Anime Thread!

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Soft Snow

Re: Anime Thread!

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 am

Any thoughts on who will win the Tournament of Power? I'm betting Freeza for the win.
:allears:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:57 am

I finished JoJo and now it's time to find something else.

I've heard a mixed review of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid so I'm giving it a try now.
As with a lot of anime, I can't decide whether I think it's cute or seedy and I'm going with both.

I think I'm just going to tear through a few shorter animes like this one before embarking on anything as long as JoJo again.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am

Dragon maid was great. Some of the things Kobayashi said about her life resonated, particularly her "I've never felt wanted" speech. Also I think Tohru's attitudes are a great take on the whole "curse of the immortal" trope.

Now I'm watching Yuri on ice. The first episode makes the characters seem quite bland. The only ray of hope for this show at this point is that Victor and the skating scenes are pretty. An issue I'm having with this show is just how much people raved about this show in the past compared to how ordinary it has been thus far.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 am

Okay Victor's character and body are carrying the show.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm

I could never really get into Yuri on Ice because the skating scenes kind of bored me (probably why I'm not a sports anime person in general) but I liked Yurio because he's a horrible baby.

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm

YoI doesn't get good until the 2nd half imo.
SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 am

I watched "Tokyo Godfathers" tonight, seeing how it's Christmas time. I'm a fan of Satoshi Kon's work that I've seen so I had been meaning to watch it for a while now and it just seemed like the right time. Very good film with a really lovable main cast and really heartwarming moments.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:47 am

Super Eye Patch Wolf blesses us with an early Christmas gift.

Also after watching all the parts of JJBA, part 4 is definitely my favorite.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:34 pm

"HE KEEPS SUMMONING HARVESTS UNDERNEATH HIM LIKE A CATERPILLAR TRACK"

The more I see things like part 4, Friendship is Magic, Steven Universe, the more I begin to think that emotional intelligence is becoming a hugely important theme in writing. It's what's sorely lacking in [insert comic book movie title here]
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Here were my favorite animes of 2017:

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Little Witch Academia
Konosuba 2
Girls Last Tour
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
My Hero Academia 2
Blend-S

There are still some shows from this past year I want to catch. Of the shows this year so far I've watched the first episode of Pop Team Epic, which is a shitpost in anime form and I plan to continue. I'm also halfway through Devilman Crybaby on Netflix after seeing my twitter timeline losing their mind over it and that show is a trip. I'd suggest checking it out but be forewarned it is extremely violent and full of sexual content. So don't want it if you can't handle that sort of thing.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm

I've been reading too much Kitaro lately and all I can think of is it must be just so goddamn difficult to be Kitaro's dad. That child's always getting himself nearly killed and his dad's like one inch tall and an eyeball. Is this what it's like to be old? :-I

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm currently on Crunchyroll. For the first time it appears as though I'm following anime as it comes out rather than catching up on an entire series.

In order of interest/excitement I have my eyes on:

Uma Musume Pretty Derby - From the two episodes so far it seems to be an anime about a horsegirl from the country who attends a prestigious city academy in order to become the best horsegirl track racer in Japan. It's a cute anime that somehow manages to combine kemonomimi, sports/competition anime and even idols.

Lupin III Part 5 - They seem to set the sleaze to 11 in the opening and closing credits, but otherwise this looks to be exactly the kind of fun I was expecting. It's wacky thieving shenanigans all over again. I think I'm in a fortunate position where I don't remember Lupin III all too vividly from my childhood. It's fortunate because I'm not in a position to be disappointed if they don't "represent it faithfully" or whatever. I legit can barely remember what happened in anything other than the feature film. So long as Fujiko remains the ultimate intelligence in the whole show I'm happy.

Comic Girls - It's about high school girls who attend a manga drawing school. From the one episode we have, it seems to be one of those anime that has cutesy hyperactive girls delve into the true joy of a particular interest/hobby. I watch it because it's cute and also because I can relate to the things they bring up about art and drawing.

Kakuriyo - Bed & Breakfast for Spirits - The whole tragic past angle is a little offputting but the cute spirit world creatures claw me back. Forced marriage stinks and just adds to the offputting tragic past, but the protagonist has a way out of it which involves starting a restaurant with a cute nine tailed fox. There's a mystery to all this which has cleverly hooked me in, and I'm getting Fruit's Basket vibes at the moment.

Megalobox - Mechanically augmented boxing fights in a world that appears to have limited access to citizenship and themes of corporate elitism. It seems like a typical fighting anime, but it has an aesthetic and I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding.

Also I just finished watching Yuru camp and if you haven't seen it yet then go see it.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Watching Violet Evergarden and it's totally my jam.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am

I just finished Violet Evergarden last night and it wrecked me pretty hard. Beautifully done show with the seldom explored subject matter of life after war.

My Hero Academia s3 has been pretty fun so far. Persona 5 The Animation is playing it really safe and boring, which is too be expected with these Persona anime adaptations (the Persona 4 anime was the same way) but I wish it were more creative. It just feels like I'm watching an abridged let's play that isn't nearly as visually striking as the game.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 pm

I had to stop at episode 11 (Until my schedule clears again). The episode with the letters from the mom and the letter from the soldier just wrecked me bigtime...
:cry:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Today's episode of Comic Girls sure was a thing.

This must have been hilarious as a manga. Even as an anime the meta comes through.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Aggretsuko is so relatable. Also, Washimi and Gori are amazing!

