[Cheese]Bronies Love Cheese

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
West Filly
Stare Masters

Re: [Cheese]Bronies Love Cheese

Post by West Filly (?) » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:56 pm

So each year there's an international christmas market at my home city. All these europeans and local stores/ trinket makers show up at the old castle to sell their festive wares, whilst wearing appropriately classy waistcoats and fancy hats. I wish I had brought a camera with me, as so many of these stalls had beautiful things. I saw cheese wheels bigger than the wheels used to keep trucks on the road. Plus, everywhere had tasters. Not just the cheese tasters, but bratwursts, gluhwein, whiskey, sloe gin... Everything you'd need to keep warm in winter.

Anyway, here's the cheese part of my loot. Apologies for the awful photography.

In that white round container there is a camembert, the cheese merchant says it's not quite ripe yet. Though it is good to eat now, he claims it will peak in about 2 weeks and be darn good for christmas.
The wedge shape in the front is a cheddar so strong that anything more than a mere slither will send its deep flavour climbing up the back of your nose and fuming out of your nostrils with each breath. Just glorious.
The big thing behind the camembert is just a nice and simple comté.
👉👉🥜🏠

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:40 am

I've honestly never tried those. Best I can get here at the cafeterias are provolone, swiss, shredded, and American. :fluttersmith:

brightman

Post by brightman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm

I got some havarti today when I went to the store. Never had it before, and now I wish I had a time machine so I could go back in time to slap myself all the while yelling, "buy havarti!" over and over. Perhaps this happened already and it was so traumatic that I blocked it from my memories...then again, perhaps not.

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 pm

This... is a thread.
:starity:

BouncyPony

Post by BouncyPony » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm

This... is a thread I must go back and read all of.

brightman

Post by brightman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm

TheLaziestBrony wrote:This... is a thread.
:starity:
Of course it is, cheese is amazing.

Warning: The recipe for Red Lobster's biscuits lie within this thread. It will be your undoing....also I get bored easily, as you will, or have already, seen.

BouncyPony

Post by BouncyPony » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Well, I tried the Denny's cheese sandwich from the first page of this thread, and I'm afraid it didn't work for me. Still, their heart is in the right place, and I salute their ingenuity. :jingo:

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Aunie Momar's Scottish Cheese Shortbread
This is a family recipe that's dead simple and a great holiday baked good for your friends who don't have much of a sweet tooth, or a great nibbly treat for a new years' party. The flavour can best be described as "God's Own Cheese Nips," and it goes very well with a dollop of red pepper jelly or tomatillo salsa. The cheese is the star of the show - DO NOT cheap out on the cheese. The sharper the better. If you're not generally one for boldness in cheeses, go a little bolder than you'd like. The baking really does soften the edge, and a mild cheese will just go bland and not taste like much of anything. For this example, I'm using extra old Balderson cheddar, because it's a 'safe' cheese and these are for co-workers, but any semi-firm cheese will do. Experiment!

What you'll need:
A 7-cup or larger food processor
2 cups (Approx. 500g) very fine cheese, grated and packed hard.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp each paprika and salt
Tabasco or other hot sauce
Worcestershire sauce
1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
Maldon salt (or other flaked sea salt)

Grate up your cheese. That may look like a lot, but it really isn't. A couple of 250g bricks will do you.
(Also, forgive the messy kitchen. These were taken in the height of the holiday baking bonanza.)

Pack the cheese hard into a measuring cup. You may want to grease the inside with a little of your unsalted butter.

Since I'm using regular old cheddar and not applewood smoked cheddar like I had planned, I used a bit of this salt. It goes very well in soups or stews, and it really adds a hint of something to this recipe.

M-I-X the flour into the bowl. Add the salt and paprika and stir it in evenly.

Cream the butter in the food processor. Add the cheese, a dash of worcestershire, and hot sauce to taste. We're not looking for these things to be spicy, just have a hint of peppery flavour.

Blend the cheese and butter until it's smooth.

Image Image
Add the flour in three stages, blending fully at each step. Your end result may be a little crumblier than mine, but that's okay.

