S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
BartonFink

S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

NOTE: This is now very much the spoiler thread. General excitement about s2 and/or S2 speculation should go in General Show Discussion/Hoofington Post threads. uh well excitement can here, speculation in the relevant threads I guess!

Episode 24: MMMystery on the Friendship Express
A cake Pinkie Pie is guarding for a contest is ruined on the way to Canterlot and an investigation begins.
Air Date: April 7, 2012

WEEK BREAK GOES HERE :fluttersmith:

Episode 25/26: A Canterlot Wedding
Synopsis (25): Twilight's brother, Shining Armor, is marrying Princess Celestia's niece, Cadence.
Synopsis (26): Twilight discovers a dark secret about Cadence right before the wedding.
Air Date: April 21, 2012

Info on Wedding Episode:
Earliest indications came from this photo: these two.

TV Guide extended synopsis: Image

Oh and it will involve these things:

:sweetielarm: :sweetielarm: IMAGE DUMP :sweetielarm: :sweetielarm:
So on 03/15/12, The Hub website released a game where you can see an upcoming clip if you complete a puzzle. Well, the puzzle images were from upcoming episodes.

I'll avoid direct speculation on the wealth (23) of upcoming screen caps that we have, though matching them against episode descriptions shouldn't be that hard. (also thanks Cosmo)
(7 were from "Dragon Quest" and are gone; 5 were from "Hurricane Fluttershy" and are gone)

SUGARCUBE CORNER IS DOING OKAY

Alfred Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes (trains, mysteries)

SEW WHAT

NOTE: The MLP Facebook page sometimes releases screenshots/etc of upcoming episodes when they feel like it! Also sometimes there's clips leaked to Wired or Toon Zone or TV Guide somewhere else!

We know rather little about the upcoming ones outside of those descriptions. :fluttersmith:

CONFIRMED SPOILERY STUFF THOUGH IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE FOR SEASON 3 MAYBE I GUESS???
SCOOTALOO GETS EPISODE (in season 3 I guess!)
And it's supposedly "out of character" whatever that means. It is here.
Double confirmed by Jayson Thiessen himself basically

TWILIGHT GETS (AT LEAST) A SONG
Per this Daniel Ingram Interview which is also a good read all around!

Miscellaneous/not episode specific stuff
- Some stuff from a Jayson Thiessen interview (thanks NISSL):
- There will be episodes dealing with mechanics and history of Equestria in Season 2, as in Season 1.
- Plenty of new Easter eggs including things that may "jump right out at you."
- Plenty of episodic characters are returning, and several minor characters will be developed more.
- No apparent plans to do a "22 short stories from Springfield" episode.
- Thiessen likes real character growth but it's about finding "the right time."
- "It's only season 2, there's got to be room for more."
- "There's some great villains coming up, and they aren't always evil creatures, they can be anypony."
- Salvador Dali references not included in Season 2 <--- he was full of shit, this happened
- Some MORE stuff from Headless Horse's visit to BroNYcon (read his whole post it owns). Crossed out stuff that already happened:
- One guy getting his con poster signed asked for Jayson to give up some kind of hint for Episode 3. Maybe in riddle form? Jayson hemmed and hawed for a bit, then said "Tick-tock, time's running out".
- [Some] guy was all like "Will the flower ponies show up again? Specifically Roseluck? :haw:" (and was all like "Yessss!" when Jayson said sure why not)
- There are more 2-parters coming. He says they're a lot more work, but the results are worth it.
- There's a "scary" episode on the way.
- Derpy? He says she's definitely going to be around. "In fact, there may even be a specific Derpy 'bit'."
- There won't really be any "heavy" stories coming that they can foresee. They're going to be staying away from that kind of thing.
- We "may" see more of the ponies' parents.
- What was it like working with John de Lancie? Oh it was great, from all you can gather from a Skype conversation (c'mon, the voice acting director's a whole different person/stage of production, and all Jayson would have really had in the way of interaction with him was a preliminary get-to-know interview). But "I sure wouldn't mind getting him back again". With all that implies.
- Do the CMCs get their cutie marks? "I don't know, we haven't really figured that out yet." Read: no
- "There is a new villain." (He put on an "oh shit" expression right after this, like he legitimately didn't mean to let that slip out.)
- There has been no serious talk about adding humans, sea ponies, or other G1 elements to the show. (Nor does Jayson seem to really have any familiarity with any of the previous gens.)
-The season apparently includes some "brony" material, take that how you will. Also it is apparently good, which is good.
-This may or may be a thing but a blown up Comic Con poster potentially shows a new character (one on the right is Cherry who was a background pony in s1; one on the left is potentially new). UPDATE: May or may not be Pipsqueak or equivalent doppelganger.