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 pm

So... apparently, Megalo Box is a spiritual futuristic retelling of Ashita no Joe

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Looks like it, but I like how the classist vibes are super exaggerated in this vision of the future. Particularly now that machines are involved, the rich can buy themselves an upper hand.

Also, the show has mood.

I like it. I think some of the mafia parts are a little too gritty but the boxing parts make up for it.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:05 pm

ps anime thread i'm streaming the ghibli movie The Cat Returns right now sorry i didn't tell you sooner https://synchtu.be/r/wyrdautumn

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:58 pm

West Filly wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:08 pm
Looks like it, but I like how the classist vibes are super exaggerated in this vision of the future. Particularly now that machines are involved, the rich can buy themselves an upper hand.

Also, the show has mood.

I like it. I think some of the mafia parts are a little too gritty but the boxing parts make up for it.
But will it have the two most iconic AnJ scenes?
:-I

Third if you include Rikiishi coming in on his bicycle?
:smirk:

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 pm

The Cat Returns is great, by the way.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am

Watched through all of Aggretsuko last night and it was great and wayyy to relatable. Also hilarious. Really easy to binge on, too, since it's so short.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Uma Musume is a treasure for this world

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Wotakoi remains excellent

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm

So... gonna be controversial.

Was recommended Symphogear, watched it -- and it's so ludicrous that it's awesome, it's also all the things I was promised Steven Universe was, but actually good.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:55 pm

They are both great and gay.
Image /// Image /// Image

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 pm

I have become the anime.

Aka I was in Japan for 2 weeks and I visited basically all the Love Live and Love Live Sunshine locations and it was great.

Now I look at stuff and go 'Oh! Gosh. That place! I've been there.'

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:35 am

Awesome :allears:
Image /// Image /// Image

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 am

Juju&Lulu wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:47 am
Also after watching all the parts of JJBA
Not for long. Part 5, Vento Aureo, will be animated. The first ep premiers in July, but part 5 really comes out in October. Crunchyroll article
ImageImageImage Very math.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:33 am

A good problem to have

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:53 am

Perrydotto wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:35 am
Awesome :allears:
It very much was. What is coming next however also hopefully will be but oh gods I think it will be embarrassing as heck :v:

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Crossposting from PPPP. Sentai-filmworks has a huge summer sale on Anime at https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collec ... -sale-2018
ImageImageImage Very math.

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Anyone watching the new season of Overlord? I overly love it! 8D
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 pm

So I've been watching a few currently running anime: My Hero Academia continues to entertain with its very endearing cast of characters.

I've also been watching Asobi Asobase which, if I were to describe it, would be... a more vulgar Nichijou? This show is all about the wild character expressions and is proving to be very funny.

Cells at Work! is an anime version of Osmosis Jones, taking place within the human body and following the exploits of the cells that dwell within personified as anime characters. It mainly focuses on a specific Red and White Blood Cell. I'm really loving this show and its world building, which is surprisingly scientifically accurate.

As for an older anime, I'm currently watching Wandering Son. It's about a young boy who desires to be a girl and a young girl who desires to be a boy and the two come to realize they're both trans. It's hard to find good LGBT representation in media, let alone in anime, when it so often gets relegated to lazy and tired jokes, but Wandering Son handles the topic wonderfully.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:40 pm

"The Night is Short, Walk on Girl" was just playing in select theaters. It's a film by Masaki Yuasa, who also did the popular Netflix anime "Devilman Crybaby" (though this is significantly less sexual and violent). It was really good! A very fun, colorful romp with a lot of very charming and endearing characters.

The was one aspect of the film that didn't really sit right with me though: (spoilers) there's a crossdressing gag with one of the characters that comes up as a plot point. One of the main character's friends is a pretty, effeminate looking male who we are told "likes to dress up as a girl to trick hapless men into falling in love with him." This comes up as a plot point near the end of the movie where had had tricked another one of the characters into falling in love with him just to pull a "sike, I'm actually a dude!" It's a pretty tired and overdone joke and the whole "men in drag to trick other men" thing is really eyerolling and unfunny.

Aside from THAT, it's a lot of fun and I recommend it.

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:47 am

hey nerds legend of the galactic heroes is super good, lives up to the hype, and is on hidive in its entirety

watch it if you like:

1. space
2. space opera
3. space ships
4. political intrigue
5. great character development
6. ~beautiful boy~ reinhard
7. yang wen-li, the best character in maybe any anime thing??
8. some fucking great hand drawn animation
9. no filler or fanservice garbage
10. This opening, which is one of my favorite anime openings? like, kaiba and lain tier here

its the thing i like the most now other than tatami galaxy which im afraid is still the best anime ever

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue was brought back to theaters for a limited time here in the US (it played last night in Japanese and it's playing again on the 10th dubbed in English). I caught last night's showing (I've seen the movie before but I was not going to pass up this rare opportunity to see the film on the big screen). Perfect Blue is one of my favorite films and really is a masterpiece that feels like it was ahead of its time considering it was made in 1997. Kon's direction is amazing and I feel like every time I see the film I pick up on something new. It still makes me sad how Kon was taken from this world far too soon when he still had more stories to tell.

I just wish Perfect Blue would get a bluray release here in the states. It's currently only available on an out of print DVD that's hard to come by and expensive. I own the movie through a promotional DVD copy that was given out to media outlets in Greece (it has English subs and the dub).

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm rewatching Utena right now and I'll be using this thread to dump thoughts. Be warned for spam.

First thought: the theme tune still holds up and is catchy as heck.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm

This is really good to watch for a second time.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