Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
beau

Re: Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Post by beau » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:31 pm

eXAKR wrote:Latest info from the Unicon Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-G4 ... edit?pli=1 :

"Sandi is reportedly planning to sue EFN for slander/libel. Information comes from PurpleTinker"

Now, I know PurpleTinker is a drama queen and all, and her info might be not reliable. But if this is indeed true, then things are definitely going straight into the ridiculous territory.
Tinker is actually on our side for once.

But I haven't actually seen her say this, unless she was on /mlp/ or something and I didn't see it while lurking.

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I didn't think this could possibly get any better but if they actually sue for libel

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 pm

I still can barely believe all this shit happened.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:04 pm

I haven't heard anything about Sandi wanting to sue EFN until reading these posts, and even if she did want to, her case would probably be pretty flimsy, because libel and slander suits are notoriously hard to win. Plus, you have to open yourself up for a lot of examination, which Sandi may not want to do, given what's just gone on. I remember seeing some facebook screenshot where such things were uttered but the source escapes me and it wasn't much more than "you know you ought to sue!" type of thing. I asked the EFN guys if they had heard anything about threats of lawsuits, and the answer was "we haven't heard anything either." So... :pinkieshrug:

At least right now, the "planning to sue EFN" thing is either rumor, wrong, or misinterpreted from something else and shouldn't be assumed to actually be happening until we see some actual statement from Sandi.

Of course, that's true as of when I posted it, but if she really does go through with such a harebrained idea... :twonk:

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 pm

That's not really surprising, considering that it's from 4channers and one layer down from PT.
Oh well :fluttersmith:

beau

Post by beau » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 pm

kefkafloyd wrote:At least right now, the "planning to sue EFN" thing is either rumor, wrong, or misinterpreted from something else and shouldn't be assumed to actually be happening until we see some actual statement from Sandi.
yeah... PT has actually been very honest and helpful in the whole mess. I doubt she actually said that.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Who else went there and was supposedly paid by Unicon? At this point I won't be surprised if their checks bounce as well. I also know that we're not supposed to assume that this was in fact a scam, but with the growing mountain of evidence I find it hard to believe that this is just a major SNAFU from first time con runners.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

kefkafloyd wrote:At least right now, the "planning to sue EFN" thing is either rumor, wrong, or misinterpreted from something else and shouldn't be assumed to actually be happening until we see some actual statement from Sandi.
Good to hear. Be terrible if efn had to deal with that.

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Kronos wrote:I also know that we're not supposed to assume that this was in fact a scam, but with the growing mountain of evidence I find it hard to believe that this is just a major SNAFU from first time con runners.
It's also possible (likely in my opinion) that they basically took all of the money and put it towards reducing their debt to the hotel. One anon was told that the Riviera was only owed $18k at this point before the hotel shut down all communication. Redirecting the money may violate some contractual obligations - or at least it would if this convention actually put anything on paper - but it's not quite the same as starting out with the intent to scam.

Discord

Post by Discord » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Considering they apparently Sandy wanted to give LasPegasist money to the hotel as well, as opposed to the guests, that seems likely.

BackgroundPony
I'm ready to initiate self-destruct sequence.
Faithful Students
Patreon supporter

Post by BackgroundPony (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Discord wrote:Considering they apparently Sandy wanted to give LasPegasist money to the hotel as well, as opposed to the guests, that seems likely.
And if they had been properly honest and contrite instead of being useless and making bad attempts to shift blame, the fandom probably would have stepped up to help them too, at least partway. Obviously they never really learned about the magic of basic human decency.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Holy ravioli, there's just no end to this mess is there? :-I

I have to admit, that "why this might be a scam" section has got me feeling pretty :notgonnadoit:

nuclearsuplex

Post by nuclearsuplex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 am

beau wrote: yeah... PT has actually been very honest and helpful in the whole mess. I doubt she actually said that.
PT was helpful with laspegassist, for sure. But now there's weird one-sided conversations left over from malformed accusations on an agent's twitter (maybe).

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 am

Purple Tinker also recently posted on her tumblr how Bronycon is doomed for the future - Supposedly because agents hate Bronycon and GalaCon got show staff on the same weekend that Bronycon can't get. Because apparently only show staff make a convention interesting. :pinkieshrug:

So yeah, while I would never say PT always lies, I would suggest we shouldn't see her as a 100% reliable source.

In other news:
Big Apple Ponycon wrote:We must unfortunately announce that Tara Strong will not be attending Big Apple Ponycon as planned. The events at Las Pegasus Unicon and her commitments to her family and work have made her choose to back out of the speaking circuit for the time being, and she is scaling back her involvement with many conventions.
Tara does want to do everything she can from home to help make everyone’s convention experience complete, so she has offered to give a Skype interview, and she will be providing signed headshots for those who have purchased autograph vouchers.