This OP is updating regularly. Tell me more and I'll add it thx!

(Note: thread title is reference to the show Cowboy Bebop, which ends with Spike dying. I would be v. surprised if MLP's Spike actually dies in s2)

if any information is wrong i am sorry
Last edited by BartonFink on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 97 times in total.

blonk

Re: Spike Dies: Season 2 Info/Spoilers Thread

Post by blonk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:29 pm

As a pony fan and someone who finally got around to watching Cowboy Bebop, I hate this thread.

Just kidding, it's great. Hoping that the brony nod isn't too over the top and more of a subtle approach to thank the older demographic!

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Never watched Cowboy Bebop but I still know the spoiler.

I am a terrible anime fan.

Super_Tron

Post by Super_Tron » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I am on pins and needles.
I can't wait.

Ponder

Post by Ponder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Chunky wrote:I am a terrible anime fan.
A little redundant there, eh Chunky? :iamapony:

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Can this thread double as a speculation thread? I know we don't have much to go off (but some, which I'll talk about if I get the ok), but it should pick up the closer we get to S2 and details get leaked.

fenster

Post by fenster » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 pm

That's it, I'm out. Its been a good run everybody, but it's time to jump off before this ship hits the deep end.

SirTopHat

Post by SirTopHat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:46 pm

fenster wrote:
That's it, I'm out. Its been a good run everybody, but it's time to jump off before this ship hits the deep end.
Why? It sounds perfect to me. I always expected Season 2 would be great, this just affirms it.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:48 pm

fenster wrote:
Most of Season 2 was written before Season 1 even aired, so there's no way the fandom will affect the show in any major way.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Casual Viewing wrote:Can this thread double as a speculation thread? I know we don't have much to go off (but some, which I'll talk about if I get the ok), but it should pick up the closer we get to S2 and details get leaked.
As long as we don't fall into "I HOPE TRIXIE COMES BACK AND DOES THE FOLLOWING THINGS:" territory (which I know you didn't mean), sure, why not.
fenster wrote:That's it, I'm out. Its been a good run everybody, but it's time to jump off before this ship hits the deep end.
I know this is (hopefully) hyperbole but as mentioned I wouldn't read too much into it. My guess is the fanbase shoutouts are gonna be quick side elements (like Derpy in the background) that can be easily ignored if you prefer, as opposed to a fundamental change in how the show operates. The timeline of the writing would seem to back this up.

(hey, i'm speculating already)

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:32 pm

I get where the concerns about the fandom derailing the show come from, but to be honest I just can't imagine it becoming a big problem. Everything we've seen from the people working on the show really makes me think that they're not the type to decide "okay Trixie is secretly Twilight's half-sister and Gilda has an unrequited crush on Dash" no matter how badly (some of) the fans want it.

I'm sure there are some people who really, genuinely will enjoy the show less if there are more Derpy cameos or other fandom nods in the background, and I think that's a shame; just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean that their complaints are invalid. For the most part, though, I don't think it's going to affect the quality of the show as a whole.

The one email kind of makes me think that there might be a little more than just background details, but I can't really imagine what that might be. I'm certain we're not going to be seeing any major changes because of it, though.
Last edited by Weird Autumn on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Fandom didn't derail Powerpuff Girls or Dexter or a bunch of other stuff. We'll be fine. :pinkietoot:

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:06 am

BartonFink wrote:As long as we don't fall into "I HOPE TRIXIE COMES BACK AND DOES THE FOLLOWING THINGS:" territory (which I know you didn't mean), sure, why not.
Well.......
What I have in mind is less here's-what-I-hope-they-do and more if-they-decide-to-do-this-they-might-do-it-this-way-knowing-their-style. I realize it's 2 degrees away from fanfiction, but it's care-free guessing and at most the right to say "called it" if something ends up being correct. If that's not wanted I'll stop/delete this garbage.

