil:
They already know about it, and are mocking the idea, at most.

Kanthulhu

Post by Kanthulhu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Pony never dies.

Let's make this forum as friendly as the old thread, guys!

:ponydrugs:

Andorian Blues

Post by Andorian Blues » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks so much for approving my account! Huge fan of MLP (screw the haters), but I only ever lurked the old thread. :facehoof:

Now, all I need is a ponytar.

Snofeld

Post by Snofeld » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Liska wrote: They already know about it, and are mocking the idea, at most.
Relentless cheerfulness will dampen their fires!

Optimus Prime Rib Sandwich

Post by Optimus Prime Rib Sandwich » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Pink Himalayan Salt wrote: It looks like the low content posts and avatar chat may have contributed as well - Gravy Jones posted this
To be fair the thread pretty much was 90% ponytars at that point, and I could see why Aatrek would get sick of skimming through it after a while. To be sure, the minecraft thread was probably just as terrible at points, but the minecraft threads also got locked a couple times and now have serious attention from Zorak and Louisgod. I'm mostly hoping for a couple weeks for the hype to die down and the thread-ban to be lifted, then get a thread with a hard set of rules ("shut the fuck about avatars", "no creepy cosplays", "shut the fuck up about avatars jesus christ"). Unfortunately, unlike minecraft, I don't think MLP has any admin/mod fans so prospects don't seem too high.

e:
In other news this forum has gotten over 350 posts in less than 24 hours, holy shit
Last edited by Optimus Prime Rib Sandwich on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SecretSoup

Post by SecretSoup » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 pm

So glad for the new forum! :ponydrugs:

So what's the reaction to getting a toy topic up in here? I know all the bros are getting their pretty ponies from McDonalds and pictures are out for the new toys shown at the NY Toy Fair, and face it, this show was made to sell toys.

Snofeld

Post by Snofeld » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 pm

SecretSoup wrote:So glad for the new forum! :ponydrugs:

So what's the reaction to getting a toy topic up in here? I know all the bros are getting their pretty ponies from McDonalds and pictures are out for the new toys shown at the NY Toy Fair, and face it, this show was made to sell toys.
Honestly can't think of a reason not to.

Nemo2342

Post by Nemo2342 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:08 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for putting up the new forum. I'm glad we have a place where we can talk about the episodes/make new avatars/what have you without having to worry too much about getting removed from SA.

Majestic bear song

Post by Majestic bear song » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Nevermind. :facehoof:
Last edited by Majestic bear song on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Majestic bear song wrote:Can we get a jump to last post read button? This place is gonna get real hard to read otherwise.
That little orange box to the left of thread titles does that.

Beef Assistant

Post by Beef Assistant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:45 pm

IRQ wrote: That little orange box to the left of thread titles does that.
This is nice but it's really tiny. Hopefully there's a way to make it bigger and to show the amount of new posts.

chinaman7000

Post by chinaman7000 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Hello, friends of ponies. I am glad to still have a place to vent my love of this show. I couldn't bring myself to join PA just to read a thread for this.

concerned reader
If we're going to love someone, anyone, why not start with ourselves and see where that takes us?
Agents of Chaos
Patreon supporter

Post by concerned reader (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:01 pm

chinaman7000 wrote:Hello, friends of ponies. I am glad to still have a place to vent my love of this show. I couldn't bring myself to join PA just to read a thread for this.
The PA thread is, umm, more free range than I like. So I much prefer this.

Aethis

Post by Aethis (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Concerned Reader wrote: The PA thread is, umm, more free range than I like. So I much prefer this.
Free-range... interesting way of terming it, I suppose.
Let the friendship shine through~

Beef Assistant

Post by Beef Assistant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 pm

SE++ is pretty laid-back which is alright, but it's so much so that I have no idea what to fucking post there

Rocketfish

Post by Rocketfish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Anyone new to this forum or new to ponies in general should waltz on over to the avatar thread and get gussied up. An avatar for every pony fan, and a pony fan for every avatar.

KillerJunglist

Post by KillerJunglist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:03 am

I haven't properly thanked ComradeCosmobot for setting this up. You sir, are a great person and a wonderful example of "friendship".

I hadn't posted in a long time on SA until the pony thread. Then they killed it. :smith:
Then you brought it back. :unsmith:

Just wanted to put out a public "thank you".

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 am

I firmly believe that this forum is going to rule.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:30 am

Sorry it can't rule I post here.

Melvitty

Post by Melvitty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:35 pm

killerjunglist wrote:I haven't properly thanked ComradeCosmobot for setting this up. You sir, are a great person and a wonderful example of "friendship".

I hadn't posted in a long time on SA until the pony thread. Then they killed it. :smith:

This right here. I was pretty sad when I came back to see the thread gone. It was the first time I had ventured to participate in anything in SA. The thread was fun and friendly, and I was enjoying it immensely. I'm so happy for this forum and also want to thank ComradeCosmobot.