We’re still determining our policy on refunds for anyone who no longer wishes to attend, as well as revisiting our planned guests and their scheduling in light of this change. More updates will be available on our website in the next few days. In the meantime, feel free to send any questions to [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].

We wish Tara all the best, and we look forward to the ways she’s still able to participate in our convention!

-The Big Apple Ponycon Team
Image /// Image /// Image

Obi

Post by Obi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:00 am

Yeah she been tweeting today about how LPU has made her not want to do any more cons.

She also said:
Tara Strong wrote:I will definitely be @ Megacon in Orlando & the Phoenix con…beyond that I cannot make any promises. I love u all, bur my kids & work need me
So if you wanna see her for now, try to make one of those two.

blasmeister
Semper Pie

Post by blasmeister (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 am

The first of the long-term effects of the con, and probably not the last. :munch:
ImageImageImageImage

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 am

I want to say that the well established cons like Bronycon and Everfree NW are safe but Tara has been on quite the rampage that I'm not sure anymore.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 am

I can't say that I'm all that surprised that Tara backed out. I honestly don't care if even the big cons like Bronycon don't get any huge guests. The best thing about Bronycon for me was hanging out with all the other Ponygoons. So as long as a lot of you guys go, I'll be happy. :party:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ransom

Post by Ransom (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 am

To be honest, I totally get Tara, aside from the current Los Pegasus drama, not wanting to do a bazillion pony cons when she has kids and is already probably in demand for other cons as well.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 am

Octavia wrote:So as long as a lot of you guys go, I'll be happy. :party:
:3:

Red Terra

Post by Red Terra (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:41 am

Im trying to see this in positive light if Tara wont be coming to bronycon or other big cons

Maybe it will mean the con organizers will try harder to get their hands on lesser known members from FiM (Kathleen Barr still hasnt appeared yet :twonk: ) to make up for Tara being gone. It might also be a nice change of pace to not always have Tara come to every con and explain the same story how she got into VA and etc. Plus, Tara (and especially JDL) are expensive to invite so maybe it will reduce costs?

Now the problem is that that doesnt mean we will get actual substitutes and it might deter fans and other guests (i.e. friends of Tara) from coming because Tara isnt coming. Which is a shame really.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 am

I'm really not surprised either. Tara is a power mom and giving up time with her kids for cons became MUCH less attractive after the Unicon fiasco.

I'm sure she will be at pony cons in the long run, but she's taking a break for this year at least, and I think that's very reasonable.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 am

Diluting things definitely can't hurt. I mean, that there are -3- conventions in Ohio going/planned right now is just silly.

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 am

In the name of objectivity I'm forced to respect Tara's decision, but I think her backing out will only severely damage BAPC. She doesn't want to go out of fear the con will fail, now it very well could because its biggest guest just backed out. What if it does fail now, and she points to that failure as a good reason not to trust first year cons? She'll act like she exercised good wisdom in not attending the convention, when in reality it could fail simply because of her reactionary hissy fit. She's been to hundreds of cons in her day, 99% of them successful, yet one con fails and she flips out? She may be 40, but she needs to grow up.

SeaSpray

Post by SeaSpray » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 am

She'll act like she exercised good wisdom in not attending the convention, when in reality it could fail simply because of her reactionary hissy fit.
She has made up her mind and I think we should just respect it, and move on.

Frankly, she knows the big picture and has made the best decision for her, her family and her career. We can speculate all we want (and read between the lines), but for now let's just respect her decision.

Red Terra

Post by Red Terra (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 am

EquestriaGuy wrote: She's been to hundreds of cons in her day, 99% of them successful, yet one con fails and she flips out? She may be 40, but she needs to grow up.
Thats human nature for ya. Humans always seem to put negatives on some pedestal compared to the much more good they experience in their lives because it is not common for bad things to happen in life. Besides, she has family, other cons, and maybe shes a bit ponied out
:pinkieshrug:

I do think theres a bit too much cons from a perspective of a person who probably will never attend one and from a guest's perspective but for the people who can and want to but cant do long distance travels to the big ones, i can see why smaller cons exist.

I hope future cons, small or big wont rely on the big name VAs asmuch because i think my favorite sections from cons are the writing (outside of "How did you get into FiM?") and production panels. The VA's, while having their moments (i.e. Andrea Libman going "Yay"), are generally boring imo and dont add much to the actual show as much as the writers and production staff who generally know more of the show than the VAs. Not that i expect the VAs to know everything from the show, im just saying the production staff and wrtiers are more knowledgeable about their shit, the process of writing or animation is more interesting than what kind of tea a VA drinks, and i like Behind the Scenes stuff (like on DVDs)

Edit: And seeing people like (hopefully) Kathleen Barr and other lesser known VAs are a quite nice change of pace than always seeing Tara. Yeah, we'll still get the same "Hw did you get into FiM" "Do you watch it and call yourself a brony?" And so on but at least it's different people

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 am

Man, I sort of really regret not going to this convention.