Luna:
- Will either end up at Celestia's side and show up whenever she does and with about the same frequency as Celestia has in S1. And/or, she will have her own episode where she is sent by her sister and has to learn about friendship in much the same way as Twilight did in Ep1. But old habits die hard, and Luna still has a little bit of Nightmare Moon in her that shows through when she gets too swept up in things, to lighthearted comedic effect. Stuff like sabotaging AJ's neighbors'/competitors' crops or something. Pinkie Pie will be her favorite pony, because of parties. Luna will party too hard and keep everyone up all night.

Minty:
- I don't want them to bring her back, but if they did... Minty is an old "friend" of Pinkie's from way back in the day, and is now suddenly back in town. She acts exactly like Pinkie except maybe more of a klutz, and Pinkie finds her terribly annoying and won't believe it when the other ponies don't mind her and say things about "getting used to ponies like her a long time ago". You know how you hate recordings of your own voice and it weirds you out because you refuse to accept that that's what you sound like to other people? Yeah, just like that.

Actual thread relevant info:- "Officially" Trixie is not in S2. A while back one of the staff was chatting and doing an interview and mentioned that they were surprised how popular she was and that at that point she was not included in any of the episodes. Trixie is not coming back.

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:19 am

Hell yes! Season 2 speculation station!

Snails kills Dumblederp.

Seriously, though, I'm really interested to see how much continuity there's going to be with the events of the first season. The execs were pretty adamant that there wouldn't be a giant arc, but on more than one occasion they raised up events of previous episodes in a manner that not having seen any other episodes wouldn't detract from the story.

Honestly, I'd really like to see an episode about Luna going through the process of adjusting to life back in Equestria, and earning the forgiveness of the populace. I'd also like to see Owloysius make more appearances. He's too great to be a throwaway.

VaultAggie

Post by VaultAggie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 am

I wonder if the CMC's will get their cutie marks this season and if so, if they'll get them at the same time.

Henry Plainview

Post by Henry Plainview » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 am

VaultAggie wrote:I wonder if the CMC's will get their cutie marks this season and if so, if they'll get them at the same time.
I think they would get them at the same time, although I don't know how they would handle it. The CMC Quest sort of reached a climax with Cutie Mark Chronicles, but actually resolving it seems like something they wouldn't want to do.
Momar wrote:I'd also like to see Owloysius make more appearances. He's too great to be a throwaway.
As long as there aren't any more goddamn "Who?" jokes.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 am

VaultAggie wrote:I wonder if the CMC's will get their cutie marks this season and if so, if they'll get them at the same time.
To me, stuff like CMCs getting their Cutie Marks is something that will never happen except in a series finale.

As for me, I want to see another baby dragon just for one episode, as a chance for Spike to talk to someone of his own kind (without having to worry about a larger one trying to kill/eat him)

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:55 am

Momar wrote:Hell yes! Season 2 speculation station!

Snails kills Dumblederp.
That's exactly what I initially thought reading the thread title.

There's still three more months between now and 2.01. I don't expect this thread to really become relevant for about six more weeks *not to say this thread is useless, if anybody somehow DOESN'T know yet...)

Also, wasn't the appearance of Nightmare Moon confirmed, not Luna? I suppose they go hand in hand, but you never know...
ImageImageImage

blonk

Post by blonk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 am

That kind of situation is ripe for a CMC episode - one of them getting their mark and the other two trying to cope with it. Seeing how their not so secret society is built around the three of them not having cutie marks, it would be interesting to see what would happen. Then again, I can't really see it happening, unless all three of them get a mark within the span of the same episode.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 am

Davyinatoga wrote:Also, wasn't the appearance of Nightmare Moon confirmed, not Luna? I suppose they go hand in hand, but you never know...
From what I remember, it was specifically Luna, not NMM.

It's buried somewhere in Faust's DA comments, so it would only take a month or so to find it. :v:

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 am

I propose a "What is Luna's Personality" bingo card. The center square could be "contrite." Possibilities for other squares: insouciant, bitter, quiet, good singer, horrible singer, palette-swapped Twilight, palette-swapped Fluttershy, palette-swapped Applejack, pissy, prissy, wily, dippy, catty, sissy, ditsy, pathetic, unsympathetic, unprincipled, or sleepy.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 am

fenster wrote:
Considering how skilled the writers of the show have been thus far, I'm reasonably sure that they can handle it decently. I doubt there will be anything like constant Derpy DURRRRRRRRRR-ing in episodes.