Che Delilas

Post by Che Delilas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Just wanted to add my thanks to the pile. It's probably more appropriate than a single thread on SA anyway, since you couldn't hold a proper discussion on any one topic due to the speed at which it was moving.

One technical question/suggestion: Is there a way to make the left section of threads (where the user names, avatars, etc are displayed) fixed width? Right now that column's width is relative to the window size, and with a widescreen monitor that means it's very wide and has a lot of wasted space. Not a big deal if it's too much of a pain to change.

Beeps

Post by Beeps » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Che Delilas wrote:Right now that column's width is relative to the window size, and with a widescreen monitor that means it's very wide and has a lot of wasted space. Not a big deal if it's too much of a pain to change.
Even without a widescreen monitor it's very wide.

chinaman7000

Post by chinaman7000 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 pm

I also wanna thank Comrade for this. Probably a lame hassle, but it is appreciated.

Liska

Post by Liska » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Agreed. I just want to say "thank you" for the trouble Cosmobot went through to get this place running and all the screening for trolls that he's having to go through.

The ponythread was amazing, and I got warm fuzzies just visiting it. I'm hoping this place will be able to carry enough momentum to last a while.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Liska wrote:Agreed. I just want to say "thank you" for the trouble Cosmobot went through to get this place running and all the screening for trolls that he's having to go through.

The ponythread was amazing, and I got warm fuzzies just visiting it. I'm hoping this place will be able to carry enough momentum to last a while.
I hope this place doesn't die, I had to figure out IRC in order to get in and that took me like two days. Oh and obviously ComradeCosmobot had to do all this work to make this place be, and who knows how hard it is to filter for trolls right now, so the mods have their work cut out for them too.

So why'd you ditch the "clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop etc"? Your av in the SA thread was one of my favorites just because of that.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Che Delilas

Post by Che Delilas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 pm

It's going to be a bit slower and less frantic, for two reasons. First, not everyone from the SA thread is going to come register here just so they can post the occasional "I liked the newest episode" comment in the one thread about the show. Second, splitting up all the topics of conversation means it's going to at least LOOK slower, and probably have fewer overall posts since any questions and answers are going to be much easier (read: possible) to find before they get buried under an avalanche of unrelated posts.

I can't see the situation as a bad thing, really. It was nearly impossible to have a coherent discussion on any one topic in the single uberthread. I doubt it's going to die any time soon, unless the quality of the show takes a major nosedive.

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 am

My only real complaint about this forum is that I find it a lot harder to follow than the thread in SA, because it was all condensed into one easy thread. What can you do, though.

Irilly Dunnoe

Post by Irilly Dunnoe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 am

Maple Leaf wrote:My only real complaint about this forum is that I find it a lot harder to follow than the thread in SA, because it was all condensed into one easy thread. What can you do, though.
On the other hand (hoof?), it's a lot easier to find specific points of discussion, because it's not all crammed into one thread and in between ponytar posts, which were getting to be the main bulk of the old thread. :pinkieshrug:

The important thing here is :ponydrugs:

quantumKitty

Post by quantumKitty (?) » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Revoked post.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillerJunglist

Post by KillerJunglist » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Irilly Dunnoe wrote: On the other hand (hoof?), it's a lot easier to find specific points of discussion, because it's not all crammed into one thread and in between ponytar posts, which were getting to be the main bulk of the old thread. :pinkieshrug:

The important thing here is :ponydrugs:
I would have thought that one thread would be enough, but I have been proven very wrong. Apparently we have a lot of varied pony topics to cover and having separate threads for them really does make it easier to find the last conversation you were a part of.

Liska

Post by Liska » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Ragnar34 wrote: So why'd you ditch the "clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop clop etc"? Your av in the SA thread was one of my favorites just because of that.
When this board went up the other day, you could only put text in your sig. Didn't quite look right down there. But now that Cosmobot has fixed that, I was just being lazy... "eh I'll fix it later". Might as well take care of it now. :)

Meta Omega

Post by Meta Omega » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm so glad we have someplace to talk about ponies. It would have been a real shame to not be able to party with you guys anymore.
:pinkietoot:

Mystic Cave zOWNd

Post by Mystic Cave zOWNd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:12 pm

killerjunglist wrote:I haven't properly thanked ComradeCosmobot for setting this up. You sir, are a great person and a wonderful example of "friendship".

This was a day or so ago (but yet strangely not therefore 5 pages) and I'm in the same boat. Kudos to you, Comrade

LASTCAR

Post by LASTCAR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:01 am

Thank you so much, Cosmobot and company, for getting this forum online so quickly! It's wonderful to see the free-floating friendliness of the old thread flourishing on these boards.

Beef Assistant

Post by Beef Assistant » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm

LASTCAR wrote:Thank you so much, Cosmobot and company, for getting this forum online so quickly! It's wonderful to see the free-floating friendliness of the old thread flourishing on these boards.
Part of the fun of the SA thread was getting random goon trolls coming in via the banner ads and insulting us. But this is fine too. Thanks Cosmo!