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:03 am

Crow wrote:Man, I sort of really regret not going to this convention.
It was a great con. The panels were good, the merch was high quality and enjoyable to walk around and look at, and at no point was anyone really spilling spaghetti. I also got to meet pretty much everyone I ever wanted to, nevermind my dinner with Andrea Libman. I'd relive the weekend again if I could. It's a shame how it turned out behind the scenes, from but an average congoer's perspective it was great. Vegas is a great town too to enjoy yourself after con hours. It really is a tragedy that this happened, and there will probably never be a convention in vegas again because of the stigma left by this one.

Robotzor

Post by Robotzor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 am

Octavia wrote:I can't say that I'm all that surprised that Tara backed out. I honestly don't care if even the big cons like Bronycon don't get any huge guests. The best thing about Bronycon for me was hanging out with all the other Ponygoons. So as long as a lot of you guys go, I'll be happy. :party:
That's all sunshine and flowers, but it can be had for a substantially smaller price tag with all the con bits removed. I take the con as the sum of the whole with the meetup aspect just the gooey chocolate filling of the con's molten lava cake. Food analogy :party:

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 am

EquestriaGuy wrote:In the name of objectivity I'm forced to respect Tara's decision, but I think her backing out will only severely damage BAPC. She doesn't want to go out of fear the con will fail, now it very well could because its biggest guest just backed out. What if it does fail now, and she points to that failure as a good reason not to trust first year cons? She'll act like she exercised good wisdom in not attending the convention, when in reality it could fail simply because of her reactionary hissy fit. She's been to hundreds of cons in her day, 99% of them successful, yet one con fails and she flips out? She may be 40, but she needs to grow up.
She had a bad experience and wants to spend more time with her kids instead? God what an immature child.
tara strong ‏@tarastrong

“@ArthurCrane: @tarastrong Priorities. You have them. Fair enough.” True, missed my kid's karate tourny 4 Vegas, now he wants to quit ;(
Why can't she just grow up and neglect her kids for me??
Last edited by Pineapple on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

beau

Post by beau » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 am

ob2kenobi wrote:Yeah she been tweeting today about how LPU has made her not want to do any more cons.

She also said:

So if you wanna see her for now, try to make one of those two.
The interesting thing about that tweet is that she's currently not scheduled for any con in Phoenix.

Not Appleloosa Con (and I definitely don't see her coming now) and she's not scheduled for Phoenix Comicon either. So I wonder what she meant.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 am

Yeah, honestly, if a con 100% relies on a VA appearance to be successful, they're doing it wrong. I trust BAP to be smart and put on a great event regardless.
When John de Lancie had to cancel his appearance at BUCK 2012, the con turned out to be amazing anyway. That was less far in advance, too. It's definitely doable.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:54 am

Besides, Jayson will still be there, as well as Andy and Katie. So it's not like they lack guests.

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 am

ONE DAY...I WILL manage to go to a Con. I will make sure that this will happen. :squintyjack:

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am

Pineapple wrote:
She had a bad experience and wants to spend more time with her kids instead? God what an immature child.

Why can't she just grow up and neglect her kids for me??
Besides, part of me really thinks there should be serious consequences for a con fucking things up this badly. Don't just sweep it under the rug with some fix-it auctions and group hugs. Would-be con runners need to have a little fear of God put into them, so they seriously ask themselves whether they're ready for the responsibility, or if they can handle being thought of as the idiots who ruined it for everyone.

Mir
Apple Artisans

Post by Mir (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 am

Besides, she's still going to a few more even if she's not scheduling any more after that. If LPU left a bad taste in her mouth, hopefully those will remind her that cons can actually be a good experience.

Of course it's also perfectly reasonable to feel like she needs a break. I'd image all the traveling and public appearances are probably draining, even when you do enjoy them.

Discord

Post by Discord » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 am

Besides, Tara has given so much to this fandom already and we have no real right to demand more of her.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

Though I'm sure she doesn't mean it this way, I still can't shake the feeling that Tara is blaming the fandom a little bit for what happened at LPU. Maybe it's the fact that she's been the most outspoken about what happened there, or maybe it's the terse format of Twitter itself that makes her tweets sound a bit harsh, but when I read what she says about it I just feel awful over what happened. :fluttersmith:

I don't know why I feel that way, given that I wasn't involved with or even in attendance at LPU, but I can't help but feel bad over it anyway.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 am

Could also be con fatigue. None of these actors are really used to being in the big con circuit. Tara probably did more than the others, but even then, probably wasn't a huge name for other cons. There is probably a level of culture shock hitting them.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 am

From another thread:
Perrydotto wrote:
Rule of thumb: If it sounds like Tara Strong, it IS Tara Strong.

She's everywhere. Seriously.
From what I can tell TS is really as big of a name in voice talent as you can get. This is probably her "pulling rank". Bronies might be an intense following but they're just one fandom among many competing for her attention on top of her existing workload, and of course parenting.