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:30 am

blonk wrote:That kind of situation is ripe for a CMC episode - one of them getting their mark and the other two trying to cope with it. Seeing how their not so secret society is built around the three of them not having cutie marks, it would be interesting to see what would happen. Then again, I can't really see it happening, unless all three of them get a mark within the span of the same episode.
I was going to joke about Scootaloo pulling off a Sonic Rainboom of her own (maybe on a scooter), somehow earning all 3 of them their cutie mark, but now I'm not so sure I should be joking...

... naw. They wouldn't do that. Probably.

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:44 am

I know it's played out but I would legit like a Gilda or Trixie return with a moral of forgiveness being important no matter how much of a jerk you think someone was or something. Honestly we all know the walls of text about how either of them weren't REALLY the bad guy or whatever, but I think forgiveness and understanding are a really crucial moral for kids and all.

Of course, we could just get this with Luna instead, which would also be good.

Also the CMC episode with one getting their mark, I think that'd be good and fit the whole friendship is magic (tm) ideals and all.

:gah: :nngh: Aw gee Sweetie, you're still our friend even if you finally figured out that your ability to suddenly form a gospel singer's voice at a child's age was your special talent.

:ohboy: Yay, but for real I got a recording contract in Canterlot, love ya girls but I'm out.

Killing Vector

Post by Killing Vector » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 am

Davyinatoga wrote:Also, wasn't the appearance of Nightmare Moon confirmed, not Luna? I suppose they go hand in hand, but you never know...
The comment Lauren Faust made was specifically about Luna. In fact, here it is. There was also a later exchange where someone asked her if season 2 would have a villain like NMM or [some G1 baddie], to which she said 'yes'. You might be thinking of that.
MochaBean wrote:It's buried somewhere in Faust's DA comments, so it would only take a month or so to find it. :v:
Someone on /co/ scraped Faust's DA comments section to get only the comments made by her, and I nabbed a copy of it. This was back in mid-March, though, so I don't have easy access to anything after that (such as the comment about a season 2 villain I mentioned above)

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 am

Bring back the Smooze.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 am

shotgunbadger wrote:Bring back the Smooze.
Nothing can stop the Smooze, not even 15 years and 3 generations of toys.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:08 am

Possible CMC plot:

One of the girls gets tired of waiting and being subjected to mockery all the time, so she gets a fake cutie mark (has it drawn on, temporary tattoo, something non-permanent.) The other two think it's real, and we get to see how the girls getting cutie marks at different times would gum up their sisterhood, without the situation being for keeps. Possibly the two remaining blank-flanks unwittingly ostracize the one with the mark, the mark possessor starts to hang out with a different crowd, or something along those lines, and all three start to feel guilty for their actions and miss their real friends.

At the end, the ruse is revealed, the fillies apologize to one another, the moral is that you shouldn't turn on your friends over superficial things, and the status quo is maintained.

:pinkieshrug:

Grue

Post by Grue » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 am

About Luna: her appearance was confirmed both by Lauren Faust (linked above) and a Top Draw animator here: http://kreoss.deviantart.com/journal/40422730/

Because of that post, it is believed that Luna will appear within the first 7 episodes of S2 (or 9, if you count S1 leftover episodes). Also it seems like there is only one Luna episode among those Kreoss have seen at that time.

counterfeitsaint

Post by counterfeitsaint » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:01 am

Any sort of CMC gets their cutie marks episode would have to be handled...delicately. Them all getting them together would be pretty lame really, it just happening to one or two and them dealing with the fallout could work.
MochaBean wrote:Possible CMC plot:

One of the girls gets tired of waiting and being subjected to mockery all the time, so she gets a fake cutie mark (has it drawn on, temporary tattoo, something non-permanent.) The other two think it's real, and we get to see how the girls getting cutie marks at different times would gum up their sisterhood, without the situation being for keeps. Possibly the two remaining blank-flanks unwittingly ostracize the one with the mark, the mark possessor starts to hang out with a different crowd, or something along those lines, and all three start to feel guilty for their actions and miss their real friends.