Put a piece of plastic wrap on a flat surface. Put HALF of your dough on the wrap, and roll it out into a log about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, depending on how big you want your cookies. Roll the log up in the wrap, fold the edges, and place it in the fridge. Repeat with the other half of the dough. If you like, you can freeze half the dough for easy fresh-baked prep later.

Your dough should be very hard after an hour in the fridge. Now carefully slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices. It is very important to be consistent with the thickness. Thin ones will burn, thick ones will be doughy and gross.

Arrange the slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (an ungreased non-stick sheet is fine). Top each cookie with a pinch of flaked sea salt. The salt is really important, so don't miss any. Don't worry about spacing, these don't expand all that much, and if they end up touching they break apart easily.

Preheat the oven to 350F and place on the middle oven rack. If you don't have room for all of them in the oven, place the other sheet in the fridge and bake separately. It's easy to burn these things, and you really don't want to do that. Know how burned cheese tastes great? Yeah, these don't taste like that. Cook for 20 minutes, but check them after fifteen. When the tops of the cookies are hard, the shortbread is ready. Ones made with white cheese will go golden brown - you need to use your judgment with others.

Let cool on wire racks, and enjoy! These also make great bases for canapés. Oh, and don't fool yourself into thinking these are less fattening than all those sickly-sweet Christmas cookies. Better hope Santa gets you a treadmill.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:21 am

I normally just eat extra sharp cheddar, but over the holidays I ended up with most of a half-pound wedge of "super-aged" gouda, which, according to the website, is a little over a year old (and made locally, which is pretty cool). What I've discovered, which is probably elementary knowledge to everyone here, is that old gouda does not fuck around. I'm sure there are plenty of other kinds of even stronger cheeses that make gouda look like brie, such as even older gouda, but personally this wedge is the most cantankerous dairy product I've ever come across. It's almost as hard as a block of wood, it's got some kind of rind that may or may not be edible--I don't know--it's so brittle and flaky that I can't find a way to get it off the wedge without it turning into crumbs and powder, and it tastes... actually it tastes pretty good, but there's this bitter edge to it that turns into an alkaline or metallic aftertaste that's surprisingly powerful.
So my question is, how do you serve and eat old gouda? Do you put it on crackers? Do you pinch off bits with your fingers and powder it over your tongue while drinking beer? Do you grate it over a bowl of soup? Because I refuse to dislike this cheese and I'm going to eat all of it, and enjoy it. :rainbert:

http://www.online-literature.com/cheste ... ursions/9/
"My forthcoming work in five volumes, "The Neglect of Cheese in European Literature" is a work of such unprecedented and laborious detail that it is doubtful if I shall live to finish it. Some overflowings from such a fountain of information may therefore be permitted to springle these pages. I cannot yet wholly explain the neglect to which I refer. Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. Virgil, if I remember right, refers to it several times, but with too much Roman restraint. He does not let himself go on cheese. The only other poet I can think of just now who seems to have had some sensibility on the point was the nameless author of the nursery rhyme which says: "If all the trees were bread and cheese"--which is, indeed a rich and gigantic vision of the higher gluttony. If all the trees were bread and cheese there would be considerable deforestation in any part of England where I was living. Wild and wide woodlands would reel and fade before me as rapidly as they ran after Orpheus."
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Reviving this thread because we really need to discuss how cheese interacts with other things (not that cheese can't be good on its own). This is also slightly related to Ragnar34's question from long ago, which in some sense asks "What food does this old Gouda go with?"

For example, I recently had a very good salad with greens, pecans, dried figs, caramelized onions, balsamic vinagrette, and bleu cheese. Now I'll admit that if you gave me some bleu cheese plain or on a cracker, I probably wouldn't like it very much. But in this salad, in this kind of combination, it was amazing. :awesomedash:

There's something about the way the cheese's flavor plays off those other notes that made it work just right. What are some other good combinations?
ImageImageImage Very math.

VoodooTiki

Post by VoodooTiki » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Blue cheese goes amazingly well with tuna, scotch bonnet pepper sauce and a splash of lime.

okan170

Post by okan170 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh god, I just discovered the joy of havarti on dark rye bread. This is just so... perfect. So damn perfect! :memories:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 pm

I've been thinkin' about cheese all day. Then, suddenly, this came along:

:twonk: Need Cheese!
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Just for the record: I don´t like cheese.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Tue May 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Gross abuse of mod edit powers ITT :chillin:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue May 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Worst German ever.

WURST UND KASE! :twonk:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue May 15, 2012 11:50 pm

I've taken to snacking on celery and carrot sticks as part of my continuing, on-going effort to not be an unhealthy fat slob for the rest of my life. So, naturally, I like to eat them with a bit of extremely sharp, crumbly white cheddar. It's so good. :memories:

Also, cheese owns and anyone who says otherwise is a suspect individual. People of class and distinction are among those who enjoy cheese the most. :vogue:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:35 pm

While browsing, I came across this. It's a blastoise made entirely of cheese.

👉👉🥜🏠

confuzzler

Post by confuzzler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Philly, I'm so dang glad you revived this thread.

I love cheese almost too much. There's a store around here that has a section devoted to fancy cheeses, so I periodically go out and see what I can find. Triple cream brie is amazing, buffalo cheese is...well...it's really good for you, so there is that. Bellavitano gold cheese is like asiago with a hint of magic, and it does well by itself or with other things. Bonne bouche is one of the first fancy cheeses I tried. It's a kind of brie that's aged for six months with an ash rind that later grows fuzzy mold. The outside is horrifying, but the inside has a nice taste that starts out bitter and then leaves a kind of twangy aftertaste. I wouldn't eat a ton all at once, but it is pretty good.

Dang it, now I feel the need to go buy more cheese.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Do you know what else goes well with cheese? Macaroni! :party:
ImageImageImageImageImage

@Zebra_ebooks
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by @Zebra_ebooks (?) » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:06 pm

So how about that Italian maggot cheese? I want to try it. I bet it's positively aromatic. :allears:

Timber72

Post by Timber72 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:13 pm

LiamA wrote:So how about that Italian maggot cheese? I want to try it. I bet it's positively aromatic. :allears:
It's good actually. It tastes very rich. It also can seriously harm you!

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 am

It's not possible for me to read "maggot cheese" and not be disgusted. :vomitpony:

dilettante

Post by dilettante » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:44 am

CHEEEEEESE :twonk:

This thread was dead before I joined, but I'm glad I can contribute now!

I'm definitely a fan of the creamier cheeses. Those that are too smelly kinda put me off, but I still love blue cheese and its relatives. My current favorite is cambozola, basically a creamier Gorgonzola. It's so tasty on some toasted baguette. I've made more meals out of it than I'd like to admit. I'm also a huge fan of baked brie, even though I know there's no way it can be good for you. I will stay at awkward family gatherings for as long as the baked brie is there. It's worth all the boring conversation.

I hear lots of people are fans of cheddar? Here's one of the best places for it. They were pretty near where I went to college, so I went there and picked up some amazing cheddar. My favorites of theirs were the Hickory-Smoked Cheddar, Jalapeño Cheddar, and my favorite 8-years-aged (!) Cheddar. It was so crumbly and sharp. Too amazing for words. But that's all the way across the country for me now, so instead you can go to Costco and get a two-pound block of Cabot y years-aged extra sharp Cheddar. Makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches. Seriously.

Timber72

Post by Timber72 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

On the opposite side of the spectrum, does anyone else LOVE Velveeta? It makes for some good cheap burgers, works very very good in a grilled cheese, and I am a big fan of Velveeta in homemade mac and cheese.

Don't hate me! :ohgawd:

@Zebra_ebooks

Post by @Zebra_ebooks (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm

Velveeta, cheese singles, nacho cheese, etc. are the scourge of the earth.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Velveeta, Kraft Singles, etc. are technically not cheese. They're "pasteurized processed cheese products" :spike101:
ImageImageImageImageImage

@Zebra_ebooks

Post by @Zebra_ebooks (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Kinda like how a cow pie is a processed cow product but not a cow. :gotcha:

Yolostar
Chief Executive Lackey

Post by Yolostar (?) » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Just got some bitchin hot pepper co-jack from the deli today. This stuff makes great grilled cheese.