At the end, the ruse is revealed, the fillies apologize to one another, the moral is that you shouldn't turn on your friends over superficial things, and the status quo is maintained.

:pinkieshrug:
This would be acceptable.

counterfeitsaint

Post by counterfeitsaint » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 am

I mentioned this in irc a long time ago, but there really needs to be an 'pets go on an adventure together' episode, and save Equestria without any of the ponies being aware of it. Angel and Gummy and Winona and Owlicious all hanging out together. The number of fucks not given would be truly epic.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 am

counterfeitsaint wrote:Angel and Gummy and Winona and Owlicious all hanging out together. The number of fucks not given would be truly epic.
They try to get Opal to come along, but she's all, "Fuck that noise."

Grue

Post by Grue » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 am

While the concept is interesting, I don't see "pet episode" working out. Animals can't talk and have incredibly one-dimensional personalities. It's like your average CMC episode, but even worse.

Beach episode, on the other hand... It just cannot be not awesome. :chillin:

counterfeitsaint

Post by counterfeitsaint » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 am

Grue wrote:While the concept is interesting, I don't see "pet episode" working out. Animals can't talk and have incredibly one-dimensional personalities. It's like your average CMC episode, but even worse.

Beach episode, on the other hand... It just cannot be not awesome. :chillin:
Yeah. Maybe Spike or someone can come along so there is actual dialogue, even if from one person. It would be hard, but a good storyteller may be able to pull it off. Can't believe I forgot about Opal :(

If there is a beach episode I swear to god there better be a bear in the background. And he had better be seen both collecting volleyballs and also playing seashells.

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 am

Personally I want an episode about background ponies while the 'real' story goes on around them. Like, obviously I don't want 'lol fill this with memes' or something but I'd love seeing fan favorites like Lyra and Bon Bon just kinda doing their own thing while Twilight runs around spazzing out about a hydra and Fluttershy's fear of topiary or something.

:iamapony: Oh that silly Twilight always panicking about some little detail...Anyway I was thinking we should all go to Fillydelphia for their pie festival or something.

:chillin: Awesome, let's all go.

With the main six in the background running around grabbing random tools and shit.

Pyrovile

Post by Pyrovile » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am

I'd like to see an episode where the main cast spend the majority of the episode trying to solve a major problem, only for it to be solved by background ponies at the very end. Like that Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa try to save Itchy and Scratchy but at the end they are saved two kids that are basically clones of them.
Really though I just want to see these guys acting as a B-team.

Glazius

Post by Glazius » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 pm

counterfeitsaint wrote:I mentioned this in irc a long time ago, but there really needs to be an 'pets go on an adventure together' episode, and save Equestria without any of the ponies being aware of it. Angel and Gummy and Winona and Owlicious all hanging out together. The number of fucks not given would be truly epic.
"Agent A, Dr. Hoofenshmirtz has bought out the entire Tristate area's supplies of hay, bridles, and molasses. Find out what he's up to and put a stop to it."

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm

You guys... do you realize we just passed the halfway point in our wait for Season 2? :gonkity:

Flippity Flop

Post by Flippity Flop » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 pm

blonk wrote: That kind of situation is ripe for a CMC episode - one of them getting their mark and the other two trying to cope with it. Seeing how their not so secret society is built around the three of them not having cutie marks, it would be interesting to see what would happen. Then again, I can't really see it happening, unless all three of them get a mark within the span of the same episode.
I personally think it would be more interesting if two of them get their marks in a short span of time, leaving the remaining one to feel both happy for her friends for their newfound discovery, and yet hideously jealous about the entire thing. Any of the three going through a Pinkamana-esque stage because of that would work, though Scoot would probably be the most interesting (YMMV, but she and Belle haven't gotten too much attention by themselves).

And the moral could be ''Don't sit on your butt and complain about a situation that could be remedied by your putting in some effort'', or something.
Glazius wrote:"Agent A, Dr. Hoofenshmirtz has bought out the entire Tristate area's supplies of hay, bridles, and molasses. Find out what he's up to and put a stop to it."
:golfclop:

Rainbow Crash
Rainbow Racers

Post by Rainbow Crash (?) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd love to see something along the lines of "22 Short Films About Ponyville". It would be fun to see little slices of life from all the background characters and flesh them out a bit. I don't know how they would wrangle a moral out of it, though.
:fancyhat: